Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-22-2009, 11:24 PM
Diogenes the Cynic Diogenes the Cynic is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 58,797
The Office: "Prince Family Paper" (Open Spoilers)

I thought this was one of the better episodes this season, especially the B story. The Hillary Swank debate was this show at its best. I especially liked Oscar's and Stanley's speeches, Oscar's carefuly prepared and analytical presentation followed by Stanley's impassioned appeal to emotion.

Michale and Dwight's dog and pony show at the rival paper company wasn't bad either. It looks like they might be hinting at Michael being considered for a New York job.


"Hot is a temperature, people."

Last edited by Diogenes the Cynic; 01-22-2009 at 11:25 PM.
  #2  
Old 01-23-2009, 12:48 AM
MyFootsZZZ MyFootsZZZ is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 4,589
I liked the Hillary Swank part of the episode too.

Michael's story was ok, but I think they went too far in trying making the audience,(and Michael), feel sympathetic for the Mom-and-Pop paper shop owners. The extreme kindness of these people, and the cute little kid... they just laid it on too thick for my tastes. I wanted to feel Michael's struggle at the end, but I didn't have much sympathy because the owners seemed almost like caricatures of do-gooder's.

Last edited by MyFootsZZZ; 01-23-2009 at 12:49 AM.
  #3  
Old 01-23-2009, 07:15 AM
Rubystreak Rubystreak is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South of Heaven
Posts: 9,246
I thought Michael was actually not a buffoon in this episode. He handled himself quite competently during his espionage mission, whereas Dwight was a nightmare. This may be the first episode where Michael did nothing to make me cringe, and was mostly a normal person. It was nice, for a change.
  #4  
Old 01-23-2009, 09:44 AM
Gadarene Gadarene is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 6,636
I loved this episode. It had a lot of nice little touches.
  #5  
Old 01-23-2009, 01:41 PM
FriarTed FriarTed is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: IN USA
Posts: 13,223
Anyone else think/hope that the family's "client list" is something they give everyone who they think is trying to take their business?
  #6  
Old 01-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Gadarene Gadarene is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 6,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarTed View Post
Anyone else think/hope that the family's "client list" is something they give everyone who they think is trying to take their business?
I was definitely waiting for that to be the stinger. But Michael's musings about bittersweet chocolate turned out to be far more awesome.
  #7  
Old 01-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Diogenes the Cynic Diogenes the Cynic is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 58,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarTed View Post
Anyone else think/hope that the family's "client list" is something they give everyone who they think is trying to take their business?
I was expecting that whole storefront to be some kind of staged fake-out or sting. If the family is really that naive and trusting then Dwight was right -- if Dunder-Mifflin didn't devour them, someone else would have.

Last edited by Diogenes the Cynic; 01-23-2009 at 01:46 PM.
  #8  
Old 01-23-2009, 01:47 PM
MovieMogul MovieMogul is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 15,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarTed View Post
Anyone else think/hope that the family's "client list" is something they give everyone who they think is trying to take their business?
Can't say one way or the other, but I'm hoping they don't drop this thread but have another ep or two that deals with this small company and the front office's interest in Michael's "skills".
  #9  
Old 01-23-2009, 02:02 PM
MyFootsZZZ MyFootsZZZ is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 4,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadarene View Post
I was definitely waiting for that to be the stinger. But Michael's musings about bittersweet chocolate turned out to be far more awesome.
I just saw it again. I still think they laid it on too thick, with the "World's Best Father/Son" mugs, and the little girl having her own name plate. You're right though, about Michael's bittersweet chocolate speech. He just gave up trying to deffend it. It wasn't a bad episode.

Last edited by MyFootsZZZ; 01-23-2009 at 02:04 PM.
  #10  
Old 01-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Dewey Finn Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 24,846
One thing I thought odd was the idea that Andy, Dwight and Angela were still working together, despite the events of last week.

I did like Michael's evident conflict over the idea of screwing that little company. It was definitely an unethical thing to do.
  #11  
Old 01-23-2009, 02:36 PM
Morbo Morbo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: 123 Fake Street
Posts: 9,692
"Live and Let Live?!"

