The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Old 06-20-2009, 12:05 AM

Biggest asshole in Congress

So what congresscritter do you think is most worthy of the title Richard Cranium?
My vote goes to Oklahoma Senator Jim Inhofe. Check out this story:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_217931.html
He's refusing to meet with Sonia Sotomayer, saying he's already decided to vote no on her.
In case you don't remember he's also the same dumb ass that said lesbianism is so rampant in high schools that girls can't even go to the bathroom together anymore and that global warming was a hoax perpetrated by the Weather Channel.

Last edited by joebuck20; 06-20-2009 at 12:06 AM..
Advertisements  
Old 06-20-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
n case you don't remember he's also the same dumb ass that said lesbianism is so rampant in high schools that girls can't even go to the bathroom together anymore
Pretty sure that was Sen Tom Coburn (the other OK senator).

Agree that Inhofe is generally an idiot, but really, if he's already decided how he's going to vote on Sotomayor, I don't really blame him for not bothering to go through the song-and-dance of meeting with her and wasting both their time.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:13 AM
Mod Rocker

This looks like a poll, not a debate.

Off to IMHO, (with connecting flights to the Pit.)
Old 06-20-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicio View Post
Pretty sure that was Sen Tom Coburn (the other OK senator).
You're right. I stand corrected. But I still think he's a major asshole. Check out what he said about the 9/11 attacks:
https://www.cato.org/dailys/06-04-02.html
Fourth paragraph from the bottom.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:36 AM

Inhofe was the first name that came to my mind, but then I remembered Tom Tancredo. God, that guy is an asshole. Mmmm...Michele Bachman is probably more insane than assholish, yeah?
Old 06-20-2009, 09:22 AM

I'd say Roland Burris definitely merits an honorable mention.

Last edited by BKReporter; 06-20-2009 at 09:22 AM..
Old 06-20-2009, 10:59 AM

No, he doesn't.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:21 PM

Barbara Boxer, Dianne feinstein, Barney Frank, Chuck Schumer...
Old 06-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Barbara Boxer. Who knew that being addressed as ma'am could be disrespectful? Good thing she is focused on important things.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:36 PM

Biggest Asshole In Congress

This is a contest of epic proportions (no pun intended)

This is an institution that is awash in self serving asshats and the exception by far would be to find one who doesn't fit that description
Old 06-20-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
Barbara Boxer, Dianne feinstein, Barney Frank, Chuck Schumer...
Why, because they're Democrats?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitycrash
Barbara Boxer. Who knew that being addressed as ma'am could be disrespectful? Good thing she is focused on important things.
She earned her title, and I don't think it's unreasonable to want to be addressed by it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickster
This is an institution that is awash in self serving asshats and the exception by far would be to find one who doesn't fit that description
A popular misconception. Most politicians are not, in fact, sleazy windbags, though they are more likely to be so than the general populace.

Last edited by Captain Carrot; 06-20-2009 at 12:40 PM..
Old 06-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
In case you don't remember he's also the same dumb ass that said lesbianism is so rampant in high schools that girls can't even go to the bathroom together anymore...
Another politician who promises and promises, but can't deliver. Sigh.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Carrot View Post
No, because they are asshats

Quote:
She earned her title, and I don't think it's unreasonable to want to be addressed by it.
She should work a little more on being gracious so she could also wear the Ma'am title

Quote:
A popular misconception. Most politicians are not, in fact, sleazy windbags, though they are more likely to be so than the general populace.
More likely a popular truism
Old 06-20-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
In the military, 'sir' and 'ma'am' are the proper forms of address for people that outrank you.

Further, I didn't see him throwing a tantrum when, after explaining how she 'earned' her title, that she didn't have the common courtesy to address him by his title that I am quite certain he worked far harder for than she did for hers.

So, she's an ignorant, rude hypocrit with an inflated sense of her own importance. That sounds like a textbook asshole to me.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:01 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
Inhofe was the first name that came to my mind, but then I remembered Tom Tancredo.
Tancredo is no longer in Congress.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:36 PM

Isn't there some sort of link between how much of an asshole a congressman is, and how much he disagrees with you? It seems like some people are being mentioned not so much for their personalities as for their views on issues.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

I don't know. It pretty much changes on a daily basis, depending on which asshole has most recently opened their mouth.

This week, Mrs. Boxer is definitely the champ.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Amazing View Post
Isn't there some sort of link between how much of an asshole a congressman is, and how much he disagrees with you? It seems like some people are being mentioned not so much for their personalities as for their views on issues.
The vast majority still qualify for me as I agree with very few of them....maybe even none.

Just noticed that despite the economy, they voted to increase their office budgets by 8%.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:46 PM

It USED to be Santorum, but he's long gone. Same with Bob Dornan.

How about Joe Lieberman?
Old 06-20-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
How about Joe Lieberman?
I think we can all get behind that.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Feinstein doesn't belong on any "asshole" list. She is a consummate professional. I disagree with most of her politics, but feel well represented by her.

