Old 12-04-2008, 07:11 PM

Bad Movie Club

The discussion in the Theodore Rex thread inspired me to see if anyone was interested in taking a few more bullets for the team? Anyone want to watch a handful of truly bad movies--bad by accident, or by committee, not on purpose--and spend some time in here commiserating?

I nominate the following films.
  1. Theodore Rex
  2. Quigley
  3. Howard the Duck
  4. Latitude Zero
  5. Glen or Glenda
  6. Xanadu
  7. Trog
  8. Battlefield Earth
  9. 10,000 B.C.
  10. Leonard Part 6
All available on Netflix, though of course you should support your local indie video store before you turn to the Red Envelope.

That's ten. Ist that too many? If so, let's see if we can vote a few off. Or, we can just tackle the ten and see how many of us survive to watch all of them./

N.B.: I've intentionally left of movies that many people consider bad, but that do have their serious defenders (Showgirls, Red Dawn, Ishtar, etc.). I think we should leave those for another thread, dedicated specifically to such contentious titles.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:19 PM

Scanners 4, Scanner Cop

so bad I dont know where to begin, so bad it is indeed teh funny, so bad you deserve a cookie if you can finish it.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical1 View Post
Scanners 4, Scanner Cop

so bad I dont know where to begin, so bad it is indeed teh funny, so bad you deserve a cookie if you can finish it.
I agree, worthy of any such list. But I think we could extend this thread to infinity and beyond if we tried to get a consensus on the 10 worst movies. So to save that, I took it upon myself as OP to suggest the first round of movies, rather than calling for general nominations. Cool?
Old 12-04-2008, 07:32 PM

I've seen some of those movies since I used to write for Dante's Inferno and All Night Video Store. Be careful...some of them can induce madness.

But heres a bad one...really bad....Killjoy. It even had a sequel. Even for a b movie it was really really bad. If the Inferno is still there, the review is there, but its at your own risk to watch that godawful movie.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:54 PM

Actually, Xanadu is available for free on Hulu. I saw it at the theater when I was 12. I had actually wanted to see it and my dad took my sister and me. Man, I can't imagine how annoyed he was by that. However, I have done the same by taking my children (10 and 7) to see Nacho Libre.

As far as the actual movie goes: I enjoyed the music and had the soundtrack. However, looking back at it now, I find it interesting in that it captures the (at the time) fading disco hype and almost presages the 80s. If you want to see where Mike Myers got his inspiration for the roller discoing Goldmember, wait for the scene where Gene Kelly comes in skating right before the big "Xanadu" number.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

I'll probably will get piled on here but the Joy Luck Club. If I ever need a sleeping pill I'll watch this movie. I still haven't made it through.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:30 PM

Should I start a different thread for people to list their bad movie picks? That is, if anyone is interested in watching some of the movies in the OP for discussion? If no one's interested in doing that, I guess I'll just let the hijack play out.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:48 PM

Drop Dead Fred.
Toys.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:03 PM

Monster Dog, starring Alice Cooper.

Both a title and a description.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:04 PM

Doom Generation. (You will want to punch everyone in that movie)
The Avengers
Batman and Robin
Old 12-04-2008, 09:06 PM

Is Quigley the same as "Quigley Down Under"? I ask because *gulp* my husband has that DVD and I am willing to take the bullet for the team and watch it.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgoddess View Post
Is Quigley the same as "Quigley Down Under"? I ask because *gulp* my husband has that DVD and I am willing to take the bullet for the team and watch it.
Nope.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:18 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

I don't think I could take another round with Battlefield Earth. Combine the worst parts of portentious, self-obsessed sci-fi with all the fun of a documentary about office politics, mix it together with Scientology lunacy and obvious allegory and you have a dreadfully boring, ugly movie.

I might be willing to try Glen or Glenda. And I've had Hudson Hawk sitting around for a while - I've been meaning to try it. On paper it looks like the worst movie idea ever.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:19 PM

One more attempt before I give up: those of you who are listing your personal Bad Movies here, please read the OP. That's not what this thread was intended to be.

If this "club" to watch a specific list of bad movies, modeled on the Son of the SDMB Musicals Group thread, wasn't meant to be, I'll let it fade.

But one last attempt to clarify the OP: is anyone interested in watching and discussing a specific list of "bad" movies? I find you can sometimes learn as much from a bad movie as a good movie, in a how-not-to-do-it fashion. Also, some of them are pretty entertaining, in a very camp, PALATR way.

