The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 10-23-2008, 07:46 AM
BANNED

Other species and anal sex

Do other species engage in intraspecies anal sex?
Advertisements  
Old 10-23-2008, 07:58 AM

Wow.

I'm gonna get no, as the vast majority of animals that have sex don't actually do so for physical gratification.

Plus, it would tend to be counter-evolutionary. We, as thinking creatures, are a bit different in this regard, of course.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:04 AM

I've heard of farm bulls doing it, both for fun and as a means of showing dominance.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:06 AM

What are you talking about? I think most species engage in sex for physical gratification. They don't know the connection between sex and babies, so why else would they do it?

Oh, and as far as inter-species anal sex, I think you should ask Scylla. I remember he has a pertty good story about goats and a chicken.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:59 AM

Male dolphins are always trying to do it to reluctant female dolphins.
That's why you always here the feamles saying "En-eh! En-eh!"
Old 10-23-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight View Post
What are you talking about? I think most species engage in sex for physical gratification. They don't know the connection between sex and babies, so why else would they do it?
Hormonal cues and whatnot.

If they did it for gratification, why would cats only mate when in heat, instead of humping all the time?

IANAV, but I do seem to recall reading that some males appear to get a "pleasure" sensation out of the actual orgasm, but that most non-human females get nothing out of the entire act.

I'll spend the afternoon trying to dig up some cites, if nobody else comes along before then.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Harold Christ View Post
As animals outside of the mammal category only have one opening in the hind regions that handles urine, feces, and sexual activities called a "cloaca" one could probably argue that either none of them have anal sex, not having an anus as we define the term in mammals, or that all of them have nothing but anal sex since everything goes through the same opening.

(I think, maybe, monotremes also have a cloaca but I can't remember for sure, so the above might even apply to some mammals, too)
Old 10-23-2008, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

If they did it for gratification, why would cats only mate when in heat, instead of humping all the time?
Can't speak for cats, but I've had leg-humping dogs and my shin sure as heck doesn't give off bitch-in-heat hormones. Presumably, the dog enjoys this.

I've also had several birds that engaged in masturbatory activities with the living room couch and it seemed unrelated to their breeding cycles. Again, they seemed to be enjoying the rubbing.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:19 AM

Dolphins fuck one anothers' blowholes. So there's at least one animal that isn't orificially discriminatory.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:31 AM

Bonobos share humans sexual socializing, and practice oral sex, so it seems reasonable that they might try anal sex.

This site claims they do:

http://news.aol.com/newsbloggers/200...ites-the-dust/

Quote:
The July 30 (2007) issue of the New Yorker has a fascinating article on the work of the German anthropologist Gottfried Hohmann, who is considered the world's leading authority on bonobos in the wild. The key term here is "in the wild." Most of the research on bonobos to date has been done by the Dutch anthropologist Frans de Waal. Studying bonobos in cages, de Waal discovered that bonobos seem to have sex a lot: oral sex, anal sex, all kinds of sex. In de Waal's famous portrait, the bonobo emerges as a creature much more interested in sex than in work or power or anything else. In other words, de Waal's bonobos bore a startling similarity to the Dutch.
Bolding and (2007) mine
Old 10-23-2008, 10:34 AM

Here's another:

http://askville.amazon.com/heard-spe...uestId=7511331

Quote:
You get both bisexual and purely homosexual behavior in some species. One study cites two male monkeys who engaged in anal sex with each other and who could not be induced to mate with a female. This is almost a perfect model of purely male homosexuality in the human species. (You have to take into account that this is in captivity, not in the wild, and which can lead to all sorts of behaviors that they wouldn’t necessarily do otherwise.)

The cited article is "Ambisexual behavior with male-male anal penetration in male rhesus monkeys " in Archives of Sexual Behavior, vol. 5, issue 1, pp. 9-14, January 1976.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/n424t1985133j770/

So there's another species.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:35 AM

There is a book about animal homosexual behavior, but all I know about it is from watching Ricky Gervais make fun of the book's sketches in his comedy show.

EDIT: since we are listing species, Gervais showed sketches from the book which included birds, macaques, hedgehogs and dolphins.

Last edited by Fubaya; 10-23-2008 at 10:38 AM..
Old 10-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Interconnected Series of Tubes Interconnected Series of Tubes is offline

Anal sex sounds like it would carry a high risk of disease transmission and cause evolutionarily useless (no babies) damage to delicate, ah, parts.

From a standpoint of natural selection alone, it seems highly unlikely.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:07 AM

Yeah.

What is the evolutionary advantage of anal sex? It seems to me the desire for it should be selected against in humans.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:15 AM
BANNED

I worked with a guy who was proud of his love of anal sex. He was in a club ,even. He got real pissed when I said how handy it was, dogs,cats,sheep,men ,women ,livestock all the same to him.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzomax View Post
I worked with a guy who was proud of his love of anal sex. He was in a club ,even. He got real pissed when I said how handy it was, dogs,cats,sheep,men ,women ,livestock all the same to him.
Now that's funny.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rube E. Tewesday View Post
I've heard of farm bulls doing it, both for fun and as a means of showing dominance.
I was going to say the same thing. As a teenager my parents dragged me to see a grandstand show at the Stampede. I hated the show and spent the time watching one really randy bull mount and pound away at the other bulls in the pen.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And how do you think hormonal cues work? Hormones cause animals (including humans) to have sex by making sex feel good.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Not with ME they don't, Bub. It's straight sex or nothing, regardless of species.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight View Post

Oh, and as far as inter-species anal sex, I think you should ask Scylla. I remember he has a pertty good story about goats and a chicken.
Chickens?! Eeewwwww!
Old 10-23-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludy View Post
I was going to say the same thing. As a teenager my parents dragged me to see a grandstand show at the Stampede. I hated the show and spent the time watching one really randy bull mount and pound away at the other bulls in the pen.
yes but are such examples actually penetrative anal sex, or more akin to dry humping?
Old 10-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC View Post
Chickens?! Eeewwwww!
Especially chickens!

