The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Brainiac Brainiac is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 375
Are emergency rooms really that big a drag on the medical system?

I have learned only this year that they are a problem.

Are they really free to the indigent?
The few times I've gone to emergency rooms they were really insistent that I pay. Nobody offered me anything free.

Do they automatically create a huge bill for a small complaint? I've heard this in the medical debates. That if only small clinics could treat the poor the costs would go down. But why exactly? Because in the emergency room the hospital gets an overhead cut? Because they just like to inflate costs when the government pays? Because they send surgeons to apply compresses? What?

If the answer is that they like to accept non-emergencies rather than turn the poor away, why not treat them next door at a separate clinic without the hospital overhead? Are they locked into the specific word "hospital" for free treatment?

Last edited by Brainiac; 07-05-2009 at 04:58 PM..
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 07-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Nametag Nametag is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 8,066
Emergency rooms are expensive -- they are equipped and staffed for the treatment of immediately life-threatening conditions, 24/7. If the poor could take their sniffles and migraines and mysterious "I-don't-feel-so-good" complaints to a doctor's office, as the paying customers do (or should), the ER could treat everyone's medical emergencies as they always have. They always try to collect, but since they don't turn anyone away, they currently end up treating a lot of non-emergency complaints for free. A visit to the doctor's office or a clinic is cheaper than an hour in the ER, and would save money for any potential insurer.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Bijou Drains Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
I took my wife to an ER for a broken arm. We had insurance and I was amazed they didn't seem to care much about getting our insurance info at the time. They just said we will get it later. Granted this was in an upper middle class area and I don't think that part of town gets many poor people in that ER.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Polycarp Polycarp is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: A better place to be
Posts: 26,718
A friend who was a business manager at the hospital in the city which my wife and I grew up in, informed me that hospitals were obliged to write off a certain small percentage of debts, as a part of their Medicaid contract. (This was in New York about 25 years ago, so don't take it as how things are today.)

IMO, lack of clinics where the working poor and those living on limited income can get reasonably decent basic medical care, in most areas, contributes greatly to emergency room overuse.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Shagnasty Shagnasty is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 26,242
Emergency rooms have to take everyone regardless of their financial situation. If you are an illegal alien or have no money or real assets, you can get treatment that way as much as you like. A very serious situation like heart failure may rack up tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills but the hospital still has to take you when you get admitted through the emergency room. That happens all of the time. All people in the U.S. have access to medical care through emergency rooms if they can pay for it or not. It isn't that efficient but some people have to play the system that way.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-05-2009, 06:21 PM
AskNott AskNott is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Anderson, IN,USA
Posts: 14,572
A discussion of health care costs on NPR quoted a poison control phone center worker. She got a call from an ER about a little girl who had swallowed some bleach. She advised them to give the girl a $2000 glass of milk and send her home. Had the mother called the poison number herself, instead of going to the ER, she would have gotten the same advice, but the milk would have been a whole lot cheaper out of her own refrigerator.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Bijou Drains Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
ER has to treat anyone but only to a point. They have to get you to a stable condition. At that point they are allowed to send you to another hospital if they find out you have no insurance.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Mr. Slant Mr.  Slant is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
One thing that many, many non-business types don't get is that the difference between wonderful profits and flirting with bankruptcy is, for many firms, a matter of 2-5% of their gross revenue.
As a result, if you take a business running at a nice profit and tack on a part of the operation that costs several million a year and doesn't get paid by 25% of its users, things can mess up more badly than the layman would imagine.

Hope that made sense.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Markxxx Markxxx is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 14,962
In terms of cost/benefit ratio they are. The USA is a bit odd among developed nations. If you look at studies, America has the best care in terms of Trauma, Emergency Care and "forefront medicine" (transplants and unique medical conditions). But in terms of every day care, average health and longevity, it is poor.

Obviously it is much better to prevent a heart attack then stop a heart attack. Yet American shines in the treatment of heart attacks, yet fails in the prevention of them.

