A Couple Thanksgiving Tips.

I have been a professional cook for about 20 years. I own a restaurant and I have hosted Thanksgiving on a number of occasions. I rarely post about food and cooking on the boards but I decided that this year I would share a few tips on Thanksgiving day entertaining.

Criticism is welcome as well as other tips.
!. When your guests ask about what to bring do not forget about appetizers. This is very important. For one you can still control The Dinner. Second you avoid guests asking to heat things up in your already over packed oven. And the apps arrive as the people arrive. Perfect really. The social eating and filled app table create a festive atmosphere. and keep the pressure off the kitchen if in fact the turkey or whatever is taking a bit longer than expected.

1. Drinks are always an issue. Not that there are not enough but with 5 kinds of beer and wine and sodas egg nog all packed in your already packed fridge your workspace (kitchen) will have way to much traffic People all jammed in trying to get things and asking questions. and looking for cups and trash and all sorts of stuff. Have a drink table set up and some coolers. This will help immensely. Have a guest or two bring a cooler or a mini fridge or something. with ice and a small trash can nearby. This will keep the kitchen traffic way down. Another thing guests can help with.

2. Let the guests help. 80% of the female guests will offer to help in some way or another. Have ready a few simple jobs. The want to help in order to do something and get socializing. Make it small and easy. Fill the ice cooler, put out some napkins. whatever. Just simple and easy and something you already had planned out for a guest to help with. You really don’t want a bunch of people all rummaging about your kitchen.

3. Be ready for spills. They will happen. Have a wet washcloth and some paper towels handy. Keep it by the drink table/area . That is were they will happen. Something for the guest to do.

4. Make several lists.
    A guest list. On that you can put specific jobs for them. And items they can bring.
    A menu. Look at it often you will not forget anything that way. It is so sad to remember after Thanksgiving dinner when it is all over and the cranberry sauce or whatever is still in the fridge.
    A list of ingredients.
    And any other thing you need to keep track of.
    Put them on the fridge and consult them often.

5. Keep your kitchen clean. Stop every 30 min or so while preparing and do the dishes and sweep the floor. I do not care how far behind you are or what DO THIS.

6. Do not attempt to many new dishes. I suggest only one really if you can. Otherwise stick with what you know. It is super fin making new dishes and looking up recipes. but do not get carried away. Just add one or two.

7. Do not get over burdened with everything coming out at the same time. This is almost impossible with out a full kitchen staff and several large ovens. Just wrap things with foil when it is ready and put it on the serving table . When the last item is ready uncover everything. It will be fine.

8. Do not over burden yourself with the turkey. Get a thermometer and take the birds temp. Of all the 1000’s or recipes you will find and all the hubbub even a seasoned Thanksgiving entertainer can get quite overwhelmed. THE BIRDS TEMP TRUMPS ALL RECIPES. A plane unseasonal bird chucked into a 375 degree oven till the thigh reads 150 then will make a better bird than any newfangled, brined, fried, stuffed, whatever that got over or under cooked. Of course you can improve on this a bit with some seasoning and your own style but just remember about temp.

9. Above all relax. This is a fun holiday. Make it a non stress as possible. Let peopel help but try and say organized and know what you infact need help with. Keep clean and remember It is just family and friends. They love you and all will be grand.

Bonus.Tip, Make all your desserts the day ahead. And whatever else you can as well.
Just about everything will be OK made the day ahead. People are gonna overeat. Subtle nuances in the foods flavor and temp will go largely unrecognized. And the trade off is relaxation less stress and a more festive atmosphere.

Pro tip: Do not stay up late the night before. I do not care how far behind you are. Get some rest. go to sleep by 10 pm.

Have Fun.

Great advice. Thank you.

I’ll add this: if you’re missing an ingredient, don’t panic. Sometimes last minute substitutions create great new dishes. (I’m not a professional - I just like to cook)

Lots of good stuff.

I like the part about having tasks for the guests planned beforehand. People always want to help, and it’s hard to stop in the middle of all the prep to think something up. I’ve stopped setting the table when we have guests so that someone can do that, but it would certainly help to think of a few more things for a prep-intensive meal like T-day.

Regarding #8…I have found I am able to get everything done at the same time. It’s all in the timing. It sure beats one holiday at my MIL…the mashed potatoes and other veggies, were done two hours before the turkey, and we were whipping things in and out of the microwave while the turkey was resting and the gravy was being made.

Ex-pastry chef & caterer just chiming in to say that you’re right on the money with these tips. I’ll just say that I often take care of #6 with #3. “Can I help?” “Yeah, wash some dishes.”

Doing as much as possible in the days before and reheating is one of the best things you can do–I really start on the weekend (I’ve been baking my sourdough & corn breads for stuffing), and every evening over the next few days, I’ll make something that I know will be fine and will hold until Thursday night. And the work I do throughout the week makes it possible that I have a few times through the day to take a break and put my feet up–even though I’m feeding 30 people.

My tip–bake two turkeys.

Bake one the night before. Carve it and put the slices in turkey broth. Use the drippings to make your gravy.

On Thanksgiving, bake another turkey–a small one. This turkey can be brought to the table and a few slices carved. Then you serve the other turkey. I started doing this because my husband really really HATED carving the turkey in front of other people. It has worked great for us. I particularly like having the gravy done early–it gets tastier overnight.

Good tips- I think I have used them all in the past! :smiley: Cleaning the dishes and the kitchen is a must for me- I cannot work in a messy kitchen (and besides, I need that dish again! And that pan!).

