The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The Game Room

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-31-2009, 07:25 PM
Really Not All That Bright Really Not All That Bright is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Magic: the Gathering. Is this stuff worth anything?

So the wifey just found a huge binder in her mother's house full of M:TG cards. She doesn't know anything about the game (and neither do I) - basically, she got them from a relative and kept collecting them as though they were baseball cards.

There are oodles of 'em - all enclosed in their only little plastic sleeves, plus in plastic covering in the binder. Over 300 in all.

They all say "Deckmaster" on the back - I don't know if that means they're from a particular edition, or whatever.

Here's a selection of the cards, which I picked out at random. I've listed them as "card name (card type) [numbers in corner*]". I assume that's all that matters:

Agility (Enchant Creature)
Benalish Hero (Summon Hero) [1/1]
Brainstorm (Instant)
Castle (Enchantment)
Coral Eel (Summon Creature) [2/1]
Crash of Rhinos (Summon Rhinos) [8/4]
Defiant Stand (Sorcery)
Ebony Charm (Instant)
Ethereal Champion (Summon Avatar) [3/4]
Fire Diamond (Artifact)
Fissure (Instant)
Forest (Land) - she has a bunch of these
Ghazban Ogre (Summon Ogre) [2/2]
Goblin Bully (Summon Creature) [2/1]
Goblin Shrine (Enchant Land)

*attack/defense, I'm guessing

ETA: I'm not trying to sell them here, for the record. Just wondering if there's a market for this stuff.

Last edited by Really Not All That Bright; 05-31-2009 at 07:26 PM..
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 05-31-2009, 07:37 PM
Chronos Chronos is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 54,933
If there's any value in the set, it'll be mostly in a few specific cards, with most of them being worth very little. The Forests, for instance (along with Plains, Islands, Swamps, and Mountains) are worth about a nickel a piece. On the other hand, if you have (for instance) one called Black Lotus, that's worth hundreds of dollars.

The value will also depend on which set each card comes from (some have been reprinted many times). Do any of the cards have a black border on the front side? Do any have a little icon of some sort to the right of the card type, underneath the picture? Who is listed as having the copyright at the bottom, the artist or Wizards of the Coast?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-31-2009, 07:38 PM
garygnu garygnu is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Looks like the most expensive one listed is Ethereal Champion, at 50.

You can put the name of any card in the search box on the right to get a value.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-31-2009, 07:42 PM
Really Not All That Bright Really Not All That Bright is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
If there's any value in the set, it'll be mostly in a few specific cards, with most of them being worth very little. The Forests, for instance (along with Plains, Islands, Swamps, and Mountains) are worth about a nickel a piece. On the other hand, if you have (for instance) one called Black Lotus, that's worth hundreds of dollars.

The value will also depend on which set each card comes from (some have been reprinted many times). Do any of the cards have a black border on the front side? Do any have a little icon of some sort to the right of the card type, underneath the picture? Who is listed as having the copyright at the bottom, the artist or Wizards of the Coast?
About half have the black border, and a similar number have an icon to the bottom right of the main illustration - a chakra looking thing, a palm tree, and a crescent, for example.