So you have to look at it like this, is a grocery store, like Kroger or Safeway more efficent that Circle K or 7-11. You get the same products but to do your everday shopping at 7-11 is a simply a waste of money. But not everything at 7-11 is a waste.

Using an ER for every day treatment is a waste, but not everything in an ER is a waste.

That's the way you have to look at it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-05-2009, 07:43 PM
gonzomax gonzomax is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: michigan
Posts: 26,307
http://public.findlaw.com/abaflg/flg-17-1b-2.html Hospitals were dumping patients. Some would stabilize them ,dress them up and dump them in some poor community and drive off.
Hospitals do not feel any need to provide services to the poor.
Many poor can not afford medical care. They have to go to emergency rooms to get any care at all. They will at least get diagnosed at many of them.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Polycarp Polycarp is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: A better place to be
Posts: 26,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzomax View Post
http://public.findlaw.com/abaflg/flg-17-1b-2.html Hospitals were dumping patients. Some would stabilize them ,dress them up and dump them in some poor community and drive off.
Hospitals do not feel any need to provide services to the poor.
Many poor can not afford medical care. They have to go to emergency rooms to get any care at all. They will at least get diagnosed at many of them.
Let's throw a bunch of "many"s in there to make it conform to GQ standards. Gonzo provides some backup to my comment above.

I'm wondering it the question of medical care for the poor might be deserving of GD treatment?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Qadgop the Mercotan Qadgop the Mercotan is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Slithering on the hull
Posts: 25,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polycarp View Post
IMO, lack of clinics where the working poor and those living on limited income can get reasonably decent basic medical care, in most areas, contributes greatly to emergency room overuse.
IME, these clinics fail at a very high rate because they can't collect enough in fees to stay open.

I've worked in a few inner city clinics in my day; fortunately my salary was guaranteed. Otherwise I'd have seen 40+ patients a day and gotten reimbursed about $20.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-06-2009, 01:12 AM
Nava Nava is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
... Because they send surgeons to apply compresses?...
That's something I encountered several times in the US (and which led to things like "drawing blood, $150; analysis, $25") but it was never in an ER.





If you count everybody who's on "24h access duty for hospital emergencies", then the ER at my local hospital has a constant complement of:
1 doctor from every specialty in the hospital - that's over 30 doctors;
3 on-site doctors on "general" duty;
anesthesiologist (also a doctor, and the ones with the highest pay);
radiologist (also a doctor) plus a radiology nurse
plus other nurses, custodians, nurses' aides, two admin...

Add the people in the ambulances, the two GPs and two nurses from the area centered around the hospital who are also on 24h, house visits from doctors leaving regular duty (not interrupting it, but house calls are done after in-office) and you can get a huge sum. Now do the accounting considering that "people who aren't required to be IN the ER" aren't part of the ER's expenses (they're still emergency, but not ER) and suddenly you get completely different costs.

So I guess what I'm saying is, I'd like to see how have those costs been calculated. Find out how they've been calculated, apply similar accounting to other areas, and you'll be able to draw a realistic comparison.



Also, I'm not sure whether the comparison between "costs of emergency treatment" vs "cost of non-emergency treatment" per patient or per million inhabitants is worse or better in the USA than in, say, France - both in terms of costs to the medical system and to the patient, given the different costs of the treatments and drugs themselves in both places.

Last edited by Nava; 07-06-2009 at 01:16 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-06-2009, 06:51 AM
Broomstick Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 24,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
Are they really free to the indigent?
Only in the sense you can't get blood out of a turnip. They have to provide treatment to all comers. If you have no money, well, there's no money to collect. That doesn't mean they won't try - they will send bills, make phone calls, and, if they find out you lied and DO have money, there might even be wage garnishment. You can't just show up and say "I have no money but you still have to give me care, suckas!" and not expect a bill of some sort. It's just that for those who can't pay they stop trying to collect at some point.

