The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The Game Room

Old 03-29-2009, 10:41 PM

Is there a Medieval role-playing-game that does NOT have any fantasy elements?

I would really like to play a Medieval role playing game for PC. The problem is, I'm not sure if any such game exists. There are many "swords and armor" type RPGs, but they all have some kind of fantasy element - wizards, dragons, elves, orcs, whatever. I have NO interest in any of that. I just wonder if there is a roleplaying game for PC where you play the role of a Medieval knight, upgrading your weapons and armor and killing a lot of bad guys, with no "fantasy" content. It doesn't even need to be historically accurate.

Does any such game exist?
Advertisements  
Old 03-29-2009, 11:08 PM

There aren't a whole lot, but Mount and Blade comes to mind.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:25 PM

Yeah, I have that; it's fun for a while, but repetitive as hell, and has NO coherent plot or story.

I wonder why nobody can be bothered to make a realistic Medieval RPG?
Old 03-30-2009, 01:10 AM

Because your character would die?
Old 03-30-2009, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chitwood View Post
Because your character would die?
...ingloriously from tuberculosis?
Old 03-30-2009, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers View Post
Yeah, I have that; it's fun for a while, but repetitive as hell, and has NO coherent plot or story.

Hard to see how a single individual would cope with no special powers.
He's got to travel on his own, despite wild animals, bandits and feuding kingdoms.
He's got to earn the trust of the locals to get income.
He's got to cope with disease and maintaining his equipment.

Then what sort of adventures can he have, dealing only with organised human communities?

Last edited by glee; 03-30-2009 at 06:27 AM..
Old 03-30-2009, 06:27 AM

Darklands is along those lines but there are some fantasy elements that creep in. It's very tightly focused on thirteenth century Germany. The major fantasy elements are that there is satanic power in the world, the Catholic church has real power to do something about it, and alchemy actually functions.

There's no reason that "your character would die" in such a setting; it just requires a different set of expectations in the design.

Last edited by Just Some Guy; 03-30-2009 at 06:28 AM..
Old 03-30-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee View Post
Then what sort of adventures can he have, dealing only with organised human communities?
Well, you know, things did happen in the real middle ages, even without elves.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee View Post
Hard to see how a single individual would cope with no special powers.
He's got to travel on his own, despite wild animals, bandits and feuding kingdoms.
He's got to earn the trust of the locals to get income.
He's got to cope with disease and maintaining his equipment.

Well, Mount&Blade pulled it off just fine, including all the elements you just described. (You're completely alone at first, but you can build up gigantic raiding parties of more than 100 men, including "heroes" with specialized skills.) And that game had no fantasy whatsoever. So it CAN be done. The problem is that Mount&Blade had no coherent story whatsoever, and one-dimensional characters.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:52 AM

There's Avalon Hill's Kingmaker, although that's only a role-playing game in the sense of "if I were the leader of the House of Lancaster, how would I win the Wars of the Roses?"

Great game, though. Wiki link. There was also a computer version, but I'm afraid it's abandonware now.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:55 AM

Hmm, I don't think I know a computer RPG that would be strictly medieval, but I do know metric fucktons of pen & paper historical RPGs (Pendragon was nice. It did feature some Arthurian folklore, but you could totally ignore it and have a perfect Dark Age historical campaign).

There's Assassin's Creed, which is not an RPG, but is a visually stunning representation of the high middle ages. Oh, and features lots of stabbin'.

And of course, there's a lot of strategy games, like Medieval Total War, Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis or Lords of the Realm (if you're not put off by VGA graphics and messing around with DOS, check out the first Lord of the Realms. Brilliant, brilliant game.)
Old 03-30-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Realistic?

"It has been three days since the Baron's men took the last of your shriveled turnips. You are hungry.

The Abbot says you must work in his fields again today. On Saturday you can work your own plot, if you can borrow a digging stick.

You still owe 340 shillings (or equivalent in barter or labor) in taxation.

Your buboes have swelled."
Old 03-30-2009, 12:00 PM

You can make it Realistic, OR lacking in Fantasy Elements, OR not at all Medieval. Pick two.

