The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-24-2008, 10:43 AM
amaguri amaguri is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
rancid butter

will it make you sick? i ate pancakes over the weekend that were fried in butter that... well, let me just say that something about the pancakes was definitely "off." i didn't realize it was the butter until about 1/4 of the way through, and then i stopped eating them.

i feel fine, but i'm curious if rancid butter is just kinda gross or if it's actually enough to give one food poisoning?
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 11-24-2008, 10:58 AM
jjimm jjimm is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Not necessarily. In Tibet they eat a huge amount of it - dissolve it in their tea, melt it on their flatbreads - and while it is an acquired taste, doesn't do one any harm.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-24-2008, 11:14 AM
1010011010 1010011010 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaguri View Post
i feel fine, but i'm curious if rancid butter is just kinda gross or if it's actually enough to give one food poisoning?
Rancidity is the result of a chemical decomposition of fatty acids and subsequent oxidization. It's not biological spoilage and, to my knowledge, is not significantly more toxic than what you'd get from cooking with butter.

The substance responsible for "butter flavor" is the same substance that gives vomit its characteristic flavor and aroma.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Hazle Weatherfield Hazle Weatherfield is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
A few years ago, after Thanksgiving. I ate some leftover peas that had quite a bit of butter on them. They still tasted fine, but were somewhat slimy. I know, I know...why in God's name did you eat them anyway? Less than an hour later I was in a ball in front of the heater, praying for death. I emptied my stomach completely and continued to dry heave for a long time. I could not even sit or stand. I have never been so sick in my life and there's absolutely no doubt that it was because of the butter on those peas.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-24-2008, 01:54 PM
lobotomyboy63 lobotomyboy63 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
That seems like a pretty *quick* reaction to bad food, Hazle.

Sickest I ever got was salmonella...my bro in law fixed some Chicken Cordon Bleu and it wasn't cooked properly due to an oven on the fritz. We *all* got sick. Flu-like symptoms but much more intense. Ugh! IIRC it took about 8 hours for the illness to kick in.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-24-2008, 04:13 PM
Canadjun Canadjun is offline
Non sum ergo non cogito
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 3,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazle Weatherfield View Post
A few years ago, after Thanksgiving. I ate some leftover peas that had quite a bit of butter on them. They still tasted fine, but were somewhat slimy. I know, I know...why in God's name did you eat them anyway? Less than an hour later I was in a ball in front of the heater, praying for death. I emptied my stomach completely and continued to dry heave for a long time. I could not even sit or stand. I have never been so sick in my life and there's absolutely no doubt that it was because of the butter on those peas.
Was that the only thing you ate in the preceding several hours? That is awfully fast for food poisoning.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-24-2008, 04:28 PM
Hazle Weatherfield Hazle Weatherfield is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadjun View Post
Was that the only thing you ate in the preceding several hours? That is awfully fast for food poisoning.
Absolutely; however, it may have been more like 2 or 3 hours later. It was over 10 years ago. But, I guarantee, that's what it was.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-24-2008, 04:29 PM
Hazle Weatherfield Hazle Weatherfield is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobotomyboy63 View Post
That seems like a pretty *quick* reaction to bad food, Hazle.

Sickest I ever got was salmonella...my bro in law fixed some Chicken Cordon Bleu and it wasn't cooked properly due to an oven on the fritz. We *all* got sick. Flu-like symptoms but much more intense. Ugh! IIRC it took about 8 hours for the illness to kick in.
What do asterisks surrounding a word mean? I'm really not sure.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-24-2008, 05:45 PM
DocCathode DocCathode is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1010011010 View Post
The substance responsible for "butter flavor" is the same substance that gives vomit its characteristic flavor and aroma.
Really? Butyric acid is what gives butter it's flavor? Seriously?
__________________
Nothing is impossible if you can imagine it. That's the wonder of being a scientist!
Prof Hubert Farnsworth, Futurama
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-24-2008, 06:50 PM
percypercy percypercy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
A few months ago, I went to a Mexican restaurant with my sister, her friend, and all of their kids. I ordered chicken fajitas, and one of the kids had a chicken chimichanga. No one else had chicken. It was seasoned within an inch of its life, and neither of us ate all that much.

We took my sister's friend and her kids to see Graceland after lunch so I got back to my house maybe 3-4 hours later. I sat down, then quickly lay down. I was back up and throwing up in the bathroom within minutes. I was fine after that, though I haven't gone near that restaurant since.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-24-2008, 07:04 PM
Q.E.D. Q.E.D. is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 22,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCathode View Post
Really? Butyric acid is what gives butter it's flavor? Seriously?
No. Butyric acid is what gives rancid butter it's flavor. Butyric acid triglyceride makes up about 3-4% of fresh butter, according to Wiki, and the butyric acid is liberated by hydrolysis when the butter goes rancid. The major flavor of fresh butter is, of course, from butterfat.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-24-2008, 07:04 PM
lobotomyboy63 lobotomyboy63 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazle Weatherfield View Post
What do asterisks surrounding a word mean? I'm really not sure.
Quicker than bold/underline.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Will Repair Will Repair is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2001
[Hi Jack!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazle Weatherfield View Post
What do asterisks surrounding a word mean? I'm really not sure.
Fidonet readers would edit out the asterisks and then bold or color the word.

[/Hi Jack!]
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.