"It's a James Bond...nevermind."
  #12  
Old 01-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Dewey Finn Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 24,846
Another thing. The red wire prank was funny.
  #13  
Old 01-23-2009, 02:45 PM
AuntiePam AuntiePam is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 18,119
Dwight chasing Michael all over the building and the parking lot was funny. Doesn't Michael know where they keep the shredder?
  #14  
Old 01-23-2009, 02:50 PM
MyFootsZZZ MyFootsZZZ is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 4,589
"have you ever seen a raccoon devour a squirrel?"

"My heart has gone down the wrong path many, many times. Jan... Ryan."
  #15  
Old 01-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Sigmagirl Sigmagirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Western Reserve
Posts: 8,366
I thought Michael was heading to the bathroom to flush the list, but he couldn't whether to decide to go to the men's or the ladies'.
  #16  
Old 01-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Gangster Octopus Gangster Octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: US of O
Posts: 13,171
Soooooo...

Hillary Swank, hot or not?

Not.
  #17  
Old 01-23-2009, 04:17 PM
MyFootsZZZ MyFootsZZZ is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 4,589
In what I percieve as being "hot", Hillary Swank is not.

"Hot" isn't always ideal though. Pam for instance is "cute", not "hot", but I wound't change her. In fact, I found her to be even more attractive when she looked a little more modest.

Ginger May have been the "hot" one, but Mary Ann was "cute", and more attractive imo than Ginger. I think "cute" women tend to age better too.
  #18  
Old 01-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Gangster Octopus Gangster Octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: US of O
Posts: 13,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFootsZZZ View Post
In what I percieve as being "hot", Hillary Swank is not.

"Hot" isn't always ideal though. Pam for instance is "cute", not "hot", but I wound't change her. In fact, I found her to be even more attractive when she looked a little more modest.

Ginger May have been the "hot" one, but Mary Ann was "cute", and more attractive imo than Ginger. I think "cute" women tend to age better too.
I agree, but Kevin was adamant that hot was not the same as pretty or cute or whatever.

It's in your gut.
  #19  
Old 01-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Morbo Morbo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: 123 Fake Street
Posts: 9,692
She looks like Matt Damon in drag.
  #20  
Old 01-23-2009, 04:30 PM
MyFootsZZZ MyFootsZZZ is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 4,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
I agree, but Kevin was adamant that hot was not the same as pretty or cute or whatever.

It's in your gut.
lol
"Just show us a picture Jim... He's making it all fancy and.... It's a gut thing!"
My vote is for not.
  #21  
Old 01-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Diogenes the Cynic Diogenes the Cynic is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 58,797
"It's 'is she hot,' not 'would you do her.' Respect the game."
  #22  
Old 01-23-2009, 05:15 PM
enalzi enalzi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,539
"Are you really going to let the Kevins of the world decide this? We don't even give him full internet access!"
"Wait, what?"
  #23  
Old 01-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Frostillicus Frostillicus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,625
"So, how long have you owned this business?"

"Ever since I got back from Vietnam."

"I hear its lovely."

Michael cracks me up.
  #24  
Old 01-23-2009, 10:49 PM
Greg Charles Greg Charles is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,915
Viet Nam is lovely, at least bits of it are. I liked that line especially, since the first time I came here, no one could think of it as a country apart from the war. It's nice to see someone, even Michael, erring in the opposite direction.
  #25  
Old 01-23-2009, 11:41 PM
mshar253 mshar253 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The good part of PA
Posts: 655
CRAAP! Lost's new season made me completely forget about The Office this week. Thank God most network TV is streamed now...
  #26  
Old 01-23-2009, 11:57 PM
dropzone dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 28,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes the Cynic View Post
"It's 'is she hot,' not 'would you do her.' Respect the game."
My out-loud reaction? "I love guys!" Er, not THAT way. Just in the way of knowing and accepting what rule-obsessed horndogs we are. That summed it up in just a few words.

Oh, and I'm still on the fence regarding Ms Swank, but I'm leaning toward, "Not a classical beauty, but a woman whose animal magnetism goes beyond such trivial things. Hot."

