Old 04-05-2009, 05:51 PM

Looking for thriller novels

I've recently been reading a lot more. I enjoy many genres, but I've noticed lately that I'm burnt out on many of my favorite thriller authors. So I'm looking for suggestions and recommendations on authors and/or titles I should try.

I very rarely read straight mysteries (Sue Grafton is one of the only series I enjoy). I like medical thrillers, detective thrillers, and the occasional lawyer/law-centric thriller. One of my favorite TV shows is Criminal Minds - I like the profiling aspect of it, so books along the same vein would be great.

Authors I enjoy:
-Harlan Coben (both stand-alone and the Myron Bolitar series)
-Thomas Harris (well, his earlier stuff...Red Dragon is an old favorite)
-Greg Iles
-Thomas Cook
-Jason Pinter

Authors I've enjoyed in the past but have gotten tired of:
-Jonathan Kellerman
-Stephen White
-John Lescroart
-John Grisham

Ideas would be much appreciated!
Old 04-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth is a classic of the genre.

Ken Follett's written some good thrillers. Personally, I'd recommend his earlier works like The Key to Rebecca, Eye of the Needle, or Triple.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 04-05-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:00 PM

You might try David Wiltes

Also The Prey series but John Sandford. (Start with Rules of Prey. They did get redundant eventually though, and I stopped reading them.)

There is one more author I want to recommend, but I'll have to search my book shelf.

Turns out I didn't have to search long. Have a look at Cody McFadyen

Last edited by Khadaji; 04-05-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

A slightly different type would be Last Call, by Tim Powers. It's a supernatural conspiracy thriller, only awesome.

Daniel
Old 04-05-2009, 07:24 PM

Anything written by Frederick Forsyth is well worth your time- he's one of my favourite authors.

Robert Harris has written some excellent thrillers as well- check out Pompeii, Archangel, and The Ghost.

John Le Carre's The Tailor of Panama was turned into a very good film starring Pierce Brosnan and Geoffrey Rush, and the film was- incredibly- every bit as good as the book.

Some of the early Clive Cussler stuff (Sahara, Raise The Titanic, Mayday!, Vixen 03, etc) is also very good, but later on it got a bit... Not Very Good.

Last edited by Martini Enfield; 04-05-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:46 PM

Dick Francis is my favorite thriller writer.

I also like Clinton McKinzie's books.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:47 PM

Some new names for me - I'm making my library list now. Thank you!
Old 04-05-2009, 09:36 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Alistair MacLean lost it about the time of The Way to Dusty Death but the novels prior to that are good. Fear is the Key is my favorite. Ice Station Zebra, Night Without End, The Dark Crusader (AKA The Black Shrike) and The Secret Ways are outstanding.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:12 PM

Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter is easily one of the best thrillers ever written. (Just forget that it was made into a lousy movie called Shooter with Mark Wahlberg!)

Also, Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith is just out in paperback. It's an excellent serial-killer tale set in Stalinist Russia.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:09 PM

Nelson DeMille has written some of my favorite thrillers, particularly:

Plum Island, The Lion's Game, Night Fall, and Wild Fire. Great prose style and an excellent sense of humor. He just knows how to keep you glued to the page.

Jeffery Deaver has written some very enjoyable thrillers, one I read recently was The Sleeping Doll. Good stuff.

Michael Connelly is a master. Void Moon is my favorite, but you can't really go wrong with any of them.

Robert Crais has written some awesome detective thrillers. Elvis Cole and Joe Pike are great recurring characters.

The Eight by Katherine Neville is one of my all-time favorite books: chess, history and mysticism all rolled up together in a thriller that never gets boring. I wish Dan Brown could have written a book one tenth as good.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:52 PM
SDSAB

Another vote for early Clive Cussler, especially Raise the Titanic! and Vixen 03, and for Ken Follett, especially for The Eye of the Needle, and for Robert Harris's Fatherland. Len Deighton's SS-GB, about Britain under Nazi occupation, is also very good.

