The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 05-31-2009, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Nude swimming lessons at the Y?!

Apparently, swimming lessons were given at the YMCA - back in the day - with both instructor(s) and class in the nude. I don't know why they wouldn't wear bathing suits. It seems very strange to me, and I hope that doesn't brand me as prudish or anything - it just seems strange.

Anyone have any experience with this, or could confirm it? One of my brothers did confirm that nude swims were par at the YMCA, of course not when they were open for family swim or for women/girls to be there. Heh.

Color me ... confused is probably the closest.
Advertisements  
Old 05-31-2009, 03:03 PM

Males used to have to conform to certain Spartan ideals regarding exercise. This was one.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Young man, there's a place you can go.
I said, young man, when you're short on your dough.
You can stay there, and I'm sure you will find
Many ways to have a good time.

It's fun to stay at the Y-M-C-A.
It's fun to stay at the Y-M-C-A.

They have everything that you need to enjoy,
You can hang out with all the boys ...
Old 05-31-2009, 03:41 PM

We've had discussions about nude swimming classes at high schools as well as the Y on this Board before, and people havve substantiated it with cites. It surprises me -- we always used suits at our Y, and I'd never seen pictures of nude swimming before, or heard of it.

Actually, the idea of high school swimming is pretty cool, and goes back quite a ways in many towns. I would've killed to have it n our school. Nude or not.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:46 PM
Prickly

Funny, we were just talking about this today at my great-nieces bday party. (weird, huh?). My BIL did this in college swimming back in the early 70s. He was taking lifeguard lessons and they all had to swim nude!
Old 05-31-2009, 03:51 PM

Schools used to do it too. It simply wasn't though necessary for males to wear bathing suits when no females were present. Women & girls were supposed to be modest, men & boys weren't supposed to give a damn if someone saw them naked. There were hygienic reasons as well; swimsuits used to be made of wool and pool filters couldn't handle that. No dealing with wet suits left in lockers or people wearing dirty suits in the pool. Pre-pool showering used to be enforced more as well. According to my father nobody (boys, teachers, or parents) thought it was a big deal.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:17 PM

Yep. Saw it in the early 70's. It was just normal. No fibers for the pool filter from the older/basic natural-fiber material, and there were no plastic shopping bags to throw your wet stuff into....and no Rubbermain containers!

I heard it was done in all boys schools just for the reasons above, too.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon918 View Post
Apparently, swimming lessons were given at the YMCA - back in the day - with both instructor(s) and class in the nude. I don't know why they wouldn't wear bathing suits. It seems very strange to me, and I hope that doesn't brand me as prudish or anything - it just seems strange.

Anyone have any experience with this, or could confirm it? One of my brothers did confirm that nude swims were par at the YMCA, of course not when they were open for family swim or for women/girls to be there. Heh.

Color me ... confused is probably the closest.
In most non-competitive indoor swimming scenarios the only practical reason for wearing a suit is that women might see you. In non-female environments why bother?

Last edited by astro; 05-31-2009 at 05:22 PM..
Old 05-31-2009, 05:51 PM

I don't particularly want anybody seeing me naked.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Carrot View Post
I don't particularly want anybody seeing me naked.
Social attitudes about male nudity have become increasingly restrictive over the last 50 years: look at how shorts have gotten longer, for example. Also, you rarely see men in public--even in their front yards--without a shirt. I noticed a few years back that people that play pick-up games like Ultimate now carry 2 shirts with them, a dark and a light, for when they divide into teams. Just a decade ago, it was more likely to be "shirts" vs. "skins".
Old 05-31-2009, 07:03 PM

We had mandatory nude swimming in high school (early 60s). Only the boys; girls had a different pool and wore suits & caps.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Actually, the idea of high school swimming is pretty cool, and goes back quite a ways in many towns. I would've killed to have it n our school. Nude or not.
Each semester we had swimming every day for 6 weeks. It was mandatory, and you couldn't graduate if you didn't know how to swim.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

My HS didn't have a pool and therefore no swimming; we only belonged to the Y for a short time (jr. high years for me). It's funny that one brother remembers the nude swims and the other brother doesn't--both of them (they're 11 months apart in age) took lessons together, at the same Y.