Last edited by dropzone; 01-24-2009 at 12:02 AM.
  #27  
Old 01-24-2009, 12:30 AM
iamthewalrus(:3= iamthewalrus(:3= is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 10,578
Hot.
  #28  
Old 01-24-2009, 12:35 AM
Rubystreak Rubystreak is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South of Heaven
Posts: 9,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus(:3= View Post
She's a butter face.
  #29  
Old 01-24-2009, 12:38 AM
Oslo Ostragoth Oslo Ostragoth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: the Prairie
Posts: 6,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus(:3= View Post
Sweet Jebus.

I will opine that she was hot in Karate Kid III, but I don't know if I have seen her in anything since.
  #30  
Old 01-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Khadaji Khadaji is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Southern Pennsylvania
Posts: 21,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oslo Ostragoth View Post
Sweet Jebus.

I will opine that she was hot in Karate Kid III, but I don't know if I have seen her in anything since.
She wasn't hot at all in the Karate Kid III - mostly because she wasn't in it.

She was in The Next Karate Kid
  #31  
Old 01-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Ensign Edison Ensign Edison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,751
Am I crazy or did it say it was directed by Steve Buscemi?
  #32  
Old 01-24-2009, 12:09 PM
interface2x interface2x is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 6,793
I think that was "30 Rock", Ensign.
  #33  
Old 01-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Ensign Edison Ensign Edison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,751
Ah that was probably it, thanks. I gotta stop sleeping in the Giant Pod of TV Screens.
  #34  
Old 01-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Llama Llogophile Llama Llogophile is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: 50% chord point
Posts: 3,605
I too thought it was really strange that there wasn't a single mention of the Dwight / Andy / Angela conflict.
  #35  
Old 01-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Justin_Bailey Justin_Bailey is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 15,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
Soooooo...

Hillary Swank, hot or not?
Definitely not. It's clear she's attractive, but Kevin is right, the question was "Is she hot?" and she's not.
  #36  
Old 01-24-2009, 03:09 PM
The Second Stone The Second Stone is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Antioch
Posts: 11,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
She looks like Matt Damon in drag.
I've never seen them both at the same time in the same place. I think you're onto something.
  #37  
Old 01-24-2009, 04:31 PM
MyFootsZZZ MyFootsZZZ is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 4,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
She looks like Matt Damon in drag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubystreak View Post
She's a butter face.
Though I agree she isn't in-fact "hot" NO WAY she's THAT bad. Maybe Matt Damon looks like her in drag. If they were brother and sister, I may see the resemblance, but "mannish" she is not, (unless she's playing a man, or a woman that wants to be a man).

"Butter face".... REALLY!? I mean... REALLY!? I've seen butter faces before. I don't agree she IS one.

I thought Oscar's argument on symmetry was counter-productive, in the example he was using it showed her face is pretty damn close to being perfect as far as that's concerned.

Last edited by MyFootsZZZ; 01-24-2009 at 04:33 PM.
  #38  
Old 01-24-2009, 04:44 PM
Rubystreak Rubystreak is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South of Heaven
Posts: 9,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFootsZZZ View Post
"Butter face".... REALLY!? I mean... REALLY!? I've seen butter faces before. I don't agree she IS one.
What do you think butter face means? It means she has a hot body but her face ain't great. I think she has a horsey, not particularly pretty, face. Her body is smokin'. Hence, butter face. She's not hideous by any stretch, and if you like her face, you'd probably think she was hot. I don't, and I think that was the Not Hot coalition's stance.
  #39  
Old 01-24-2009, 05:18 PM
MyFootsZZZ MyFootsZZZ is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 4,589
I can see the confusion. Like "Hot" I believe I've always held a certain... 'grouping' for "butter face" women. A face has to be a certain level of unattractive to qualify. By my standards, she's not a butter face.

Last edited by MyFootsZZZ; 01-24-2009 at 05:19 PM.
  #40  
Old 01-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Hal Briston Hal Briston is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: A nice chunk o' NJ
Posts: 14,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFootsZZZ View Post
I thought Oscar's argument on symmetry was counter-productive, in the example he was using it showed her face is pretty damn close to being perfect as far as that's concerned.
I thought Oscar's presentation was interesting, simply as a counter-example. Facial symmetry is supposed to be an aspect of beauty, and as he showed, Swank has near-perfect facial symmetry. However, this does not change how wildly unattractive she is.

