The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Comments on Cecil's Columns/Staff Reports

Old 04-24-2009, 05:57 PM

Chicago Lyric 25 or 6 to 4 Proven Drug Reference

I can't believe I'm the only one with this exact reference. This is beyond all question a reference to LSD.

Consider this line..
“Should I try to do some more 25 or 6 to 4?”
Read it as “Should I try to drop some more acid?”

Here is my proof:

In the movie Captain Newman, MD (1963), Gregory Peck injects a patient with a drug, and there is close up of the bottle. The label says "Lysergic Acid Diethylamide, 25 or 6 to 4" I have seen this scene at least three times.

It is not totally clear what the term means. 25 is easy to explain:
The term LSD comes from the initials of the German for lysergic acid diethylamide, or Lysersäure Diethylamid. The number "25" following it has many myths attached to it, such as it was the 25th form of LSD that Hofmann tried, or it was his 25th attempt to make LSD. From my own experience with chemical companies that are allied with pharmaceutical houses, I had assumed that the chemical name (which might be a mouthful for the pharmacologist) was simply replaced with a pronounceable code number equivalent. But the answer here is yet simpler. Hofmann, in his LSD, My Problem Child wrote: "In 1938, I produced the twenty fifth substance in a series of lysergic acid derivatives: lysergic acid diethylamide, abbreviated LSD-25 ... for laboratory usage."

But then at the same document we find a possible clue:

"Within a few years of the discovery of the extraordinary potency of LSD, a large number of close analogues were synthesized by Hofmann and his allies at Sandoz. Over the following decade many were tested in humans, both in patients and healthy subjects, with the qualitative descriptions and dosages published in the medical literature."

http://www.erowid.org/library/books_...tihkal26.shtml

I think this was such an experimental drug at the time of the movie that the term may actually refer to a dosage, see this:

Delysid (LSD 25) D-lysergic acid diethylamide tartrate ....
INDICATIONS AND DOSAGE

a) Analytical psychotherapy, ...The initial dose is 25 µg ... This dose is increased at each treatment ...
b) ... In normal subjects, doses of 25 to 75 µg re generally sufficient to produce a hallucinatory psychosis (on an average 1 µg/kg body weight). In certain forms of psychosis and in chronic alcoholism, higher doses are necessary (2 to 4 µg/kg body weight)
Advertisements  
Old 04-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Just so you know, it's helpful to provide a link to the original column so that others can follow along.

What does the Chicago lyric "25 or 6 to 4" mean?

It would be surprising that anyone in Chicago would still be putting out false stories about the lyrics 30 years after the fact. Nobody today would care if a 60s song had a drug reference in it.

But you're certainly not the first to suggest that the song is about drugs or about LSD is particular. Putting "25 or 6 to 4" LSD into Google returns 1410 hits.

The problem with the rest of your post is that I can't find a single reference to LSD in Captain Newman, M.D. And the notion of someone using a needle to inject a person with LSD is even odder. LSD doses come in micrograms. It's not impossible to inject LSD but that's a weirdly non-standard method.

So proven is a word I wouldn't allow anywhere near this conjecture.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipem View Post
In the movie Captain Newman, MD (1963), Gregory Peck injects a patient with a drug, and there is close up of the bottle. The label says "Lysergic Acid Diethylamide, 25 or 6 to 4" I have seen this scene at least three times.

b) ... In normal subjects, doses of 25 to 75 µg re generally sufficient to produce a hallucinatory psychosis (on an average 1 µg/kg body weight). In certain forms of psychosis and in chronic alcoholism, higher doses are necessary (2 to 4 µg/kg body weight)
But why would a bottle of medicine have a gibberish dosage like "25 or 6 to 4?"
Old 04-25-2009, 01:52 AM

This is the only scene in which Peck's character injects anyone. As you can see, there is no close-up of the bottle.

Man, Robert Duvall looked almost young in that movie.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

And the injection is of sodium pentothal or "flak-juice" as they call it in the novel. It's a critical and famous scene. (Thanks for the link though because I didn't remember it until seeing jogged my memory. In my defense it's been a long time since I read the book or saw the movie.) There is no possibility of them substituting LSD instead, something that would be guaranteed not to give the same effect.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Right Hand of the Master
Charter Member

Interesting. It'really nice that the internet allows such immediate power for debunking of mis-perceptions or mis-rememberings (I'm being charitable here) and quick clarification. Thanks, Blank Slate, for being so quick and conclusive.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:42 PM

You're very welcome.