Last edited by lissener; 12-04-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissener View Post
Nope.
Drat. I thought it was going to be easy, and I would have had the added pleasure of telling my husband one of his movies was on a "really bad movie list that people are daring each other to watch!"
Old 12-04-2008, 09:34 PM

How is it that Howard the Duck is on Netflix? Is it one of those Netflix-only DVDs or something, because as far as I know it hasn't been released on DVD. And I would know, because I luurve that movie (Leah Thompson singing is pretty much the only reason, but still..). If there is a way I can get an 'official' DVD of this I would be very happy indeed.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:39 PM

Do we have to sit through the whole movie? I do find bad movies oddly interesting, especially when there are others with whom to discuss it. The Theodore Rex thread has piqued my interest in the film, just from a how-bad-can-it-be? perspective.

I think I might be interested.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger View Post
Do we have to sit through the whole movie?
Yes. To be enforced by ninjas.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger View Post
Do we have to sit through the whole movie?
Can you only take half a bullet?
Old 12-04-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Can you only take half a bullet?
Old 12-04-2008, 09:51 PM

I don't watch enough movies to make watching all of them feasible. But I will volunteer to watch Xanadu. I have seen it before, but I remember nothing--perhaps that's a protective memory loss.

Or maybe it will be my New Favorite Film Ever!
Old 12-04-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
It can just wing him!
Old 12-05-2008, 09:31 PM

I'm going in. If I never return, "Xanadu" was the death of me. Farewell! Farewell!
Old 12-05-2008, 09:49 PM

Heh, lissener, seems like it's not only your jokes that tend to go misunderstood...

Of those listed in the OP, I have only (as far as I remember) seen Howard the Duck, and I can't remember anything about it safe for one scene where the, uh, female lead I presume, went through Howard's wallet and found a condom in it.
Now, when I saw it, I was rather young -- young enough, in fact, to both watch it with my parents and to not have a really clear idea about the purpose of condoms.
So well, I asked.
Thus, the film Howard the Duck ended up prompting The Talk for me. Which means that I unfortunately can't take part in the Bad Movie challenge, cause everything listed in conjunction with that film just makes me want to curl up in the foetal position in a corner of my room and rock back and forth for a while.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:11 PM

Good god. Now I know why this is a bad movie club. Someone hit me with it.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:24 PM

I own Glen or Glenda, part of an Ed Wood box set.

I've seen it a couple times, but I'll watch it tonight and try to stay awake through it.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:24 PM

Ha. Is that the Xanadu stick you're referring to?
Old 12-05-2008, 11:25 PM

Not only have I seen all 10 of those films, I own 2 on DVD: Glen or Glenda and Trog. I used to have Howard the Duck on VHS, but the tape went bad, and I don't want to by crappy converted copy from someone on ebay, so I wait.

HtD is an awesome movie if you turn the sound down and play Absolutely Freak Out: Zap Your Mind! by Acid Mothers Temple instead while under the, um, influence. Of stuff.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Ha. Is that the Xanadu stick you're referring to?
Xanadu is really... not good. Not good at all.

Sonny Malone should've been taken out and shot and replaced by a lamp post (it obviously already happened to Olivia Newton-John).

It's sad that the most fun I had was trying to identify Wilfrid Hyde-White's voice and wondering why one of the muses had a penis growing out of her head.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:37 PM

Oh man, I just remembered that Xanadu has been made into a Broadway musical. Just when you thought Suessical defined a new rock bottom.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:38 PM

Ha. I like what this paper says about the movie:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicago Reader
This big-budget bubble-gum musical is appalling but compulsively watchable; it's the perfect crystallization of a 13-year-old girl's taste, circa 1980, complete with roller discos, dreamy boys, fashion shows, and fantasy father figures. Director Robert Greenwald has a lot of ideas, all of them bad: his style could be described as rapid misfire. The cinematography, by Victor Kemper, is the worst imaginable in a film of this cost, while the score, by Jeff Lynne and the Electric Light Orchestra, is damnably catchy--it sticks in your head like a maggot.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Oh man, I just remembered that Xanadu has been made into a Broadway musical. Just when you thought Suessical defined a new rock bottom.
Neither of those even begins to compare to the horror that was Cop Rock.

Thankfully, it was TV and it got canceled. Quickly.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 12-05-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:45 PM

Like a maggot. Oh god.

I do have to say that the plot could have worked if not for the acting, the storytelling, and the dancing. Whose idea was it to put Sonny and Kira on roller skates to let them wobble endlessly through a popup maze of palm trees? WHOSE?

The music was by far the best part of the thing, though I'll confess to a love of ELO that no amount of roller skating can dim!