Jack Higgins's The Eagle Has Landed, about a Nazi plot to kidnap Churchill, is terrific. His other stuff is, IMHO, teh suck.

Want a good cloning thriller? I'll give you two: Joshua Son of None by Nancy Freedman is about cloning a murdered President who sounds an awful lot like (but is never actually named as) John F. Kennedy. Ira Levin's The Boys from Brazil is about Dr. Mengele's just-crazy-enough-it-might-work plot to clone Hitler.

Joe Haldeman has written two great sf thrillers. All My Sins Remembered is about an interstellar spy in the distant future who begins to lose his mind because of personality overlays from far too many missions. Tool of the Trade is about a Soviet mole deep under cover in American academia in the mid-1980s who discovers a practical means of mind control... and decides to use it for his own purposes. I re-read it every few years, it's just that good!
Old 04-06-2009, 01:50 AM
BANNED

Robin Cook is the king of medical thrillers. He is great.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:30 AM
BANNED

James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux novels are outstanding.

Lee Child - Reacher stories

And Dick Francis, of course.

Last edited by Clothahump; 04-06-2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-06-2009, 10:39 AM

Maybe you would enjoy the books by Mary Higgins Clark.

Also, another vote for Ira Levin.

Last edited by Švejk; 04-06-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini Enfield View Post
Anything written by Frederick Forsyth is well worth your time- he's one of my favourite authors.
I couldn't recommend The Phantom of Manhattan if you put a gun to my head.

Another vote for Ira Levin. Andrew Vachss & Kinky Friedman are good, if different. And Ed McBain.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Joe Haldeman has written two great sf thrillers.
In addition to the two you mentioned, Buying Time and Worlds would also qualify as SF thrillers.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:16 AM

Vince Flynn

and, they have been mentioned: Nelson Demille and Michael Connolly.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:48 PM

I like Jefferson Bass, I think he only has 4 books so far. (Well, they, as Jefferson Bass is actually two people - William Bass & Jon Jefferson. Bass is a forensic anthropologist and the creator of Tennessee's Body Farm and his lead character is based on himself.)
Old 04-06-2009, 12:53 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
In addition to the two you mentioned, Buying Time and Worlds would also qualify as SF thrillers.
I loved the premise and the characters of Buying Time, but thought he badly stumbled with the ending. (Sometimes Haldeman just has a problem with endings). Worlds doesn't really fit into the thriller mold, IMHO - it's more of a

SPOILER:
coming-of-age story with a near-apocalyptic backdrop,

I'd say.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:36 PM

I'll second Dick Francis and Lee Child.

I'll add Martin Cruz Smith's Arkady Renko novels: Gorky Park, Polar Star, Red Square, Havana Bay, and Wolves Eat Dogs. They are very atmospheric about Soviet and post-Soviet Russia and are great crime thrillers. His recent December 6th/Tokyo Station about an American hustler in Japan at the eve of Pearl Harbor is also recommended.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:03 PM

Thomas Perry should be on any list of this sort. I didn't care for Dead Aim, but otherwise, his books are great.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:18 PM

Sarah Paretsky is good. If you like "whodunnits" then earlier PD James are enjoyable. I found"The Murder Room" disappointing.

I like Dick Francis, but his heroes always seem to be the same self pitying character in each book.

Last edited by maplekiwi; 04-06-2009 at 03:18 PM. Reason: typos
Old 04-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Most of Eric Ambler and Len Deighton.

Both are dated as hell at this point of history, but still very good reads.

I'd suggest starting with the former's A Coffin for Dimitrios, and SS-GB from the latter.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephe96 View Post
Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter is easily one of the best thrillers ever written.
Enthusiastically seconded.

Everything else he's written is pretty good, too.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Xavier View Post
Michael Connelly is a master. Void Moon is my favorite, but you can't really go wrong with any of them.
I haven't read much Connelly, but I really enjoyed The Lincoln Lawyer: top-notch pop fiction.

