Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #251  
Old 12-05-2007, 10:55 AM
jsc1953 jsc1953 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 9,259
Something I never noticed in my previous 40 viewings...maybe somebody else did, but I'll be damned if I'm going to read through 5 pages to find out...

When Cornelius & the Bumble go over the cliff, Burl Ives intones "they were all saddened at the loss of their friend", and all the reindeers bow their heads.

Except Clarice. Apparently she wasn't sad at all. Bitch.
  #252  
Old 12-05-2007, 11:15 AM
Philster Philster is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 10,482
Whole frigging Rudolph thing dusgusts me. Ain't no Rudolph, and if there was, I suspect that he would have lucked out getting some tail like Clarice, because she must have other things in mind for that glowing/humming honker that dufus Rudolph has.
  #253  
Old 12-05-2007, 11:23 AM
BMalion BMalion is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 9,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953
Something I never noticed in my previous 40 viewings...maybe somebody else did, but I'll be damned if I'm going to read through 5 pages to find out...

When Cornelius & the Bumble go over the cliff, Burl Ives intones "they were all saddened at the loss of their friend", and all the reindeers bow their heads.

Except Clarice. Apparently she wasn't sad at all. Bitch.
No, that had not been mentioned.

Good call!
  #254  
Old 11-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Annie-Xmas Annie-Xmas is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 44,848
Since everything has been the election and the economy, I thought we would use a break. In the BEST SDMB Thread Bumping tradition, here's Rudolph.
  #255  
Old 11-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Khadaji Khadaji is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Southern Pennsylvania
Posts: 21,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Since everything has been the election and the economy, I thought we would use a break. In the BEST SDMB Thread Bumping tradition, here's Rudolph.
There's a Rudolph sighting already? What day and what time?
  #256  
Old 11-04-2008, 02:00 PM
kingpengvin kingpengvin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Elextrolux Starsucker4000
Posts: 3,140
Too soon... too soon!
Can't I still enjoy the Halloween afterglow?!?! Don't rush Christmas!!!!
  #257  
Old 11-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Avast Avast is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 11
You just bumped it! You can't UN-bump it!
  #258  
Old 11-04-2008, 02:40 PM
DrFidelius DrFidelius is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Miskatonic University
Posts: 11,940
This is pushing the season too much. Rudolph shouldn't reappear until Thanksgiving.
  #259  
Old 11-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Walloon Walloon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: America's Dairyland
Posts: 12,780
Several of the Rudolph sequels are already scheduled on the ABC Family channel, but no sighting yet of the original Rankin-Bass special from 1964, which usually plays on ABC itself.
  #260  
Old 11-06-2008, 07:28 AM
BMalion BMalion is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 9,706
Too early.
  #261  
Old 11-06-2008, 07:37 AM
kittenblue kittenblue is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 6,602
But....we need a little Christmas, right this very minute......
  #262  
Old 11-06-2008, 11:33 AM
mobo85 mobo85 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Bloomingdale, NJ
Posts: 9,387
Yeah, Rudolph isn't the guy who comes before Thanksgiving to mark the new start of the Christmas season- it's the Grinch over on TBS. (November 15 this year.)

But since Rudy's been brought back for '08- It's Time for Regis! And Rudolph! And...The Trumpster?

Last edited by mobo85; 11-06-2008 at 11:35 AM.
  #263  
Old 11-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Hazle Weatherfield Hazle Weatherfield is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 3,837
Hijack...See, now I'm really confused. How is this not a Zombie and not just a bump? I'm sure I've seen threads newer than this closed as being Zombies. Can someone clear it up for me? Thanks!
  #264  
Old 11-06-2008, 11:53 AM
mobo85 mobo85 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Bloomingdale, NJ
Posts: 9,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazle Weatherfield View Post
Hijack...See, now I'm really confused. How is this not a Zombie and not just a bump? I'm sure I've seen threads newer than this closed as being Zombies. Can someone clear it up for me? Thanks!
This thread is sort of like a Christmas tradition on this board, and thus is bumped every year around the time the Rudolph special airs. This time, it was bumped early.
  #265  
Old 11-06-2008, 12:04 PM
jayjay jayjay is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 36,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazle Weatherfield View Post
Hijack...See, now I'm really confused. How is this not a Zombie and not just a bump? I'm sure I've seen threads newer than this closed as being Zombies. Can someone clear it up for me? Thanks!
We have special dispensation for the Rudolph thread. Just like the special itself, the thread is a Christmas-time tradition that we're allowed to "re-run". Somebody just figured the end-of-campaign tension would be alleviated a bit with a fun thread that everyone pretty much loves.
  #266  
Old 11-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Ellen Cherry Ellen Cherry is offline
Writer on the storm
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Near Eskippakithiki
Posts: 11,425
THIS relieves tension? Bird murder, socieopathic toys, abusive shop foremen, gender-confused dentists and animal dismemberment? All in the name of "the holiday spirit?"