Quote:
The few times I've gone to emergency rooms they were really insistent that I pay. Nobody offered me anything free.
Right, nobody will OFFER you free stuff. None of it is free, it's just that if someone really doesn't have money they can't collect for the bills.

Quote:
Do they automatically create a huge bill for a small complaint? I've heard this in the medical debates.
There's not some evil cabal of shifty-eye accountants in the back room issuing big scary bills, no. The bill you get is based on the care received - usually the doctors' time, the nurses and other staff time, any supplies used, etc. Some complaints require more expenditures than others. Broken bones, for example, require x-rays and casting materials. A heart attack requires EKG's and a tech for the machine, plus various medications. Anyone who goes to an ER can request a detailed bill listing all of this stuff and how much it costs.

And yes, the various items DO have a relatively high price. That's because in the ER the emphasis is on fast, single dose, and sterile. Just as paying for 1 or 2 Tylenol in a convenience packet at the 7/11 costs more per unit than getting a bottle of 100 pills at WalMart, the separate packing for the items in the ER cost more than if everything was in bulk - but it has to be done that way given the nature of where they are. There are additional labor costs in keeping every bay in the ER properly stocked, but it has to be done because if someone is dying the doctors and nurses can't take the time to search for stuff, it has to be THERE. ER's also tend more towards chaos - flying blood and stuff in injury cases, projectile vomiting in others, and so on, which makes keeping things clean more of a challenge and more costly. Security is required, particularly in big cities with crowded ER's because emotions can run high and people - both patients and those with them - can get out of hand. For all of these reasons, and probably some I haven't thought of, costs in the ER will be higher than in other areas of a hospital simply because that's how reality works.

Quote:
That if only small clinics could treat the poor the costs would go down. But why exactly?
Because a small clinic is a much more controlled environment with less chaos, where some supplies can be purchased in bulk rather than individually wrapped for sanitation, where not every room has to be kept 100% stocked 24/7, they don't required security guards (usually), they don't have to pay for a night shift, and the really catastrophic stuff they send to the ER (which is what should go to the ER) rather than trying to treat it on site. People are far less likely to bleed out and leave pools of blood, or vomit copious amounts, and otherwise generate cleaning up nightmares (again, that stuff gets sent to the ER). Most of the docs at a clinic are generalists - ER's have specialists of all types on call which are more expensive as a general rule. Clinics might have an x-ray or two, but they usually don't have MRI's or PET machines, which are wonderful but really, really expensive.

In short, clinics are cheaper to run because the environment is more controlled, and they send the sickest/most expensive patients to the hospital or ER.

Quote:
Because in the emergency room the hospital gets an overhead cut?
You say that like it's a bad thing - someone has to pay for the lights, water, oxygen, band aids, janitors, etc. required to run an ER. Actually, hospitals invariably lose money on ER's because, despite the large bills sent to patients, they cost more to run than they bring in.

Quote:
Because they just like to inflate costs when the government pays?
Actually, it's private insurance that pays the most towards ER's. There are also charitable donations and government grants to hospitals, but the government reimbursement rate for ER treatment is, in fact, below cost for virtually all procedures. In other words, no ER is getting rich by treating the poor and billing the government - if an ER's patients all fell under Medicaid and Medicare the ER would bleed money.

Quote:
Because they send surgeons to apply compresses? What?
I've been to ER's (as both patient and concerned relative/friend) where only a generalist was needed and other times when no one knew what the hell was going on and you get a parade of specialists tromping through, all of whom will want to be paid for their time and trouble.

That's part of the issue with ER's - you can't state what a "typical" case is, really, because you get everything from the common cold to limbs ripped off and burn cases arriving with steam still coming off them and exotic diseases picked up on adventure vacations and bog-standard heart attacks and sprained ankles - they have to treat anything and everything. My doctor friends have told me about industrial accidents where someone comes in impaled or wrapped around machine parts and you've got docs tying to do medical stuff while guys from hospital facilities are wielding saws to cut the non-organic bits away from people at the same time. You get all kinds of crazy stuff happening, it all has to be dealt with on the fly, and it all has to be paid for after the fact.