They're all copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast between '95 and '97.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-31-2009, 08:21 PM
Covered_In_Bees! Covered_In_Bees! is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chronos: Black Lotus I think has broken the thousand dollar mark if it's even in decent condition. White or black bordered.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-01-2009, 06:02 AM
Kobal2 Kobal2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covered_In_Bees! View Post
Chronos: Black Lotus I think has broken the thousand dollar mark if it's even in decent condition. White or black bordered.
Yeah, but it's a Mona Lisa thing : it's expensive because it's famous for being expensive. It was an "illegal" card in tournaments for being too powerful before I even got into the game, and that was at the time of the 3rd or 4th edition...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-01-2009, 06:45 AM
Snowboarder Bo Snowboarder Bo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2005
I still have an unopened deck of Magic: The Gathering cards. I bought it in 1994. Says Revised Edition and Deckmaster on the front of the pack. Any idea what that's worth?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Nanook of the North Shore Nanook of the North Shore is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Yeah, but it's a Mona Lisa thing : it's expensive because it's famous for being expensive. It was an "illegal" card in tournaments for being too powerful before I even got into the game, and that was at the time of the 3rd or 4th edition...
That's not true. It rotated out of Extended and Standard a long time ago true, and it's banned in Legacy for power reasons, but it's still legal in Vintage. And, as I'm sure you can imagine if you know the game at all, it's played in more or less every single deck in that format.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-01-2009, 10:08 AM
Trepa Mayfield Trepa Mayfield is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I still have an unopened deck of Magic: The Gathering cards. I bought it in 1994. Says Revised Edition and Deckmaster on the front of the pack. Any idea what that's worth?
Lots, if I remember correctly.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Gary "Wombat" Robson Gary "Wombat" Robson is offline
Vombatus Moderatus
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Montana, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
About half have the black border, and a similar number have an icon to the bottom right of the main illustration - a chakra looking thing, a palm tree, and a crescent, for example.
Those icons are a quick 'n easy tipoff to approximate value.

If the icon is straight black & white, those are "common" cards - they're probably worth no more than a quarter.

If the icon is black and a silvery-blue, they're "uncommon" cards, and it's probably worth checking their value. Unless they're quite old, the value most likely won't be really high, but you still might get a buck out of it.

If the icon is black and gold, you have a "rare" card. The value could go anywhere from a buck or so on up to hundreds or thousands of dollars.

If there's a gaming store near you, pick up a price guide magazine. They only cost five bucks or so if I remember correctly. The store would probably do an appraisal for you, but that's probably not worth the price on a typical collection.

ETA note to Snowboarder Bo: Do *not* open the deck. It's worth more sealed.

Last edited by Gary "Wombat" Robson; 06-01-2009 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Mtgman Mtgman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I still have an unopened deck of Magic: The Gathering cards. I bought it in 1994. Says Revised Edition and Deckmaster on the front of the pack. Any idea what that's worth?
~$50. You can buy them online for about that. You may do a little better or worse on eBay if you put it up.

Enjoy,
Steven
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Nanook of the North Shore Nanook of the North Shore is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Based on the symbols he mentions(palm tree is Mirage, crescent could be Arabian Nights, not sure what a chakra looking thing is), the symbols won't tell you the rarity. That wasn't introduced until Exodus, the third set of the Tempest block, which is after Mirage. You can use a website like Star City Games(www.starcitygames.com) to get a rough idea of the value. Keep in mind that the prices you find on a site like that are what dealers are selling it for. You won't get anywhere near that price if you sell it to a dealer. If you sell it yourself, on ebay for example, you'll possibly get more than a dealer would give, but only if you have something that's valuable to draw people in.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Meeko Meeko is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 7,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleWombat View Post

ETA note to Snowboarder Bo: Do *not* open the deck. It's worth more sealed.

Agreed here, Without a Doubt. Catch 22 is, you don't know, you COULD have a "God Pack" of cards though.*


As per the OP, nothing sticks out as "good" for me either. Benalish Hero screams 5th edition to me. Oh yeah, that's cause it has Banding.

I thought the Lotus was up to 1,800 - 2k?

Then again, The Power 9 didn't have expansion symbols, and were all Alpha/Beta to begin with, correct?

Translated for the OP : The true money cards in the game do not have the icons that you are talking about, did not have a Copyright date on them, and are considerably more rounded on the edges than newer (95 or later) cards.

*God packs are packs of cards that for one reason or another, have more rare cards in them than they should. I know they exist, because I personally got one, Once. -5Ed.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Aangelica Aangelica is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleWombat View Post
Those icons are a quick 'n easy tipoff to approximate value.

If the icon is straight black & white, those are "common" cards - they're probably worth no more than a quarter.

If the icon is black and a silvery-blue, they're "uncommon" cards, and it's probably worth checking their value. Unless they're quite old, the value most likely won't be really high, but you still might get a buck out of it.

If the icon is black and gold, you have a "rare" card. The value could go anywhere from a buck or so on up to hundreds or thousands of dollars.