We are, indeed, a twisted group. RIP, Poopah, and merry early Christmas, everyone.
  #267  
Old 11-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Khadaji Khadaji is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Southern Pennsylvania
Posts: 21,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobo85 View Post
Yeah, Rudolph isn't the guy who comes before Thanksgiving to mark the new start of the Christmas season- it's the Grinch over on TBS. (November 15 this year.)

But since Rudy's been brought back for '08- It's Time for Regis! And Rudolph! And...The Trumpster?
I always post an early Grinch spotting, but it never goes over.
  #268  
Old 11-06-2008, 12:12 PM
jayjay jayjay is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 36,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Cherry View Post
RIP, Poopah, and merry early Christmas, everyone.
Oh, gosh...I always forget that poopah chalupa (grhs) was the OP of this monstrosity!
  #269  
Old 11-29-2008, 03:27 PM
RachelChristine RachelChristine is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: My House
Posts: 820
Just caught the air date of this -- Wednesday December 3, 8 pm, CBS
Set your DVR or whatever to record a few extra minutes. The past few years mine has cut off early, and so I still can't answer the burning question -- Is it murder or suicide?
  #270  
Old 11-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Annie-Xmas Annie-Xmas is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 44,848
It's time to get this thread bumped,
Cause we do it every year.
Dex says it's okay
So step into the Cafe
For a Straight Dope cup of cheer.

It's time to get this thread bumped
Cause it's something we all need
Started long ago,
But those in the know
Know it's a damn fine read.

Getting old Rudolph bumped
Is on my Christmas list.
"twas started by poopah chalupa
Who is sorely missed.

(Get this thread bumped.
Get this thread bumped)

It's time to get this thread bumped.
And in case you didn't hear
Oh, by golly
Have a holly jolly
Thread bump this year.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 11-24-2009 at 09:14 AM.
  #271  
Old 11-24-2009, 09:23 AM
jayjay jayjay is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 36,006
*doffs hat in honor of poopah*

Okay, let's get this red-nose-light party started!
  #272  
Old 11-24-2009, 11:26 AM
BMalion BMalion is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 9,706
I was at first thinking that we should have waited at least until Friday but since it's already been on TV and that was a great song parody,what the heck.

"On Dasher, on Prancer, on Doofus and Schmendrick..."
  #273  
Old 11-24-2009, 12:15 PM
CalMeacham CalMeacham is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,544
"But Gandalf, we thought you were dead!"


"Dead!Didn't I ever tell you the truth about Balrog? Balrogs Bounce!"



(Balrog enters. Everyone falls back in terror)


"No, no, no-- this is one reformed Balrog! Lookee what he can do!"


The Balrog -- who notably lacks all his teeth -- places Vilya atop The Two Trees, which he can do because he's so tall. Everyone "Ahhhhs" in delight. The Balrog grins, sheepishly, and his flame glows a little brighter.
  #274  
Old 11-24-2009, 12:24 PM
FriarTed FriarTed is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: IN USA
Posts: 13,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
"But Gandalf, we thought you were dead!"


"Dead!Didn't I ever tell you the truth about Balrog? Balrogs Bounce!"



(Balrog enters. Everyone falls back in terror)


"No, no, no-- this is one reformed Balrog! Lookee what he can do!"


The Balrog -- who notably lacks all his teeth -- places Vilya atop The Two Trees, which he can do because he's so tall. Everyone "Ahhhhs" in delight. The Balrog grins, sheepishly, and his flame glows a little brighter.
What about his wings?

*d&r*
  #275  
Old 11-24-2009, 12:27 PM
jayjay jayjay is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 36,006
Gollum the Ring-Slaved Hobbit

Gollum the Ring-slaved hobbit,
lost his very shiny ring.
And he just could not find it,
stolen by that Baggins thing!
All of the orcs around him
used to poke and roust him out.
They never let poor Gollum
alone to do much more than pout.