I don’t put on Thanksgiving anymore, but I used to be good at it. Now I go to my mom’s or my MIL’s and keep the hell out of the way until it’s time for me to make the gravy. :cool:

Very important: make absolutely sure to remove the surprise package of yukola blobs before stuffing the turkey. Awareness of the surprise package of yukola blobs is not universal, but it should be. This conversation will be prevented:

“I stuffed the turkey, let’s put it in the oven.”
“Did you remove the surprise package of yukola blobs?”
blinks “What surprise package of yukola blobs?”
smacks forhead

Very important: make absolutely sure to remove the surprise package of yukola blobs before stuffing the turkey. Awareness of the surprise package of yukola blobs is not universal, but it should be. This conversation will be prevented:

“I stuffed the turkey, let’s put it in the oven.”
“Did you remove the surprise package of yukola blobs?”
blinks “What surprise package of yukola blobs?”
smacks forehead

Jesus, I half-way cooked a giblets bag the first time I did the turkey on my own! Thank God someone asked me about it (with a smirk).

Great tips! I started the food yesterday. Pecan pies and cranberry sauce is made and already at the boyfriend’s house. I made 2 pies cause I know he’s gonna eat one before Thursday. :wink: I made sausage balls tonight. I’ll make the deviled eggs Tuesday night while roasting some turkey legs and wings for drippings. On Thursday morning, I’ll assemble the green bean casserole and dressing, then take it over to my boyfriends. All I’ll have to do there is bake the green beans and dressing, make the mashed potatoes, and toss the rolls in the oven. Boyfriend is doing the turkey on the rotisserie so I have the oven all to myself.

I have made multiple lists, and thankfully I don’t have a bunch of people to cook for…just my boyfriend, his parents, and me.

1. Make a written schedule! Look at all your recipes and calculate the prep time for each one, in addition to the cooking time. Then set a time to do each thing, including when each dish should go in the oven. 10:00 Do this thing, 10:30 Chop these ingredients, 11:00 Preheat oven, 11:15 Do turkey prep per your recipe, 11:30 Bird goes in the oven, etc. Include clean-up time in the schedule as well. As stated, not everything will come out at once, but you’ll be much better timed and way less last-minute stressed if you’ve planned ahead and stuck to a schedule as much as possible.

2. Take out all the serving and baking dishes and serving utensils that you’re going to use. Put a sticky note in each one that says what it’s for, and put the utensil with it. That way you’ll know you have something for each dish to go in or on, and something to serve it with. No digging around pantries and silverware drawers at the last minute.

All great tips!

I’m very controlling about my kitchen, but I definitely recruit all comers to wash any dirty dishes. Be sure to have plenty of clean dishtowels! I probably use 5 or 6 for a typical turkey day dinner.

Cooking ahead is a critical step. Chop veggies for the dressing, cut up crudite, make the dip. It saves so much stress. I’m definitely setting up a drinks and appetizer station this year. My normal “bar” is in the corner of the kitchen near the stove. Totally in the way when guests are there. Have a cooler full of ice/drinks out of the way of the fridge/freezer. Keep your “triangle” free of intruders! :smiley:

ETA: what **Shayna **said: A day ahead, I set out all the serving dishes, and put a sticky note in them for their dish. It helps to decide what goes where.

Lists, lists, lists! Plan the order of doing things so that the timing comes out right. Last year for Christmas dinner, I had things timed within five minutes of eash other. I don’t recommend that. I was so stressed out. Keep things simple! You don’t want your guests watching you stressing out and sweating! Plan a menu that is fairly easy to accomplish.

1. Enforce the kid’s table. It’s there for a reason. If the little monkeys are going crazy around the house and kitchen, putting them in the basement with a DVD until it’s time for hors d’oeuvres is not out of the question. This includes other people’s children.

8A. Calculate times. Want to eat at 4PM? Work backward from there to determine start times for various dishes. Example: Turkey. 20 minutes to carve (I don’t carve at the table) 20 minutes to rest, 200 minutes to cook, and 20 minutes to get charcoal up to temp. gives 20+20+200+20=260. Divide this by 60 gives 4 hours and 20 minutes before dinner is when I need to light the charcoal. Do this for all of your dishes and determine which dishes can be done simultaneously such as turkey resting while potatoes are boiling, and yams are in the oven. Potatoes can be smashed while turkey is being carved, and rolls are in the oven.
8B. Anyway when you have your schedule, move it forward 30-60 minutes. So instead of lighting the charcoal at 11:40 I will light it at 11:10. If you are inexperienced, use the full 60 minutes. Your schedule will slip, don’t sweat it.

9A. :dubious: IME if you pull a turkey off at 150F in the thigh, it quite likely will walk off complaining bitterly about the case of sunburn you gave it. Buy and use a digital thermometer that has a cable and an alarm. Like this one. If you put it in the breast set it to 160-163F If you use it in the thigh, set it to 180F.

Best suggestion yet!

If you have a relative that’s self-obsessed and is going through a rough time, assign someone else to deal with them, so they don’t throw off your cooking schedule.

Seriously.

To this, I’ll add advice given to me by my grandmother 15 or 20 years ago:
“Remember, the only thing that NEEDS to be hot is the gravy!”

May I add a tip? Use those slowcookers! They’re great for cooking things AND keeping things warm.

I, for one, really don’t care for new recipes at traditional holidays. You want to deep fry a turkey? Prepare it Cajun style? Fine. Just DON’T MESS WITH MY ROASTED THANKSGIVING TURKEY! I’ve been waiting for it all year. Play with the recipe at some other time.

oops

Aw, you’re no fun. You know you can eat roasted turkey year round, right? I agree with not attempting new recipes (especially on key entrees) but if you’re a guest you shouldn’t feel entitled to specific turkey cooking styles.