If there's a gaming store near you, pick up a price guide magazine. They only cost five bucks or so if I remember correctly. The store would probably do an appraisal for you, but that's probably not worth the price on a typical collection.

ETA note to Snowboarder Bo: Do *not* open the deck. It's worth more sealed.
This isn't atcually very helpful for the OP, since they only started color-coding rarities via the set-symbol (located below the bottom right of the illustration - i.e., the palm tree, crescent, etc.) in more recent sets. In the sets of the vintage the OP seems to have (based on his description), all the set symbols were black, regardless of rarity.

Some of the cards the OP mentioned are going to be essentially valueless (the forests, for example, nobody is going to buy those for any price). If you're curious to see what (if anything) those cards are worth, you might try looking them up on starcitygames.com - they have a search by name function which tells you how much they're selling a given card for, and they're usually fairly current and reasonable with their pricing.

Although anything sealed should probably be left that way until you have more informed guidance
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Mtgman Mtgman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
In general, if it has a copyright line, it's not very valuable. There are exceptions, but very, VERY few of them are worth more than about $20. The exception is if you see a copyright date of 1994 on a white-bordered card. Report back here immediately with high-quality scans, treat the card(s) with kid gloves and don't do ANYTHING else until you get advice.

Enjoy,
Steven

Last edited by Mtgman; 06-01-2009 at 10:56 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Meeko Meeko is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 7,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook of the North Shore View Post
not sure what a chakra looking thing is
Oh, heh. It's Nanook.

I want to sayPortal.

I mean, I think we are all agreed that these cards are Pre-Tempest. Portal, IIRC is pre-temepest
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Gary "Wombat" Robson Gary "Wombat" Robson is offline
Vombatus Moderatus
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Montana, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook of the North Shore View Post
Based on the symbols he mentions(palm tree is Mirage, crescent could be Arabian Nights, not sure what a chakra looking thing is), the symbols won't tell you the rarity. That wasn't introduced until Exodus, the third set of the Tempest block, which is after Mirage.
Good point. I wasn't paying attention to what the icons were - only that there were icons.

Sorry about that.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-01-2009, 11:05 AM
Meeko Meeko is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 7,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedescribe View Post
Lots, if I remember correctly.
But, If they are the EPIC cards from Kamigawa, you CAN NOT use them in a Mafia game.

[My god, the comorbidities on this board are going to eat me alive. Sooner or Later, I am going to mis-post something somewhere else. I just know it.]
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Really Not All That Bright Really Not All That Bright is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeko View Post
I want to sayPortal.
That's the one. She thinks these are mostly "5th Edition".
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-01-2009, 11:39 AM
MHaye MHaye is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook of the North Shore View Post
Based on the symbols he mentions(palm tree is Mirage, crescent could be Arabian Nights, not sure what a chakra looking thing is), the symbols won't tell you the rarity. That wasn't introduced until Exodus, the third set of the Tempest block, which is after Mirage. You can use a website like Star City Games(www.starcitygames.com) to get a rough idea of the value. Keep in mind that the prices you find on a site like that are what dealers are selling it for. You won't get anywhere near that price if you sell it to a dealer. If you sell it yourself, on ebay for example, you'll possibly get more than a dealer would give, but only if you have something that's valuable to draw people in.
The Arabian Nights symbol is a scimitar.

ETA : The crescent is from The Dark; Fissure is from that set.

Last edited by MHaye; 06-01-2009 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Nanook of the North Shore Nanook of the North Shore is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
That's the one. She thinks these are mostly "5th Edition".
You can tell Fifth Edition cards fairly easily. They will be white bordered with no expansion symbol. The copyright line on the bottom will be dated 1997. Fourth Edition will be the same as Fifth, only the copyright date will be 1995 instead.