Maybe the Alex Cross novels of James Patterson?

Even though it's not exactly "my kind of thing," I read and quite enjoyed Joe Quirk's The Ultimate Rush (after reading and loving his very different non-fiction/science/humor book Sperm are from Men, Eggs are from Women).

I can't vouch for any of them, not having read them, but you may be interested in Stephen King's picks for 10 Best Books of 2008, some of which are thrillers.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Xavier View Post
The Eight by Katherine Neville is one of my all-time favorite books: chess, history and mysticism all rolled up together in a thriller that never gets boring. I wish Dan Brown could have written a book one tenth as good.
Katherine Neville's other stuff is also good; I enjoyed The Magic Circle quite a bit.

Also, if you haven't heard, she's written a sequel to The Eight, called The Fire. It's not as good as The Eight, but it's not bad and there are crossover characters.

I like Steve Berry also. Mystic thrillers, very good.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:17 PM

Oh, and you should definitely try The Ruins by Scott Smith.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:28 PM

There's a book called Thriller: Stories to keep you up all night. It's edited by James Patterson, and is compromised of thriller short stories from I think 20 different thriller writers. Its a great book by itself, and a great way to sample tons of different authors.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
Most of Eric Ambler and Len Deighton.

Both are dated as hell at this point of history, but still very good reads.

I'd suggest starting with the former's A Coffin for Dimitrios, and SS-GB from the latter.
If dated is okay, then I'd also suggest the Adam Hall Quiller novels, featuring a "shadow executive" only known as Quiller. Lots of tradecraft, lots of action, despite the fact that the hero refuses to use a firearm.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
I couldn't recommend The Phantom of Manhattan if you put a gun to my head.
I haven't read that one, to be fair. I never cared for The Phantom of the Opera, so a sequel didn't really appeal to me.

The Afghan was rather more padding than I was happy with, admittedly, but certainly everything he's written before that (with the apparent exception of Phantom) is, IMHO, absolutely brilliant. Someone actually used The Dogs of War as a "How-To" guide in trying to overthrow the government of a West African country and very nearly got away with it, interestingly.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damfino View Post
If dated is okay, then I'd also suggest the Adam Hall Quiller novels,
I second Quiller. A bit over the top at times, but I particularly enjoy the details of the executives being run by a controller.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markxxx View Post
I like him, but I find that Cook can get repetitive. As with Dean Coontz, once you've read a couple of his books, you've read 'em all.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers View Post
I like him, but I find that Cook can get repetitive. As with Dean Coontz, once you've read a couple of his books, you've read 'em all.
Sorry for the nitpick, but it is either Dean Koontz or Stephen Coonts.

I'm a fan of Dean Koontz (but would not disagree that many of his book are repetitive) and a few years ago I was in the hospital recovering from surgery. My mother asked if she could bring me some books. The pain meds kept me from thinking too straight, so all I could think to ask her to bring me was anything by Koontz. I couldn't remember the first name nor even how to spell the last. (In the end I couldn't concentrate enough to read either, but none-the-less.)

She brought me something from Stephen Coonts. They are very different authors.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:03 AM

I love Michael Connelly - he's an excellent writer and his H. Bosch novels are the best; I heartily recommend any of his books.

I'd also recommend Jeffrey Deaver; one of his main characters is the paralyzed detective Lincoln Rhymes. The Bone Collector, starring Denzel Washington, was one of Deaver's novels about Rhymes.