And not in the least bit hot.
  #41  
Old 01-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Lamia Lamia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 13,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFootsZZZ View Post
I thought Oscar's argument on symmetry was counter-productive, in the example he was using it showed her face is pretty damn close to being perfect as far as that's concerned.
I think his point was that, while she may have pleasant facial features, that didn't mean she was "hot". Like Kevin's comment about how a painting might be beautiful, but you wouldn't say a painting is "hot". (What were his exact words, that he wouldn't bang a painting?)

Last edited by Lamia; 01-24-2009 at 05:31 PM.
  #42  
Old 01-24-2009, 05:37 PM
MyFootsZZZ MyFootsZZZ is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 4,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Briston View Post
I thought Oscar's presentation was interesting, simply as a counter-example. Facial symmetry is supposed to be an aspect of beauty, and as he showed, Swank has near-perfect facial symmetry. However, this does not change how wildly unattractive she is.

And not in the least bit hot.


Perhaps someone brought up her facial symmetry before Oscar touched on it. I wouldn't see a reason to bring up an argument that could have been used for the other side, just to point out that despite that fact, she was still definitely not "hot".

...Unless he wanted to show that he was so convinced in the fact that she was NOT "hot", that he decided to "recognize" the quality even if nobody had, but then confidently proclaim; "Still not hot!" So as to relate to the other side's argument, but stay true to his convictions.

I would like to here all their arguments, maybe in deleted scenes.

Lamia, just saw your post. See the point.

Last edited by MyFootsZZZ; 01-24-2009 at 05:38 PM.
  #43  
Old 01-24-2009, 08:29 PM
Quercus alba Quercus alba is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Upper Midwest
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntiePam View Post
Dwight chasing Michael all over the building and the parking lot was funny. Doesn't Michael know where they keep the shredder?
After Dwight's speech, I thought it was headed for a Frodo (Michael) and Gollum (Dwight) showdown of some sort--perhaps at the shredder.

Also, loved Stanley's "summation".
  #44  
Old 01-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Lionne Lionne is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,938
I say she's hot.
  #45  
Old 01-24-2009, 11:27 PM
FriarTed FriarTed is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: IN USA
Posts: 13,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by interface2x View Post
I think that was "30 Rock", Ensign.
Thanks, I was going to answer it myself but I forgot if it was 30 Rock or Earl. You are correct. Makes me wonder what else Buscemi's directed that I didn't notice.
  #46  
Old 01-24-2009, 11:31 PM
Rubystreak Rubystreak is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South of Heaven
Posts: 9,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionne View Post
I say she's hot.
I notice her face is mostly obscured in both those pictures.

Not hot.

Last edited by Rubystreak; 01-24-2009 at 11:32 PM.
  #47  
Old 01-24-2009, 11:39 PM
Oslo Ostragoth Oslo Ostragoth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: the Prairie
Posts: 6,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadaji View Post
She wasn't hot at all in the Karate Kid III - mostly because she wasn't in it.

She was in The Next Karate Kid
At least I got it sort of right.
  #48  
Old 01-25-2009, 12:08 AM
dropzone dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 28,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubystreak View Post
I notice her face is mostly obscured in both those pictures.

Not hot.
I have seen many NSFW photos that. I understand, include her face. Bag over her head = SMOKIN'! Bag not over her head = SMOKIN', but with the chance to relate to her as a real, if ultra-attractive, person. She wins in both counts.

FTR, Oscar's vote shoudn't count.

Last edited by dropzone; 01-25-2009 at 12:09 AM.
  #49  
Old 01-25-2009, 12:14 AM
silk1976 silk1976 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Another thing. The red wire prank was funny.
I just wanna know where the writers keep getting these prank ideas from. Most of them are pretty good (but I still think the nickels in the phone trick was the best).
  #50  
Old 01-25-2009, 12:29 AM
Rubystreak Rubystreak is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South of Heaven
Posts: 9,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
I have seen many NSFW photos that. I understand, include her face. Bag over her head = SMOKIN'! Bag not over her head = SMOKIN', but with the chance to relate to her as a real, if ultra-attractive, person. She wins in both counts.

FTR, Oscar's vote shoudn't count.
Should mine not count either because I'm a straight woman?

You say smokin', I say butter face. Eh. Where's Michael to cast the deciding vote?
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017