Oh, wait. Your comment was not directed toward me. Oops!
Old 10-23-2008, 04:30 PM

You be the judge:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...z22/moose3.jpg
Old 10-23-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. jp View Post
Yeah.

What is the evolutionary advantage of anal sex? It seems to me the desire for it should be selected against in humans.
Sort of like how men don't have nipples anymore.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Relief View Post
Exactly, not everything in life has to be evolutionarily adaptive. Look at it this way: it is evolutionarily adaptive to enjoy sex; sex tends to involve (in mammals at least) sticking a phallus in some sort of aperture; just because that aperture doesn't happen to be child-producing doesn't mean it won't feel good (which is what why animals have sex in the first place). Granted, yes, if every animal stuck its phallus in a non baby-producing aperture and never in the baby producing ones (or only very infrequently in the BPA) then I'd imagine that evolution would act on it.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:57 PM

Also, sex isn't automatically all just about reproduction at all. It can have other purposes, such as social ones. If a bull has anal sex with another male as a dominance ritual, the fact that it's not reproductive is besides the point.

Humans have anal and other non-reproductive sex all the time because most sex for us isn't about reproduction; it's for pleasure and social interaction. It's about social bonding or just giving mutual pleasure.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc View Post
Exactly, not everything in life has to be evolutionarily adaptive. Look at it this way: it is evolutionarily adaptive to enjoy sex; sex tends to involve (in mammals at least) sticking a phallus in some sort of aperture; just because that aperture doesn't happen to be child-producing doesn't mean it won't feel good (which is what why animals have sex in the first place). Granted, yes, if every animal stuck its phallus in a non baby-producing aperture and never in the baby producing ones (or only very infrequently in the BPA) then I'd imagine that evolution would act on it.
Additionally, if the high libido that led to anal penetration was associated with an increase in all matings, including anatomically viable ones, then evolutionary pressures would actually select for the anal sex havers. Seemingly pointless things can be encouraged through natural selection simply because they're associated with beneficial traits.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:15 PM

Of course they don't have anal sex. Where would they get the Astroglide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaerieD View Post
Additionally, if the high libido that led to anal penetration was associated with an increase in all matings, including anatomically viable ones, then evolutionary pressures would actually select for the anal sex havers. Seemingly pointless things can be encouraged through natural selection simply because they're associated with beneficial traits.
An excellent point!
Old 10-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Here is Scylla's experience with a goat and some chickens.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...ad.php?t=33909
Old 10-24-2008, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

A little farm girl and a little farm boy were sitting on a fence looking out at the animals in the pasture. A cow ambled by and a moment later, a randy bull trotted over and mounted the cow. "Jeez," said the boy, looking amorously at the girl,"I'd sure like to be doing that." "Go ahead," she said with a smile, "It's your cow."
Old 10-24-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
Here is Scylla's experience with a goat and some chickens.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...ad.php?t=33909

I'm traumatized.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:28 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
A little farm girl and a little farm boy were sitting on a fence looking out at the animals in the pasture. A cow ambled by and a moment later, a randy bull trotted over and mounted the cow. "Jeez," said the boy, looking amorously at the girl,"I'd sure like to be doing that." "Go ahead," she said with a smile, "It's your cow."
I heard it with the punch line: "Don't be silly. That bull would kill you."
Old 10-24-2008, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

A wonderful alternative!
Old 10-24-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Relief View Post
Except having nipples cannot cause infection of the vagina.

As I see it there is a strong disadvantage for the desire, and no advantages.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Chickens?! Eeewwwww!
And this is why the chicken didn't just cross the road, he fucking ran across it
Old 10-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. jp View Post
As I see it there is a strong disadvantage for the desire, and no advantages.
Then you've been doing it wrong.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowder View Post
And this is why the chicken didn't just cross the road, he fucking ran across it
Clearly, you don't know the amount of towing power that Gallus gallus domesticus is capable of producing. Otherwise, the pervert wouldn't have crossed the road.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
Clearly, you don't know the amount of towing power that Gallus gallus domesticus is capable of producing. Otherwise, the pervert wouldn't have crossed the road.
So how was the view from across the road then?
Old 10-24-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I have personally witnessed full anal penetration between male goats on a farm. It was rape on the part of the agressor.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:41 PM

When I was a kid, I had some pet mice. They were segregated by sex, to avoid having many more mice. Some of the male mice would attempt to mount other male mice. The recipients of this behavior did not seem to be too happy about it, and would try to escape.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurujulp View Post
I have personally witnessed full anal penetration between male goats on a farm. It was rape on the part of the agressor.
Did you stop the rape?

And, just out of curiousity, did the rapee show any signs of emotional trauma? Is that just a human thing.