The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Lamar Mundane Lamar Mundane is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 7,751
What's up with married people not wearing rings?

Is this something new? On my kids soccer team, there are four sets of parents who do not wear wedding rings, ever, on either of them. I know they are married. I'm wondering if it some religious thing as they all seem to be highly Christian. Maybe a bride of Christ thing?

I have never encountered this before the last few years (I know of some people who don't wear rings do to their jobs and such, but never both parents.)

As a single guy, this can cause great confusion, and danger.
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 05-29-2009, 12:20 PM
Unintentionally Blank Unintentionally Blank is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
I take my ring off quite often. Usually as I head out to the garage to work on the cars or use the lathe. It's why I still have all my fingers.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-29-2009, 12:28 PM
GaryM GaryM is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: St. Louis, MO 50mi. West
Posts: 3,381
I stopped wearing mine after the third or fourth time I got my finger caught on a tractor part or got gravel particles caught underneath. I also work with machine tools and the like. Not a good idea to wear a ring in those cases.

Been married 39 years too.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-29-2009, 12:32 PM
MeanOldLady MeanOldLady is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
I knew a woman who stopped wearing hers because she'd gotten to plump to fit into it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Lamar Mundane Lamar Mundane is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 7,751
OK, but it both parts of the couple are unlikely to encounter lathes and tractors while standing on the sidelines at a kids soccer game.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-29-2009, 12:33 PM
gonzomax gonzomax is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: michigan
Posts: 26,307
I do not wear rings, watches or jewelry. I never liked the feel.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Baracus Baracus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Do either of them have any other rings on?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Lamar Mundane Lamar Mundane is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 7,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baracus View Post
Do either of them have any other rings on?
I don't think so, but they do wear other jewelery (cross pendant).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-29-2009, 01:12 PM
sandra_nz sandra_nz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
I don't wear a ring because I don't like the way it feels. We still did the 'ring thing' at the ceremony, but I took it off at the end of the day and it's never been back on.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-29-2009, 01:16 PM
villa villa is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: True Blue Virginia
Posts: 7,622
I remember back when I got married, I was living in the US, but married an American in the States, and wedding rings were no where near as common for men in the UK as they seemed to be in the US. This was back in 1994. I know my father never wore a wedding ring from his marriage to my mother, and they married in 1964, I think.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Aangelica Aangelica is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
My mother doesn't wear a wedding ring for two reasons:

Firstly, she has contact metal allergies. Gold and platinum (the most popular wedding ring metals) cause her (and me) to break out in a really, really heinous and deeply uncomfortable rash that persists for a good 2 - 4 weeks after the offending metal has been removed from contact with the skin.* When she got married to my father (some 35 years ago this fall), wedding rings were basically only available in gold or platinum. After so many years, she's just not in the habit of wearing one.

Secondly, because rings do not stay on her fingers. She has small knuckles, so her fingers are essentially a narrow cone - a ring that fits the base of her finger (unless it's really uncomfortably tight) just slips right off the finger. After the hundredth time her wedding ring slid off her finger and she had to attempt to retreive it from wherever it went to (a sink of soapy water, under the refrigerator, some random spot in the front lawn, the bottom of the bathtub she was taking a bath in, into a jar of jam she was making, etc.), she gave it up as a bad job. She has several wedding rings - they just live on a peg next to the kitchen sink

My dad sometimes wears his wedding ring. If he's not planning to work with power tools or go out fishing in his boat or go work on his boat. Since he's a retired high school shop teacher who builds houses for people and fishes for hobbies, he's not wearing it more than he is.


*I had trouble with this myself. I ultimately located a sterling silver wedding band, but sweet Jesus it was a pain in the ass to find a wedding ring (or engagement ring) that didn't cause me to break out in a terrible rash. My husband are probably going to give each other tungsten bands for one of our major anniversaries because it's harder than the silver (which is looking kind of battered after only 4 years) and probably won't make me miserable every day.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Ephemera Ephemera is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandra_nz View Post
I don't wear a ring because I don't like the way it feels. We still did the 'ring thing' at the ceremony, but I took it off at the end of the day and it's never been back on.
Why do the ring ceremony at all then? Honest question.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-29-2009, 01:30 PM
Unintentionally Blank Unintentionally Blank is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Mundane View Post
OK, but it both parts of the couple are unlikely to encounter lathes and tractors while standing on the sidelines at a kids soccer game.
No, but they get taken off to do the dishes, work in the yard, etc. and people sometimes forget to put them back on.