I was a little disappointed, though. I was looking forward to watching Gregory Peck inject a patient with LSD. I wound up watching the whole movie on Youtube, in 14 segments. I wondered about the legality of it, but it's been up for awhile and the studios are vigilant these days.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
And the injection is of sodium pentothal or "flak-juice" as they call it in the novel. It's a critical and famous scene. (Thanks for the link though because I didn't remember it until seeing jogged my memory. In my defense it's been a long time since I read the book or saw the movie.) There is no possibility of them substituting LSD instead, something that would be guaranteed not to give the same effect.
I don't mean to defend this notion since I think it's been well debunked here but I saw a Biography show on Whitey Bulger the other night and in it a guy said that Bulger had gotten early release from prison for participating in an LSD study whose purpose was to test it as a "truth serum".

Now this was an assertion by a third party 40+ years later (IIRC this would have been 1965) so I give it no credence but I wonder whether A. the military or CIA did test LSD for this purpose and B. if not, when did the legend that they did so gain currency? If the legend were contemporary it wouldn't be impossible that a writer might make that change although clearly they didn't in this case.

Funny post though; I was ready to accept that LSD might have figured in a movie of the period but why in heck the bottle would read "25 or 6 to 4" wasn't really explained at all.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:35 AM
BANNED

Think the OP will ever add to his one and only post?

Great work, guys. (And now I think I'll order Captain Newman, MD from Netflix.)
Old 04-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

They were testing it as an alternate approach to the idea of truth serum. It didn't work.
-- Charles Williams. Taliessin through Logres: Prelude
Old 07-23-2011, 11:04 PM

Finally!!!!!!!

YES- YES, u are rite!! I knew this from an OLD issue of high times and every single damn thing i typed in came up w Chicago saying it was a time reference. FINALLY- i can prove 2 my friends that its an acid reference!! Thank u!!!
Old 07-23-2011, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

...and the fight continues
Old 07-23-2011, 11:37 PM

OK. And the explanation given by Bobby Lamm, the composer of 25 or 6 to 4, means nothing to you at all?

ETA - You're right, Nemo, it's taking longer than we thought.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:33 AM

OMG too funny, the SD propagating ignorance through google searches and selective reading!

Last edited by Sparky812; 07-24-2011 at 07:34 AM..
Old 07-24-2011, 08:48 AM
BANNED

Why is it that the people who are torturing lyrics to find drug references in things that have an obvious and mundane meaning always spell and capitalize like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookeebitch View Post
YES- YES, u are rite!! I knew this from an OLD issue of high times and every single damn thing i typed in came up w Chicago saying it was a time reference. FINALLY- i can prove 2 my friends that its an acid reference!! Thank u!!!

Oh, I almost forgot, BRAAAAINNNNS!
Old 07-24-2011, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

I blame the modern preponderance of digital clocks, especially those tied to the atomic clock in Denver. In the analog days we weren't nearly so precise. After all, does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care?
Old 07-24-2011, 10:54 PM

Never mind 25 or 6 to 4. Who has the answers to Questions 67 & 68?
Old 07-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Never mind 25 or 6 to 4. Who has the answers to Questions 67 & 68?
Please don't tell me. It really doesn't matter anyhow.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:59 PM

No way this badass jam is not about tripping balls out

My take is that this is that this is the one Chicago tune that is undeniably right in the mix with my fav classic rock tunes of the time but that I invariably forget to rank with them. I'm talking about such jams as Gimme Shelter, anything you wanna pick for the mighty zep, Jimi's jams, the Floyd and the Beatles.

So why do I continually fail to register this tune alongside?

It's Chicago for crying out loud. They were not in that clique and didnt wanna be. But trust me, they were musicians during those years and this song is damn well about an acid trip.