Quote:
If the answer is that they like to accept non-emergencies rather than turn the poor away, why not treat them next door at a separate clinic without the hospital overhead?
Because an ER is required by law to evaluate all comers. ALL of them. There usually isn't a free clinic next door because the "free" clinics, as already noted, can't make enough money to stay open even with lower costs. ER's MUST treat anything life-threatening, and they usually treat anything serious, and in many cases, because the people working in them actually DO give a damn, they'll do whatever they can to help the indigent even if that, strictly speaking, isn't cost effective on the balance sheet.

Quote:
Are they locked into the specific word "hospital" for free treatment?
Not so much that as they know that, no matter what, the ER cannot turn them away. A clinic may well have criteria and if you don't meet it they won't help you - but an ER takes everyone.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Little Nemo Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 72,710
The costs of emergency rooms are so high because there are a lot of different medical emergencies out there. And an ER must theoretically be ready for any of them at a moment's notice. For every item they used on you and billed you for, there were dozens of other items that had to be bought and kept ready just in case but were never used.

Imagine trying to run a restaurant with no menus. You just let the customers order anything they feel like having. To be ready for this, you have to keep thousands of different ingredients in your kitchen. Sure, nobody may order lobster or goose liver or rabbit stew or plum pudding or boiled cabbage today - but you have to have all of these available in case somebody does.

As for billing, people who show up in an ER at three in the morning with a gunshot wound often do not have a solid financial background.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Shodan Shodan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 33,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
As for billing, people who show up in an ER at three in the morning with a gunshot wound often do not have a solid financial background.
I think the guy's name was Robinson, and that he was the former head of the American Hospital Association. His rule of thumb was that any trauma center more than three miles from a major highway would always lose money.

The rationale was that people who present at an emergency center with blunt force trauma from traffic accidents often have insurance. Those who present with penetrating trauma, from gunshot wounds or knives, never do.

If you are mandated to treat everyone whether they can pay or not, you have to charge those who pay more to cover for those who don't.

Regards,
Shodan
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Dewey Finn Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 23,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
The costs of emergency rooms are so high because there are a lot of different medical emergencies out there. And an ER must theoretically be ready for any of them at a moment's notice.
Nitpick: Note that there are different types of emergency rooms. Most people are thinking of level-one trauma centers, which are the ones equipped and staffed for the highest level of care. But some emergency rooms are not so equipped and staffed.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-06-2009, 09:45 AM
MsRobyn MsRobyn is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Between the Moon and NYC
Posts: 13,009
Another issue is that the standard for insurance reimbursement of acute injury and illness changed. In the past, you had to get pre-certified to go to the ER, which meant that the nice customer service rep would deny that certification if they felt that the problem wasn't major enough to justify emergency care. Now the standard is whether a reasonable person would seek emergency care. This saves lives when a child with asthma has an attack or someone has a heart attack or stroke, but it's also pretty wasteful when someone with a minor problem seeks care because it's more convenient for them to do so after hours.

Some insurance plans also require ER visits after hours, no matter how trivial the problem is. Tricare Prime, the insurance program for active duty military, is one such plan. If the local Army clinic is closed for any reason, and one of us needs care, it's an automatic trip to the ER even if the problem could be treated in the office setting. Believe me, it's a treat to deal with the ER for strep throat because the clinic closes at noon on Thursdays.

And in defense of some ERs, they are trying to control costs by hiring physician assistants and nurse practitioners to treat minor problems like sprains, thus freeing doctors for major problems like heart attacks and gunshot wounds. There are also contracts in place to outsource ancillary specialties like radiology and pathology to countries like India and Australia; the patient and treating physician get the report almost immediately, and it's more cost-effective than having a radiologist or pathologist on-premises around the clock. It also saves the patient money because a sprain on Saturday doesn't have to be re-treated as a fracture on Monday when the x-ray has actually been read and the fracture found.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-06-2009, 05:15 PM
iamthewalrus(:3= iamthewalrus(:3= is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
On Friday night about midnight, I was walking downtown, and a man asked me for help. He said that he thought he had had a seizure. I offered to call 911, and he said yes. He also complained vaguely of chest pain, and asked me if it was cold. He kept saying that he didn't know what it was, but something was wrong with him.