Other posters have mentioned why. It really doesn't matter is you pretend your character (with 250 hit points, Grandmaster swordsman, and the Masterwork Plate Armor of Grand Smith Bartley) is mundane . He's not.

When you can take 30 arrrows to the chest and kill a dozen men (and the enemy always has hordes waiting to be killed off) you've tossed reality out the window. Mount and Blade is still grossly implausible, just in a different way.

Which is why they have fantasy elements. Why not appeal to a larger audience and open up the gameplay?
Old 03-30-2009, 12:18 PM

There was one I played some time ago that I put aside for being way too boring. It was all about the knights and as I recall it really tried to teach you history and be accurate. I don't recall there being any magic...lemme see if I can find it.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:24 PM

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!!!

(I know. Sorry. A pox on myself)
Old 03-30-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
Realistic?

"It has been three days since the Baron's men took the last of your shriveled turnips. You are hungry.

The Abbot says you must work in his fields again today. On Saturday you can work your own plot, if you can borrow a digging stick.

Heh. Or the other way around :

"Marvin claims Borgo has stolen one of his pigs. However, Borgo claims he only did it because Marvin put a curse on his leeks. What will your judgement be, m'lord ?

Your bethroted, Azinga of Berchtesgaden, has just arrived at the castle's gates. She does not speak a word of English, and looks like a cross between a dog and a giraffe. May you live happily ever after.

The wound you have suffered during the last turney has started oozing and festering. -1 Charisma.

The castle's last cat has been roasted. Your belt is starting to look very tasty. The siege continues."
Old 03-30-2009, 01:35 PM

Lol!

I don't know about you, but I think I would enjoy playing that game!
Old 03-30-2009, 02:22 PM

I think I found it! It was Arthur's Knights - Tales of Chivalry. The magic and stuff is limited to what people believed in those days. I don't remember much about it but I got really bored midway through.

Quote:
Though Arthur's Knights: Tales of Chivalry boasts that the keyboard controls allow for more exactitude in maneuvering, the controls can often pose tiresome problems instead of advantages. The precision necessary to gain entrance to parts of the game can sometimes prove hard to achieve and thus takes a bothersome amount of time. The game also is strictly non-action: the player never actively partakes in battles. When a fight is initiated with a given enemy, the game goes into autoplay and will show Bradwen winning or losing depending on whether or not he possesses the necessary implements for a victory. The gameplay also proceeds in a highly direct, RPG manner. Run one errand, and have access to another. On the other hand, Arthur's Knights has beautifully-rendered graphics and highly realistic sounds. Traveling through a forest, one may hear an assortment of sounds including running water, the laughter of fairies, birds chirping, and animals growling. However, it becomes very disgruntling when the magificently-detailed environments cannot be fully interacted with and explored due to the large amount of interphase blocking in the game. Nonetheless, the plot of the game is, on average, sufficiently inriguing to keep one playing.
Personally I hated it, but I play games for that element of magic and other-worldliness. You may like it better.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:25 PM

Here's another:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/joanofarc/index.html

It's base don Joan of Arc. I remember playing a demo a long time ago and I don't recall any magic being involved.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinthalis View Post
Here's another:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/joanofarc/index.html

It's base don Joan of Arc. I remember playing a demo a long time ago and I don't recall any magic being involved.
From the screenshots, it looks more like a Dynasty Warriors-like beat'em all than an RPG though.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:13 PM

Heck, if it was paper and pencil RPGing you wanted, there'd be no reason not to use D&D - just run an absolutely magic-free campaign with no fantastic creatures. There wouldn't be much point playing anything but a fighter, a thief or maybe a modified bard (monks just have too many fantastic elements built into them). Or if you wanted a more realistic simulation, try the RuneQuest system with no magic, and be prepared for your first fight to end in maiming 'cos those location-based combat systems generally end in the loss of an extremity or a killing body blow if you don't have magical healing to hand.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Not an RPG, but maybe still of interest to you: Crusader Kings by Paradox Interactive. You play a feudal lord over a domain in medieval Europe. It's a mostly strategy game, but characters do have personal attributes. You can play it to strictly optimize your realm, but I had fun role-playing it instead. You have courtiers and relatives and heirs to deal with, plus your neighbors, liege, and vassals to interactive with. It should be pretty cheap to buy now.

