Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 12-01-2008, 01:47 PM

Where do squirrels sleep?

In trees? Or holes under the ground?!
Advertisements  
Old 12-01-2008, 01:53 PM

On baby pigeons.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:54 PM

In trees, in a nest (a drey). They're quite small, so they're hard to spot.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:25 PM

There are about seven dreys visible in the trees beyond the far end of the garden. Big bundles of leaves 50-60 ft up. Easy to spot now the leaves have gone.
[Canadian Grey Squirrels here]
Old 12-01-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Wow. I'm surprised. So they are a bit like birds nesting up in the trees? I expected them to be more like rabbits and make underground burrows, especially as they bury their winter food under the ground. It must be a pain to have to climb down the tree every time they want a mid-snooze snack.

Last edited by I Have Hippos In My Garden; 12-01-2008 at 02:29 PM..
Old 12-01-2008, 02:46 PM

I imagine some of them must live inside holes in trees and other such places too. There are a pair of squirrels right by my work that have taken up residence in a lamp post. A concrete lamp post with a hole about 25ft up. They get to it by skittering along the telephone and hydro wires and then climbing up a few metal straps, one of which is right under their little urban condo. I watched them for a few minutes while waiting for a bus once just a couple of weeks ago. They were busy furnishing it with stuff.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:49 PM

In my backyard observations, at least some types of squirrels spend almost all of their time in the trees, jumping from one tree to another. They come down from the trees to pick up nuts and seeds that have fallen to the ground, but they are very cautious and if you make the slightest move towards them they will run back up the trunk of the tree.

However I have heard of ground squirrels so perhaps some species do spend most of their time on the ground and only go into the trees to escape predators and sleep.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 12-01-2008 at 02:50 PM..
Old 12-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Yes, ground squirrels live in burrows in the ground.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:32 PM
BANNED

I'd say most squirrel nests are huge! At least the one's I've seen.

I never really see them till after the leaves fall off the trees then you see them plain as day with the squirrels running in and out of them.

Last edited by Markxxx; 12-01-2008 at 05:33 PM..
Old 12-01-2008, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Where do squirrels sleep [at night?] If that's the question, I think it's been pretty well answered. But during the summer, especially when it's very hot, I see squirrels lying down on horizontal branches and falling off into dreamland. There is, for instance, a nice, flat patch of tree limb outside my bedroom, and I often watch them stop and lie down, belly right against the wood. And their little eyelids then just slowly droop and close, and their legs sometimes just hang down. Gone to the world. I don't know how these little naps - they last for at least 1/2 hour - effect their evening activity. I have never seen one sleeping there at night, either. But I do know that they don't do all their sleeping in dreys. xo, C.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:16 PM
BANNED

My fathers squirrel hunting method; shoot into a nest, if blood dripped out I had to climb the tree to retrieve the game.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't fight the hypothetical View Post
My fathers squirrel hunting method; shoot into a nest, if blood dripped out I had to climb the tree to retrieve the game.
That's a strange interpretation of the word hunting!
Old 12-01-2008, 06:36 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfield View Post
I imagine some of them must live inside holes in trees and other such places too. There are a pair of squirrels right by my work that have taken up residence in a lamp post. A concrete lamp post with a hole about 25ft up. They get to it by skittering along the telephone and hydro wires and then climbing up a few metal straps, one of which is right under their little urban condo. I watched them for a few minutes while waiting for a bus once just a couple of weeks ago. They were busy furnishing it with stuff.
You get water through wires?
Old 12-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
You get water through wires?
Hydroelectric power, I'm guessing.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:36 PM

The disconnect here is the definition of "squirrel", I think. Ground Squirrels or Tree Squirrels? Big 'Uns or Little 'Uns?

Most Ground squirrels, at least around here, are underground den hibernators. Eastern Grey Squirrels are tree nesters - either in cavities or those big leafy messes. They stay active all winter. So did the big Fox Squirrels I grew up with. Red Squirrels seem to like cavities, and also cache their food in them.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Ridley's Shooting Party View Post
Quite small compared to...what? An eagle or heron's nest? Grey squirrels' nests are huge compared to a song bird's nest, and easily visable this time of year high in trees; if you look up at a tree and see what looked like a pile of leaves and sticks stuck between branches, you've spotted one. Red squirrels, at least those with young, live inside trees instead of on them.

