The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 02-13-2009, 05:32 PM

Do you feel young, old, or middle-aged?

Please note that I'm not asking your phsyical or chronological age, but rather how you feel now. You can define now as you wish: that is, it can be the very moment you answer the question, or it can be how you feel in general. If you wish to explain why you can; if it's too much trouble, or too intrusive, that's fine too.

Answering my question: generally I feel young; I have since I met Kim the Rhymer. Today, though the combination of her and my stepdaughter and my nieces discussing someone named Rihana makes me feel very old.

Anybody else?
Advertisements  
Old 02-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Young. I'm constantly amazed that the 22-year-old actress who's playing a Real Adult Woman on TV is not, in fact, older than I am, because God knows, I am not a Real Adult Woman.

My mother, who just turned 72, still thinks of herself as young as well, so I'm guessing this feeling is not going to go away.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:51 PM

Some days I feel young and some days I feel old but that doesn't change the fact that on all the days......I am old. The numbers are there. I may be jumping the gun but I look at my dogs and wonder what they're going to do when I'm gone. I just turned 60 and sometimes ask if this is a rational way of thinking. The dogs have no opinion on this.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:53 PM

I feel ancient.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:54 PM

I'll be 40 in August. I feel young. I can hardly believe I'm allowed to own a house.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:54 PM

I'm 81 but I still feel like 35. Physically, that's another matter.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skald the Rhymer View Post
Please note that I'm not asking your phsyical or chronological age, but rather how you feel now. You can define now as you wish: that is, it can be the very moment you answer the question, or it can be how you feel in general. If you wish to explain why you can; if it's too much trouble, or too intrusive, that's fine too.

Answering my question: generally I feel young; I have since I met Kim the Rhymer. Today, though the combination of her and my stepdaughter and my nieces discussing someone named Rihana makes me feel very old.

Anybody else?
I'm 55 and I feel middle-aged.
This is because:

- I am semi-retired
- I know who Rihanna is
Old 02-13-2009, 06:19 PM

I'm a 29 y/o brat*. I do however sometimes feel the need to grow up and get serious.

Then I have another beer.

*Brat defined here as an unresponsible, hardpartying, seize the day-kinda, young guy
Old 02-13-2009, 06:24 PM

I'm 49 and I feel middle aged but I'm not at all unhappy about it. I got to retire early, I'm active and in good shape and I have no health problems, so this is a whole lot better than I ever imagined it would be.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Well, my heart says "Go for it" and my body says "Just a damn minute, now." So, I guess I feel young but at the same time, old enough to know better.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:01 PM

Generally young. Still in school, go dancing in clubs, get hit on by the 18-25 demographic. Coworkers who are young use inclusive pronouns when talking with me about generational things.

I feel old, though, when I bring up things that happened when I was a teenager or younger. Schoolmates, coworkers, and dates will all invariably squeal with delight and let me know how old they were at that time, if they were even born then. I felt a little old the first time I dated someone born in the 1980s; I felt really old when I found out the girl who asked me out last week was 2 when I was to graduate high school.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:06 PM

It depends on what I'm doing when you ask. If I'm blushing because a cute guy is flirting with me or I'm singing out loud with my radio while driving, I feel young. If I'm groaning because I have to bend over to pick something up, or I'm frustrated because I don't know what's wrong my with my computer, I feel old. I'm 40.

Last edited by Alice The Goon; 02-13-2009 at 07:07 PM..
Old 02-13-2009, 07:07 PM

I'm 37. I feel really old and really tired.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

I feel like I present a middle aged image to others, but what they don't know is that there is a young kid inside...(my wife does know this)

And I am "older" - 65 and loving it!
Old 02-13-2009, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

I feel misplaced.

I'm 39, and am very aware of getting older, mostly because my body is beginning to fail. But I don't feel as old as 39 used to seem.

I am not expecting a long life, if my immediately preceding ancestors are anything to go by. So technically, I don't think numerically I'm "middle" aged. I'm long past the middle.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
But I don't feel as old as 39 used to seem.
It never does, and that's a good thing. I used to see 50 as being a senior citizen but at 49 I have all of the energy to do anything that I want to. I don't feel in the least bit old.

Reading some of the threads from younger people looking for advice makes me feel like I'm from a different generation but that's OK with me too. I'm glad to have all of that uncertainty, confusion and drama behind me and be just cruising in happily content.