When captured by the Mordor orcs,
Sauron came to say,
"Gollum with your ring-sense keen,
won't you tell me where It's been?"

Then how the Nazgul jeered him,
as they took to "horse" and rode.
"Gollum the Ring-slaved hobbit,
you look just like a hunchbacked tooooooad!"



Okay, it's not as heartwarming as the original. I still like it...

Last edited by jayjay; 11-24-2009 at 12:28 PM.
  #276  
Old 11-24-2009, 12:34 PM
MovieMogul MovieMogul is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 15,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
Gollum the Ring-Slaved Hobbit

Gollum the Ring-slaved hobbit,
lost his very shiny ring.
And he just could not find it,
stolen by that Baggins thing!
All of the orcs around him
used to poke and roust him out.
They never let poor Gollum
alone to do much more than pout.

When captured by the Mordor orcs,
Sauron came to say,
"Gollum with your ring-sense keen,
won't you tell me where It's been?"

Then how the Nazgul jeered him,
as they took to "horse" and rode.
"Gollum the Ring-slaved hobbit,
you look just like a hunchbacked tooooooad!"



Okay, it's not as heartwarming as the original. I still like it...
You forgot the intro:

"You know Gandalf and Pippin, Frodo and Merry
Samwise and Strider and Gimli so hairy.
But did you forget...
the reason why they all first met?"
  #277  
Old 11-24-2009, 12:42 PM
jayjay jayjay is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 36,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchiveGuy View Post
You forgot the intro:

"You know Gandalf and Pippin, Frodo and Merry
Samwise and Strider and Gimli so hairy.
But did you forget...
the reason why they all first met?"
Perfect!
  #278  
Old 11-24-2009, 12:43 PM
MovieMogul MovieMogul is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 15,650
You set a high bar.
  #279  
Old 11-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Wile E Wile E is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 11,853
This thread is awesome. To those of you who may say "I didn't want to read all those early pages" you have to read them, they are the best part. I laughed, I cried, it was better than Cats. I really want to watch Rudolph this year to catch all that I missed as a naive child.
  #280  
Old 11-24-2009, 01:28 PM
Freudian Slit Freudian Slit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: New York
Posts: 22,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMalion View Post
I was at first thinking that we should have waited at least until Friday but since it's already been on TV and that was a great song parody,what the heck.

"On Dasher, on Prancer, on Doofus and Schmendrick..."
It was already on?! I missed it?
  #281  
Old 11-24-2009, 02:12 PM
JThunder JThunder is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 12,320
As God was his witness, the elf thought birds could fly.
  #282  
Old 11-24-2009, 02:18 PM
mobo85 mobo85 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Bloomingdale, NJ
Posts: 9,387
Rudolph and his pals seem to show up in a TV commercial every year. Last year it was Aflac, this year Verizon features the Misfit Toys as they continue their war against AT&T's poor 3G coverage. (I think this ad is amusing, even as an iPhone-using AT&T subscriber.)
  #283  
Old 11-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Wile E Wile E is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 11,853
Heads up!

According to my "What's On" iPhone app, it airs Wednesday December 2nd at 8pm EST, on CBS.

That's a week from today.

So did the elf really murder the owl toy? Is Santa actually a tool? How big are Mrs. Claus's hooters? Is Hermie really a hermie? Tune in next week to find out!
  #284  
Old 11-25-2009, 12:25 PM
Tim R. Mortiss Tim R. Mortiss is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Lincoln Park, Chicago
Posts: 6,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E View Post
Heads up!

According to my "What's On" iPhone app, it airs Wednesday December 2nd at 8pm EST, on CBS.

That's a week from today.
TVGuide.com confirms this. Make a note!
  #285  
Old 11-25-2009, 01:02 PM
BMalion BMalion is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 9,706
And when I was a kid, you young punks, I saw it in black & white and Santa was riding a NoŽlco Electric Razor!

Hrrmmph
  #286  
Old 12-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Annie-Xmas Annie-Xmas is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 44,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
First you ask "Who did Santa shoot," then you comment on the missing reindeer. I think you answered your own question.
Watching the show this year, I realize there is a second shot right after Mrs. Santa leaves the room.

That's one way to get rid of a yenta of a wife.
  #287  
Old 12-04-2009, 10:00 AM
BMalion BMalion is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 9,706
I just picked it up from the library, I'll watch it tonoght!

