The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 04-15-2009, 03:20 PM

What does Hugh Laurie use for vicodin in House?

What does he keep popping? Are they tic-tacs? Anyone know?
Advertisements  
Old 04-15-2009, 05:52 PM

No idea, but I suspect that in quite a few scenes he just pantomimes.

Perhaps the prop department makes sugar pills?
Old 04-15-2009, 06:59 PM

was thinkin sugar pills myself. You can buy those little gel-cap dealies (like a protein incasing, I dunno what you'd call it) at some health food stores so you can make your own pills, I bet those, filled with sugar or whatever, would look good enough to pass a quick camera test and they'd be super cheap.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopeJewish View Post
was thinkin sugar pills myself. You can buy those little gel-cap dealies (like a protein incasing, I dunno what you'd call it) at some health food stores so you can make your own pills, I bet those, filled with sugar or whatever, would look good enough to pass a quick camera test and they'd be super cheap.
Given that in the age of hi-def, characters on TV shows still walk around drinking from empty coffee cups1, I wouldn't be surprised if he's miming most of the time.

1. Fucking hell, I hate that. Just put some god damn water in it -- anything to give it some weight so it's not so obvious that THE GOD DAMN CUP IS EMPTY. PEOPLE CAN TELL.

I'm looking at you, especially, The West Wing and ER.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:29 PM

Could be M&M's or something.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

I wouldn't be surprised if there were Hollywood prop providers who make placebo pills for movies and TV. Making a placebo pill is relatively trivial, as is colour matching, so getting a right/believable shape for any known drug shouldn't be very hard. Capsules are even easier since they come in bulk standard colours and sizes.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
Given that in the age of hi-def, characters on TV shows still walk around drinking from empty coffee cups1, I wouldn't be surprised if he's miming most of the time.
he's definitely miming most of the time, but there are times when you see him with pills in his hand. Plus there's gotta be something in the bottle cause he shakes it occasionally and it makes the correct noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemosyne View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if there were Hollywood prop providers who make placebo pills for movies and TV. Making a placebo pill is relatively trivial, as is colour matching, so getting a right/believable shape for any known drug shouldn't be very hard. Capsules are even easier since they come in bulk standard colours and sizes.
hadn7t thought of that but it makes the most sense
Old 04-15-2009, 11:37 PM
BANNED

He substitutes Oxycotin.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:04 AM

All I can tell is that they're white, and roughly fingernail-size. Possibly Chicklets or some kind of mint.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Only Vicodin isn't in a capsule, it's a solid, oblong tablet.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Plus there's gotta be something in the bottle cause he shakes it occasionally and it makes the correct noise
Maybe they add the sound in post production.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Only Vicodin isn't in a capsule, it's a solid, oblong tablet.
That's only one formulation for hydrocodone. Scroll down for some capsule versions.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:35 AM
Charter Member

not sure but the pill they flashed as colchicine was awful huge, mine are tiny adn near as I know there is only one dosage for it ... and what the frell cold med that is a little yellow pill prescription med do you just chow down as you feel like it?!
Old 04-16-2009, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret Herder View Post
That's only one formulation for hydrocodone.
Point taken, but to be more precise, it is 67 formulations out of 76, or 88% that are oblong tablets, while three formulations come in capsules. I stand corrected.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Point taken, but to be more precise, it is 67 formulations out of 76, or 88% that are oblong tablets, while three formulations come in capsules. I stand corrected.
Considering his habit, he should be popping a different variety in each episode. Whatever's most accessible...
Old 04-16-2009, 01:04 PM

They've shown the pills in detail several times and they are the solid white oblongs.

You can tell when Laurie is miming and when he's actually popping one. When he mimes he puts the palm of his hand to his mouth. When he actually takes one, it's thumb and first two fingers.

I'm sure they have easy access to a large supply of sugar pills in the prop department.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:

1. Fucking hell, I hate that. Just put some god damn water in it -- anything to give it some weight so it's not so obvious that THE GOD DAMN CUP IS EMPTY. PEOPLE CAN TELL.

Indeed! If they used black cups, they could even show the water inside and it would look like coffee.

Personally, I would just drink coffee on set.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:08 PM

Entertainment Story, 2024: Hugh Laurie sues over diabetes developed due to popping so many sugar pills on the set of House.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:20 PM

As a proud Vicodin addict myself (I take usually six a day), mine are light blue, but they're Lortab, the double strength Vicodin. And I KNOW he's not really taking Vicodin or he'd be drinking a butt-load of fluids. Dries out your mouth and makes you constipated, don't ya know.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnuckiputzi View Post
As a proud Vicodin addict myself (I take usually six a day), mine are light blue, but they're Lortab, the double strength Vicodin. And I KNOW he's not really taking Vicodin or he'd be drinking a butt-load of fluids. Dries out your mouth and makes you constipated, don't ya know.
They actually did do an episode where they showed him suffering from some bad constipation and Wilson commented on it and suggested changing his dose/medication.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:01 PM

Pharm tech notes here

Quote:
Right-o. The "brand name" Vicodins actually have a higher "street value" because they are easier to identify for this reason. Phony scrips will often have "do not substitute for generic." And the reason a lot of pharmacies have started to keep laxatives behind the counter is not to embarass you the one time of year you actually need them, it's because habitual drug abusers will come in and sweep the entire rack into their bag and run out the door before anyone can blink. When you gotta go, you gotta go.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:09 PM
Creature of the Night

In one show, House gets an empty bottle from the pharmacy, and fills it up from the candy vending machine. Most of the candies that I've seen in those machines have a variety of bright, cheerful colors, though.