Lamm is woefully disingenuous to try and deny it with the lame bs about it being about writing a song, but likely he smiles at himself for never having told it any other way

all of these lyrics are *exactly* what a trip is like

you drop the dot or the blotter or a cube

and within an hour your perception changes exacty as described below

around 3 am the dose from around 9 pm is wearing out

but this new perception is magic, you don't know what to say, you feel like you ought to sleep but you want to cruise on to sunrise and wonder if you ought to do some more

for many years I never heard that this song being about lsd was even in dispute

and everyone knew the 25 or 6 to 4

referred to dropping out versus working the shift

but you go douche wad hipsters and think it's not

Here are the lyrics per sing 365:

Waiting for the break of day
Searching for something to say
Flashing lights against the sky
Giving up I close my eyes
Sitting cross-legged on the floor
25 or 6 to 4
Staring blindly into space
Getting up to splash my face
Wanting just to stay awake
Wondering how much I can take
Should I try to do some more
25 or 6 to 4
Feeling like I ought to sleep
Spinning room is sinking deep
25 or 6 to 4
25 or 6 to 4
Old 08-14-2015, 10:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Sounds like a guy trying to come up with lyrics to a song to me.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

Here, have one of the several other threads in which we hashed out that no, this song is not about drugs, it was never about drugs, Chicago doesn't have any other songs about drugs in their catalog, they've maintained for 45 years that it isn't about drugs, and that nobody, anywhere, ever, has used the phrase "25 or 6 to 4" as a name for a drug.

Last edited by Smapti; 08-14-2015 at 10:13 PM..
Old 08-14-2015, 10:59 PM

no problem

as i said

it was common knowledge that 25 or 6 to 4 meant dropping out on cid vs working a shift with 6 to 4 being a common shift schedule

certainly not about kent state - ridiculous

but believe it's a tune about writing a tune, that's cool and fine with me but in my opinion lost history and wrong

the thing i want to mention though
is that thanks to the op i bought the dvd and it's a very entertaining flick

especially to see mr green acres preformance is super sweet

but as others have posted: no lsd bottle with the claimed label....
Old 08-14-2015, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgnull View Post
as i said

it was common knowledge that 25 or 6 to 4 meant dropping out on cid vs working a shift with 6 to 4 being a common shift schedule
Then it should be trivially easy for you to provide an example of the phrase "25 or 6 to 4' referring to LSD which predates the song.

Or a cite that it was common for people to work 10-hour shifts in the '60s.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:38 PM

how old are you hipster?

because you are incapable of googling 6 to 4 shift work?

and you've done acid or not?

as i fucking said, from about tenth grade for me in fucking 1980 we all knew this tune was about doing acid or doing a shift and that's the whole fucking reason I'm bothering to post

since googling this and browsing very few results of which this site is close to being around 1oo3

i just want to share what was common knowledge in louisville ky in 1980 among tenth graders

here's a link to shift work hipster. and its not relic from the 60's but is still used today for folks that are lucky enough to still work in us manufacturing

http://www.bmscentral.com/learn-empl...otating-shift/
Old 08-15-2015, 12:00 AM

i could really give a fuck abou educating spoiled kow it gen y millenials on this but since i do know some supremely cool ones, as ricky said to lucy, 'splain this:

so how exactly does that make more sense in terms of writing a song versus dropping cid

seriously

i mean like totally seriously for fucking real!?
Old 08-15-2015, 12:07 AM

i could really give a fuck about educating spoiled know it all gen y millenials on this but since i do know some supremely cool ones, then on their behalf and as ricky said to lucy, 'splain this:

so how exactly does that make more sense in terms of writing a song versus dropping cid

seriously

like you are writing a song about writing a song and you write that you wonder how much you can take of this gruelling task of writing a song and whether or not you should try and *do* some more rather than *write* some more because do is a more jamming lyric than write and so forth bs obfuscating bs for something that wasn't ever a doubt in my hood long before the net
Old 08-15-2015, 12:09 AM

According to Bobby Lamm in the SD article:

Wanting just to stay awake, wondering how much I can take--How far can he push himself to get the song done?

Should I try to do some more?--This is the line that makes many think it's a drug song. But it is just as easily construed as a frustrated writer wondering if he should try to do some more lyrics/songwriting.

So, who's right? The song's writer, or a bunch of tenth graders in Kentucky? I know who my money's on.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:18 AM
Charter Member

Wondering how much (more writing tonight) I can take
Should I try to do some more (writing now)

seriously

i mean like totally seriously for fucking real!?
Old 08-15-2015, 12:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
i just want to share what was common knowledge in louisville ky in 1980 among tenth graders
Well, clearly, the word of a tenth-grader is much more trustworthy than the word of the people who wrote, arranged, and have been performing the song for half a century.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
like you are writing a song about writing a song and you write that you wonder how much you can take of this gruelling task of writing a song and whether or not you should try and *do* some more rather than *write* some more because do is a more jamming lyric than write and so forth bs obfuscating bs for something that wasn't ever a doubt in my hood long before the net
Yeah, because no one writes songs about writing songs (or having trouble writing songs)

