Are there ever male babysitters?

I don’t have any kids myself; I am only going by observation and the depictions of pop culture, but I would venture to say that if anyone in America said “The babysitter is coming at 7” that person would fully expect to open the door to a female at 7. Is it because people expect females to have an innate maternal instinct to protect their children? Is it because people expect males to be uncontrollably horny and more likely to molest their children? What’s the deal?

I’m a guy and I did some babysitting when I was around 14 or so. Not babies, though, older kids, up to 10 years old, and always at my parents’ friends’ places. Other than that, I’d have to agree that babysitters are usually female. The money was good, though.

I remember when I was a kid my brothers and I were usually babysat by the university student son of a friend of my parents. He was actually really good too - we had great fun.

Funnily enough I would probably have never recalled this if not for the OP. I will now have to find out what became of Richard.

My husband used to babysit for a few people he knew.

I think it’s a combination of people thinking girls are “naturally” better at taking care of kids (they’re not - it’s a learned behavior) and yes, the fear men are more likely to molest.

I used to babysit my brothers and sisters friends (they’re both around 10 years younger than me) all the time when I was a teen.

Since the kids new me beforehand we usually had a blast and in addition, the money was quite good.

I think there is also a perception that teenage boys are less responsible and more likely to view an invitation to babysit as an opportunity to have a party.

I used to babysit for a friend’s daughter when I was a teenager too and I’m a boy. Probably helped the friend knew I was gay though in terms of alleviating molestation fears. :wink:

No, Illuminatiprimus. You are gay which means you are a horrible sexual deviant that would have sex with a fetus given the opportunity.

I babysat occasionally in high school, and I didn’t think it was terribly unusual. Really, it’s a pretty sweet gig. Of course, most of those jobs were my parents’ friends requesting me to babysit; I think girls are more likely to put up signs advertising their services to strangers (and strangers more likely to hire unknown girl babysitters than unknown boy babysitters).

I used to babysit for one of my parents’ friends when I was a teenager. I don’t remember their kids’ ages, but I think they were in the 5-10 range. Mostly my responsibility was to keep them from doing anything they shouldn’t, get them to bed on time, then watch tv until the parents came home. A few times I babysat on New Year’s Eve, and the kids were allowed to stay up late. And once the mom asked me to come over during the day and keep an eye on them while she went out shopping.

But I never advertised; this was more doing a favor. Although the extra money for books came in handy.

My brother used to babysit when he was a teenager. He had a few families that hired him regularly. We’ve hired a guy to babysit our oldest. He was the son of a friend, in his 20s (and a professional bicycle racer). He watched our kid for three days while my husband was at work and I was at the hospital with our youngest. My son LOVED him. They ran and moved and played non-stop.

I’m curious as to the time frame of most of these replies. I see a lot of “I used to…” and “My friend used to…” and I’m willing to bet they’re from before the 90s or so. I suspect that nowadays there are very few boy babysitters.

My “used to” is from the middle of the 90.s

But like I said, it was only my sibling’s friends, so I was pretty well vetted before I babysat.

When my brother babysat, that was early '80s. I hired a male babysitter about 2 years ago. I’d hire another male babysitter again, if I knew of someone who was willing. The guy we hired before is in Germany now, but if he ever gets to North Carolina, he’s got a job!

Nowadays it seems there are very few *minor *babysitters, of either gender. We’ve worked to increase our pay to a more believable wage, and so most people want a responsible adult for that. The average hourly rate for a babysitter in Chicago, published in the Chicago Tribune about four years ago, was $14. No one wants a pimply faced teenager for that. They want at *least *a college age person, if not one as old as their kids’ teachers, and by that age, guys (warning, gross generalization ahead!) seem to be more willing to work at Starbucks or Borders while they’re going to school, or they’re already on a career path. Babysitters now, by and large, are either in it as a career, as experience on their way to a career in group childcare, or are themselves parents looking to make some extra money (that last one would be me.)

Now, Chicago’s pretty high, as far as babysitter wages go, but even small towns start somewhere in the $5 range. The days of getting your friend’s teenager to come over for $2 an hour are gone…nowadays you’re more likely to hire your friend herself for $10 or use a babysitter finder service like Sittercity.

So the question becomes: why don’t more men seek a career in early childhood education or childcare? And molestation fears (on either side - parental/school fears of molestation and caregiver fears of being accused unjustly) certainly play a huge role in that.

I’m the first to bring up *Charles in Charge?*I’ve hired male babysitters for my kids.

I did some babysitting when I was 13 to 16, thereabouts. Families from our church, but also some neighborhood folks. Included actual babies up through elementary school. This was about 1983-1985. It helped that we had a infant --> toddler in our house, so I knew all about bottles, rocking to sleep, changing diapers, tantrums, etc. I was a pretty damn good babysitter.

When I was in my teens, I made a ton of money baby-sitting.

I’m a male. 48 years old and I still tell my friends I’ll watch their kids. I love kids.

I did quite a bit of babysitting during my high school years (late 80s). There was one family in particular whose two boys would beg their parents to go out so that I could come sit for them. The parents liked me because I was quiet, reliable, and I had the giant teddy bear build that was just intimidating enough to ensure the boys went to bed – and STAYED in bed – at the appointed time.

In my family, babysitting was considered “women’s work” and men who were interested in it were suspect or must have been unable or unwilling find a better paying, harder job regardless of age. I think this is a stupid way to look at it, but that’s the way my family thought about it. Most of my mom’s friends held the same belief, too, so that’s one possible reason (at least in my mom’s circle) that men were rarely asked to babysit.

I would absolutely hire a male babysitter, though. My son is ridiculously energetic and loves to roughhouse and feels as comfortable with men as with women. I don’t care what sex the person is. As long as they have decent judgment, my son is comfortable with them, they’re able to keep up with my son and willing to enforce my rules in an acceptable manner, I’ll be happy to pay them.