He was clearly homeless. He was shaking/shivering some, but it may just have been from the cold. He was wearing thin clothes and had bare feet. When the paramedics came, they told me that they pick him up all the time.

Now, I don't have medical training, so I can't say whether or not this man had a legitimate medical emergency. But he certainly could have used a blanket, a pair of shoes, and a warm bed. I'm sure that there are many people who end up in the emergency room not because they need medical care at all, but because it's warm and a few of their basic needs are met. Met by highly trained and expensive paramedics, nurses, and doctors.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-06-2009, 05:38 PM
dangerismymiddlename.com dangerismymiddlename.com is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
They are not supposed to be free, but they must help everyone, and some never pay the bill. My wife is a Physician, and worries about this all the time. If a patient doesn't pay her bill, then who ends up paying it? She does. As shodan said, "If you are mandated to treat everyone whether they can pay or not (and that IS the case to some extent), you have to charge those who pay more to cover for those who don't." We currently have a national health care system without a detailed policy for those that cannot pay. The patients, the insurance companies, and the Physicians have little means of controlling the costs.

Being "against" national healthcare is meaningless. We have always had it (whether we are talking about traditional Medicaid, traditional Medicare, federal government employees, and yes, those that simply don't pay). The question is whether we want any control over what is happening, or not, in the case of those that cannot pay, and "not" is a just plain stupid way to do business.

I agree with MsRobyn, iamthewalrus(:3=, Little Nemo, Bijou Drains, Shagnasty, etc.

Polycarp said, "hospitals were obliged to write off a certain small percentage of debts, as a part of their Medicaid contract." Even non Medicaid patients get service; write offs are not relevant in that case.

Thank you,
Paul

Last edited by dangerismymiddlename.com; 07-06-2009 at 05:41 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Apocalypso Apocalypso is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Poor person with no medical coverage here. I work in retail hell, and am barely scraping by. I have no insurance and no money for medical bills. I have a doctor that I go to as little as possible, since they charge between $70 and $90 per visit.

When I have medical problems, the doctors office usually won't see me in under 2 weeks no matter what the problem is. The first thing they ask me when I walk in is not "what's your name?", but "do you have insurance?". If I get sick in the winter and miss work, they tell me to go to the emergency room. I had diverticulitis once and went to the doctors office complaining of a severe stomach ache. I was told to go to the emergency room. Would I get turfed to the ER if I had insurance, or would they open their schedule and see me that day? I don't know, but a lot of doctors will tell people to go to the emergency room if something comes up that needs to be treated within the next few days.

I will also point out that the hospital milks as much money from you as they can. When I had the diverticulitis, they put me in a room for 3 days. Literally all they did during this time was give me meds and check my BP. I told them repeatedly that I didn't understand the point of me being there and was told "We have to keep an eye on you". Give me meds, send me home, and I'll check with my doctor in a few days? No, they didn't like that. Then I got hit with a bill for $3000. I'm one crisis away from living in my car, there's no way I can afford to pay this. I got jumped once by about 6 people, and went to the hospital to get a huge gash on my head stitched. They insisted on taking, over my protests, about 50 x-rays of my skull, then sent me a bill for $1000. The strategy is to bill people for as much as possible to attempt to recoup money from people that don't pay, but then I get bad marks on my credit and bill collectors hounding me for money I don't have. If there was a place I got get low cost or free non emergency medical treatment, believe me I'd be there. No one I've ever spoken to at the hospital or my doctor's office has ever suggested one. I've asked and was told they didn't know.