Gwen Stefani - "What You Waiting For?"
Nora - "Writer’s Block"
Killing The Dream - “Writer's Block”
Brand New - "Failure By Design"
Jets To Brazil - "I Typed For Miles"
Fatlip - "Writer's Block"

seriously

Some of these bands even try to fool you into thinking they would write about not being able to write by even naming it "Writer's Block".

seriously
Old 08-15-2015, 03:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My take is that this is that this is the one Chicago tune that is undeniably right in the mix with my fav classic rock tunes of the time but that I invariably forget to rank with them. I'm talking about such jams as Gimme Shelter, anything you wanna pick for the mighty zep, Jimi's jams, the Floyd and the Beatles.

So why do I continually fail to register this tune alongside?

It's Chicago for crying out loud. They were not in that clique and didnt wanna be. But trust me, they were musicians during those years and this song is damn well about an acid trip.

Lamm is woefully disingenuous to try and deny it with the lame bs about it being about writing a song, but likely he smiles at himself for never having told it any other way

all of these lyrics are *exactly* what a trip is like

you drop the dot or the blotter or a cube

and within an hour your perception changes exacty as described below

around 3 am the dose from around 9 pm is wearing out

but this new perception is magic, you don't know what to say, you feel like you ought to sleep but you want to cruise on to sunrise and wonder if you ought to do some more

for many years I never heard that this song being about lsd was even in dispute

and everyone knew the 25 or 6 to 4

referred to dropping out versus working the shift

but you go douche wad hipsters and think it's not

Here are the lyrics per sing 365:

Flashing lights against the sky
Giving up I close my eyes
Sitting cross-legged on the floor
25 or 6 to 4
Staring blindly into space
Getting up to splash my face
Wanting just to stay awake
25 or 6 to 4
Feeling like I ought to sleep
Spinning room is sinking deep
25 or 6 to 4
25 or 6 to 4
Welcome to the SDMB.

Who, exactly, is "the mighty zep?"
Old 08-15-2015, 04:10 AM
Charter Member

Led Zeppelin
Old 08-15-2015, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Thank you, but with respect, I was asking our new friend mgnull.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:05 AM

Princhester got it. It was nice to hear Don Henley even use the phrase on the Netflix documentery, although he said, "The Mighty Led Zeppelin"
Old 08-15-2015, 09:26 AM

sorry for the harsh posts

and yes, the word of the songwriter would generally be far more credible than 10th grade hillbillies

and my point was not that writing a song about writing a song is unreasonable

but that that is not what this song is about

zeppelin never admitted to the backward masking of "here's to my sweet satan" either

and I'd love not for it to be true, but when you reverse the track, there it is....
Old 08-15-2015, 09:58 AM

the song is amazing regardless and even if Lamm is being totally honest rather than just responsibly not feeding into the whole drugs and rock paradigm that doesn't preclude folks who've actually done acid to hear something completely different in the song and it also doesn't preclude Lamm's muse from channeling something into the song on top of what he thought he was writing about
Old 08-15-2015, 10:19 AM

for some odd reason it is only now in 2015 that i learned that Lamm has always claimed this was about writing a song, but Pete sure didn't execute the phrase as 25 or 6, to 4. no, it's phrased 25, or 6 to 4. maybe i'm reaching here, yep. definitely reaching, sorry

it's *kinda* like maybe googling the meaning of Gimme Shelter and finding out that no, it's not about vietnam and altimont because mick said it was about the barcelona bull runs and points to the lyric,

Ooh, see the fire is sweepin'
Our very street today
Burns like a red coal carpet
Mad bull lost it's way

Last edited by mgnull; 08-15-2015 at 10:22 AM..
Old 08-15-2015, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
and yes, the word of the songwriter would generally be far more credible than 10th grade hillbillies

but that that is not what this song is about.