The thing with those sets are, every single card in them more or less is worthless. There's one or two outliers, Serra Angel, Wrath of God, maybe one of the dragons, that are worth a couple of bucks. Nothing worth more than 10, maybe 15 at the very top end. The vast majority of it you'd be lucky to get a quarter each for the rares, less for anything else.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Nanook of the North Shore Nanook of the North Shore is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHaye View Post
The Arabian Nights symbol is a scimitar.
Well yeah I know I was just trying to guess at what he meant by crescent. Thinking about it some more though, it's more likely The Dark. Black bordered Dark cards are worth a bit more than your run of the mill card, simply based on rarity. But if they're white bordered, then they are from Chronicles(a full reprint set that was a disaster for the secondary market at the time). Chronicle reprints are barely worth the paper they're printed on.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-01-2009, 11:46 AM
MHaye MHaye is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook of the North Shore View Post
Well yeah I know I was just trying to guess at what he meant by crescent. Thinking about it some more though, it's more likely The Dark. Black bordered Dark cards are worth a bit more than your run of the mill card, simply based on rarity. But if they're white bordered, then they are from Chronicles(a full reprint set that was a disaster for the secondary market at the time). Chronicle reprints are barely worth the paper they're printed on.
I started playing about a week or two before The Dark came out, so I remember all that.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-01-2009, 12:22 PM
iamthewalrus(:3= iamthewalrus(:3= is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
The best way to tell if you have magic cards that are worth anything is to find someone you trust who's played magic for a while to look over them, or to post an exhaustive list and have us go over it. A random sample will not give you much information, since most magic cards are worthless or nearly, but some are worth reasonable amounts and a few are worth a great deal. A random sample is very likely to miss the ones that are worth anything.

If you do go the exhaustive list route, you can list just the name of the card. Except for a very few cards, the set they're from is immaterial to determining their value. Even better, if you want to catch the few cards where set matters, take a high resolution photo of the cards (you can do many per page, and throw it up on Flickr or something.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Really Not All That Bright Really Not All That Bright is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus(:3= View Post
The best way to tell if you have magic cards that are worth anything is to find someone you trust who's played magic for a while to look over them, or to post an exhaustive list and have us go over it. A random sample will not give you much information, since most magic cards are worthless or nearly, but some are worth reasonable amounts and a few are worth a great deal. A random sample is very likely to miss the ones that are worth anything.
I wouldn't trust anyone who played Magic.

Just kidding. Seriously, though, while I knew lots of people who did in high school, I don't think I know anyone who does now.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-01-2009, 01:02 PM
iamthewalrus(:3= iamthewalrus(:3= is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
I wouldn't trust anyone who played Magic.


If you have a digital camera, it shouldn't take more than 10 or 15 minutes to take pics of the binder pages. Throw them up somewhere, and I'd be happy to take a look.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Chronos Chronos is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 54,933
Quote:
If you do go the exhaustive list route, you can list just the name of the card. Except for a very few cards, the set they're from is immaterial to determining their value.
I remember some years ago, there was a glitch in one of the price-list sites, that it ended up showing Forests as being worth something like five bucks (compared to five cents for all the other basic lands). What had happened was, the site was just taking the average auction price for all cards by that name, and there was some sort of rare misprint on a handful of forests that made them collectors' items. So almost all forests were still worth a pittance, just like any other basic land, but those few misprints were artificially driving up the averages.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Spurious George Spurious George is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
You can buy a Scrye magazine for $5 that will list EVERY card and tell you a high, low, and median expected value. That's what I did yesterday - apparently this box that's been living under my bed has several $30-$50 cards in it. (Legends, mostly.)
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Meeko Meeko is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 7,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurious George View Post
You can buy a Scrye magazine for $5 that will list EVERY card and tell you a high, low, and median expected value. That's what I did yesterday - apparently this box that's been living under my bed has several $30-$50 cards in it. (Legends, mostly.)
If they didn't go out of business.

I have a youtube on Magic The Gathering and CCGs where I comment on this. (Their last issue was April 09)
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Meeko Meeko is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 7,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
That's the one. She thinks these are mostly "5th Edition".
Thats another reason why I thought it was Portal. The timing fits.

Portal was the beginner set into Magic. It has legal game cards, but only has about a fouth of the depth. [Portal only has Lands, Creatures, and Sorcerries. - Including a counter spell effect with sorcery speed. ]

It is when I started playing. I have since bought older Cards, but Portal was right after 5th, and right before Tempest.