I've since read on other forums (a link provided me by one of my brothers) about gym classes held in the nude - instructor also nude. Okay, that is beyond the border in my book. Especially if it's an all-boy school. Good Og!
Old 05-31-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Each semester we had swimming every day for 6 weeks. It was mandatory, and you couldn't graduate if you didn't know how to swim.
We had the same thing at MIT.

But the closest institutional pool to my high school was miles away.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon918 View Post
I've since read on other forums (a link provided me by one of my brothers) about gym classes held in the nude - instructor also nude. Okay, that is beyond the border in my book. Especially if it's an all-boy school. Good Og!
Why? Because it'll devolve into an aquatic fuckfest? Because it'll turn them into fags?

You say you don't want to come off as prudish, but then you say such silly, silly things like this.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

I was going to ask about the YWCA, but it was addressed in post #6.

But I'd still like to have a box lunch at the Y.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy_Gibbler View Post
Why? Because it'll devolve into an aquatic fuckfest? Because it'll turn them into fags?

You say you don't want to come off as prudish, but then you say such silly, silly things like this.
I just don't see any reason why a PE class would need to be taught in the nude ... to students also nude. That is why it is beyond the border, imnsho apparently. A teacher is also a person of authority, which can be used the wrong way.

I'll grant that my idea of modesty probably differs from others--but nude gym class is beyond a modesty issue with me. LOL
Old 05-31-2009, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Nude swimming for males sure was the norm at the Y in my youth. There was no stigma or thoughts that it would lead to any sort of heightened sexuality.

Actually, I prefer to swim nude. It increases the feeling of freedom that swimming and paddling around gives in the first place. Good thing for the neighbors that my backyard has high fences.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:57 AM

A nude gym class sounds painful — too much flippy floppy, you know?
Old 06-01-2009, 03:08 AM

Quote:

Dial back the crazy just a little bit. Why would asking about nude swimming at the Y (which is seen as very irregular today) be seen as prudish? I'd say anyone born in the last 40 years would have no idea such a thing ever occured and being dumbfounded at students forced to take a swim class in the nude... taught by nude teachers... is a pretty understandable reaction.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:17 AM

Nude swimming was the norm for men and boys for thousands of years. The men's swimsuit wasn't invented until the 19th century, but even then was used only when swimming in mixed company. It has only been since the 1960s that swimsuit wearing has predominated in even all-male settings.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:30 AM
BANNED

Yeah I've heard of it into the 70s. We didn't have a pool at our school but others did this.

But then again we had to take showers at school (that's another thread)

I think it was somewhat more common to swim naked in outdoor areas, like lakes, so this was seen as an extention. You always here jokes on TV shows from the 50s and 60s where guys swim with no suits. So it was there.

I think part of it is also guys will dare each other. I recall when I was the night manager at a hotel, we had a pool outside and I got there at 10:30pm and I pick up the phone and a near hysterical woman is yelling "AH, there's naked men in the pool." I'm like "great way to start my shift."

So I go down to the pool and there are 4 BOYS about 10 years old and I they're in the water and I'm like "Are you naked in there." They're half smiling and say "No," I reply, "then why are you're swimsuits on the chairs."

I smiled at them and told them to put their trunks on if they want to swim at the pool.

Now you just know one of the boys dared the others to swim naked. So you know guys even young ones will do this.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:03 AM

For the record: our swimming teacher was not nude, just the kids. Except once, when he had trouble explaining how to do something, so he just stripped and dove in.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walloon View Post
A nude gym class sounds painful — too much flippy floppy, you know?
Only swimming lessons were in the nude. It's not schools used to have boys playing basketball or wrestling naked (now that's homoerotic).

