[T-shirt Design] Ed, please answer this question.

Ed

I personally would spend cold hard cash, American Dollars, for a nice Straight Dope T Shirt. With the mast head and ‘it’s taking longer than we thought’ on the front, and ‘Cite’ on the back. Decent quality, available in both men’s and women’s sizes, maybe a choice of 3 colours. (Please, none of that illustrator’s drawings.)

Earns you hard cash, spread’s the word in a very underground kind of way, and, maybe gets people talking. Maybe you’d even see one on a celeb or in a current popular sit com. All this seems so obvious and so easy it strikes me as low hanging fruit, easy pickings.

Whenever this comes up, and it has many times, there are dozens of ‘Yeah, I’d buy a few of those!’ posts.

So please share with us what the resistance to this revenue stream is, cause we don’t see a downside. Every time you mention finding new sources of revenue someone mentions it and it seems to be then roundly ignored.

I truly believe your membership would love this. I mean, it’s so easy rock bands and bars exploit it, why not the Straight Dope?

I’m not aware of any rock bands or bars that let their patrons dictate what their T-shirts will look like. I like Slug’s illustrations; can I insist there be two T-shirts, so everybody is happy?

I second that emotion. Especially the part about leaving out Sig’s schoolboy scrawls.

How about several designs? And I wear more sweatshirts than T-shirts.

I like the OP’s idea. I would buy one as well (3X, please).

There’s already a Slug shirt – have you bought one? – so I’m assuming this would be “in addition to” and not “instead of.”

Another vote – again, as cast every time this comes up – for a Slug-free T-shirt.

Yeah, but it doesn’t say “Hi Opal!” on the back; wouldn’t that be cool?

Me too!
2XLT (tall)

Me three! 3XLT

Me four – 100% cotton, please; none of this 50/50 crap.

No.

For One thing we are talking about a SD shirt. Not a SDMB shirt. So anything like “cite?” or [shudder] “Hi Opal!” wouldn’t work. From the stats that Ed quoted there are more unique hits brought in by the SD than the SDMB. That is the market you want to tap. Maybe if there were 3-4 designs one could be a SDMB shirt.

I would also say that I would buy a non-Slug shirt.

Well… I won’t promise I would buy one, but I can guarantee I will never buy the current design.

Okay,

Second question, since no one has answered the question, and I didn’t see anyone ask anywhere up thread, how come the title of my thread now says (T-shirt design)?

I don’t object or anything, and I see now I should have included it in the title.

It just strikes me as odd that the title was changed but no answer was offered.

Perhaps because a mod other than Ed saw it? (i.e., able to fix the thread title, unable to answer.)

Hey, I have a Slug shirt, and I like it.

I agree a choice of designs and colors though would be interesting.

I changed it to make the title more specific, but I really can’t say yay or nay to your idea because I don’t make merchandising decisions for the Straight Dope. The only person who can supply an official answer is Ed, so your title had that right.

No. That would most definitely NOT be cool.

1. No one would get it.

2. Why highlight one of the SDMBs more pathetic posters?

1. The only people who need to get it are the ones who are wearing the shirt, and

2. That was way harsh.

<MODERATOR WARNING>

Seven, you were over the line there. Way over.

From the Rules FAQ:

If you must, take it to the Pit.

</MW>

I can’t speak for the PTB, of course, but generally the answer to “Why don’t they…?” is “money”. My guess is there weren’t enough people buying the existing shirts to justify new ones.

That seems stupid, when dozens of us have made it clear that we’re not buying the existing ones because they’re godawful ugly, but that we would buy a Slug-free design.