Largest multiple birth

I have a bet going with a friend. We are trying to figure out what is that largest number of children born alive at once. We are receiving conflicting information. The wiki page for multiple births states the following:

However, the list of multiple births they have states that a woman had 15 children.

The wiki cite references this page. It says the following?

I was saying that the use of the term “fetus” means they were not alive. She states that it’s ambiguous. What do you guys think?

Seems fairly clear to me that the fetuses did not survive extraction, especially considering the extreme prematurity.

From the wiki page on prem births:

The fifteen fetuses you reference were born at something like sixteen or seventeen weeks. It’s not possible any of them would have survived.

Is it even possible that any of them would even have drawn breath? I am pretty sure not–lungs are still pretty undeveloped at that stage.

It seems like* it was either a termination of the pregnancy or a selective reduction, aborting the majority of fetuses to give the remainder a shot at life. In that situation, I don’t think there would be a priority on making sure the fetuses survived the delivery - quite the opposite.

• I googled for more information and found someone referring to it as though the 15 were reduced to 2, but there were no sources listed and every other article I found just restated the same basic facts.

Well, if that’s true, than she was the same stage as WhyBaby, down to the day! 23 weeks and 6 days as normally counted. For what it’s worth, at the time (February of 2005), the numbers crunched for us were that at 23 weeks 0 days, 30% of babies delivered would survive, and of those that survived, 70% would NOT have significantly life-altering disabilities. At 25 weeks, 70% of babies would survive delivery and the same 70% of those would not have significantly life-altering disabilities. At 23 weeks and 6 days, the estimate given to us was 50%, but that was arrived at pretty much by averaging the two, not on charts of that actual gestational age.

ANYHOW, back to the OP: No, no way they survived. 23 weeks is the earliest an American hospital with a top level neo-natal intensive care unit will even attempt a live delivery, since the year 2005 at least. There’s no possible way for a 16 weeker, much less a very small, multiple 16 weeker, to survive, even with the best medical care possible, even today, and it was less so in 1971 when synthetic lung surfactant hadn’t been invented yet.

Thanks everybody for the replies.

Someone may lose on a technicality as one of the Texas octuplets deliverd 12 days earlier than the other seven.

So does that make them ‘born at once’? LOL

Behold! Live-born octuplets!