Last edited by alphaboi867; 06-01-2009 at 09:10 AM..
Old 06-01-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Schools used to do it too. It simply wasn't though necessary for males to wear bathing suits when no females were present. Women & girls were supposed to be modest, men & boys weren't supposed to give a damn if someone saw them naked. There were hygienic reasons as well; swimsuits used to be made of wool and pool filters couldn't handle that. No dealing with wet suits left in lockers or people wearing dirty suits in the pool. Pre-pool showering used to be enforced more as well. According to my father nobody (boys, teachers, or parents) thought it was a big deal.
My dad said they did the nekkid swimming at Lane Tech high school back in the 40s. That's just how it was done.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:

Well, is it prudish to think it's weird for women to also be nude for swimming? if so, what's the difference, now that we're culturally enlightened enough to know that the whole women are more modest thing is bunk?
Old 06-01-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian Slit View Post
Well, is it prudish to think it's weird for women to also be nude for swimming? if so, what's the difference, now that we're culturally enlightened enough to know that the whole women are more modest thing is bunk?
If the ladies want to swim naked, more power to them, I say.

To the poster who asked me to "dial back the crazy": I'm sorry, but I just don't think that nude swimming classes, or naked people in general, are that wacky or potentially harmful ... no matter how many ominous italics and ellipses you use.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:50 AM

Howabout if you got an erection? (You know everyone here is wondering about that, but afraid to ask)

Last edited by joebuck20; 06-01-2009 at 09:50 AM..
Old 06-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
Howabout if you got an erection? (You know everyone here is wondering about that, but afraid to ask)
I think the unheated pool would at least reduce that problem.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
If the ladies want to swim naked, more power to them, I say.
Okay. I guess I don't think swimming nude is awful. Just...odd, I s'pose.

Quote:
Or...SHRINKAGE?!
Old 06-01-2009, 09:58 AM

I went to an English State School (all boys) from 1964-1972.
We wore swimming trunks (and would have been astonished and embarrassed if it were otherwise).
Old 06-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Or...SHRINKAGE?!
Men didn't look at other men's penises. To do so would get you called a faggot. You were supposed to look elsewhere.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Only swimming lessons were in the nude. It's not schools used to have boys playing basketball or wrestling naked (now that's homoerotic).
See post #13 above.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:38 AM
21st Century Troubadour

Quote:

In sailing, it's called a Keel.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
We had the same thing at MIT.
Very common. And absurd. At MIT my friend, who was on the fencing team and far more athletic than I am, had big problems with the swimming test.

This goes way back also. My mother-in-law, who went to college in the mid '30s, never did learn how to swim. To let her pass the test they eventually let her do the laps holding on to a stick, to let the coach drag her across the pool.

In a rare "post is my cite" I swam nude at the Y in 1958 or 1959. I certainly don't remember the instructor being nude. The last day the parents were supposed to show up to watch us - I got conveniently sick. I don't know if we'd have been allowed to wear swimming suits then.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:41 PM

My parents went to the same high school that I did, (not at the same time as I did, you wags!)
Both of them tell of nude male swimming in the mid 50's. I never thought to ask about the teacher. My Mom said the girls dance studio windows were painted black because they overlooked the pool and in the mid 70's they still were. Both black and overlooking the pool.
So it lends a certain reasonableness, since why else would you paint out perfectly good windows?
Old 06-01-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
To the poster who asked me to "dial back the crazy": I'm sorry, but I just don't think that nude swimming classes, or naked people in general, are that wacky or potentially harmful ... no matter how many ominous italics and ellipses you use.
Do you really not understand why someone born in the last 40 years would think nude high school swimming is weird? And why it doesn't have anything to do with homophobia or prudishness?

Last edited by Justin_Bailey; 06-01-2009 at 01:43 PM..
Old 06-01-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Bailey View Post
Do you really not understand why someone born in the last 40 years would think nude high school swimming is weird? And why it doesn't have anything to do with homophobia or prudishness?
Read for comprehension, JB: No, I don't.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Then calling you out of touch is an understatement.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
But nothing else is done naked. Why swimming?
Old 06-01-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
But nothing else is done naked. Why swimming?
I don't understand why you seem to think that swimming attire and other attire should necessarily be equated. Moreover, I doubt that if like the Greek of yore, our gymnasiums (get it?) were redoubts of nudity, that would relieve your qualms. (Well, actually, if this were the conventional practice, I think you wouldn't have qualms, just Amazonian tribesmen can look at a bare-breasted matron without batting an eye. However, were we to switch to this now and overnight, I don't think you would say, "At last, consistency!")

