The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 07-06-1999, 02:07 PM

I, too, use "slut" to descibe men, but as for uniquely male descriptions of promiscuity, all I can think of right now is "player". Alternate spelling: "playa".

As for why promiscuous women are considered sluts, my response may be more appropriate Great Debates. I don't think promiscuity is necessarily negative. I think in some cases (certainly not all) it suggests confidence and a level of comfort and control of a someone's own sexuality. Some people see women having this much control over anything as "bad", hence the derogatory term.

There are other reasons too, but outside of GD, I'd just be wasting bandwidth on it.

Alphagene
Advertisements  
Old 07-06-1999, 02:08 PM

Quote:
What are male "sluts" called?
Happy!
Old 07-06-1999, 02:35 PM

The most notable term is Lecher, or Lech. Player is a common new term, but is frquently used in a positive, or neutral context.
Scammer, was common in my college, but not widespread, also not necessarily negative.
Masogonist applies, but has a more evil and violent connotation.

As for why. I'm sure the debate could go on forever, but i'd cite a few major contributions. 1) Women are naturally prone to nesting (settling and starting a family). Going against this speaks of a woman who goes against the idea of family (a bad thing is most's eyes). 2) Historically women are second to men, and males have been being adulterous and lecherous for eons, without fear of reprisals (now there are lawyers, we need time to change). 3) Women bear a greater risk from slutty activity, especially preganacy. This reckless behavior is ugly. (Yes, it takes two to tango, but the women are stuck holding the bill so to speak (before patrimony)) 4) Finally and most importantly: Women can get it anytime they want, men really need to try hard. This puts more responsibility on the women to be careful of their actions. Men=take what you can get=lucky. Women=take what you need=greedy.

------------------
The facts expressed here belong to everybody, the opinions to me. The distinction is
yours to draw...

Omniscient; BAG
Old 07-06-1999, 02:39 PM

There are terms for a man who has a large number of partners, but they are not considered as insulting (probably because the behavior was not considered as inappropriate; in a society where racism was truly extinct, "nigger" would not raise an eyebrow): libertine, rake, or hedonist

Many such terms are literary or historical allusions: Lothario, Don Juan, and Casanova. These can be interpreted as homage to outstanding performers of the past as easily as insults.

Probably the only terms in this vein that are truly insulting are those that suggest the titleholder might have desired considerably more partners than he actually succeeded in persuading: lecher, goat, dirty old man.
Old 07-06-1999, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I can think of right now is "player". Alternate spelling: "playa".
"Player," however, does not always have a negative connotation for men as "slut" does for women.

------------------
"[He] beat his fist down upon the table and hurt his hand and became so
further enraged... that he beat his fist down upon the table even harder and
hurt his hand some more." -- Joseph Heller's Catch-22
Old 07-06-1999, 03:28 PM

[QUOTE]What are male "sluts" called?[QUOTE]
Men...

------------------
Brian O'Neill

**Active link to commercial website deleted**

ICQ 35294890
AIM Scrabble1
Yahoo Messenger Brian_ONeill

[Note: This message has been edited by Nickrz]
Old 07-06-1999, 03:35 PM

Engels, Hume and a couple others have suggested that the more against female promiscuity developed when people (men) started having possessions. I'm going to put this in the most simplistic terms possible - their theories are a lot better developed than this - but basically the idea is, men wanted to know the kid was really theirs (for inheritance reasons) and developed the idea of female promiscuity being really bad in order to shame women into not sleeping around.

------------------
Never regret what seemed like a good idea at the time.
Old 07-06-1999, 04:04 PM

Hey, someone who cited "The Origins of Family, Private Property, and the State"! My hat's off to you, ruadh.

------------------
Cave Diem! Carpe Canem!
Old 07-06-1999, 04:55 PM

How about "whoremonger", if you are the old fashioned type?
Old 07-06-1999, 07:38 PM

How about 'lapdog'?
Old 07-06-1999, 08:18 PM

Are these straight or gay sluts quadell ?
Old 07-07-1999, 01:17 AM

I see no problem with calling a man a slut or a whore. More common in these parts is dog or "dawg." Not necessarily negative in connotation, though.
Old 07-07-1999, 01:49 AM

We can all think of a dozen insulting terms for a sexually promiscuous woman. (The "skank" debate brought that to light.) Are there any insulting terms for a man who has a large number of partners? (I don't hesitate to call men sluts, but it hasn't caught on among the general population.)

On a related note, why does our society see promiscuity to be more of a vice among women? (Due to the nature of het sex, a woman has a greater risk of catching an STD from a promiscuous man than vice versa.)

Just wondering,
Your Quadell
Old 07-07-1999, 09:04 AM

My friends often refer to a promiscuous man as a slut or whore, but then again my friends and I are all gay, so that might have something to do with it (...girlfriend!)
Old 07-07-1999, 09:21 AM

"he-whores"?
Old 07-07-1999, 04:58 PM

"Womanizer"; "sexual athlete"; "di#@kslinger" are all slang terms I've encountered.

Of coures, if you're a guy the more preferred term is "stud".
Old 07-07-1999, 05:51 PM

Well, there was that whole Victorian belief that men are evil, filthy, swindling, animals and women are chaste, god-fearing, and pure. When this notion was popular (I think in the 1800s and dwindling into the early 1900s), it was believed that it was the woman's supreme job to keep the man in line. She was the defender and protector of all that was good and holy. Any woman who broke this image and slept around was severely berated (as in The Scarlet Letter). When a man was promiscuous, especially when married, it was frowned upon but it was also seen as a failure on his wife's part because she didn't keep him in line.