With my aluminum Xmas tree, the color-wheel on and the Partridge Family Christmas album on the record player for later.
  #288  
Old 12-04-2009, 12:39 PM
kingpengvin kingpengvin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Elextrolux Starsucker4000
Posts: 3,140
Another year watching that poor guy trying to get his ancient jalopy out of the snow in the opening newsreel.

He should really by a newer car.

Oh and once again I must complain about SantaJerk and his toolish behavior.

My pet peeve this year (and every year):
The overdone bored act during the Elf dress rehearsal. He goes out of his way to show he doesn't want to be there like some petulant 3 year old being told they have to eat their green beans. Worse though is the quick dismissal of their efforts and potshot remark as he leaves. He is just galling!! I mean if he didn't care why did he have to go and criticize them like that?

Luckily these are non union elves who like his Mrs.

And luckily He has Mrs S. The glue that holds that hideous Ogre's operation together!

SantaJerk!


Oh and I never really got the Voice change of the head elf in that scene. I mean I guess it's to show his deference to the Fatheaded Jolly old Crabmeister, but it really doesn't work. It almost sounds like they couldn't afford to pay the original voice actor to come back and re-dub a few lines that were muddled because the Jerk playing Santa stayed in character and decided to do voice exercises in the background while they were recording.


Merry Christmas
  #289  
Old 12-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Freudian Slit Freudian Slit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: New York
Posts: 22,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpengvin View Post
Oh and I never really got the Voice change of the head elf in that scene. I mean I guess it's to show his deference to the Fatheaded Jolly old Crabmeister, but it really doesn't work. It almost sounds like they couldn't afford to pay the original voice actor to come back and re-dub a few lines that were muddled because the Jerk playing Santa stayed in character and decided to do voice exercises in the background while they were recording.
Oh, me too. I always had the same assumption, but couldn't they have made it work better? Like, had the guy talk in a gruff but slightly higher voice? So there's SOME resemblance? A lot of people either list this as a mistake or think it's two characters who look the same.

Anyway, if we were listing the Santas in Rankin Bass/general Xmas specials, this one would be the tooliest. I think the Year Without a Santa Santa was nice. A little heavy on guilt (the whole no one really appreciates me/Xmas thing), but overall, I liked him. Way better than this skinny CEO of Christmas in Rudolph.

The only warm person in Rudolph was Burl Ives-snowman.
  #290  
Old 12-04-2009, 01:02 PM
kingpengvin kingpengvin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Elextrolux Starsucker4000
Posts: 3,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian Slit View Post

The only warm person in Rudolph was Burl Ives-snowman.
Yeah but he was the replacement after the first airing of the original cut where Santa narrated.

Essentially Santa made snide comments about how whinny and unusual Rudolph was and how his parents should be ashamed for bringing such a deficient child into the world. He questioned whether he was a pure breed or breed mutant.

After the scene where Yukon goes over the cliff Santa doesn't relate to the kids how "they missed their friends" instead he went on some psychotic rant about Aryian purity and how Yukon's curly beard and hair made Santa suspect him of being Jewish.

Finally, instead of shouting Merry Christmas he upset every child watching by threatening them with no Christmas unless Daddy had norelco products in the house by Dec 13th

Of course Self absorbed quiter Santa of A Year without Santa Claus is a better step up. Not as great at Hippy red headed Santa from Santa Claus is comin to town.
  #291  
Old 12-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Freudian Slit Freudian Slit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: New York
Posts: 22,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpengvin View Post
Yeah but he was the replacement after the first airing of the original cut where Santa narrated.
Did he really narrate? Rudolph Santa is to Xmas as Martha Stewart is to Domesticity. Oh, sure, they get the job done, but there's zero warmth. No love. It's all about profit margins and results.

Quote:
Not as great at Hippy red headed Santa from Santa Claus is comin to town.
Is this the one about the origins of Santa, from when he started out as a young man/teen? Because I vaguely remember him being cool.

I still don't understand WHY Donner was meant to be ashamed of Rudolph, and what they were meant to do about him. Like was putting the stuff on his nose to cover it up not enough? I honestly think the only thing that would make Santa happy was abandoning Rudolph Eskimo style...

Last edited by Freudian Slit; 12-04-2009 at 01:26 PM.
  #292  
Old 12-04-2009, 01:53 PM
jsc1953 jsc1953 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 9,259
Did anyone notice (this year) that the sound was off? Particularly in the "Silver & Gold" song, there was noticeable warping & wobbling. Like CBS just pops a 40-year-old tape in a 40-year-old VCR.
  #293  
Old 12-04-2009, 02:30 PM
NDP NDP is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: PNW USA
Posts: 8,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpengvin View Post
Yeah but he was the replacement after the first airing of the original cut where Santa narrated.