What do people know about flying squirrels' sleeping spaces? There are some up this way, but they're very rarely spotted compared to the other two types.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

Ignorance fought.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q.E.D. View Post
Hydroelectric power, I'm guessing.
That would be it. Although we get a lot (most?) of our power from nuke plants, but we still call 'em "hydro poles" and "hydro wires." Our sole provider of power until deregulation created competition was Ontario Hydro.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Have Hippos In My Garden View Post
Where do squirrels sleep? In trees? Or holes under the ground?!
They don't sleep anywhere. After a day of stealing every bit of birdseed from all the feeders in my yard they retire to my attic to get it on like Donkey Kong and then have some sort of wrestling/bowling competition till the sun rises.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:47 AM

Quote:
It must be a pain to have to climb down the tree every time they want a mid-snooze snack.
Do you keep your refrigerator next to your bed?
Old 12-02-2008, 10:08 AM

I see nests about the size of basketballs way up in big trees that seem to be made of leaves and sticks. I always assumed those were squirrel nests.

This site has information and a picture of a nest.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Do you keep your refrigerator next to your bed?
A very good point.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
A very good point.
Who are you to talk? You have Hippos in your garden!
Old 12-02-2008, 09:25 PM

I live on the second floor of an apartment building on a steep hill, so my balcony is about eye level with a drey in a big ol' maple. I could probably thwack it with a broom if I so chose.

It was pretty relaxing to sit out there over the summer with a cocktail, watching momma and/or poppa squirrel make repairs to the house. They'd run to one of the outer limbs of the tree, chomp off a bunch of leaves, carefully fold them up into a little compact bundle, and carry them back to stuff them in the walls of the nest.

I'd take a picture if it weren't so dark outside.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Who are you to talk? You have Hippos in your garden!
I don't eat them though!
Old 12-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC View Post
I don't know how these little naps - they last for at least 1/2 hour - effect their evening activity. I have never seen one sleeping there at night, either. But I do know that they don't do all their sleeping in dreys. xo, C.
I can vouch for this. When I lived in Texas we had one that would sleep sprawled out on the brick windowsill next to our upstairs deck in the summer. We thought he was dead or injured but when we'd go out there he'd jump up and onto the tree next to the windowsill, then eventually we'd see him sleeping in that spot again. We named him "Señor Siesta Squirrel."
Old 12-04-2008, 03:32 PM

Since the question has been pretty well answered, let me relate a story that happened to me. Last spring I moved to DC and got an apartment on a ground floor, and would sleep with my windows open. I got so I could recognize a certain bird every morning. It made what I would call a "tropical bird sound", sort of a combination between a caw and a krrsshhhh. Eevery morning I would look out my window for this bird, but could never spot it. Cut to early winter. I'm walking to work and hear this bird call again. That's strange, I thought, why hasn't that bird flown south? So I look around, and finally locate the sound to a certain tree. I walk over and look up, and all I see is this squirell. I try to wave it out of the way to see the bird that must be behind it, when the squirell opens his cute little mouth with a CAW-KRRRSSHHHHk. Until that day, I never knew that squirells made a peep.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:38 PM

Yep when I was young I was rather surprised to find out they make sounds. I was tasked with defending fruit trees from squirrels when I was 12 or 13, and learned a lot about them at that time. Here's one YouTube video of one noise a squirrel can make.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:38 PM

They will typically make 'scolding' sounds when frightened or angered by something, usually from the vantage point of a tree.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:05 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

I have a drey right outside my living room window.

We have a robust population of squirrels here in Willow Glen. More than you can shake a stick at...if you were so inclined.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:49 PM
BANNED

I have 2 beagles. Nord spends her day staring out the window waiting for squirrels. She is so focused she can barely hear you . All she wants is to bite a squirrel. She has chased them all over the yard and missed by inches. She is absolutely determined. They are gathering food now and are active.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
I have a drey right outside my living room window.

We have a robust population of squirrels here in Willow Glen. More than you can shake a stick at...if you were so inclined.
"Get off my lawn, you damn squirrels!"
Old 12-05-2008, 12:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzomax View Post
I have 2 beagles. Nord spends her day staring out the window waiting for squirrels. She is so focused she can barely hear you . All she wants is to bite a squirrel. She has chased them all over the yard and missed by inches. She is absolutely determined. They are gathering food now and are active.
Alas, my beagle has no interest whatsoever in squirrels, rabbits, or the usual beagle-y stuff.