Sixteenth Century Jokes

Ever hear someone say “That’s the oldest one in the book?” These jokes were taken more-or-less directly from The Book. Note well that 16th Century sensibilities were not refined, despite what some people conclude from their confused ideas about Puritans and Victorians. An example:

And this one is good:

(Both of those had their spelling much modernized. The next ones didn’t.)

That first one is pretty damn funny, actually!

Oh snap.

But… but… wait! That’s a Jewish joke, and it’s about a herring!

The one about the hangman is pretty cute.

Aw, I think that one’s a little sad. Won’t someone think of the weauers?

In the version I heard, it was about intelligence-increasing pills that looked suspiciously like rabbit-droppings. (Punchline: You’re getting smarter with each pill!)

I have a copy of a reprinting of the first edition of Joe Miller’s Jokes from Dover. it dates back to the 18th century. Although a slim volume, it was added to over the years to become a thick tome. British actor Joe Miller had nothing to do with even the original edition – they just borrowed his name. The closest he comes is that he’s supposedly involved in three or so of the jokes. Refined most of these efforts are not. but some are funny.

If you’re looking for old, though, check out the Exeter Book Riddles, dating from c. 975 AD. I’ve got a penguin edition of these, but they’re now online:

http://www.technozen.com/exeter/