The ring is the smallest part of the whole life-partner thing, and lots of people have lots of ways at looking at it. About the only way you can tell you're gonna die or not is when the husband walks in on you and her and shoots...or applauds.

Or you know, she says she's married.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-29-2009, 01:31 PM
Swallowed My Cellphone Swallowed My Cellphone is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanOldLady View Post
I knew a woman who stopped wearing hers because she'd gotten to plump to fit into it.
Similarly, my co-worker never wears her wedding ring because she lost weight and keeps losing the thing down the drain, under the fridge, in the filing cabinet, in her car...

My girlfriend and I got cute engagement ring things (cheap and goofy) but the rings pissed both of us off too much because of our activity levels. Either they weren't safe to wear for a particular sport or home renos (hellooooooo de-gloving injury waiting to happen!), or they would just get all slimey from sweat when you're running. Or you'd take it off and forget it somewhere, or what you were doing was too dirty to wear a ring (eg/ kneading dough). Bah! Don't want to wear a ring.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Dangerosa Dangerosa is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
I break out from mine, so I'll wear it intermittently. Right now, no ring and a rash. But I will be able to wear it for weeks at a time.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Shot From Guns Shot From Guns is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
1.) When my folks were still married, Dad stopped wearing a ring after his was stolen. (Forgot it on a sink at work after washing his hands, was gone when he went back, no one ever returned it.)

2.) On the subject of, shall we say, "outgrowing" your wedding ring... My maternal grandmother's wedding ring was inscribed inside the band with "I pledge to thee my fidelity." As she got older and put on weight, she had the ring stretched, which erased the "-ity" from the last word. There is now an ongoing family joke she has custody of Grandpa's fiddle.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Man With a Cat Man With a Cat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: where you least expect me
Posts: 7,495
I take mine off every night, and depending what's going on that day, I may not put it on. Any kind of manual labor - yard work, going to the gym, a bike ride, even golf and I won't wear it.

Some days I just plain forget to put it on.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-29-2009, 01:46 PM
gwendee gwendee is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Charm City
Posts: 3,488
Mu husband told me before we got married that he doesn't like the feel of a ring on, and that he would be likey not to wear it. I asked him to let me buy one anyway. He wore it for about a week.

I take mine off frequently because it interferes with tools I use at work - either it's uncomfortably in the way or I'm afraid it will get scratched up. I take it off at home when working with certain art materials or cleaning solutions.

I often leave it on my dressing table or on the parking spot I made for it at work. When I'm out and about and not wearing it I do get that "Hey somehting's missing" feeling.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-29-2009, 02:01 PM
Guinastasia Guinastasia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
My grandfather never wore his because he was a deliverary man for a dairy company. Mostly he delivered those big tubs of ice cream to parlors, and didn't want to catch it in the metal rims.
__________________
If the shoe fits, buy it in every color.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-29-2009, 02:12 PM
ZipperJJ ZipperJJ is offline
And Finn The Human
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 19,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shot From Guns View Post
2.) On the subject of, shall we say, "outgrowing" your wedding ring... My maternal grandmother's wedding ring was inscribed inside the band with "I pledge to thee my fidelity." As she got older and put on weight, she had the ring stretched, which erased the "-ity" from the last word. There is now an ongoing family joke she has custody of Grandpa's fiddle.
Hehehehe
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-29-2009, 02:29 PM
GargoyleWB GargoyleWB is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
I take mine off most of the time, gripping my bicycle bars or apparatus bars at the gym pinches and blisters my finger if I wear the ring.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Hal Briston Hal Briston is offline
Smart, Hip, Dipstick
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: A nice chunk o' NJ
Posts: 14,049
My wife and I have discussed ditching the rings and getting ring tattoos. After all, we're permanent, so why not have permanent rings? Plus, I find rings damn uncomfortable, as does she. Nearly 10 years later, and I'm still not really used to it.

