Origin of koochie koochie koo?

So where exactly did the phrase koochie koochie koo come from? Thanks!

Possibly imitative of a baby’s noise. From the OED

http://www.smickandsmodoo.com/lyrics/gal.htm Might be with this song. First recorded in 1925

‘Oochi, woochi, coochi-koo?’

‘It’s an ancient Earth dialect.’

Although I dont know for sure, I believe that Coochie coo/Koochie coo, may have come from the Japanese word for mouth. (口/くち)romaji being “kuchi” is pronounced as we would say coo-chi.

Welcome to the SDMB LeoliyX. You have the dubious honor making your first post in an 8 year old thread started by someone called Deadindays who hasn’t been around since 2014. Not to worry. We’ve all been there. Did you bring pie? :wink:

Sorry, no. For one thing, the “u” sound in “kuchi” is very short, almost elided, not a long “oo” at all. For another thing, when speaking to babies, Japanese people don’t say anything like that.

In short, that’s just a random similarity of sort-of similar sounds with different meanings in different languages.

Another explanation I’ve heard is that it comes from the Welsh “cwtch”. (pronounced more like “kutch” than “cooch” - it rhymes with “butch”)

The closest translation to English is hug or cuddle but it really communicates more the place of safety and security that those activities provide.

That’s a little more plausible than a word that means ‘mouth’ in the context of comforting a baby, and also sounds very similar.