So I tend to let health problems go as long as possible before seeking treatment, then go to the ER and get huge bills that I don't pay. It sucks and I'm aware that I'm contributing to the problems, but I literally don't have any other options.

Last edited by Apocalypso; 07-06-2009 at 06:19 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-06-2009, 09:05 PM
spinky spinky is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypso View Post
I will also point out that the hospital milks as much money from you as they can. When I had the diverticulitis, they put me in a room for 3 days. Literally all they did during this time was give me meds and check my BP. I told them repeatedly that I didn't understand the point of me being there and was told "We have to keep an eye on you". Give me meds, send me home, and I'll check with my doctor in a few days? No, they didn't like that. Then I got hit with a bill for $3000. I'm one crisis away from living in my car, there's no way I can afford to pay this. I got jumped once by about 6 people, and went to the hospital to get a huge gash on my head stitched. They insisted on taking, over my protests, about 50 x-rays of my skull, then sent me a bill for $1000. The strategy is to bill people for as much as possible to attempt to recoup money from people that don't pay, but then I get bad marks on my credit and bill collectors hounding me for money I don't have.
I agree that this is a huge problem, but I don't think their motivations are what you think they are. I think they are quite honestly trying to give you the best medical care they can give you, and are being extremely thorough, and they have the misguided idea that cost should generally not be a consideration. When I go to the doctor, I always have the urge to ask "how much is that going to cost? oh, and how much of that is my insurance going to cover?" because I've felt the pain of paying huge amounts out-of-pocket for care I didn't feel I needed. And this is with great insurance.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-07-2009, 02:16 AM
magellan01 magellan01 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypso View Post
So I tend to let health problems go as long as possible before seeking treatment, then go to the ER and get huge bills that I don't pay. It sucks and I'm aware that I'm contributing to the problems, but I literally don't have any other options.
My heart goes out to you. And my sister was in the same boat. I impressed upon her the importance of having insurance, and that if she couldn't afford to buy it (which she couldn't) she needed to get a job that had it. She, maybe like you, wasn't making a lot of money and was afraid to take a different job that paid less. But she wound up getting a job that paid 50 cents an hour less but gave her insurance. so she wound up with a package that was worth, say, $25,000 instead of $21,000. She got seriously sick not long afterwards. Thanks goodness she went and found a job with insurance. You may want to rethink employment in those terms. I wish you luck. It's really important to have insurance.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-07-2009, 07:58 AM
Fear Itself Fear Itself is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Flavortown
Posts: 34,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan01 View Post
My heart goes out to you. And my sister was in the same boat. I impressed upon her the importance of having insurance, and that if she couldn't afford to buy it (which she couldn't) she needed to get a job that had it. She, maybe like you, wasn't making a lot of money and was afraid to take a different job that paid less. But she wound up getting a job that paid 50 cents an hour less but gave her insurance. so she wound up with a package that was worth, say, $25,000 instead of $21,000. She got seriously sick not long afterwards. Thanks goodness she went and found a job with insurance. You may want to rethink employment in those terms. I wish you luck. It's really important to have insurance.
Of course, many people cannot even find jobs in today's market, so they cannot afford to be picky when one without insurance becomes available. And many employers who previously offered insurance are dropping it because it has become too expensive, or their own finances have taken a hit in this economy. Bottom line: your advice is just salt in the wound of many unemployed people.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Johnny L.A. Johnny L.A. is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 56,439
At a message board dominated by Ron Paul Conservatives, the advice given was to give a false name and address when you go to the ER, so they won't be able to find you to bill you.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Really Not All That Bright Really Not All That Bright is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
I think the guy's name was Robinson, and that he was the former head of the American Hospital Association. His rule of thumb was that any trauma center more than three miles from a major highway would always lose money.

The rationale was that people who present at an emergency center with blunt force trauma from traffic accidents often have insurance. Those who present with penetrating trauma, from gunshot wounds or knives, never do.