I also figured, if she didn't know what magic was, the Beginner set would be the best time to get in.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-01-2009, 04:15 PM
tr0psn4j tr0psn4j is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeko View Post
Thats another reason why I thought it was Portal. The timing fits.

Portal was the beginner set into Magic. It has legal game cards, but only has about a fouth of the depth. [Portal only has Lands, Creatures, and Sorcerries. - Including a counter spell effect with sorcery speed. ]

It is when I started playing. I have since bought older Cards, but Portal was right after 5th, and right before Tempest.

I also figured, if she didn't know what magic was, the Beginner set would be the best time to get in.
Don't underestimate Portal though. Since they allowed it into Vintage tournaments, it has offered quite a few amazing cards that have helped fuel some of the combo decks. I haven't played for close to a year though so I'm not sure what the metagame is like now. But I believe they were all storm based decks at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Covered_In_Bees! Covered_In_Bees! is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
I haven't played for close to a year though so I'm not sure what the metagame is like now. But I believe they were all storm based decks at the time.
I posted a link to The Mana Drain a while back. I'm not sure if people can see my posts in this thread or not though. Can someone debunk this please?

EDIT: I posted the link in the other thread, BTW.

Also, Portal was black bordered, 5th Edition was not, FWIW.

Last edited by Covered_In_Bees!; 06-01-2009 at 05:04 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-01-2009, 06:16 PM
tr0psn4j tr0psn4j is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
What was it about? I checked the first three pages for posts started by Covered_In_Bees! and couldn't find anything. Well I ctrl+F'ed for "Cove" and nothing popped up. Can't figure out my old username and password to search for your name.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Covered_In_Bees! Covered_In_Bees! is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0psn4j View Post
What was it about? I checked the first three pages for posts started by Covered_In_Bees! and couldn't find anything. Well I ctrl+F'ed for "Cove" and nothing popped up. Can't figure out my old username and password to search for your name.
My link was to The Mana Drain, a Vintage-only website. Filled with people who played Vintage on a serious, competitive level. Some of them only play Vintage on a serious level.

I provided that link (it's in my last post here also) to their forum where people talk about and build new decks together. Elsewhere on the message board is a forum dedicated to announcing when and where upcoming Vintage tournaments are to be held.

The Vintage World Championship, to those interested, will be held at GenCon 2009.

Last edited by Covered_In_Bees!; 06-01-2009 at 08:09 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Snowboarder Bo Snowboarder Bo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleWombat View Post
ETA note to Snowboarder Bo: Do *not* open the deck. It's worth more sealed.
LOL

Thanks but I already knew that. I mean, I have kept it for 15 years without opening it, specifically to be able to sell it to a collector at some point.

I have lots of unopened stuff. You should see DJs when they find out that I have unopened vinyl copies of FGTH Relax 12" and Talk Talk It's My Life 12". One guy offered me $400 for FGTH but he didn't have it on him, so no deal.

Thanks for the advice and the estimates, too, y'all.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-02-2009 at 05:46 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-03-2009, 12:25 PM
tds1273 tds1273 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
I always hit up the sports cards section of our shop, but back around '94-'95 I bought a couple packs just to see if I could pull anything. The "best" card I got, was a (phonetically)Nevinyeral's Disk, or something like that. The picture was of a stone disk with teeth and tentacles coming out of it; off hand, I couldn't tell you what it actually did. I think it was an 'artifact'?

I should still have it somewhere in a hard sleeve and at least near mint condition. Could anyone tell me if that one would be worth anything? None of these links are working at work.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-03-2009, 12:46 PM
iamthewalrus(:3= iamthewalrus(:3= is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Nevinyrral's Disk is worth about $3-4 if white bordered (almost certainly is if you bought it in '94), and more if black-bordered, up to about $100.

Last edited by iamthewalrus(:3=; 06-03-2009 at 12:47 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Chronos Chronos is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 54,933
Quote:
The "best" card I got, was a (phonetically)Nevinyeral's Disk, or something like that.
I can't remember the exact spelling, but it makes a lot more sense backwards. And what it does is destroy almost everything in play.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-03-2009, 01:28 PM
tds1273 tds1273 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Huh. Sounds like a pretty stong card, at least to someone who has never actually played before, but unfortunately I'm pretty sure it does have the white border.

