Ask yesterday's colonoscopy recipient

Yes, I had my first anal penetration yesterday. Fire away!

What were your results?

What did you eat first when you finally could eat? :slight_smile:

How old are you?

I had 2 polyps removed. That’s very common. The doctor told me about two thirds of patients have at least 1 polyp to remove. They will be biopsied to determine if they are pre-cancerous. I don’t know those results yet.

The very first thing I ate was a chocolate-covered pretzel, with milk.

I am 50, and I have a sister who is still being treated for colon-rectal cancer. So, even if I had no polyps, the “schedule” says I should have this done every 5 years rather than every 10, because of the family history. Yet another thing to hold against my sister.

I got my first ass camera last year, at the tender age of 32. Certainly an unusual experience. At one point, I had to ask the nurse to back the camera out a little bit, as it was irritating my tonsils.

The gave me several pictures. I must say I have a beautiful colon! It gleams!

I had one a couple of years ago, but I remember waking up a little and complaining. No polyps or anything else wrong.

I had my first one a couple of months ago. I’m 56. A co-worker had one and it saved his life. Found some cancer that they removed before it got a chance to go somewhere else in his body.
I had been putting it off for five years… that was the Aha moment that made me get an appointment
No matter what everyone says to you, that it’s not that bad, that you won’t remember anything, that it’s a breeze, you won’t believe them, I didn’t, was worried sick about it.
I had it done, guess what? It WAS a breeze, nothing to worry about. In fact the only thing I remember was funny. I was in the recovery room with my wife (she drove me there) They won’t let you leave until you pass the air in your colon. There was 15 people in the room… all of us passing gas…it was such a wierd expereince that we ALL were laughing.
They found NOTHING in my intestines. Told me to come back in ten years.

That stuff they make you drink really cleans you out, huh? :smiley:

Were you awake through it all? Did they let you watch the video?

How euphemistic was the nurse when she told you that you had to fart? Did she tell you not to be embarassed because it was “the doctor’s air”?

There was a video where I could watch.

They told me I would get “conscious sedation”, using fentanyl(sp?) and something else that sounded something like vicodin but wasn’t (definitely started with a v). They told me there was a good likelihood I would forget what happened due to the nature of the drugs. I did forget, and I don’t know whether I was actually awake and forgot what I experienced, or they gave me a little more anesthesia than I needed and I actually passed out.

I’m pretty sure my own farting woke me up. They called it “passing gas”, and since they pumped my colon full of air, it would happen. But it wouldn’t be offensive, they said, because my colon would be clean and there would be nothing to foul the air. I didn’t smell anything, but I was very woozy, and I might have knocked down a nurse or two and never noticed.

They call the laxative “Go Lightly”, but it surely is undersold by that name. Actually, I was expecting the night before to be worse than it was. I’ve been ill and had worse diarrhea. I expected it to be more… violent and uncontrolled. But it wasn’t. By far the worst part was the taste. By the end of the gallon I was almost gagging.

The things some people do to get on TV!

I wonder how you could build a game show around this. I think it would involve stashing a prize, or maybe a map of some kind, up someone’s ass. I can almost hear Monty Hall – “Ass number 1, ass number 2, or ass number 3? Or you can settle for what we’ve hidden in the box the lovely Carol Merrill has right here.”

I found it a lovely little nap. I had Propopil or something…an IV drug that popped me right off. Due to my breast cancer I have to go again in five years, but I was pink and boring, apparently. (Oh, and I was in my own room, so no embarrassing episodes for any of the other patients to overhear.) There was a woman they had to take to the ER because I guess she couldn’t pass gas, and was having very uncomfortable stomach cramps.

Gallon?

The nurses were all very nice. They said I could watch the whole thing if I wanted to. I told them no thank you, I didn’t think I could handle watching it. The next thing I remember was looking at the TV screen and saying “Hey!! Is that me?” The nurse said yes it is. Seemed like ten seconds later it was over.
Later on I asked how long it took. The nurse said about twenty minutes and I came to at the very end of it. I was so zonked out that the images on the screen didn’t gross me out.
In the recovery room the nurse said the Doctors had to pump me up with air so they could see. I couln’t pass gas so she had me lie on my side and put a warm pillow on my stomach. Within ten seconds I was tooting like a horn… so was everyone in the room. My wife was laughing out load, so was I, so was everyone. No embarassment at all.
All of the medical people were ALL very professional about it and put my mind at ease.

That stuff they make you drink really cleans you out, huh?
You have to experence that stuff to believe it, lol. Dave Barry the writer had it right. You need a seatbelt on your toilet after you drink that stuff.

Technically, 4 liters. From 6-8 pm Thursday night 1 drank half, approx an 8 ounce glass every 15 minutes. From 6-8 am I drank the other half at the same rate. By about 10-1030 there was nothing left to, er, expel. The procedure happened about 130 pm and took about 30-45 minutes. I was back home about 330 pm.

I read that story and for me it wasn’t nearly that bad. I sat on the toilet until my ass almost went numb, but there was no need to. There was a – surge – feeling every maybe 10 or 15 minutes, but it was controllable. Once I had enough confidence that I wasn’t going to let loose blasts all over the place, I got up and moved around without any problems.

Really, the ER? I would think they could just stick in a straw.

Oh, boy, does it ever. I’ve had two colonoscopies performed. The 24 hours preceding the procedure are not fun. You better have a thick book or a TV in the bathroom, because you will spend a lot of time in there.

However, the post-operative procedure is fairly simple. They keep you around for a while until two things happen: 1) you are fairly coherent, indicating that the drugs have worn off and 2) you fart like an enraged bull elephant. Seems they pump nitrogen in there to expand the walls and get a better look, and they kinda prefer that you get rid of it while you’re still in the office.