One of these is NOT like the other.
Remember this motto to live by: Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather one should aim to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, glass of Scotch in the other, your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO! Man, what a ride!"
Old 08-15-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
sorry for the harsh posts
well, OK, but chill can you? don't be harshing my mellow!
Old 08-15-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieLikesVariety View Post
well, OK, but chill can you? don't be harshing my mellow!
I'd be happy if he's just learn how to use the shift key to make little letters into big letters, as in capitalization. It's just hard to believe anyone who lacks that talent.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
it's *kinda* like maybe googling the meaning of Gimme Shelter and finding out that no, it's not about vietnam and altimont because mick said it was about the barcelona bull runs and points to the lyric,

Ooh, see the fire is sweepin'
Our very street today
Burns like a red coal carpet
Mad bull lost it's way

Jagger said in a 1995 interview with Rolling Stone:

"Well, it's a very rough, very violent era. The Vietnam War. Violence on the screens, pillage and burning. And Vietnam was not war as we knew it in the conventional sense. The thing about Vietnam was that it wasn't like World War II, and it wasn't like Korea, and it wasn't like the Gulf War. It was a real nasty war, and people didn't like it. People objected, and people didn't want to fight it..." As for the song itself, he concluded, "That's a kind of end-of-the-world song, really. It's apocalypse; the whole record's like that."[3]

Similarly, on NPR in 2012:

"It was a very moody piece about the world closing in on you a bit...When it was recorded, early '69 or something, it was a time of war and tension, so that's reflected in this tune. It's still wheeled out when big storms happen, as they did the other week [during Hurricane Sandy]. It's been used a lot to evoke natural disaster."[4]

From Wiki.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
zeppelin never admitted to the backward masking of "here's to my sweet satan" either

and I'd love not for it to be true, but when you reverse the track, there it is....
No, it's not, unless it is what you want to hear.

Just like 25 or 6 to 4 isn't about LSD, unless you really want it to be.

Just like we landed on the moon, unless you really really want to believe we didn't.

Individuals can convince themselves anything is true despite the preponderance of evidence against their belief. So go on, keep insisting the birth certificate is false, and that the towers were a controlled explosion. And in another 3-4 years another spookeebitch will wander by and use that one other person out of dozens believes the falsehoods as proof that they are true.

Maybe instead of "It's Taking Longer Than We Thought" should change to "It's a Losing Battle".
Old 08-15-2015, 01:04 PM

I think it's about writing a song while on drugs.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:30 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
No it isn't...unless somebody already put it in your mind that it says that, and you listen really, really hard and have a vivid imagination. You can listen to it on this page.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Welcome to the SDMB.

Who, exactly, is "the mighty zep?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princhester View Post
Led Zeppelin
Quote:
Thank you, but with respect, I was asking our new friend mgnull.
Quote:
Princhester got it. It was nice to hear Don Henley even use the phrase on the Netflix documentery, although he said, "The Mighty Led Zeppelin"
Led Zepplin, eh?

Did they sing another song besides "Stairway to Heaven?"

Huh.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
No, it's not, unless it is what you want to hear.

Just like 25 or 6 to 4 isn't about LSD, unless you really want it to be.

Just like we landed on the moon, unless you really really want to believe we didn't.

Individuals can convince themselves anything is true despite the preponderance of evidence against their belief. So go on, keep insisting the birth certificate is false, and that the towers were a controlled explosion. And in another 3-4 years another spookeebitch will wander by and use that one other person out of dozens believes the falsehoods as proof that they are true.

Maybe instead of "It's Taking Longer Than We Thought" should change to "It's a Losing Battle".
What about "Puff the Magic Dragon?" That can still be about Mary Jay Wanna, right? C'mon, throw him a bone, here!!!
Old 08-15-2015, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

I'll concede Puff, and throw in Afternoon Delight as another 'subversive' song.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
What about "Puff the Magic Dragon?" That can still be about Mary Jay Wanna, right? C'mon, throw him a bone, here!!!
Everybody knows Mary Jane's Last Dance by Tom Petty is about pot, right?

"Last dance with Mary Jane,
One more time to kill the pain."

"It was too cold to cry when I woke up alone.
I hit the last number and walked to the road."
Old 08-15-2015, 06:19 PM

What in the world ever became of sweet Jane?
She lost her sparkle, you know she isn't the same
Livin' on reds, vitamin C, and cocaine,
All a friend can say is "Ain't it a shame?"

Grateful Dead - Truckin

It's about vitamin abuse I think. And global warming.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Everybody knows Mary Jane's Last Dance by Tom Petty is about pot, right?

"Last dance with Mary Jane,
One more time to kill the pain."

"It was too cold to cry when I woke up alone.
I hit the last number and walked to the road."
And here I thought it was about falling in love with Kim Bassinger's corpse.