The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Old 02-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Your peanut butter: Now with nutritious rat excrement!

As if the salmonella contamination wasn't enough, we now learn that Peanut Corporation of America's Texas plant has been adding a heaping helping of shit, crap, and crud to all the products it's been churning out.
Quote:
The Texas Department of State Health Services on Thursday ordered the recall of all products ever shipped from the Peanut Corporation of America's plant in Plainview, Texas, after discovering dead rodents, rodent excrement and bird feathers in the plant.

The order, which applies to products shipped since the plant opened nearly four years ago, came a day after the discovery of filth in a crawl space above a production area during a health services inspection, the department said in a news release.

Inspectors also reported that the plant's ventilation system was pulling debris "from the infested crawl space into production areas of the plant resulting in the adulteration of exposed food products," the release said.
Excuse me for a moment while I retrieve my jaw from the floor, dust off the cat hair, and reinsert it.

"Adulteration of exposed food products" -- Ya think? Hey, but what's a little rat shit matter when there's profit to be made by blowing off money-wasting sissy fripperies like keeping the fucking plant clean? Who cares how filthy the product is, so long as it goes out the door and makes some moolah?

The rat bastards running PCA ought to be force-fed salmonella-infected rodent shit and bird feather souffle till their greedy guts explode and they strangle in a noose of their own putrid intestines.
Advertisements  
Old 02-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Creature of the Night

I read an article in the Dallas Morning News (deadtree version, but it's probably online as well) about how the prez of PCA did not eat any of his own recalled products when they were presented to him in public.

<trots into living room, retrieves A section> Ahhh, here it is. "Peanut plant's owner decried hassle of salmonella outbreak" is the headline. Subheadline (is that what it's called?) says "In e-mails, executive at center of congressional inquiry balked at costs". Interestingly, he kept sending out samples of the contaminated product to different labs until he got a negative report. A quick skim shows that he got at least two lab reports saying the batch was positive for salmonella. This ain't the DMV, where you keep taking tests until you pass, if you have a batch of contaminated product you're supposed to destroy it, not sell it.

So far, Stewart Parnell, the rat bastard in question, is declining to answer questions, "on advice of counsel". IOW, he's guilty and knows he's guilty.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:31 PM

He's refusing to testify before Congress.

How soon before he's arrested, I wonder?
Old 02-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Now on the label: "ALL NATURAL!!!"
Old 02-12-2009, 08:35 PM

Son of a bitch. And here I've been happily eating from my jar of peanut butter, purchased well before the salmonella outbreak, and now we get this.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Creature of the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
He's refusing to testify before Congress.

How soon before he's arrested, I wonder?
He's invoking the protections of the Constitution, I guess that means that he's taking the Fifth. The death toll so far: at least 600.

All this is from stuff I read in the DMN article.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:53 PM

The Chinese have the best method of dealing with this type of criminal. Do they still charge the family for the bullet used in the execution?
Old 02-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Bodoni View Post
This ain't the DMV, where you keep taking tests until you pass, if you have a batch of contaminated product you're supposed to destroy it, not sell it.
That would be the way places that are actually licensed to operate would do it.

Quote:
So far, Stewart Parnell, the rat bastard in question, is declining to answer questions, "on advice of counsel". IOW, he's guilty and knows he's guilty.
Well, I'm not on the jerk's side, mind you, but that is the standard advice of counsel, isn't it?
Old 02-12-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
He's invoking the protections of the Constitution, I guess that means that he's taking the Fifth. The death toll so far: at least 600.
Uh uh. That's the sick toll. The death toll, last I heard was around 9, I believe.