It's extremely easy to make a sugar pill, I've done it myself. It requires no real skill. I don't think that mine would have held up to being shaken in a bottle, but that would be easy to get around. Just use a different bottle with buttons or something that makes the right sound (could even use aspirin) or add the sound in post production, as someone else said.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Bodoni View Post
It's extremely easy to make a sugar pill, I've done it myself. It requires no real skill. I don't think that mine would have held up to being shaken in a bottle, but that would be easy to get around. Just use a different bottle with buttons or something that makes the right sound (could even use aspirin) or add the sound in post production, as someone else said.
Sound effects of this sort are almost always added in post-production. The folly artist's job is to add all the clicks, clacks, clangs, ruffles, snaps, footsteps, and inappropriate dog barking that you will never, ever notice.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouv View Post
They actually did do an episode where they showed him suffering from some bad constipation and Wilson commented on it and suggested changing his dose/medication.
It wasn't constipation, he couldn't urinate and ended up cathing himself .
Old 10-17-2010, 05:43 AM

Quote:
just because yours is blue doesn't mean they are all blue, I have had vicodin myself and mine were white, had IP190 on one side and500 on the other, we all know that he is not really taking vicodin but the shape is spot on for it, probably a Tylenol or something that has no writing on it so before you go acting like you know what you are talking about do a little bit of research, or at least watch the show, watch season 1 episode 22 were you actually see the pill that he is putting into his mouth k
Old 10-17-2010, 10:51 AM

Yeesh. She said hers were Lortab, double strength Vicodin. How about some Prozac?
Old 10-17-2010, 10:52 AM

I always assumed he was pantomiming, but that's because he rarely bothers to wash it down with a glass of water. I know *I* couldn't swallow a pill dry like that. Also, HL is an awesome pantomimer.

PS - is that a word? maybe just "mime"
Old 10-17-2010, 11:05 AM

Of course, if he was a true method actor, he'd insist on using real Vicodin.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:50 PM

My friend Barbara Barnett wrote a really good book about the show.

Chasing Zebras, the unofficial guide to House M.D.

This is taken from an Amazon review
Chasing Zebras, the unofficial guide to House M.D. is a must read. I love everything about this book. It is well written and thought provoking. If you are a fan of the show, this is the book to have and reference back to.

Check it out

David
Old 10-17-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha07 View Post
just because yours is blue doesn't mean they are all blue, I have had vicodin myself and mine were white, had IP190 on one side and500 on the other, we all know that he is not really taking vicodin but the shape is spot on for it, probably a Tylenol or something that has no writing on it so before you go acting like you know what you are talking about do a little bit of research, or at least watch the show, watch season 1 episode 22 were you actually see the pill that he is putting into his mouth k
White oblong tablet, with IP 190 on one side and 500 on the other, is naproxen sodium 500mg (generic Naprosyn 500mg) manufactured by Amneal Pharmaceuticals. I know because I see it dozens of times a week.

It says IP 190 because Amneal bought Interpharm (hence the IP) and the middle four digits of its NDC are 0190 -- and when Amneal bought Interpharm, they didn't change any of their imprints (thank God) -- and the 500 on the back is the strength. Everything Interpharm used to make (and that Amneal still does) has a similar imprint.

Source, since my personal attestation isn't enough.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
I always assumed he was pantomiming, but that's because he rarely bothers to wash it down with a glass of water. I know *I* couldn't swallow a pill dry like that.
But a lot of people can dry swallow pills just fine. Most of the people that I know that can do it are frequent pill takers.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I am writing you a scrip for suspension of disbelief pills. And there are much better reasons to hate ER than the one you gave.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Entertainment Story, 2024: Hugh Laurie sues over diabetes developed due to popping so many sugar pills on the set of House.
I'm thinking something similar will happen with the cast of Mad Men suing the producers over cancer they got/will get from all the smoking or secondhand smoke exposure.

Seriously, is there a way to fake cigarette smoking or use something that looks like cig smoke but isn't?
Old 10-17-2010, 01:42 PM

NM

Last edited by Skald the Rhymer; 10-17-2010 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: whoosh!
Old 10-17-2010, 02:01 PM

According to Wikipedia Vicodin also includes Paracetomol. Due to this, I've always been a bit confused why everyone was so worried about the addiction aspect. The way he is popping them surely his liver has been fried by now?
Old 10-17-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I always assumed he was pantomiming, but that's because he rarely bothers to wash it down with a glass of water. I know *I* couldn't swallow a pill dry like that. Also, HL is an awesome pantomimer.

