Windows Server 2008: Unable to create or edit new files.

I hope someone can help me with this one, I’m stumped at the moment:

Platform: Windows 2008 Server (Web edition)
Account: Not local admin, but member of the local admins group.
Folder: c:\inetpub (but also seems to affect all folders outside my profile)

When I try to save changes to a file or do a save as I get an error message saying that the file could not be created.

It’s case 2 from this MS article, that deals with the hosts file: Can't modify the Hosts or Lmhosts file - Windows Server | Microsoft Learn

MS tells you to run your app as administrator and save from there, but that’s not practical long term.

The other way I have found is to create files in my profile, then drag them into the folder. Again, not practical for large amounts of files.

Anyone know a proper resolution to this? the local admins group has Full Control and ownership of the folder in question.

Have you checked your account’s effective permissions on the subfolder you’re trying to write to?

Just did… all access rights are enabled.

Are any access rights disabled?

Are you accessing the file locally or via a share?

No rights were disabled that I could see in the effective permissions window.
I’m accessing the folder locally.

So what happens when you use the actual administrator account? Vista has a special hidden account which manages these sort of things and I’m wondering if 2008 Server has the same. After all, they both share the same kernel.

When I use the actual Administrator account, everything works fine. I can create and edit files everywhere.

Eureka!

UAC. As soon as I turned it off and rebooted… no more problem. Turns out that MS in their wisdom disabled admin rights for admins by default.

That’s a special kind of genius, BillG.

Thanks for your suggestions Quartz and yoyodyne