Last edited by Karyn; 02-13-2009 at 07:51 PM..
Old 02-13-2009, 08:04 PM

I died when I was 15 years old, although it took me a fairly long time to notice. That was many years ago. I'm still 15 years old.

Thanks to a rare natural preservation effect known as saponification, the tissues of my corpse were largely converted into a greasy soaplike material called adipocere or "grave wax," thus retaining a somewhat lifelike appearance. At my current progressive rate of decay, I anticipate that my carcass will finally decompose into total immobility in 20 or 25 years. When that happens, I will still be 15 years old.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrifel View Post
I died when I was 15 years old, although it took me a fairly long time to notice. That was many years ago. I'm still 15 years old.

Thanks to a rare natural preservation effect known as saponification, the tissues of my corpse were largely converted into a greasy soaplike material called adipocere or "grave wax," thus retaining a somewhat lifelike appearance. At my current progressive rate of decay, I anticipate that my carcass will finally decompose into total immobility in 20 or 25 years. When that happens, I will still be 15 years old.

Are you, by chance, Melanie Griffith?
Old 02-13-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice The Goon View Post
Are you, by chance, Melanie Griffith?
She's married to Antonio Banderas isn't she? So to my knowledge, no I am not her.

As it happens that knee does look strangely familiar though. By a curious coincidence, this morning the carcass-flesh around my right knee was bloated with the filthy gasses of decomposition. I went to the doctor and she said it was bursitis.

But then I went home and looked it up, and apparently bursitis is something that only happens to living people. So somebody's giving me bad information here.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:52 PM

Chronologically I'm 43; some days I feel 22, some days I feel 82.

How old I feel involves various circumstances and their percentages; what kind of mood(s) my wife and, more importantly, my kid, are in, also how much caffeine I've ingested, the sucesses and failures of my day-to-day endeavours, and how many assholes I encounter out in the world.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:42 PM

I've felt old for as long as I can remember. I've lived a life that has required me to acquire a large amount of wisdom very quickly. Woo-woo people I meet have always told me I have an ''old soul'' -- even when I was like 9. It's like I've spent my whole life waiting to reach the age that I feel. I am 26. As Mr. Brooks would say, I'm much too young to feel this damn old.

Last edited by Spice Weasel; 02-13-2009 at 10:45 PM..
Old 02-13-2009, 10:50 PM

Two weeks from today I turn 50, and I have never felt better, physically or emotionally. I am (falling) in love, I am eating better than ever and it's finally showing. Life is good, regardless of what the calendar says.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:04 PM

I feel tired, exhausted, and worked to the bone, but I feel I've gained experience over the years, and learned a bit of wisdom.
So I'd say I'm Middle Aged.

I'm 23.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:04 AM

I am 63. I am capable of feeling anywhere from 5 to 80. Take your pick.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:11 AM

As I approached my most recent birthday, I was feeling very old. It was my 30th. Now that my birthday has passed, I am feeling like my young self again.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:20 AM

I feel very old: at least middle aged, although I just started my second semester in college. I work, go home, watch HGTV with the future missus then we go asleep then do it all again the next day.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:36 AM

26, feeling old enough to fart dust
Old 02-14-2009, 02:44 AM

Sometimes I feel like I'm 25, sometimes 30. And I wish I didn't, because I'm old enough to be my own father.

On the other hand, turning 40 was one of the best things that happened to me. I found a lot of confidence in myself that I didn't have when younger, and I just don't give a damn about stupid things that I used to.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

I'm 45. I'm sick, all the time, lonely, & my career is at a dead-end.

I feel old.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

KlondikeGeoff out does me. I will wait.

That being said, he will probably bury me.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:50 AM

Right now, middle-aged I guess. Sometimes I feel old, rarely do I feel young again. I often wonder if I'll ever meet a woman who makes me feel all aglow like I did in my youth again. That would be nice.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:42 AM

Most of the time, I still think I'm 17 and could piss over the hood of a truck, but the reality is that I turn 46 in 10 days and couldn't piss over a hubcap.

I feel young, but I know I'm old. Not a bad place to be, though, really.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
I'm 81 but I still feel like 35. Physically, that's another matter.
I'm with you Klondike. Though in real years I'm 48.

I had shoulder surgery recently and while talking to my (incredibly cute) physical theripist, I felt like I was her age. It's hard to explain. We had a lot in common, she and my Wife are both IronMen. She and I both where born in Chicago.

In talking about what we have in common we talked about schools. I talked about being at CU Boulder in 1979 perhaps we have met before? She went to CU too. In 1999. Opps. I really wasn't thinking.