PS - is that a word? maybe just "mime"
When you take lots of pills it becomes pretty easy to take one without water. I do it pretty regularly.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalostwages View Post
Seriously, is there a way to fake cigarette smoking or use something that looks like cig smoke but isn't?
I remember Glenn Close saying once that during 101 Dalmatians she used rose petal cigarettes (as Cruella De Vil) because she's allergic to tobacco. She also said the substitute cigarettes smelled terrible.

Last edited by Jophiel; 10-17-2010 at 04:43 PM..
Old 10-17-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I'm thinking something similar will happen with the cast of Mad Men suing the producers over cancer they got/will get from all the smoking or secondhand smoke exposure.

Years ago, I read that the Cigarette Smoking Man on X-Files smoked cloves.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Herbal cigarettes.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Of course, if he was a true method actor, he'd insist on using real Vicodin.
I think I read somewhere that he did for a little while, to see what it was like.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanset View Post
According to Wikipedia Vicodin also includes Paracetomol. Due to this, I've always been a bit confused why everyone was so worried about the addiction aspect. The way he is popping them surely his liver has been fried by now?
You know, I knew Vicodin had acetaminphen in it, but I never thought about that. Still, there's most likely a method of removing most of the APAP.

BTW, why does one medicine have so many generic names?
Old 10-18-2010, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi Hassenpfeffer View Post
White oblong tablet, with IP 190 on one side and 500 on the other, is naproxen sodium 500mg (generic Naprosyn 500mg) manufactured by Amneal Pharmaceuticals. I know because I see it dozens of times a week.

It says IP 190 because Amneal bought Interpharm (hence the IP) and the middle four digits of its NDC are 0190 -- and when Amneal bought Interpharm, they didn't change any of their imprints (thank God) -- and the 500 on the back is the strength. Everything Interpharm used to make (and that Amneal still does) has a similar imprint.

And here's a picture from an online pill identifier. Good old naproxen, aka Aleve, a NSAID with no opiates.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max the Immortal View Post
Yup. The actor who played The Smoking Man on the X-Files had been an ex-smoker when he got the role, and switched to herbal cigarettes after two episodes.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
You know, I knew Vicodin had acetaminphen in it, but I never thought about that. Still, there's most likely a method of removing most of the APAP.
Removing it? Why? They want it in there because it makes it work to control pain with less hydrocodone. They put it in on purpose.

It is hard on your liver? Yeah. That's why they really don't want people on it long term at high doses. That's the medical reason why the other characters are concerned that House pops 'em like Tic-Tacs. (Well that and the whole bullshit "moral" angle re: narcotic addiction.)
Quote:
BTW, why does one medicine have so many generic names?
I don't know! Seriously, I've been asking everyone who might know why it has two generic names, while most drugs have just one, and I've gotten nowhere. I've formed my own theory, but it might just be horsehockey. Ready?

[WAG]Paracetemol/acetaminophen has two generic names, as best I can tell, because it was "invented" twice. The first time it was synthesized in the late 1800's, it was called paracetemol, and believed to be too toxic to use in medicine. A different related drug quickly overshadowed it and paracetemol research basically stopped cold. It was another 50 years before actual lab tests on animals were done on it, finding it to be more or less safe (as long as you follow the dosing instructions), and it was marketed for the first time as a medical drug in the US. My theory is that it was called acetaminophen so that people wouldn't be afraid to buy or use it, remembering when it was considered too dangerous to use. Rebranding, in other words. That the rest of the world was too smart to fall for, and so they continue to call it paracetemol.[/WAG]
Old 10-18-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
Removing it? Why? They want it in there because it makes it work to control pain with less hydrocodone. They put it in on purpose.

It is hard on your liver? Yeah. That's why they really don't want people on it long term at high doses. That's the medical reason why the other characters are concerned that House pops 'em like Tic-Tacs. (Well that and the whole bullshit "moral" angle re: narcotic addiction.)
Swedish tv is a bit behind the US, but I honestly do not remember the affect on the liver coming up. It has always been about the addiction.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
But a lot of people can dry swallow pills just fine. Most of the people that I know that can do it are frequent pill takers.
This is an interesting characteristic of Jack Torrence in The Shining. The man eats Excedrin like it's candy.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi Hassenpfeffer View Post

No wonder she was so upset. She's supposed to be on vicodin and someone is feeding her Aleve instead. That would make anyone cranky.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdosain View Post
No wonder she was so upset. She's supposed to be on vicodin and someone is feeding her Aleve instead. That would make anyone cranky.
No shit, I would be downright testy, I am someone that aleve is basically blue M&Ms without the chocolaty goodness inside to. I hate it when people keep telling me it is a wonder painkiller. Well, when I take it I wonder when the pain will stop.

That pesky redhead gene sucks for people with chronic pain problems