The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 12-07-2000, 11:42 AM

I share my apartment with a roommate. Although we both go to bed at close to the same time (between 10pm -11pm), she is up at 6am, bright & chipper and out the door by 6:30. I, however, have to really struggle to get out of the sack by 9am! There are plenty of times that I've slept to 10am, and on weekends sometimes until noon.

It's not that i'm lazy, honestly. I set my alarm for 6am and start to wake up and spend several hours really trying to rouse myself, but it feels like i've been given a sedative, I keep slipping in and out or consciousness. I have frequent bouts of dreaming-waking-dreaming-waking and sometimes can't tell if I'm asleep or awake. It's even more puzzling because I am kind of a light sleeper; at least once a night, I am startled in my sleep and fully awake for seemingly no reason at all and I need about 10 minutes to drift back to sleep. I don't at all like sleeping so late every day and have been trying like mad to condition myself to wake up at 6am, but nothing i've tried works.

I need suggestions. How do I get myself to wake up earlier. Is my morning sluggishness a condition that can be "cured"?
Advertisements  
Old 12-07-2000, 11:48 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Me!! Joe!!!
It's even more puzzling because I am kind of a light sleeper; at least once a night, I am startled in my sleep and fully awake for seemingly no reason at all and I need about 10 minutes to drift back to sleep.
[/B]
This might have soemthing to do with it. Waking up during the night will make you tired; interrupted sleep isn't nearly as restful as uninterrupted sleep.

The other kicker is to stand up when the alarm goes off, so matter how tired you are. If you try to wake up in bed you won't. Waking up quickly requires some physical effort. Get up and wander around the apartment, even if a half-awake shuffle is the best you can do. Another trick is to read something, because they gets the brain in gear; go to the bathroom and have something to page through when you're heeding Nature's call. If you give your body a reason to be awake (walking around, reading, or whatever) it'll get itself going; if you don't, it won't. As long as you're in bed you will remain drowsy.
Old 12-07-2000, 12:54 PM

Does the morning light hit your roommateís window and not yours? Some people need natural light to help them wake up. There's some clocks that have increasing light for the half hour before the alarm goes off.
Do you use an electric blanket? I read a study once (no cite, Iím a looser!) claming that people who had artificially stimulated their body temperatures also had trouble rising.
Do some web searches, but specify human, or all you get is a lot of information on bears.
Oh, and you are not the only one, http://www.uexpress.com/ups/comics/c.../ch871002.html
Old 12-07-2000, 01:05 PM

It could be sleep apnea, a condition where you stop breathing when you fall asleep. Doing this a couple of thousand times a night can make you VERY tired. Go see a doctor !
Old 12-07-2000, 03:31 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xtal
[B]Does the morning light hit your roommateís window and not yours? Some people need natural light to help them wake up. There's some clocks that have increasing light for the half hour before the alarm goes off.
Do you use an electric blanket? I read a study once (no cite, Iím a looser!) claming that people who had artificially stimulated their body temperatures also had trouble rising.
Do some web searches, but specify human, or all you get is a lot of information on bears.[B]

Actually I sleep on the street side of the apartment and have the blinders closed up tight at night. In the morning it's still pretty dark in my room. I don't have an electric blanket, but I do have several blankets that I usually have piled on top of me, so it is pretty toasty. You may be on to something, xtal.

At least I hope you are! I sure as hell hope I'm not stopping breathing in the middle of the night as Squink suggests. But I do have a doctor's appt. coming up, I'll mention it.

Thanks for the advice, one and all.
Old 12-07-2000, 03:35 PM

xtal Re: Calvin & Hobbes cartoon --- yeah that's me in the morning all right!