Plus there was the little "incident" that happened to me this afternoon:
I was hanging a door back on its hinges. I held it by its sides and with great difficultly I finally managed to get it lined up properly so it could drop into place. Trouble was, my left hand was the one holding the side next to the door frame. My fingers fit in that space, but my ring didn't. Plus, I've put on enough weight since my wedding that my ring doesn't come off.

Took me 20 minutes to wriggle my way out of that one.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Kalhoun Kalhoun is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Neither my husband nor my father wear a wedding ring. My wedding set no longer fits so I wear my anniversary ring as a wedding ring. To each his own, I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Shot From Guns Shot From Guns is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Briston View Post
My wife and I have discussed ditching the rings and getting ring tattoos.
Okay, I KNOW I just posted a reply to this along the lines of "Don't do it, relationship-related tattoos of any kind are the kiss of death," but now it's not showing up when I came back to see another new post. How bizarre.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Broomstick Broomstick is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 19,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Mundane View Post
Is this something new? On my kids soccer team, there are four sets of parents who do not wear wedding rings, ever, on either of them. I know they are married. I'm wondering if it some religious thing as they all seem to be highly Christian. Maybe a bride of Christ thing?
Well, I know the Amish as a general rule don't have wedding rings. But then, they pretty much don't have any jewelry.

Me, I'm not Amish. I'm not Christian. I've also never worn jewelry much, I work a great deal with my hands, including with tools that make wearing rings hazardous, and thus I just opted out of the whole ring thing.

Quote:
I have never encountered this before the last few years (I know of some people who don't wear rings do to their jobs and such, but never both parents.)
I've been married for 20 years, neither of us have worn a ring during those years. Granted, it was even more unusual back then, but it's hardly this year's fad.

Quote:
As a single guy, this can cause great confusion, and danger.
As a formerly single woman, and a currently married one, it pisses me off no end when I see a man angling to get a look at my left hand. ASK ME, DAMMIT! Is it really that difficult to speak to a woman? Seriously? WHY do people have to make this more complicated than necessary?

As a corollary - if I state I'm married/unavailable then I'm unavailable. Period. Jokes about "well, how married are you? Hur hur guffaw" will move you permanently into the "wouldn't date him if he were the last man left alive, would opt for a goat instead" category which, just in case you weren't clear on it, is worse than the "friend zone".
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Shot From Guns Shot From Guns is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
As a formerly single woman, and a currently married one, it pisses me off no end when I see a man angling to get a look at my left hand. ASK ME, DAMMIT! Is it really that difficult to speak to a woman? Seriously? WHY do people have to make this more complicated than necessary?
Perhaps because they'd feel rude if the exchange were to go something like, "Are you married?" "Yes." "Nevermind. *walks away*"

Quote:
As a corollary - if I state I'm married/unavailable then I'm unavailable. Period. Jokes about "well, how married are you? Hur hur guffaw" will move you permanently into the "wouldn't date him if he were the last man left alive, would opt for a goat instead" category which, just in case you weren't clear on it, is worse than the "friend zone".
Well, that's you. Some people do have open marriages. Of course, anyone using that particular joke is probably just one of those people who thinks they're much more clever and funny than they actually are. But still, it makes more sense to be disgusted with them for being morons than for asking the terms of your marriage.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Snickers Snickers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Seventh Day Adventists generally don't wear jewelry. I think I remember that wedding bands are exempt and allowed (if usually frowned down upon - the Adventists are pretty dogmatic), but there's certainly lots that don't wear them. The accepted engagement exchange is a nice watch - if it's functional, it doesn't count as jewelry. (Don't ask me, I just grew up in that church.)

My Dad hasn't worn a wedding ring in like ever - he's a doctor and was afraid he'd leave it on the counter after washing up for surgery. Since surgery's a pretty regular thing for him, he just never wore it. It never upset my mother at all (probably because she knew why he didn't wear it.)
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-29-2009, 04:49 PM
ftg ftg is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
I have relatives that belong to a Christian Holiness group and they don't allow jewelry, including wedding rings. So I never saw the point of them and don't wear one. (I also go one better: I consider a wristwatch jewelry and don't wear one.)