I'm drawing on some theories put forth in a Sociology text that I read several years ago so I don't remember much more of the particulars.

The theory about men needing to know whether a child was theirs or not, I believe, fits nicely as a explanation of how the Victorian beliefs developed.

I call promiscuous males "sluts"
Old 07-07-1999, 06:02 PM

Gigolos
Old 07-07-1999, 08:07 PM

Well, I would have said "libertine", but "he-whore" just rolls off the tongue. Thanks JKB. If Shakespeare were alive today, that's how he'd say it.
Old 07-07-1999, 08:22 PM

Weeny Wrangler?
Old 07-07-1999, 08:56 PM

Rock Stars

------------------
Contestant #3
Old 07-07-1999, 09:54 PM

well, my friends and I have always called them "man-whores" or "boy-sluts" or just plain old "slut" works for me. I don't see why it shouldn't apply to both sexes.

------------------
tipi
Old 07-08-1999, 01:06 AM

or you can quote Tennesee Williams:
"gaudy seed-bearer"

------------------
I don't know who first said "everyone's a critic," but I think it's a really stupid saying.
Old 07-08-1999, 03:06 AM

I wonder what percentage of men here could even be a slut if they wanted to? Being happily married now I do not care to research this, but when I was in high school getting laid was tantamount to the search for the holy grail. In college it was 'getting lucky' (or was it winning the lottery?). Actually, I don't use the word and am all for people having as much safe sex as possible.

Can you be a slut in your heart?
Can any woman choose to be a slut (Can she get laid anytime she wants)?
How has the double standard effected sexuality in America?
Do failed wanna-be male sluts become serial killers?

Is there truth to these two scenarios:

1) A young man wants to get laid. He dresses up and hits the street intent on completing the mission. Strategies deeply embedded in his mind with back up plans. Zeros in on target and begins the manipulation, is rejected, regroups and seeks out new target. Repeat. Drugs and tequila working wonders--slips into alter ego, tells lies, scores. In the morning tells her he will call her.

2) A young woman has an itch. Thinks it is time to bag a male of superior genetic quality. Dresses up, hits the street intent on completing the mission. Strategies deeply embedded in her mind with back up plans. Zeros in on target and begins the manipulation, is rejected (he's married or gay), regroups and seeks out new target. Narrows down field to 3 targets (rejects guy that smells like tequila) tells contestant #2 that he'll do. In the morning tells him she will call him before he can get the words out.
Old 07-11-1999, 09:27 AM

Back to the name, how about: Public utility pole?
Old 07-11-1999, 08:18 PM

I'm with Tipiwoo here, a slut is a slut is a slut. Degrading and selfish behavior is not the purvey ( god, I love that word ) of one gender over the other.
Philosophical debates over promiscuity, fertility, and reproduction are off-topic ( as they say in the field of education). The query was simple. I think that a slut is a slut. Act with a complete lack of self-respect, and you wind up with a sexual partner who doesn't respect you, instead of a lover who cherishes you.
There. That's MY two cents sitting there.

Typer
Old 07-12-1999, 11:42 AM

No c&p

He'd be called a player, of course!

Why couldn't you just call him a "male slut?"

------------------
~Ruby Sunbeam~
Hearts will never be practical until they are made unbreakable.
Old 07-12-1999, 05:25 PM

I love how Typer has to mention that by being a slut (male or female) means one has no self-respect. I'd certainly love to take issue with that! There are plenty of self-loving promiscuous people in the world - ones who don't want to be tied down (pardon) but who like to relieve the tension and sample the merchandise.
Old 07-19-1999, 06:32 PM

Quote:
. Degrading and selfish behavior is not the purvey ( god, I love that word ) of one gender over the other.
That's too bad, because you're using it wrong. To purvey means to supply, as goods. It is not a noun. The word you are looking for is "purview".
Old 07-19-1999, 06:58 PM

I always liked "Mimbo" for male-bimbo.

But the reality is "male slut"
Old 08-10-1999, 03:05 AM
BANNED

Male "Slut" is a stud. Because male is opposite of female, slut would be bad for female but good for male as two negatives equal a positive. That is why men who have many partners are envied and women are disgraced.
Old 08-10-1999, 11:57 AM

I've heard "himbo". I think it was used in a movie.
Old 08-11-1999, 01:38 AM

mimbo, himbo, both good...but the real name for a male slut is .....husband!

don't flame me ( ducking and covering head)
I was just kidding!
Old 08-23-1999, 02:21 PM

It seems to me that the reason for female promiscuity being looked down upon is very simple. A man has every reason to be promiscuos. He can have as many children as he women that he impregnates. A woman can only have one child every 9 months no matter how many men she sleeps with. Therefore, a woman who sleeps with many partners is only hurting herself by exposing herself to diseases without any added benefit.

These feelings are probably deeply ingrained in our genes and no amount of feminist philosophy is going to change them much.
Old 08-24-1999, 12:38 PM

{{{mimbo, himbo, both good...but the real name for a male slut is .....husband!
don't flame me ( ducking and covering head)
}}}---Kell

:::Lighting the Barbeque:::

------------------

--Kalél
(The Original EnigmaOne)
Common ˘ for all ages.