Announcing Straight Dope Chicago

We’re about to launch a new venture called Straight Dope Chicago. As one might suppose, it’s a Chicago version of the Straight Dope. In keeping with our custom in these matters, we offer the following FAQ:

Why Chicago? Why the Straight Dope? Why now?

(1) Because Chicago is where Cecil and I live. (2) The Straight Dope’s job is fighting ignorance. We’ve been whaling away at it mightily for 35 years. However, if you look around Chicago today, you see that considerable ignorance remains. It’s time to open a second front. (3) We agree that, from a macroeconomic standpoint, the timing is not ideal. However, when we see a sign on a store that says, “Established 1933,” we think: Now that took balls. We figure that, by setting up shop now, we’ll throw the competition off the track.

No, really.

Because our experience with the Straight Dope persuades us it’s the obvious next step. Since opening the Straight Dope Web site in 1999, we’ve attracted an avid online following. Each month nearly 1 million people (“unique visitors,” in trade parlance) read a Straight Dope column via the Internet. Another 100,000 peruse the Straight Dope Message Board. All told, the site generates close to 11 million pageviews per month. Two thoughts occur to us: First, if we could create an equally vibrant online community in Chicago, that would take us a long way toward this Journalism 2.0 thing that some in the news media think we should be heading toward. Second, seeing as Chicago is where our advertising base is, we could make a big pile of dough.

So how is this going to work?

The concept will undoubtedly evolve, but right now here’s what’s in the mix:

[ol]
[li]A weekly Straight Dope Chicago column by Cecil Adams on a Chicago-centric topic. In a way, this is a return to the Straight Dope’s roots 35 years ago, when the column appeared only in Chicago and the questions were largely topical and local. The complete Straight Dope Chicago column will appear only online, with teasers in the printed Reader. The first Straight Dope Chicago column is tentatively scheduled to appear next Thurs., Dec. 11.[/li]
[li]A Straight Dope Chicago Message Board, which will operate on the same message board platform as the SDMB. This will go live on the evening of Wed., Dec. 3.[/li]
[li]A Straight Dope Chicago home page - this will go live at the same time the first SDC column appears on Dec. 11. This page will feature links to Cecil’s Chicago column, his regular column (probably), interesting threads from the SDCMB, Chicago Reader blogs, and whatever else we think pertinent.[/li][/ol]
How will the SDCMB be different from the SDMB?

We expect the conversation on the SDCMB will center around Chicago-related topics – you’ll notice we’ve set up forums for neighborhoods, Chicago politics, nightlife, and so on. We don’t plan to enforce a rigid division between the SDMB and the SDCMB. If somebody wants to start an SDCMB thread on a general-interest topic with implications for Chicago – the Obama presidency, for example – that’s fine. Threads on topics specific to some other part of the cosmos we may move to the SDMB.

Will there be any change to the existing Straight Dope column or the SDMB?

No.

If I’m already registered on the SDMB, do I need to re-register on the SDCMB?

No. The SDCMB and the SDMB are part of the same message board system. If you’re registered on one you’re registered on the other. You can easily navigate between the two without having to change logins.

Do I have to live in Chicago to participate on the SDCMB?

No.

The Chicago Reader is part of the Creative Loafing chain of alternative newspapers. Will you be launching local Straight Dope columns in Washington, Atlanta, and so on?

If Straight Dope Chicago flies, and the publishers of CL’s other papers are interested, we might. What a local Straight Dope presence in another city would look like, and in particular whether it would feature a local Straight column, remain to be seen. We note, however, that Cecil comes from a large family, many of whose members are currently out of work, and if we can get these mopes out of the basement and into gainful employment, well, we might as well kill two birds with one stone.

What about the 'burbs? Can we talk about the 'burbs in SDCMB?

I want to talk about Libertyville!

Good luck, I hope it works out well.

When will it be up?

Well that was odd timing: Here it is: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Since you expect to make money from the Chicago part, and since it seems to be integrated into the old Dope part, does this mean that somebody will put money into the IT side and correct the several thousand errors and problems left over from the now ancient conversion?