Wedding rings for the ordinary folk is a relatively new concept and one shouldn't assume that they are somehow an important legacy of our culture.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-29-2009, 04:54 PM
Elyanna Elyanna is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
I know a couple who have done the wedding-ring tattoo thing.

On the other side of the spectrum, my father says he never takes his off.

I take my engagement ring off to shower and cook.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Lamar Mundane Lamar Mundane is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 7,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post

As a formerly single woman, and a currently married one, it pisses me off no end when I see a man angling to get a look at my left hand. ASK ME, DAMMIT! Is it really that difficult to speak to a woman? Seriously? WHY do people have to make this more complicated than necessary?
Because asking a woman you've just met if she's married displays a serious deficiency of tact, and that is something I posess.

I should have titled this "Why do some married couples not wear wedding rings, because that's what I really was asking.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 05-29-2009, 04:58 PM
sinjin sinjin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
I wear mine sometimes. If I take it off I forget to put it back on......for months. The singuy doesn't wear his at all, it got a little tight. Mine is way cooler than his anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Roadfood Roadfood is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesiron View Post
Why do the ring ceremony at all then? Honest question.
(I'm not the one you were asking, but since the question applies to me as well) Why have a wedding at all? Just do a civil ceremony at the court house. My wife and I wanted to have a wedding, and the ring thing is part of the ceremony, so we did it. But I haven't worn my ring since because I just don't like wearing rings. It's really nothing more complicated than that. I told my wife before we got married that I probably wouldn't wear the ring and she said, "I know". Funnily enough, absolutely no one that I know, family, friends, co-workers, casual acquaintances, not one person has ever asked me why I don't wear my wedding ring.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Markxxx Markxxx is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 14,962
My father didn't wear his wedding band. I'm 44 and a lot of men when I was a kid, didn't wear wedding bands. My mum didn't wear her wedding band, but she had a diamond ring that she wore. I guess it went with the band.

Last edited by Markxxx; 05-29-2009 at 05:41 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Hal Briston Hal Briston is offline
Smart, Hip, Dipstick
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: A nice chunk o' NJ
Posts: 14,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shot From Guns View Post
Okay, I KNOW I just posted a reply to this along the lines of "Don't do it, relationship-related tattoos of any kind are the kiss of death," but now it's not showing up when I came back to see another new post. How bizarre.
Could've added you to the chorus of friends who told me getting my then-fiancé's name tattooed on my arm was a sure-fire recipe for disaster. Of course, that was over ten years ago, and each of those friends has since gotten married and divorced while my wife and I have a stronger relationship than ever. I'm not particularly worried about it.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Man With a Cat Man With a Cat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: where you least expect me
Posts: 7,495
Counter-OP:

What's up with assuming married people must wear a ring?

Not being argumentative, I know there's a social 'expectation' of a ring, but - why?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-29-2009, 06:54 PM
Dallas Jones Dallas Jones is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
My wife and I both take off and put back on our rings daily. She works with machinery and if she didn't leave the rings at home it would be dangerous to her and someone might find a diamond in their package of toilet paper. Mine is tungsten carbide and scratch proof (almost) but I don't wear it when I am working on things either.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-29-2009, 06:57 PM
FoieGrasIsEvil FoieGrasIsEvil is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Nasty Nati
Posts: 14,883
My wedding band is too tight and causes my left hand to get numb and tingly, especially while driving (steering wheel deathgrip?).