If you are mandated to treat everyone whether they can pay or not, you have to charge those who pay more to cover for those who don't.

Regards,
Shodan
It's not so much that they have health insurance, it's that they're likely to have some form of insurance. Most motor vehicle accidents involve an at-fault party, so the ER bill will get paid *eventually* by one of the auto insurers.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-07-2009, 09:57 AM
kayaker kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 25,441
I spent 24 hours in the hospital this weekend, arriving at the ER via ambulance and eventually being admitted. (long story short: vagovagal stuff, hard day kayaking, dehydration, lots beer, all leading to a drop in BP and collapse).

The most surprising thing was how easily the ER found my health insurance info. I arrived sans wallet. With my name and SS number they were able to go online and have everything they needed! It was kinda scary, although it made the process go much easier.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Harriet the Spry Harriet the Spry is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypso View Post
So I tend to let health problems go as long as possible before seeking treatment, then go to the ER and get huge bills that I don't pay. It sucks and I'm aware that I'm contributing to the problems, but I literally don't have any other options.
Have you Googled Community Health Centers and your city or state? Or use this site to search: http://findahealthcenter.hrsa.gov/ This system is not perfect, but it is one other option for affordable non-emergency care. The CHC system is the current recommended alternative to the poor and uninsured overusing ERs. I'm not saying it's adequate, but it's not like the issue is completely unknown and unaddressed.

Last edited by Harriet the Spry; 07-07-2009 at 10:45 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Munch Munch is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Obligatory link to Malcolm Gladwell's New Yorker article, "Million Dollar Murray".
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-07-2009, 04:58 PM
dangerismymiddlename.com dangerismymiddlename.com is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Apocalypso,

I was in the same situation for many years. I certainly didn't mean my response to be against care for the poor. When I mention controlling the situation, I mean that a better policy would put everyone in a better position, even the poor. Being against national health care is unreasonable. We have it, we just do it really badly. Lets stop doing it badly.

Paul
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Broomstick Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 24,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
At a message board dominated by Ron Paul Conservatives, the advice given was to give a false name and address when you go to the ER, so they won't be able to find you to bill you.
People DO that!

I recently had to deal with some jackass who gave a bunch of local clinics, ER's, and doctors MY post office box as his address. So MY box is filling up - LITERALLY filling up (I rent a small box) with HIS crap and I'm having trouble getting my mail. We tried sending it back (me and the post office) but the crap kept coming and coming and coming....

I didn't open any of the mail - that would, of course, have been illegal - but before it was stamped "return to sender" I started calling the medical providers involved and telling them that no, I had no clue who this jerk was; he was not a friend, relative, associate, etc.; I was not covering for him ; I have had that box NINE YEARS so, no, it wasn't a recent change; bottom line HE LIED. He lied MANY TIMES to MANY PEOPLE. No, I have NO WAY to find him, I wish I DID, because not only would I direct all of these many medical providers to him I would ALSO turn his ass in to the Post Office for whatever they could nail him for (mis-use of a PO box? Mail fraud?) AND maybe send over a few folks I know from the construction industry to personally teach him the Error of His Ways. After which he will no doubt need to re-visit the ER, the spinal clinic, and maybe the medical imaging place again as well as the pain clinic and various other establishments.

Yeah, I'm just a little bothered by the hassle....

(No, I would not really hire some thugs. I just fantasize about it. I would not actually do it. I would send lawyers instead. Much scarier)
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Little Nemo Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 72,710
Quote:
I recently had to deal with some jackass who gave a bunch of local clinics, ER's, and doctors MY post office box as his address.
It's like this guy was out there thinking, "Well, I'm going to steal from a bunch of people who saved my life. Hmmm, is there any way I could be a bigger asshole here?"
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-08-2009, 12:49 AM
Broomstick Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 24,721
More likely "I haven't got the money to pay these people who saved my life and don't want collection agencies to make my life a living hell" - but yeah, maybe he's just and out-and-out thief.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.