The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 05-02-2009, 05:36 PM

What To Do With Frozen Peas?

I have an enormous bag of frozen peas from Costco and need to make freezer space. My usual way to handle them is to just boil them and drizzle them in butter, but I think I'm going to need some variety. Suggestions?
Advertisements  
Old 05-02-2009, 05:37 PM

Pea soup?
Old 05-02-2009, 06:05 PM

Nope, pea soup is made with dried peas.

Put them on a black eye! I have an extra if you need one.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:07 PM

This is stolen from Top Chef, but it is ridiculously easy. Take that butter and a lemon. Soften some butter with fifteen seconds in the microwave and squeeze some lemon juice in. Use a peeler to add some lemon zest as well. Finally take some fresh tarragon which you can find in a little plastic sleeve in most grocery stores. Chop a couple of table spoons of tarragon, add some salt and pepper and let it all melt over the hot peas. Somehow the lemon tang with the tarragon is a great combination and transforms ordinary peas into a dish you will want to make.

It takes about ten minutes to boot.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:52 PM

You'd be surprised at how good green pea and mint pesto is. Goes great with any type of pasta.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:54 PM

I have a medium-sized bag of peas in my freezer to use as a cold pack when an injury occurs. These two-year old "ouchie peas" have been used and refrozen several times, and are distinct from the oft replaced bag of "eating peas" but that's probably not what you're looking for.

If you can't use up your frozen peas, save them for a cold pack.

In other words, I've got nothing for you. Ought to delete this post instead of posting it. What the hell . . .
Old 05-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

'You eat every carrot and pea on your plate!'

My dad used to make peas-and-cheese salad. He used canned peas, but you can use thawed frozen ones. Mix pea-sized cubes of cheddar cheese, peas, and Miracle Whip together. Chill and eat. The other day a friend told me a similar recipe, which reminded me of dad's. His had more ingredients, and used mayonnaise and other stuff as the 'dressing'.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissener View Post
Nope, pea soup is made with dried peas.
The problem with fresh pea soup is that many people consider it a waste of fresh peas; that's why they make soup with dried peas and use fresh in other dishes. But obviously you can make pea soup with fresh or frozen peas as well as dried peas. Green pea soup: Saute some onion in butter. Cook up a mess of peas, add the onion, and blend them up with an immersion blender. Add vegetable stock until the soup thickness is where you want it, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Add whatever herbs or flavorings you like; I like tarragon with peas, as well as chives (if you're fond of more onion flavor). I don't like garlic with peas, but that's a personal thing.

You can also use the same rough recipe to just make mashed peas (just omit the vegetable stock). Or you can do a mash of one-half potatoes and one-half peas, which is quite tasty, especially with lots of butter.

A common pasta dish with peas is pasta with prociutto and peas in a garlic cream sauce -- delicious, and there are about 100 recipes for it on the web.

Peas also can have a fairly central role in meat stews or shepherd's pie.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
A common pasta dish with peas is pasta with prociutto and peas in a garlic cream sauce -- delicious, and there are about 100 recipes for it on the web.
Now that is tasty!

FWIW, I use mixed veg in my shepherd's pie.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:34 PM

My mom used to make creamed English peas (green peas for the non-hillfolk) and pearl onions when peas were coming on in the garden. I've made it using frozen peas and it still tastes good. Just cook the pearl onions and peas until tender and mix with a medium white sauce. Sometimes, she used to put a few new potatoes into the mix too. Goes well with roast chicken.

Last edited by missred; 05-02-2009 at 07:36 PM..
Old 05-02-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
My dad used to make peas-and-cheese salad. He used canned peas, but you can use thawed frozen ones. Mix pea-sized cubes of cheddar cheese, peas, and Miracle Whip together. Chill and eat. The other day a friend told me a similar recipe, which reminded me of dad's. His had more ingredients, and used mayonnaise and other stuff as the 'dressing'.
This is my go-to summer salad -- it keeps really well. You can add chopped onion and celery and hard-cooked eggs to dress it up a bit. I like it better with frozen peas.

A local deli makes it but they won't tell me what they use for dressing. It's not Miracle Whip or mayo. It's yummy. Maybe it's yogurt, or sour cream and something.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:16 PM

The only thing I use frozen peas for: tuna casserole.

All you need are pasta, canned tuna, cream of mushroom soup, frozen peas, diced onion and a little seasoning. Maybe some bread crumbs (or those awful canned onions) on top.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
His had more ingredients, and used mayonnaise and other stuff as the 'dressing'.
My kids' granny taught me how to make the extended version. Boil pasta; drain and mix the frozen peas in with it (thaws the peas and cools the pasta at the same time). She used mayonnaise; I use mayo, a spoonful or two of Miracle Whip, also a few tablespoons of Ranch dressing. I also sprinkle some salad seasoning, salt & pepper in it. Add either the cubed cheese like you mentioned, or just use shredded. Cheddar is best but you can use the 'cheddar and monterey jack' which is popular. To be really fancy, add cubed ham.

Another thing you can do with peas is to make a curry and toss the peas off in it.

I also put peas in my fried rice.