But I and the wife do wear ours when we go out together, for some unspoken reason, or we wear them when we're going out drinking without each other.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-29-2009, 07:37 PM
Ephemera Ephemera is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadfood View Post
(I'm not the one you were asking, but since the question applies to me as well) Why have a wedding at all? Just do a civil ceremony at the court house. My wife and I wanted to have a wedding, and the ring thing is part of the ceremony, so we did it. But I haven't worn my ring since because I just don't like wearing rings. It's really nothing more complicated than that. I told my wife before we got married that I probably wouldn't wear the ring and she said, "I know". Funnily enough, absolutely no one that I know, family, friends, co-workers, casual acquaintances, not one person has ever asked me why I don't wear my wedding ring.
Right. But weddings can be personalized, and though it doesn't vex me, I don't understand why you just don't forego that the same way a lot of people forego the "love, honor, and obey" bit. Why include something you don't like?
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-29-2009, 08:00 PM
Broomstick Broomstick is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 19,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shot From Guns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick
As a formerly single woman, and a currently married one, it pisses me off no end when I see a man angling to get a look at my left hand. ASK ME, DAMMIT! Is it really that difficult to speak to a woman? Seriously? WHY do people have to make this more complicated than necessary?
Perhaps because they'd feel rude if the exchange were to go something like, "Are you married?" "Yes." "Nevermind. *walks away*"
Oh, please - you think I don't know what's up when you're looking for a ring on my left hand? Ask "Are you married?", then I say "Yes", then you say "Ah, well - I'm looking for a girlfriend." and I say "Good luck - hope you find one soon." THEN you walk away. I understand you want to spend your time and energy on someone unavailable, it won't crush my little feminine ego. It's the "nevermind"+walk away than says you don't consider women useful as anything other than sex toys (I'm going to assume you don't really feel that way, it's just that's how it comes across) whereas an extra 30 seconds will allow you to extract yourself from the conversation with grace and tact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shot From Guns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick
As a corollary - if I state I'm married/unavailable then I'm unavailable. Period. Jokes about "well, how married are you? Hur hur guffaw" will move you permanently into the "wouldn't date him if he were the last man left alive, would opt for a goat instead" category which, just in case you weren't clear on it, is worse than the "friend zone".
Well, that's you. Some people do have open marriages.
Yes, but most don't.

Quote:
Of course, anyone using that particular joke is probably just one of those people who thinks they're much more clever and funny than they actually are.
And you are correct - it is the "joking" aspect that makes it offensive.

Quote:
But still, it makes more sense to be disgusted with them for being morons than for asking the terms of your marriage.
It shouldn't surprise anyone that the default marriage terms in the western world is monogamy, i.e. NOT open. Now, I tell someone I'm married and they say "Is it an open marriage?" with a slightly hopeful but sincere tone I'm not going to get in a huff. It's the frackin' joking crap that ticks me off, like the terms of my marriage aren't important, it's just for laffs.

In fact, on occasion I HAVE had polite inquiries as to whether or not my marriage is open, and I responded politely and sincerely in kind. Oddly enough, they were all very direct "Is your marriage open?" rather than "How married are you?" inquiries. Again, asking a direct question frequently gets you a better answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Mundane View Post
Because asking a woman you've just met if she's married displays a serious deficiency of tact, and that is something I posess.
It does? Funny, I meet new people all the time, they ask me "Are you married?", "Do you have children?", "Do you live around here?" Since when is asking if a woman is married offensive?

Now, asking it while drooling and oogling her secondary sexual characteristics... that's definitely off. But why would a woman be offended if you ask her whether or not she's married? I didn't find it offensive before I was married, I don't find it offensive now.

Quote:
I should have titled this "Why do some married couples not wear wedding rings, because that's what I really was asking.
Well, OK - the main reason is that neither my husband nor I wear any other jewelry, and we've both had jobs where wearing rings were dangerous due to machinery we were using, so we just didn't see the point in sinking money into rings neither of us were going to wear.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-29-2009, 10:16 PM
rolandgunslinger rolandgunslinger is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
I cant wear mine at work. I could lose a finger.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 05-29-2009, 11:25 PM
BrassyPhrase BrassyPhrase is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
I am not married, so it's not an issue for me.

My folks are, and oddly enough? married for 40 years and don't hate each other.

They did get rings but they were craptacular things that 18 yo could get at the time. My mom did get a fancier one with a diamond ring later. She wore it twice and then just put it in a box. They aren't that type of people.

For a while she did wear a band, but at that time she worked in a schmoozy boozy -type environment as a business model. (She wasn't a model. It was the petro industry.)


So she'd go out for a three margarita lunch and get hit on when she had the ring on. And it was annoying to her.

So she stopped wearing it. And was left alone.

An adult single woman? Run Away!

And she never put it back on. Not b/c she's not happy to be married but all the stuff that people here have said.

It's uncomfortable. Her hands swell. She later started her own business that involved a lot of physical activity, and she didn't want to be injured.


If I do get married to the SO, I'd probably get the tattoo ring, b/c my fingers swell up.