*Checks Google* Ah, yes there we go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP
The order regarding the plant, which operated unlicensed and uninspected for nearly four years, is the latest bad news for the company being investigated in connection with an outbreak that has sickened 600 people and may have caused at least nine deaths.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP
The order regarding the plant, which operated unlicensed and uninspected for nearly four years, is the latest bad news for the company being investigated in connection with an outbreak that has sickened 600 people and may have caused at least nine deaths.
In Libertarian land, this is what we'd have to look forward to. Inspections and licenses are just unwanted government intrusion, right?
Let the market sort it out! If the product is that bad, and it sickens or kills you, then just don't buy it!
Old 02-12-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyTeddyFreddy View Post
Peanut Corporation of America's Texas plant has been adding a heaping helping of shit, crap, and crud to all the products it's been churning out.
Isn't all that in the label, after monosodium glutamate?
Old 02-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

I really don't understand the logic here - keep sending out product that you know is contaminated with a serious pathogen to save money? Do you suppose the decision-making person involved in this thought it wouldn't cost them MORE money to sicken and kill people and have all their products recalled and be involved in a lifetiime of lawsuits? My God, that is some short-sighted thinking (never mind that as a food manufacturer, ideally you'd care about not killing people who eat your product).
Old 02-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Cover him with his own peanut butter and set him loose on the shores of Kodiak Island.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Creature of the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Eyed Girl View Post
Uh uh. That's the sick toll. The death toll, last I heard was around 9, I believe.

*Checks Google* Ah, yes there we go.
*rechecks paper* Yeah, you're right, I was skimming too quickly. I still say he's a rat bastard who should be punished by solitary confinement, and given water and only his own damn peanut products to eat and drink.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
*rechecks paper* Yeah, you're right, I was skimming too quickly. I still say he's a rat bastard who should be punished by solitary confinement, and given water and only his own damn peanut products to eat and drink.
I won't argue with that.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale View Post
Isn't all that in the label, after monosodium glutamate?
I want a large red label that says, "Rat Shit!"
Old 02-12-2009, 10:43 PM

That should read:

RAT SHIT

* May contain peanuts.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:43 PM
BANNED

It is only the most common food eaten by kids. But, we can trust companies to regulate themselves. After this, for a while ,peanut butter producers will get real careful . To some that will prove that capitalism works. Kill a few,get a few hundred sick but then things will clean up. But they do not stay that way. They slowly get lax again . then rinse and repeat. We need to check our food supply.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:11 PM

Reminds me of the Robert Klein bit on the FDA.

From memory,

"The FDA has an acceptable number of rodent hairs that can be found in peanut butter. I'm a funny kind of guy. For me, there is no acceptable number of rodent hairs in peanut butter. One is too many. Other people, twenty, a hundred, they don't care."
Old 02-12-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerfan View Post
I want a large red label that says, "Rat Shit!"
But they can't do that! Sales would plummet!
Old 02-12-2009, 11:32 PM

It was too foul for the Texas Health Services? Oh, my.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:29 AM

but they ALLOW feces/hair/stuff in your food

Too lazy to find an updated reference, but here's from a 2001 FDA page:

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/dalbook.html

from the peanuts section:

SIGNIFICANCE: Aesthetic, Potential health hazard - may contain mycotoxin producing fungi

...maybe I want to take 'catsup' off my grocery list as well.

this is also why I have a hard and fast rule about not eating seafood.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
But they can't do that! Sales would plummet!
Fuck their sales!
Old 02-13-2009, 05:06 AM

Rat shit and salmonella in the peanut butter, huh?

Shorter PCA: Eat shit and die!
Old 02-13-2009, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWDuke View Post
That should read:

RAT SHIT

* May contain peanuts.
To the tune of "I feel pretty":

I smell rat shit, oh yes rat shit,
it's not cat shit, it's rat shit for sure,
It's not bat shit, and it certainly isn't horse manure.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerfan View Post
Fuck their sales!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy6uLfermPU
Old 02-13-2009, 08:05 AM

I think rat shit is listed as part of the fiber content.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Reminds me of the Robert Klein bit on the FDA.

From memory,

"The FDA has an acceptable number of rodent hairs that can be found in peanut butter. I'm a funny kind of guy. For me, there is no acceptable number of rodent hairs in peanut butter. One is too many. Other people, twenty, a hundred, they don't care."
From what I understand -- and I may well be wrong -- there's just no way to reduce contaminants to zero. Food manufacture attracts pests, period. It's been true ever since Og opened his first frozen mammoth bars factory back in 50,000BC. And the occasional rat fang or termite butt won't kill you -- our species wouldn't have survived this long if that were the case. So the FDA sets a maximum tolerance for contaminants, and it has worked out pretty well for us so far.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:33 AM

I'm suddenly glad I don't eat peanut butter.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
During the questioning, he was asked to eat some of his own peanut butter. He refused.

