Embarrassing request: Books with good romances

Well, this is my first thread here at the Dope, (waves hello) and I would have liked to begin with something a bit more intellectual, even epic. Sadly it’s not in my nature to be either intellectual or epic.

I’m currently working on my thesis, which is an intellectually enlightening and emotionally rewarding process, by which I mean tedious and soul-sucking. So I’m in need of mental candy. (I have consumed enough of the alimentary sort to have outgrown all my jeans in the past year.) Furthermore, my thesis is on 17th-century French nuns, which, while admittedly very interesting if you’re me, is not the most exhilarating topic imaginable. Certainly not very sexy. (In contrast to the history of Renaissance Italian nuns… :D)

So I turn to you to suggest books that have really appealing romances. Not romance novels, necessarily; I’ve never been able to read anything from the romance section of the bookstore. Just novels that have a somewhat happy ending and a romance, the more incidental the better, with nice characters. Basically, there’s only so many times a girl can reread Jane Austen.

I generally read contemporary fiction, and I’ve never really gotten into sci-fi or fantasy, despite the repeated attempts of my best friend. I love historical fiction, but I very rarely find it done well. (I’m not at all concerned with changing biographical details, but I’m not at all interested in court politics and rarely think that authors capture the “feeling” of the era well - like I would know! :p)* I don’t think I’m a terribly literary reader, but for each friend I horrify with my unintellectual tastes, I piss another off with my elitism. So please just give me your recommendations, and I will hopefully find new escapist fantasies to get me through the strain of reading a few dozen more nuns’ biographies.

*Off topic, but I’d like to plug Geraldine Brooks’ Year of Wonders as one of the best historical novels I’ve read in a long time. The ending’s a bit bizarre, but she really captures 17th-century England, as far as I can tell. My supervisor loves it too. And Brooks consulted with Philip Benedict, who is an awesome historian. I also recently read Sandra Gulland’s Mistress of the Sun, and while I didn’t like it much, she should get bonus points for consulting with Elizabeth Rapley, one of my favourite historians. I’m such a nerd.

Well, off the top of my head I don’t have a current escapist romance for you - but I can’t resist the chance the pimp out the “Kristin Lavransdatter” novels (by Sigrid undsett) one more time. A truly epic romance and truly great historical fiction. Set in medieval Norway, there are nuns involved.

Have you read Middlemarch by George Eliot? The romance between Dorothea and Will Ladislaw is at the heart of the novel. I read it years ago and it remains one of the most deeply satisfying and enjoyable reading experiences of my life.

I have the first volume at home - bought it in a secondhard store years ago - but it’s always languished in the “to read someday” pile. I’ll have to dig it out when I go home at Christmas. Thanks!

And aldiboronti, I’ve always heard about Middlemarch, but with a review like that I might go find it at the secondhand bookstore tomorrow.

A few years ago I was working on something that required a lot of my brainpower (not that I have that much) and during this period Jennifer Crusie saved my sanity. If you’re into analyzing the books can seem silly, but I found them to be good escapist stuff. Particularly Welcome to Temptation but Anyone But You was also pretty good.

Water for Elephants is a good one, too. By Sara Gruen.

If you want some fairly fluffy, yet somewhat intelligent escapism, try some Danielle Steel.

Judy Blume’s adult novels and Jennifer Weiner’s novels are pretty entertaining.

For a quick, meaningful and touching read, check out “The Secret Lives of Bees.”

For some serious Chick-Lit romance-type things, check out anything by Kathleen Woodiwiss or Victoria Holt.

I second Hilarity but couldn’t come up with Jennifer Cruise and I also highly recommend “Water for Elephants.”

Sounds excellent. :slight_smile: I just went through a phase where I wasn’t getting much thesis stuff done, and I read a bunch of decent novels. Then I’ll go through a stage where anything more intellectually engaging than watching 2 minute youtube clips will be draining. I’m approaching that stage right now.

Persuasion by Jane Austen is really quite romantic. There’s a scene where Frederick has written Anne a letter and I get quite misty every time I read it.

There’s not a whole lot of heavy breathing or anything, but loads of romance.