You understand that advertisers will not just run screaming from a Board as buggy as this one, but that they’ll tell everyone else to also avoid it at all costs, don’t you?

I hereby christen this the Straight Dope CuM Bucket.

ba-ba-bada ba-ba-bada (Turn it up)…
Do-pers keep on posting
You don’t have to meet the squid.
Posting things about Big Windy
We miss that city once again
(And we think it’s a sin).

Well I saw Ed Zotti post about it
Well I saw Zotti post it live.
Well I hope Zot-ti will remember
To feed those running gerbils a lot of extra chow.

Straight Dope Chi-ca-go
Where the postings all are new
Straight Dope Chi-ca-go
Cubs they’re coming home to you…

So a Politics Forum on the main board is too much to ask, but 6 new Forums, including redundant Sports and Food Forums, is peachy? I don’t understand this place at all sometimes…

Good grief.

Dunno, it seems like you’d be better to do a “Local” section where you pick your locale from a drop down and ever after when you click “Local Discussion” on the SDMB board it shows posts from others in the same group (locale.) Then you can add your own code outside of vBulletin that looks at the locale setting and displays ads that you’ve sold to a local business.

Dunno how implementable that is in vBulletin, of course. There should be a way to create forums visible to members of a group, but no quick and easy way to get people signed up to one.

But I don’t see a big draw in having a Straight Dope board besides the main one. Anything you would discuss there, besides local stuff, would be better discussed here, and why would people browse to the Straight Dope looking for local discussion?

But I could see having local discussion + straight dope all together as something quite nice and, subsequently, something to draw in more people.

I’m confused. How is this a good thing again? What need is the SDCMB trying to fill? Chicago-specific forums wouldn’t be appropriate here?

'dlike to see a cite on that one. I’d expect advertisers wouldn’t give a hoot how buggy the pages their ads appear on are, as long as the ads themselves appear.

-FrL-

Well not to break theme, but I’m all for it. Yeah, I live a Chicago-centric life so there’s a bit of a personal benefit for me, but as always I support all of the efforts put forth by TPTB. If it attracts more money for CL and new posters for the Dope At Large, then what do we stand to lose? Keep on keepin on Ed.

Great Googly Moogly, why the hate? I personally think it’s a pretty good idea, and I’m only disappointed that it didn’t come along before I moved away from Chicago.

Oh, I’m not hatin’. I just don’t get it, that’s all. We’ve had plenty of “Chi-Dopers, I’m coming to town, where should I eat?” threads that seem to work just fine.

I mostly look at posts by New Posts search or User CP anyway, so it’s all the same to me. If TPTB think this will bring in greater revenue and more foot traffic, then great.

Plus if this sucker gets off the ground it’s going to be helpful for that Super Mega 10th Anniversary Sweet Home Chicago Dopefest next year.

Think about it, a bar/eatery gets some good ad space in the Reader, they get to know us, and the next thing you know it’s free beer for the Dopefest. :cool:
ETA - who is modding those forums? I don’t see any of the usual suspects listed as mods for those forums.

This is the forum for “suggestions, complaints, and other discussions regarding rules, administration, and moderator decisions,” but it’s not meant to be a copy of the Pit, which is where your comment really belongs.

1. The Dope’s advertising base is in Chicago.

2. That base would pay more money if it’s ads could reach more people living in Chicago.

3. The Dope puts out a Chicago specific column from Cecil and draws more Chicago residents to it’s Chicago based forum.

4. Chicago residents stay in the new forum and the Dope tells advertisers it has a lot of visitors from Chicago.

5. Profit.

The ads and the people. As long as a significant amount of people visit the boards why would advertisers care how buggy it tends to be?

If you ever do a board for my location you can safely lose the nightlife forum.

Looks great, Ed. Now Side Conversations makes sense. :slight_smile:

When I scrolled down, it was like a whole new vista opened up. Straight Dope Chicago. It’s gotta nice ring to it. Makes this place a little more upscale, and there’s a nightlife forum.
My hope is that this stenghtens the Straight Dope Message Board.

Cheers,

Kozmik

So, where is this Straight Dope Chicago home page? I can’t seem to find a link to it anywhere.