Boxer, OTOH.......
Old 06-20-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I think we can all get behind that.
If I had a blindfold. And was using you dick. Maybe.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapuntal View Post
If I had a blindfold. And was using you dick. Maybe.
Oh God, no.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

While it is tempting to say McCain, I'll have to go with John Cornyn.

From the Wikipedia article:

...In 2005, Cornyn gained notice by connecting the Supreme Court's reluctance to hear arguments for sustaining Terri Schiavo's life with the recent murders of Judge Joan Lefkow's husband and mother as well as that of Judge Rowland Barnes. "I don't know if there is a cause-and-effect connection, but we have seen some recent episodes of courthouse violence in this country. I wonder whether there may be some connection between the perception in some quarters on some occasions where judges are making political decisions yet are unaccountable to the public, that it builds up and builds up and building up to the point where some people engage in violence." His statement and a similar one by House Majority Leader Tom Delay were denounced by many, including The New York Times. Cornyn later said that he regretted the statement...

...Cornyn has been described by Jim Jubak of MSN Money as one of "Big Oil's ten favorite members of Congress," as he has received more money from the oil and gas industry than all but six other members of Congress...

Full article here.

I need to edit that Wikipedia article. I corrected two typos in the text I quoted.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:04 PM

How about Cynthia McKinney? Or would she be biggest nutjob in Congress?
Old 06-21-2009, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundrop View Post
In the military, 'sir' and 'ma'am' are the proper forms of address for people that outrank you.
Doesn't the Queen of England go by 'ma'am' these days?
Old 06-21-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
How about Cynthia McKinney? Or would she be biggest nutjob in Congress?
Not in Congress anymore.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:01 AM

phthirus pubis
Old 06-21-2009, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Who was the guy on Chris Matthews's "Hardball" a few weeks ago who maintained that global warming's connection to human activity was a debunked myth, and that Saturn and Mars were also undergoing global warming, and that the other participants in the discussion were ignoring the science when they pretended global warming was something we should be working on? I think he was a member of the House. At least, this is how I remember the show - correct me if I got some of it wrong!
Old 06-21-2009, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitycrash
Barbara Boxer
She earned her title
OK, you win - Barbara Boxer is the Biggest Asshole in Congress.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 06-21-2009, 12:30 PM

I can't read the title of this thread without summoning up a scene from Blazing Saddles:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town Schoolmarm, reading aloud a telegram she has drafted for the town, to be sent to the governor
We, the white, god-fearing citizens of Rock Ridge wish to express our extreme displeasure with your choice of sheriff. Please remove him immediately. The fact that you have sent him here just goes to prove that you are the leading asshole in the state.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:11 PM

My vote goes to Dan "I'd rather be golfing" Burton (R - IN).
Old 06-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's as good a reason as any others you might be inclined to come up with.

In any event, those particular people, along with McCarthy, Clinton, Lautenberg and Emmanuel, are the people commonly known as "gun grabbers". While I don't necessarily have anything personal against them, I certainly object to their like-clockwork yearly attempts to pass gun bans.

I would think that, given it was Crafter_Man that said it, you would see it for what it was and understand why he said it instead of acting like you didn't understand and trying to play it off as Democrat hating, although that's perfectly OK too given the hate for all things Republican here.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

It's hard for me to forget Sen. (then Rep.) Tom Coburn's referring to the nudity in Schindler's List (which had been broadcast on network TV uncut around 1996) as 'gratuitous'. Previously, I hadn't thought it possible to be really prudish and really depraved at the same time.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman Doors, USAF View Post
That's as good a reason as any others you might be inclined to come up with.
Actually, no it isn't. I despise Michele Bachmann because she's a crazy McCarthyite, for example. She's done a great deal of harm with her rants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman Doors, USAF
I would think that, given it was Crafter_Man that said it, you would see it for what it was and understand why he said it instead of acting like you didn't understand and trying to play it off as Democrat hating, although that's perfectly OK too given the hate for all things Republican here.
Actually, no, I didn't make that connection. And very few people here hate all things Republican. I certainly don't.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Actually, no, I didn't make that connection. And very few people here hate all things Republican. I certainly don't.
Actually, yes, you did make that connection, even if your intent was not to.

Nancy Pelosi
Arlen Spector
Barney Frank
Barbara Boxer
Chucky Shumer

All assholes. I'm sure there are good people in there, but you never hear from them. Seems being an asshole is a requirement for getting on a Sunday talk show.

Being from New York and California also help. I never thought this would be possible, but I hate Chuck Shumer more than Hilary Clinton.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:18 PM

In what way are they assholes?
Old 06-21-2009, 08:20 PM

In what way aren't they assholes?

Perhaps you can use the same logic in your head that you used to define Joe Liebarman an asshole above and apply it to any of the names.

And before you start whining that my list is heavily Democrat, get over yourself. They are the party in power. They own the White House and both chambers of congress. So of course they are going to lead the asshole parade. This country is going down the shitter, and I don't see anything happening but power grabs and money grabs. We are going broke, and these clowns just want to spend more. Not ONE of these liberal democrats that want to raise our taxes and spread the wealth will write an extra check to the government to help out. Think I'm kidding? Remember when Bill Clinton wrote off his underwear for 5 bucks a pair to the Salvation Army or some Vet Charity for a tax write-off. Classy.