As for a more traditional RPG, you might look into mods to Oblivion. That game is highly customizable. It quite possible someone has developed a no-magic mod.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
Realistic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Heh. Or the other way around :

"Marvin claims Borgo has stolen one of his pigs. However, Borgo claims he only did it because Marvin put a curse on his leeks. What will your judgement be, m'lord ?

Your bethroted, Azinga of Berchtesgaden, has just arrived at the castle's gates. She does not speak a word of English, and looks like a cross between a dog and a giraffe. May you live happily ever after.

The wound you have suffered during the last turney has started oozing and festering. -1 Charisma.

The castle's last cat has been roasted. Your belt is starting to look very tasty. The siege continues."
You guys just made me laugh out loud. A lot.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
There's Assassin's Creed, which is not an RPG, but is a visually stunning representation of the high middle ages. Oh, and features lots of stabbin'.
Assasins Creed is Fun, I'll give you(particulary the stabbing, but also the running(and more stabbing)) but it's not terribly historical accurate. That and it pretty much relies on the concept of a genetic memory interpretation machine to pull off.

And then there's the "Pieces of Eden". Yeah. Just those....
Old 03-30-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malacandra View Post
Heck, if it was paper and pencil RPGing you wanted, there'd be no reason not to use D&D - just run an absolutely magic-free campaign with no fantastic creatures. There wouldn't be much point playing anything but a fighter, a thief or maybe a modified bard (monks just have too many fantastic elements built into them). Or if you wanted a more realistic simulation, try the RuneQuest system with no magic, and be prepared for your first fight to end in maiming 'cos those location-based combat systems generally end in the loss of an extremity or a killing body blow if you don't have magical healing to hand.
Or GURPS where medieval characters don't have those kinds of survival troubles.

Or Pendragon where you can say Merlin is just a wise man who knows a few parlor tricks and run the system straight.

Or one of about two dozen non-magic medieval period RPG's that function just fine without some kind of magic user to hand out healing every few minutes or an automatically evil species that the players can feel good about killing.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:56 PM

I played Assbandit's Creed, for all of ten minutes. It sucked. The high-tech virtual-reality-simulation aspect of it was SO FUCKING STUPID; why couldn't they have just set the damn game in the historical period and left it at that? The dusty, dull gray-brown color palette was about as interesting to look at as a camel's ass; I realize it was that way because it was set in Jerusalem or something...well guess what, that was a shitty setting to set it in then. I want to see some red, blue, green, yellow and purple and stuff every now and then. (At least Medieval II Total War is extremely colorful, although it's not the kind of game I'm talking about.)

I just want a game where I can play as a badass knight in badass armor, riding around on a giant horse, and hacking people to death with swords and maces. And the ability to upgrade and customize armor, and earn skill points, and meet other heroes and form parties and develop alliances. What is so impossible about that kind of game?
Old 03-30-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I just want a game where I can play as a badass knight in badass armor, riding around on a giant horse, and hacking people to death with swords and maces. And the ability to upgrade and customize armor, and earn skill points, and meet other heroes and form parties and develop alliances. What is so impossible about that kind of game?
Lack of imagination on too many people's part would be my guess.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

I was going to joke:

SPOILER:
The Original SimCity

Because:

SPOILER:
What?, It looks Medieval by today's standards.

But then I remembered:

SPOILER:
Oh wait, you can have your City smashd by Godzilla in that game. Nevermind.

So it still fails the OP.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
My opinion: because unless the developers were able to introduce enough variety and unique concepts into the game in order to make up for the loss of the many gameplay elements that must be discarded by appealing to realism rather than fantasy, that kind of game would not be fun.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:39 PM

I actually thought of another one. It's a shareware game using the Rogue engine set in medieval Finland, alled Unreal World.

http://www.jmp.fi/~smaarane/urw.html

It doesn't have much of a plot, though.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Your opponents are all the same?
If you insist on realism, it's hard to see how yourself or a small party would have a medieval story.