Considering that nudity is the default attire of human beings, does there really need to be elaborate justifications? I think a lot of this comes down to "I don't want people to see me naked" which I think originates in prudishness. But I'm told that it doesn't, so do enlighten me.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:49 PM

I went to a rather large public high school in Illinois in the late 60's and guys swam nude for their swimming classes, but the girls got a generic swim suit that they more or less "shared" (each class had the girls just grab one out of the pile).

The rationale back then was they didn't want stinking swim suits hanging in the few lockers they had, and what was the big deal about it?

Yes, it was odd...and people still don't believe me when I tell them all of our swim classes were in the nude. And in Illinois, let me tell ya you NEVER wanted to be stuck in the first 8:30 AM swimming class...that water was freezing and everybody's pee pee was about the size of a pea.

I also remember the infamous day when the school bells weren't working and the girls swim class came marching in as the boys were still in the pool.

One other memorable moment was when one of the, uh, rather well endowed guys in my swim class got an erection. Coach made him stand on the diving board until it went down...but this guy seemed to like the attention and when coach wasn't looking, was actually giving himself a few strokes...the rest of us were laughing hysterically...ah, good times, good times.

I heard they only changed this policy in the 80's when they build additional lockers near the pool area. Plus they put in dryers to throw your swimsuits and towels in when you are done.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I don't understand why you seem to think that swimming attire and other attire should necessarily be equated. Moreover, I doubt that if like the Greek of yore, our gymnasiums (get it?) were redoubts of nudity, that would relieve your qualms. (Well, actually, if this were the conventional practice, I think you wouldn't have qualms, just Amazonian tribesmen can look at a bare-breasted matron without batting an eye. However, were we to switch to this now and overnight, I don't think you would say, "At last, consistency!")
Well, we do everything else in clothes. Why not go to the movies or ball games nude?

DMark, I think sharing a swimsuit with another girl might skeeve me even more. Ugh. Can anyone say yeast infection?
Old 06-01-2009, 03:14 PM

"Skeeve"?
Old 06-01-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Considering that nudity is the default attire of human beings, does there really need to be elaborate justifications? I think a lot of this comes down to "I don't want people to see me naked" which I think originates in prudishness. But I'm told that it doesn't, so do enlighten me.
Nudity is not the default attire of human beings, it's the initial attire of human beings. It's a slight, but very important, difference.

As for I think this is weird, it would be because it was never done when I was in high school (in the late 90s). They didn't even require us to shower after gym (and no one wanted to anyway because no one worked up that much of a sweat in gym class).

Beyond that, gym class has always been co-ed. From when I was a wee lad all the way up to my graduating year. Having segregated gym class seems almost quaint to me, and more than a little old fashioned.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:19 PM

You had co-ed gym classes in high school? We had boys gym classes from 7th through 12th grade. Did your high school have co-ed basketball and soccer teams? No? Well, that sounds more than little old fashioned to me…
Old 06-01-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Well, we do everything else in clothes. Why not go to the movies or ball games nude?
Gosh! I guess your computer must have redacted the first sentence of my post that you're responding to.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Gosh! I guess your computer must have redacted the first sentence of my post that you're responding to.
Well, why IS swimming attire different from other attire?
Old 06-01-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walloon View Post
You had co-ed gym classes in high school? We had boys gym classes from 7th through 12th grade. Did your high school have co-ed basketball and soccer teams? No? Well, that sounds more than little old fashioned to me…
Cute. And completely misses the point of why naked swimming doesn't happen anymore in gym class.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Well, why IS swimming attire different from other attire?
Well, for starters, swimming costumes get sopping wet whereas other activities don't saturate them as much. I suppose chemicals and fibers might be imported into the pool in an undesirable way; again, this isn't a concern in other contexts.

Why go butt booty nekkid in the shower? Why not wear shower shorts, a la JD from Scrubs? I've read posts asserting that it's "weird" for people to be unclothed in a locker room. Do you think so?

I guess I just don't subscribe to this body ressentiment and corresponding slave morality, to get Nietzschean about it.