Oh, and let's not forget the President of the Senate, Joe Biden, a walking, talking embarrassment (and asshole). Eat your heart out, Dan Quayle.

Actually, they just traded places:

Democrats - The Party of Bad Ideas
Republicans - The Parto of No Ideas
Old 06-21-2009, 08:50 PM

Roland Burris, perjurer at large.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stink Fish Pot View Post
In what way aren't they assholes?
You make the claim, you back it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stink Fish Pot
And before you start whining that my list is heavily Democrat, get over yourself. They are the party in power. They own the White House and both chambers of congress. So of course they are going to lead the asshole parade.
Actually, no, that's not how it works. Assholes without power are still assholes,
Quote:
This country is going down the shitter, and I don't see anything happening but power grabs and money grabs. We are going broke, and these clowns just want to spend more. Not ONE of these liberal democrats that want to raise our taxes and spread the wealth will write an extra check to the government to help out. Think I'm kidding?
No, but I do think you have no idea what you're talking about.
Quote:
Remember when Bill Clinton wrote off his underwear for 5 bucks a pair to the Salvation Army or some Vet Charity for a tax write-off. Classy.
No, but what the hell does that have to do with anything?

Quote:
Oh, and let's not forget the President of the Senate, Joe Biden, a walking, talking embarrassment (and asshole). Eat your heart out, Dan Quayle.
Ah yes, Biden is far more embarrassing than Quayle or Bush. In what way is he an asshole, pray tell?
Old 06-21-2009, 09:31 PM

There is a reason the the Congressional approval rating was much lower than even GW's

By and large, these may be well intending and good natured people went they are sent to DC for the first time, but unfortunately they are quickly taught the ropes by the deeply entrenched veterans and lobbyist.

I'm a firm believer that the only long term solution to congressional ineptitude and lack of ethics is strict term limits. Too bad it will never happen because one of the required steps would be they would have to vote in favor of it themselves. never going to happen.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:32 PM

No mention of Orin Hatch yet?
Old 06-21-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
You make the claim, you back it up.
Actually, no... this is IMHO. Just like you made the claim that Lieberman was an asshole upthread, I don't remember any reasoning given by you. I can think a lot of people are assholes. It's my opinion. I just thought of another one right now!

Quote:
Actually, no, that's not how it works. Assholes without power are still assholes,
Yes, that's true... but we aren't talking about the guy that cut you off in traffic, we are talking about Congress. And Republicans have assholes in their ranks as well. But seriously, who cares? Is anyone listening to them? Arlen was an asshole long before he switched parties. And now he may not even win the Democratic Primary in PA. What a shame.

Quote:
No, but I do think you have no idea what you're talking about.
Sadly I do. You seem to embrace the "each according to his ability, each according to his means" philosophy. Of course, when you finally achieve something and make some money, all of a sudden you become a fiscal conservative. If you ever get there, it might be too late.

And if you've ever listened to Nancy Pelosi speak (and realize she's behind only Joe Biden in the food chain for President) you'd realize what an asshole she is. But let's go with a recent example. When did she learn about the happenings at Gitmo and who told her? She knew. She's lying. And everyone knows it. Not that I care much, but people in glass houses should leave their red lipstick at home and shut up.

Quote:
No, but what the hell does that have to do with anything?
Well, it doesn't smack of liberal generosity, does it? Why not just donate for free and forget the tax write-off? No, even the bleeding hearts with cash will figure a way around the system, where to hide their money and make the rest of the country pay for the bailouts, the bank failures, the mortgage crisis, the credit crisis, and now health care. Liberals are real good at spending other people's money, but I've never known one that would chip in an extra $5 for lunch.

Quote:
Ah yes, Biden is far more embarrassing than Quayle or Bush. In what way is he an asshole, pray tell?
Again, my opinion - which extends to Quayle, by the way. But if you need a place to start, go look at Mighty Joe's first presidential run when he doctored his resume.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:08 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Moving this lovefest from IMHO to The BBQ Pit.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:11 AM

Huh, how did I get to a political cartoon comments thread? I thought I was on the Dope.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:05 AM

#1 Harry Reid
#2 Nancy Pelosi
#3 Barney Frank
#4 Barbara Boxer
#5 Roland Burris

Last edited by Starving Artist; 06-22-2009 at 02:05 AM..
Old 06-22-2009, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taber View Post
Huh, how did I get to a political cartoon comments thread? I thought I was on the Dope.
Fifty percent of the Dope has been retarded political cartoon potshots since pretty much forever. Where have you been reading?
Old 06-22-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zut View Post
Fifty percent of the Dope has been retarded political cartoon potshots since pretty much forever. Where have you been reading?
You must be mistaken. The right-wingers don't make up even close to 50% of the membership of this board...
Old 06-22-2009, 10:37 AM

Hoekstra gets my vote this week.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
You must be mistaken. The right-wingers don't make up even close to 50% of the membership of this board...
They're prolific.

-Joe