Essentially Santa made snide comments about how whinny and unusual Rudolph was and how his parents should be ashamed for bringing such a deficient child into the world. He questioned whether he was a pure breed or breed mutant.
Well, as I pointed out in a previous post a few years ago, maybe Santa should've been a little more careful when he was guiding his team through all those areas where there had been atmospheric nuclear testing. But I guess it was all about shaving those few precious seconds off delivery time. So what if it results in your progeny getting a red glowing nose or something else like antlers growing out their butt? Those sleeping brats need their Chatty Cathy dolls and Hula Hoops!
__________________
Can also be seen at:

Last FM Library Thing
  #294  
Old 12-04-2009, 06:40 PM
interface2x interface2x is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 6,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Did anyone notice (this year) that the sound was off? Particularly in the "Silver & Gold" song, there was noticeable warping & wobbling. Like CBS just pops a 40-year-old tape in a 40-year-old VCR.
It's been like that for years now.
  #295  
Old 12-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Attack from the 3rd dimension Attack from the 3rd dimension is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Soviet Canuckistan
Posts: 5,732
Surveillance footage:

Bird launch begins at 1:50.

.

Last edited by Attack from the 3rd dimension; 12-04-2009 at 07:12 PM.
  #296  
Old 12-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Hal Briston Hal Briston is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: A nice chunk o' NJ
Posts: 14,183
Before this one gets put to bed for another year, I have to explain the delightful way I've gotten my wife pissed off at me.

The Littlest Briston received Rudolph and Clarice dolls for Christmas last year. She played with them for a bit, then I put them away for the year. She was thrilled when I brought them back out this season, and she kept them with her every time she watched the show.

Every now and then, she's hold up Rudolph's leading lady, and ask "Daddy, what's her name again?"

"Clarice", I'd say. But it was the way I'd say it that has my wife seeing red. Each time, I'd give it just the right inflection, and now TLB has it down pat. If you ask her the name of Rudolph's girlfriend, she'll happily tell you that her name is "Clarice"...in a perfect Hannibal Lecter tone of voice.

It's wonderful, hearing that come out of a four-year-old girl -- really, it is.
  #297  
Old 12-30-2009, 11:06 AM
jsc1953 jsc1953 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 9,259
That is truly funny. I can see a 4 year old with her little plush toys, saying "are the lambs still screaming, Clarice?"
  #298  
Old 12-30-2009, 11:15 AM
jayjay jayjay is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 36,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
That's one way to get rid of a yenta of a wife.
You know, I completely passed this one up until now. It never occurred to me, but Santa actually MUST be Jewish. After all, he works on Christmas! Then again, what happens when Christmas falls on Shabbat?
  #299  
Old 12-30-2009, 12:40 PM
BMalion BMalion is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 9,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
You know, I completely passed this one up until now. It never occurred to me, but Santa actually MUST be Jewish. After all, he works on Christmas! Then again, what happens when Christmas falls on Shabbat?


Then they call Hanukkah Harry!
  #300  
Old 12-30-2009, 01:55 PM
muldoonthief muldoonthief is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 9,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Briston View Post
Before this one gets put to bed for another year, I have to explain the delightful way I've gotten my wife pissed off at me.

The Littlest Briston received Rudolph and Clarice dolls for Christmas last year. She played with them for a bit, then I put them away for the year. She was thrilled when I brought them back out this season, and she kept them with her every time she watched the show.

Every now and then, she's hold up Rudolph's leading lady, and ask "Daddy, what's her name again?"

"Clarice", I'd say. But it was the way I'd say it that has my wife seeing red. Each time, I'd give it just the right inflection, and now TLB has it down pat. If you ask her the name of Rudolph's girlfriend, she'll happily tell you that her name is "Clarice"...in a perfect Hannibal Lecter tone of voice.

It's wonderful, hearing that come out of a four-year-old girl -- really, it is.
Damn, I do the same thing at bedtime - "Well goodnight Clarice." My wife hasn't heard it yet, and the girls haven't imitated me though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
That is truly funny. I can see a 4 year old with her little plush toys, saying "are the lambs still screaming, Clarice?"
Best Hal Briston dig of the year.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017