It's just a shame peanut butter is too thick to push through an IV tube.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdn View Post
From what I understand -- and I may well be wrong -- there's just no way to reduce contaminants to zero. Food manufacture attracts pests, period. It's been true ever since Og opened his first frozen mammoth bars factory back in 50,000BC. And the occasional rat fang or termite butt won't kill you -- our species wouldn't have survived this long if that were the case. So the FDA sets a maximum tolerance for contaminants, and it has worked out pretty well for us so far.
If you play your cards right, you can get people to pay extra for the finest termite butts.

("Termite butt" is now the phrase of the day. Thank you for your fine contribution to my amusement today.)
Old 02-13-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
I'll bet it would push just fine through a 2" 6" pipe shoved into an appropriate orifice.

Last edited by Projammer; 02-13-2009 at 10:01 AM..
Old 02-13-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyTeddyFreddy View Post
As if the salmonella contamination wasn't enough, we now learn that Peanut Corporation of America's Texas plant has been adding a heaping helping of shit, crap, and crud to all the products it's been churning out.
Untrue. It was a heaping helping before downsizing, but now the packages are smaller and you get less shit, crap and crud for your money.

Get perspective, people. Read The Jungle. At least PCA doesn't have employees falling into the vats and going out into the world as jars of Extra Crunchy People Butter.

That we know about.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:05 AM

"I'll take the rat tart, if there's not too much rat in it."
Old 02-13-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Untrue. It was a heaping helping before downsizing, but now the packages are smaller and you get less shit, crap and crud for your money.

Get perspective, people. Read The Jungle. At least PCA doesn't have employees falling into the vats and going out into the world as jars of Extra Crunchy People Butter.

That we know about.
Maybe that's why Parnell wouldn't partake in his own goodies...

You know, there's a theory that that kind of "recycling" is a unique solution to overpopulation and the rising cost of food.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Eyed Girl View Post
Maybe that's why Parnell wouldn't partake in his own goodies...

You know, there's a theory that that kind of "recycling" is a unique solution to overpopulation and the rising cost of food.
Not very unique...you had at least one London piemaker get the idea way back in the 19th Century...
Old 02-13-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
In Libertarian land, this is what we'd have to look forward to. Inspections and licenses are just unwanted government intrusion, right?
Let the market sort it out! If the product is that bad, and it sickens or kills you, then just don't buy it!
Dumb fucking idiot. Not only are you completely wronjg about libertarian theory, but you're treating reality as though it were a hypothetical. You grumble about what could possibly happen in Libertarian land while you're looking at the ACTUAL FUCKING EVENT in America land.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:04 AM

On the plus side, I bet Soylent Green tastes great with peanut butter!
Old 02-13-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
Not if you heat it up to boiling first.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:09 AM

Found a peanut, found a peanut, found a peanut just now...
Old 02-13-2009, 11:32 AM

Well, now we know the very definition of "rat bastard."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosstone View Post
Son of a bitch. And here I've been happily eating from my jar of peanut butter, purchased well before the salmonella outbreak, and now we get this.
Actually, jarred peanut butter is safe-it's pre-packaged stuff, like peanut butter crackers that you have to worry about.

Any one got a list of the types of products? (I tried looking, but the lists are so long and specific, and most of them are PDFs) I think peanut butter cups, and some ice cream with peanut butter swirls are affected.

Last edited by Guinastasia; 02-13-2009 at 11:34 AM..
Old 02-13-2009, 11:49 AM
BANNED

5 dead and over 450 sick. Not a big deal when you consider the size of the population. Profits did very well with lax or no regulation. It is a wash.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus, Incus, Stapes! View Post
I'm suddenly glad I don't eat peanut butter.
Do you like chocolate?
Old 02-13-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberal View Post
Dumb fucking idiot. Not only are you completely wronjg about libertarian theory, but you're treating reality as though it were a hypothetical. You grumble about what could possibly happen in Libertarian land while you're looking at the ACTUAL FUCKING EVENT in America land.
Yes, an ACTUAL FUCKING EVENT where a lack of government regulation and supervision led to a greedy stupid businessman putting out a substandard product. A product that led to sickness and death. An actual fucking event that gives us a tiny bit of insight into what things would look like in the absence of government regulation and supervision.

