Windshield Wiper Fluid Pump Stuck On

While out for a drive today, my wife sprayed wiper fluid on the windshield. It started spraying, and didn’t stop – damn thing stuck on, and no amount of fiddling with the control would stop it. Eventually it ran out of fluid, but you could still hear the pump motor running.

We’re taking it to the dealer in the morning, but I’m wondering – should I fill the washer reserve with water before we go? Basically, is it better or worse if the pump is actually pumping anything or not? I’d obviously rather not burn the pump out and have to have that part replaced, and I’m a bit unsure of which would be the better course here.

Can you get at the fuses? If so can you tell which one controls the pump? If so and it doesn’t also control something important, pull the fuse and let the repair guys know you did it.

Year, make and model please

It is usually fairly easy to find the pump. Just follow the squirt tubes until you come to a little boxy thing. It will have two rubber tubes going to the window and one tube going back to the reservoir. It will also have an electrical connector. Just unplug the connector and the pump won’t run.

Don’t know why I didn’t think of it, but that did the trick – thanks much!