I kind of felt bad. I'm really bad at judging age sometimes. And athletes age can be real hard to judge. A 50 year old can look 30 and visa-versa. And frankly, I just don't think about age that much.

I have neices and nephews that are in their early 20's and we get along like friends. Buddies, pals. Tell me anything. It still feels weird to be called uncle.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlotta View Post
I'll be 40 in August. I feel young. I can hardly believe I'm allowed to own a house.
That's exactly how I feel (turned 40 last August).
Old 02-14-2009, 10:24 AM
BANNED

I am 65 and play about 10 hours of racquetball a week and walk my dogs everyday, at least 2 miles. I feel good. I don't feel tired or weak. I have plenty of energy. My wife is 55. She does no exercise at all ,and is tired and grouchy.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:57 AM

Mostly I think I'm eighteen . . . but these last few months have been stressful enough that I feel 45 right now. (26, for the record)
Old 02-14-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
KlondikeGeoff out does me. I will wait.

That being said, he will probably bury me.
Well, Cicero, me lad, if I do I will at least wait until your dead. Now, feel better?

Last edited by KlondikeGeoff; 02-14-2009 at 03:51 PM..
Old 02-14-2009, 04:29 PM

I'm 41. But I feel pretty young. Mostly.

Stuff that makes me feel young:
- My partner is 8 years younger and my friends tend to be younger too. Sharing their interests, musical tastes, etc., helps me from turning into an old fogey.
- I have a 14 month old kid. This seems like a young person sort of thing. Being pregnant made me feel like my body was still fresh and fertile -- not old and decaying.
- I love learning/experiencing new stuff. I think this gives me a younger, more flexible way of looking at the world.

Stuff that makes me feel old:
- Looking in the mirror after being up four times during the night with a sick kid.
- Hoping that my knees will hold up when getting up off the floor with said kid in my arms.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Young. And I'm 56.

I trying to think of anything that makes me feel old, but, other than aches and pains, nothing comes to mind. I'm reminded of a local author who wrote a book entitled "The Girls with the Grandmother Faces," about how all her friends still thought they were "girls" even though they were grandmothers and had aged. I'm the same way.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:39 PM

Just turned 79 last week. But most of the time feel about 40 years younger. Never sick (knock on wood) and the last time I went to the doctor for a meaningful procedure was 40 years ago. Do fairly vigorous excercises 5 times a week, and watch the diet (somewhat). And luckily my wife is about the same - our medical expenses are practically nil. Luckily both sides of both our families tend to live almost forever.

Only problems - sex drive is OK, but sex is a little harder (understatement). And one of my knees fusses at me once in a while. Stupid knee! And I do appreciate a good midday nap.

All in all, don't have very much to complain about. Actually, I'm probably enjoying myself more now than ever. There never seems enough time in the day to do all that I want to do.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:54 PM

Good for all of us. I’m 48. My 48yo Wife just completed a 140 mile IronMan race in Sept.

Just discovered KT Tunstall for some new music. 'Eye to the telescope' Great album.

And about 10 minutes ago I downloaded Santana Abraxas. One of the very first albums I purchased some 38 or years ago when we REALLY knew how to rock. I am now listening to it from my BlackBerry through Bluetooth.

The hell with get off my lawn…… Get off my cloud.

And to those that are pushing 60, 70 and 80. The younger crowd has nothing on you when it comes to music and adventure.

Nothing at all.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daylate View Post
Only problems - sex drive is OK, but sex is a little harder
Or softer?
Old 02-14-2009, 09:47 PM

Tonight, middle-aged, with all the dreary connotations.

I am looking forward to old and ornery.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:05 PM

Physically - middle-aged or old - depending on the day.
Financially and socially - middle-aged.
Mentally young, but with a bit more experience thrown in.

Identity issues are growing!
Old 02-15-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Or softer?
Good point.

BTW, there are several real advantages to getting ancient.

1. You can get away with being ocasionally crochety.

2. If you don't want to learn someting new, you don't have to do it. Like using trak balls instead of a mouse.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daylate View Post
Like using trak balls instead of a mouse.
I had to break down and do it thanks to having to use the world's most mouse-happy software for a while because it was killing my wrist to have to be constantly moving it around the screen. Now I like having a mouse that frustrates my partner so he quits trying to drive while leaning over my shoulder. I can do it faster no matter what kind of mouse I have.

Last edited by Karyn; 02-15-2009 at 12:16 PM..