Have you read any Gillian Bradshaw? She’s a historical writer who concentrates on the Roman Empire era. The most significant themes of her novels are generally about how her characters deal with imbalance of power and getting access to justice in a corrupt political system, but there’s always a strong romance thread in each novel. I particularly recommend The Colour of Power and Cleopatra’s Heir

Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn. Mystery/romance set in late 19th century England. Bought it for my Kindle on a whim, liked it a lot; there’s a sequel, which I took out of the library and should finish today. Likable characters, nice romance, good mystery. I don’t read much genre fiction (mystery or romance) any more, and am enjoying these quite a bit.

Have you read Georgette Heyer? Perhaps she falls under the category of historical novels that aren’t quite believable (although I think most disagree) but she writes some of the the best joyous and witty and lovely “romances” out there. (She often leaves out the actual romance, but I love the banter!)

There’s a good chance you’ve already heard of her, but if not and you want to try some of her stuff out, I’d be glad to ramble on some more about my recommendations. She has written some great stuff, and also a lot of crap (in my opinion.) So you have to sift out the good stuff.

Also one of my favorite books ever (especially if you are in academia–some of the scenes just make me get so misty-eyed with pure longing…), Dorothy Sayers “Gaudy Night.” It will help if you have read her other Peter Whimsy mysteries but not necessary at all. It is a mystery but that is not the important thing.

I know you said you never got into SF/fantasy but this is just a little time travel–I strongly recommend “To Say Nothing of the Dog” by Connie Willis. Some of her novels are deeply upsetting but TSNotD is pure joyous fluff, with a very affecting romance. And not romance, but you should also probably read the book it is a kind of homage too–“Three Men on a Boat (To say nothing of the Dog).”

They all have happy endings. :slight_smile: Hope you enjoy!

The Story of my Life, by cornflakes

(Oh, c’mon. Somebody had to say it! :slight_smile: )

From the OP:

Gone with the Wind, by Margaret Mitchell.

Darn, you beat me to it! However, I’d like to suggest another Connie Willis novel: Doomsday Book.

Like To Say Nothing of The Dog, the novel features time traveling historians based at Oxford–but not the same characters. It’s definitely not “light” but you liked Year of Wonders; I checked Amazon & added it to my Wish List. Doomsday Book’s historians are studying 14th century England; there was another plague in those days. Again–no fluff at all. But there are interesting characters & an ultimately uplifting ending. And you might find these near future historians quite fascinating.

I absolutely second Heyer and if you want contemporary romance with humor, I suggest Jennifer Crusie.
And there’s always Helen Fielding–Bridget Jones etc.

Here’s an oldy but a goody, if you love historical fiction: Katherine by Anya Seton.

There’s tons of other fictional romances I love, but they either don’t have particularly happy endings, are never consummated, or are subplots in much larger stories. Argh.

I don’t read a lot of romance, but I adore Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series. It’s historical fiction/time travel/romance, about a WWII nurse who travels back in time to 18th century Scotland.

Dorothy Sayers wrote mysteries, not romances, but I love the relationship between Lord Peter and Harriet Vane.

I’ll third the recommendation for Georgette Heyer, especially if you want standalone books rather than a series.

Want some candy? Okay, I’m not proud of this, but read the first several Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich. (There will be a point at which you SHOULD stop reading them, because they get shitty. But you won’t. You’ll keep reading them. It’s okay. I understand.) The first three or four are actually quite good - they’re mysteries, I guess, but they’re also funny and there’s a strong romantic-triangle element as the books go on. Stephanie Plum is a New Jersey bounty hunter who, uh, catches a lot of cars on fire and eats dinner with her parents a lot. I’m serious, here - this is precisely what you need while thesis writing.

The Time Traveller’s Wife features a lovely romance. It features time travel, but it is definitely more of a romance than sci fi (I wouldn’t consider it sci fi at all).

I adored Year of Wonders, but I read it on a plane. I’m sure everyone around me wondered what was wrong with me as I sobbed and sobbed :wink: Never read sad books with an audience!

If you like well-researched historical books, I would recommend Pillars of the Earth.