Oh, and I guess Gene Kelly didn't really embarrass himself. His role was pretty flat and lifeless, but at least he didn't have a penis head.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
. . . but at least he didn't have a penis head.
Oh, so you're not watching the extended cut?
Old 12-06-2008, 01:08 AM

I may be getting ahead of things. This just came in, so of course I have to watch it. Any movie with William Shatner, Ida Lupino, Tom Frikkin Skerritt, and Ernest Borgnine as a goat-horned demon, well you'll understand if I feel I have no free will in the matter: there seems to be voice in my head bellowing, "We COMPEL you to watch! We COMPEL you to watch!"
Old 12-06-2008, 06:47 AM

A friend of mine reminded me of the most awful movie we saw together as kids....Tougher than Leather. amazingly the first few comments on the imdb page say it was pretty good. Trust me, it wasn't....and I like Run DMC.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I may be getting ahead of things. This just came in, so of course I have to watch it. Any movie with William Shatner, Ida Lupino, Tom Frikkin Skerritt, and Ernest Borgnine as a goat-horned demon, well you'll understand if I feel I have no free will in the matter: there seems to be voice in my head bellowing, "We COMPEL you to watch! We COMPEL you to watch!"
Not to mention both John Travolta AND Anton LaVey.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

I reject any criteria which calls Leonard Part 6 a bad movie. I was in hysterics. Now if I only I can find Parts 1 thru 5.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:36 AM

Wing Commander IV
Plan 9 from Outer Space (of course)
Zardoz (seriously bad bad bad)
Spice World
Old 12-06-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Oh, so you're not watching the extended cut?
That's a little more info about Gene Kelly than I wanted, buddy.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitnam View Post
But the music (a choral version of Beethoven's Seventh) is outstanding.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:47 PM

The 25th anniversary edition of Glen or Glenda was still awful. For a movie that billed itself as the most daring film of the year, it sure was boring. It has the preachy feel of 50's educational films. Glacial pacing. 20 minutes of conversation just to build up to "Glen is a transvestite". Not to introduce you to nor develop the characters of Glen and his Fiancee Barbara, but just to tell you that there is such a thing as cross-dressing and that Glen does it. Clunky doesn't begin to describe the dialog either. Ed Wood drank. Ed Wood wrote this script. He did both at the same time.

Bela Lugosi's character had nothing at all to do with the rest of the film. Literally. Timothy Farrell and the strippers in the fantasy sequence from 34.42 to 44.52 were the best actors in the film.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:13 AM

Did you just watch this now, for this thread?
Old 12-07-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Did you just watch this now, for this thread?
Yeah, I volunteered for it in post #26 but I fell asleep during the film last night. I gave it another shot today and finished it in one sitting.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:30 AM

Cool. Yeah, pretty amazingly bad movie, but still in a pretty entertaining way.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:34 AM

So that's Xanadu and Glen or Glenda down. Anyone up for any of the other ones? I've seen them all, but the purpose of this thread was the spread the, uh, joy.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:26 AM

I took the challenge and DLd Battlefield Earth, thinking it'd make a boring Sunday afternoon a little bit more entertaining. I mean, watching RoadHouse can certainly brighten a grey, humid, rainy afternoon.

I've hear a lot about how craptacular this movie is, but never felt a need to confirm this by viewing it myself.

Wow.

At first I wondered what the big deal was. I mean, it looks like every other post apocalyptic, dystopian SciFi flick ever. Yeah, we're in the future, mankind has no techs, we're on the verge of extinction, here comes a hero that will save the day. Yawn.

Enter the Psychlo and Travolta.
His "acting" alone drags it down three full IMDb points. Adding the awful dialogue, realizing that he managed to drag Whittaker with him into the abyss (no small feat), the overblown preachyness, to make it, yes, as bad as people say. And not even in an entertaining way.

There, I took a bullet. Who's next?

Last edited by Charlie Tan; 12-07-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Drat. I thought it was going to be easy, and I would have had the added pleasure of telling my husband one of his movies was on a "really bad movie list that people are daring each other to watch!"
For the record, my husband also owns the DVD of "Quigley Down Under".

Why, oh why?
Old 12-07-2008, 02:25 PM

Home video is for wimps. I've seen three of those films in the theater!

1. Theodore Rex
2. Quigley
3. Howard the Duck
4. Latitude Zero
5. Glen or Glenda
6. Xanadu
7. Trog
8. Battlefield Earth
9. 10,000 B.C.
10. Leonard Part 6
Old 12-07-2008, 06:02 PM

I've actually seen Glen or Glenda on the big screen. And I feel a vague recollection that I might have seen Howard the Duck in its first release as well. Thankfully, that memory seems mostly to be lost in the shrouds of a bad memory.