Last edited by NinetyWt; 05-02-2009 at 08:47 PM..
Old 05-02-2009, 08:55 PM

I eat frozen peas straight out of the bag. Reasonably healthy as a snack, and super easy.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

I had them in Egg Foo Yung the other day. I used to think that it was a sign that a Chinese restaurant had given up trying when they started to use frozen peas, or worse, frozen peas and carrots, but they are so darned cute I understand now.

Personally, I cook frozen peas long enough that they start to resemble canned peas. I hate frozen peas.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:07 PM

Keep them in the freezer until someone you know has a vasectomy.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

*sigh*

Nobody ever laughs at the 'pea on your plate' joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyWt View Post
Cheddar is best but you can use the 'cheddar and monterey jack' which is popular.
My dad used shredded cheddar occasionally. Or if he decided to make in on a whim, he'd use diced Kraft American Cheese (not the 'cheese food').
Old 05-02-2009, 09:16 PM

Another pea salad:

Peas, finely diced ripe tomato, chopped green onions, parsley, olive oil, white wine vinegar, salt.

Last edited by teela brown; 05-02-2009 at 09:16 PM..
Old 05-02-2009, 09:22 PM

Mutter paneer, maybe?
Old 05-02-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
*sigh*

Nobody ever laughs at the 'pea on your plate' joke.
I didn't get it. It is funny. I'm stealing it.

My pea-disliking wife doesn't laugh when I implore her to just give peas a chance either.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:46 AM

Around here, frozen peas are usually an excuse to do Portuguese-style braised peas and chourico*.

Chop up a small onion and mince a couple of cloves of garlic. Cook these in a large skillet in some olive oil until they go soft, then add a sliced chourico sausage to the mix.

Continue cooking until your onions are golden, then add half a large can of chopped tomatoes and a few dashes of paprika. Bring this to a boil, and then cover the skillet and leave to simmer for 10-15 minutes to allow the flavours to blend.

Add three cups of frozen peas; cover and cook for 3-5 minutes, just long enough to warm the peas through and bring the mixture back to a simmer. Use a spoon to make four hollows in the mixture, and crack a fresh egg into each hollow. Cover and cook until the whites of the eggs are set. Serve with some toasted fresh bread to mop up sauce.

* Chourico is a dried and cured pork sausage - you can substitute Spanish-style chorizo, which is very very similar. However, don't try substituting with Mexican-style chorizo, because it has a totally different taste and texture due to the fact that it's uncured and made from ground meat instead of chunks.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

I like to add a handful to stew, right at the end. Tuna casserole, of course. I add them to homemade chicken pot pie, too.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:43 PM

I've made a pie with green peas a few times that was really good. Recipe was from one of John Thorne's excellent food books and was exactly like it sounds: make a flaky pie crust. Add frozen peas. Bake. If you like, you can add little bits of bacon or gribenes to the peas, too. It sounds weird, but it's not just me, it went over really well at a foodie potluck I attended.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HongKongFooey View Post
You'd be surprised at how good green pea and mint pesto is. Goes great with any type of pasta.
If you watch the food processor while you're making this, you can visualize whirled peas.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckafree View Post
If you watch the food processor while you're making this, you can visualize whirled peas.
Hahaha, I love it!
Old 05-03-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleciders View Post
I eat frozen peas straight out of the bag. Reasonably healthy as a snack, and super easy.
I thought I was the only person who did that!

As another poster said they are good in curries. & I cook them & let them cool, then add to my tuna salald.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:22 PM

Potato Soup with Indian Spices

2 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and quartered.
1 box frozen green peas (about 14 oz)
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp vegetable oil (or what you need to cover the bottom of your pot)
a pinch of ground asafetida
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp tumeric
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
5/4 tsp salt

Heat oil in 3-quart pot, put in asafetida and cumin seeds, stir once. In a few seconds, when cumin seeds begin to sizzle, at potatoes, tomato paste, tumeric, salt and cayenne. Stir and continue to fry for 2 minutes.

Add 4 cups of water (or a combination of water and vegetable broth - if using broth, consider whether or not it's salted and adjust the amount of salt you add accordingly.) If necessary, add more water to cover the potatoes. Cover pot and simmer for 45 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Mash the potatoes , then add the frozen peas and continue to simmer until they are heated through.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:58 AM
Creature of the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
The only thing I use frozen peas for: tuna casserole.

All you need are pasta, canned tuna, cream of mushroom soup, frozen peas, diced onion and a little seasoning. Maybe some bread crumbs (or those awful canned onions) on top.
Use cream of celery soup instead. You may add mushrooms, if you want, but the celery soup adds far more flavor.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:22 AM

http://images.chron.com/apps/comics/...uzzy.933.g.gif
Old 05-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

You're probably a female; but if you're male, you can get a vasectomy and hold them on your swollen nuts.

Or there's Italian Peas...

* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 onion, chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 16 ounces frozen green peas
* 1 tablespoon chicken stock
* salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

1. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic; cook about 5 minutes. Add frozen peas, and stir in stock. Season with salt and pepper. Cover, and cook until the peas are tender, about 10 minutes.

Last edited by Enright3; 05-04-2009 at 09:28 AM..
Old 05-04-2009, 10:14 AM

Three words:

Peas and prosciutto