But then I guess I know squat about Libertarian theory.

I believe a Libertarian would think that's all fine, since the owner was free to make this choice for himself, and he will have to accept responsibility for the consequences of the choice he made. Likewise, the consumers will just have to accept the responsibility for not checking into the quality of the food they bought, and will have to accept the consequences for this choice.

Likewise, would not a Libertarian say that a free and competitive market allocates resources in the most efficient manner? It's certainly not efficient to poison your customers. (Unless you're a greedy, stupid sociopath) Each person has the right to offer goods and services to others on the free market. The only proper role of government in the economic realm is to protect property rights, adjudicate disputes, and provide a legal framework in which voluntary trade is protected.

Protect voluntary trade - no regulating, no supervising, no government interference with trade.
Adjudicate disputes - so the victims can now be compensated for their deaths.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Well, now we know the very definition of "rat bastard."

Actually, jarred peanut butter is safe-it's pre-packaged stuff, like peanut butter crackers that you have to worry about.

Any one got a list of the types of products? (I tried looking, but the lists are so long and specific, and most of them are PDFs) I think peanut butter cups, and some ice cream with peanut butter swirls are affected.
STOP TALKING OUT OF IGNORANCE

If you care to read more current reports, like ones published this week or last, you will find that indeed, some jarred peanut butter has been recalled. Among the types recalled are the ones packaged for dollar stores that are marked on the label for sale for 99 cents. Consumer reports other boutique jarred peanut butter might not be safe. While some types of peanut butter cups that made their way into ice cream and other peanut butter flavored ice cream has been recalled, some peanut butter cups are not only not recalled, but positively not in the affected products.
Quote:
The Hershey Company Reaffirms that it Does Not Purchase Peanut Butter, Peanuts or Peanut Products from Peanut Corporation of America All Hershey and Reese's candies are safe to consume.
REESES PEANUTBUTTER CUPS ARE SAFE!

Consumer Reports blog from last week has more links, some to other brands declaring their product's safety, and others to the FDA website and database of recalled products.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
So you're cool with the rat shit then?

This isn't 1900. It's 2009. We should expect better.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
You grumble about what could possibly happen in Libertarian land while you're looking at the ACTUAL FUCKING EVENT in America land.
Of course, and the solution to inadequate regulation is obviously no regulation at all. Clear as Jif.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron star
So you're cool with the rat shit then?
I'm not just cool with the rat shit, I'm down with the rodent hairs, and the feathers are the wind beneath my wings.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Likewise, would not a Libertarian say that a free and competitive market allocates resources in the most efficient manner?
No, that's what an anarchocapitalist would say. A libertarian would say that there should be strict regulations against coercive force and deception, which includes representing your products as safe for consumption when in fact they are not.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Likewise, would not a Libertarian say that a free and competitive market allocates resources in the most efficient manner?
Quote:
No, that's what an anarchocapitalist would say. A libertarian would say that there should be strict regulations against coercive force and deception, which includes representing your products as safe for consumption when in fact they are not.
Sorry. I feel so stupid now.

Perhaps you could ask the Libertarian Party to Change the wording on their webpage:

Quote:
2.0 Economic Liberty

A free and competitive market allocates resources in the most efficient manner. Each person has the right to offer goods and services to others on the free market. The only proper role of government in the economic realm is to protect property rights, adjudicate disputes, and provide a legal framework in which voluntary trade is protected. All efforts by government to redistribute wealth, or to control or manage trade, are improper in a free society.
(bolding mine)
Old 02-13-2009, 02:37 PM

They filed for bankruptcy protection.

And as if we didn't have enough to worry about...now you have to worry about dog treats.

List of recalled products from the FDA.