Last edited by BrassyPhrase; 05-29-2009 at 11:26 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-30-2009, 12:45 AM
Miss Woodhouse Miss Woodhouse is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
My parents didn't wear their rings for many years. My father lost his in the first year of marriage and asked that it not be replaced because he didn't like the feel of it anyway. (and then spent most of his life in a manual labor job and doing wood working as a hobby so it wouldn't have been safe anyway.) My mother's ring was lost by my little sister about 20 years ago. It broke my mom's heart, but my dad didn't get around to replacing it with another ring for about 15 years. In case you couldn't guess, he's not big in the romance department.

I don't wear mine because it doesn't fit anymore. I'll just let you all assume it's because I shrunk because that sounds so much nicer.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 05-30-2009, 09:40 PM
MN_Maenad MN_Maenad is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 524
We decided not to wear ours until SSM is legal in our state.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 05-30-2009, 09:57 PM
Mahaloth Mahaloth is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 22,108
I wear mine when I go out....for awhile. I don't wear it at home or if I run out quickly to the store. I wear it when I feel like I'm going somewhere people will see me.

Is it a big deal?
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-30-2009, 11:26 PM
madmonk28 madmonk28 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Neither my wife or I wore one for about 8 years. I figured, we both know we're married, what's the point. We got rings this year (thanks in part to advice I got here). I honestly don't see the point, when I type there is this little sweaty hunk of metal screwing up my writing flow and it's an expensive piece of crap I have to worry about losing, which I don't even like that much to begin with.

I also am a little uncomfortable with the enforced conformance of it all. You're married and you have to wear this ring. I get back by wearing it on the wrong hand.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 05-31-2009, 02:32 AM
sandra_nz sandra_nz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesiron View Post
Why do the ring ceremony at all then? Honest question.
Well I was going to try to keep wearing it, but it was just so damned uncomfortable. I think, having played the piano quite seriously for around 20 years has just made me very conscious about anything on my fingers.

My husband still wears his ring.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05-31-2009, 08:12 AM
Broomstick Broomstick is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 19,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I wear mine when I go out....for awhile. I don't wear it at home or if I run out quickly to the store. I wear it when I feel like I'm going somewhere people will see me.

Is it a big deal?
To some people, apparently. Once or twice I've been accused of trying to "trick" men by not wearing a ring but discussing those incidents would be a Pit rant so I won't go into it here. Suffice to say there are some people with very rigid notions of how things should be done and they don't give a hoot if there's a good reason to change a custom, nor do they seem to understand that their customs are not universal.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05-31-2009, 08:44 AM
fachverwirrt fachverwirrt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
I got into the habit of taking mine off at home and wearing it when I was out. The pattern was so familiar that while I felt really odd if was out without it, as soon as I got home it started bothering me.

Now I don't wear it at all because it was lost in a flood last Wednesday.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 05-31-2009, 10:54 AM
Dublin11 Dublin11 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Mundane View Post
Is this something new? On my kids soccer team, there are four sets of parents who do not wear wedding rings, ever, on either of them. I know they are married. I'm wondering if it some religious thing as they all seem to be highly Christian. Maybe a bride of Christ thing?

I have never encountered this before the last few years (I know of some people who don't wear rings do to their jobs and such, but never both parents.)

As a single guy, this can cause great confusion, and danger.
Danger? That's a bit melodramatic, isn't it?
What's dangerous about it for you?
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 05-31-2009, 10:56 AM
TheFaerie TheFaerie is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Just on the Other Side
Posts: 709
I wear mine nearly every day, but I take it off at night because I don't like the constricting feeling when I'm trying to sleep. Plus I joke that I'm afraid I'll put my eye out with the diamond. On weekends I may forget to put it back on, but mostly I wear it all the time. I don't take it off to wash my hands, do dishes, use cleaning products, etc. because it (still) fits well and it's created from gold, platinum, diamonds and sapphires, and mankind has not made a household cleaning agent that will destroy those things. It's beautiful, I'm proud of it and it's one of the few vanity pieces I wear. I'll probably not wear it when I remodel my sewing room, though, just so it doesn't get paint, wallpaper glue and whatnot in it, and I know better than to wear jewelry when using power tools.
Interestingly, though, I get way more compliments on the sterling pendants I wear every day.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.