I love thrillers; John Sanford is another author I have read and liked for years. I'm always looking for different authors, though, so shall keep an eye on this thread.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:42 PM

The Reincarnationist is supposed to be very good. I'm looking forward to reading it next, myself. There is also a sequel out.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadaji View Post
I'm a fan of Dean Koontz
Who is not the Science Fistion author Dean R. Koontz, as I understand.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon918 View Post
I'd also recommend Jeffrey Deaver; one of his main characters is the paralyzed detective Lincoln Rhymes. The Bone Collector, starring Denzel Washington, was one of Deaver's novels about Rhymes.
A non-Rhymes novel by Deaver, A Maiden's Grave, is fantastic. Hostage situation, deaf hostages, trained FBI negotiator-- well worth reading.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
I second Quiller. A bit over the top at times, but I particularly enjoy the details of the executives being run by a controller.
Ferris is my favourite. Isn't he the one who stamps on cockroaches ?

Last edited by Damfino; 04-08-2009 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Have to learn how to include two quotes in a post
Old 04-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damfino View Post
Ferris is my favourite. Isn't he the one who stamps on cockroaches ?
And Quiller, who kills folks with his bare hands, cringes when he does so.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:26 PM

Good stuff here. Many affirmations of authors I like and many, many good recommendations for new stuff. Thanks again!
Old 04-08-2009, 08:49 PM

Another vote for Nelson DeMille. His return to Vietnam thriller, Up Country, was fascinating and terrifying. You also might like Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon series. They're very well written, tense, exciting Israeli spy novels. Best to read them in order.

The Kill Artist
The English Assassin
The Confessor
A Death in Vienna
Prince of Fire
The Messenger
The Secret Servant
Moscow Rules
Old 04-08-2009, 10:05 PM
SDSAB

Frederick Forsyth's The ODESSA File is a great thriller about a young German journalist hunting down a former SS man in the early 1960s. There are several very interesting layers to the book, and it's a real page-turner.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:36 AM

I would also recommend Desmond Bagley if you can get hold of any. Different backgrounds, different types of story, most falling into the adventure thriller category.

My favourite might be The Tightrope Men which starts with the protagonist waking up in a strange bedroom... with a strange face!

But they're all good. Other favourites: The Golden Keel, High Citadel, The Vivero Letter, Running Blind.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Another personal favorite - the late A.J. Quinnell. Probably best known for Man on Fire due to the movie adaptations. I'd also recommend The Mahdi and In the Name of the Father.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephe96 View Post
Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter is easily one of the best thrillers ever written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post
Enthusiastically seconded.

Everything else he's written is pretty good, too.
And a third. Hunter is one of my favorite authors, though I haven't picked up his latest one yet, I have read all of the others. I've read Point of Impact a few times and have it ready to read again.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

carnivorousplant - Dean Koontz and Dean R. Koontz are the same person, as well as all his pseudonyms.

I like David Morrell - The League of Night and Fog and The Brotherhood of the Rose and others.

StG
Old 04-09-2009, 12:44 PM

I haven't read Morrell in years. I may have to dig up his most recent one.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markxxx View Post
Hmmm - I just finished listening to his book Vector on CD, and found a lot of the dialogue to be rather pedantic and full of words normal people don't use. I enjoyed the tale, however.

Tess Gerritsen writes some decent mysteries, largely centered around several career women in the Boston area (a police detective and a medical examiner). I've enjoyed all of them so far. She has others which are not centered around those characters, and have strong medical plots (the author is/was a doctor).

Lisa Gardner also writes some good stuff. Main character also tends to be one of several females.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Another personal favorite - the late A.J. Quinnell. Probably best known for Man on Fire due to the movie adaptations. I'd also recommend The Mahdi and In the Name of the Father.
Siege of Silence by Quinnell is an excellent thriller. Highly recommended.

Last edited by Stephe96; 04-09-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:34 PM

The Modesty Blaise series by Peter O'Donnell. Again a bit dated, but there is a wonderful dynamic between the two main characters. Their abilities are a bit exaggerated but they practice enough to justify it. Parts are often very funny. These boks have been described as the "get me out of here" sub-genre of the thriller category. The protagonists are usually imprisoned or surrounded and escape with great ingenuity and daring. All good escapist (!) fun.