Thank you both.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Chronos Chronos is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 54,933
Quote:
Huh. Sounds like a pretty stong card, at least to someone who has never actually played before,
Note that it's not discriminating: It destroys your stuff as well. Which can be effective if your deck is designed around relatively few permanents to begin with, of course, but those can be difficult to make work.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 06-03-2009, 02:44 PM
tds1273 tds1273 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Sort of a last resort play then?

Well this thread has covered my 'something new' for the day. Now part of me does want to give the online version from the other thread a try. Can you acquire cards and build a deck from winning games, or do you really just have to make a (seemingly serious) financial investment into it?


Though I never played, I have always appreciated the art work on the cards, any good galleries just to browse the pictures?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Gary "Wombat" Robson Gary "Wombat" Robson is offline
Vombatus Moderatus
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Montana, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I can't remember the exact spelling, but it makes a lot more sense backwards. And what it does is destroy almost everything in play.
It's Larry Niven's name backward, and it's a play on the Warlock's Wheel from one of his stories. The Magic Goes Away, if I remember correctly. The Warlock's Wheel sucks up all mana in the area and prevents casting of spells.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Covered_In_Bees! Covered_In_Bees! is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Sort of a last resort play then?
Not necessarily. You can use it in decks that have very few permanents to actually have destroyed. Minimizing your losses, wiping your opponent's board clean.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-03-2009, 04:41 PM
garygnu garygnu is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
IIRC, the Disk was used often in all-Black decks with Necropotence. Necro let you pay life to draw cards, but you stopped drawing normally each turn. The abundance of cards in your hand with such an ability made permanents less necessary, plus the Disk was a way for a Black deck to get rid of an enchantment.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Chronos Chronos is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 54,933
Or use it just before you're about to play some very large creature yourself, so it ends up being the only thing on the battlefield.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 06-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Brainiac4 Brainiac4 is offline
Soviet Era Sex Robot
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Maplewood, MN
Posts: 1,973
Or with the recent (last couple of years) advent of cards that remove a card from play and bring it back later (end of the turn, next turn, etc), Nevinyrral's Disk can be very very handy. Hang some stuff out there that will come into play in a turn or two, blast the board clean with the Disk and enjoy your fast recovery.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Mtgman Mtgman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
It's also fantastic with Planeswalkers because it wipes out specific permanent types, and doesn't touch them. So you don't have to worry about creatures attacking your planeswalker while it builds up to its ultimate. If you're playing planeswalkers it basically says "wipe out most of the threats to your planeswalker".

Enjoy,
Steven
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 06-04-2009, 12:06 PM
tr0psn4j tr0psn4j is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Yeah, it's one of those cards that defined the game earlier on but is now, sadly, too slow to play in most decks.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 06-04-2009, 01:26 PM
tds1273 tds1273 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Sounds like a decent card, if played right. The amount of discussion and strategy of using it is pretty interesting(though a lot of it's over my head) and makes me wish I would have given the game more of a chance.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 06-04-2009, 02:05 PM
MHaye MHaye is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tds1273 View Post
Sort of a last resort play then?

Well this thread has covered my 'something new' for the day. Now part of me does want to give the online version from the other thread a try. Can you acquire cards and build a deck from winning games, or do you really just have to make a (seemingly serious) financial investment into it?
Depends on what you want to play.
Tournament-level Magic requires some pretty serious investment; Vintage has a high cost to enter but thereafter a low to moderate investment to keep current. Standard requires much less to start but ongoing investment at about the same level.

Alternately you can look into playing Pauper magic, which allows only common cards, most of which can be had for pennies per card (you might need to look around).

Quote:
Though I never played, I have always appreciated the art work on the cards, any good galleries just to browse the pictures?
The Gatherer can be used to pull out card searches, including images of the cards. (There are others, but the best links to a number of online shops and that might skate too close to advertising.)
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.