The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 07-05-2009, 09:16 PM

I need to rent a goat

My fiancee, SoulMate, was recently unhappy with me. The reasons for this are entirely my own doing and stupidity, and I have expressed said sentiments to her repeatedly. She has accepted my apology and has gotten over our argument.

However, I still feel like a jackass and I want to do something nice for her. Jewelry, flowers, romantic dinner...so played out. No, no, I think I'd like to do something special.

I want to rent a goat. One goat, smallish, for an evening. I am 110% confident she will love this. Problem is, I'm having a heck of a time figuring out to rent a goat.

So, if anyone knows where I can rent a goat in Atlanta or anywhere in North Georgia, I would really, really like to know.

Alternatively, if nobody knows where I can rent a goat, the option is open for me to purchase a goat. However, I do not want a permanent goat - if I were to purchase a goat, what could I do to transfer said goat into a more permanent home immediately? If I just take him to a goat farm, will they love him? Or are we saddled with an overabundance of goats in Georgia already?

This is so frustrating.
Advertisements  
Old 07-05-2009, 09:28 PM

OK, I'll bite, as a goat lover, who's kept some. Why do you need a goat for an evening, do tell. I'm curious enough to look for some goat farms in your area, through sustainable ag connections... but, do tell yer logic here.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:29 PM

One could always troll Craiglist; however you could consider looking on sites that have message boards and cater to homesteaders and small farmers both for rental and/or purchase/rehome.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:36 PM

I'm rather afraid to respond, since I am in Very North Georgia and indeed, do have goats.

What do you plan to do with a goat for an evening? Mine are pygmies and pets. Not real interested in warping their curious little minds. I also know where you can buy goats for about $25.

Last edited by Auntbeast; 07-05-2009 at 09:37 PM..
Old 07-05-2009, 09:40 PM

20 minutes and Soul has gotten two leads for a goat in North Georgia. Gawd, I love this place.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:57 PM

Upon re-reading my initial post - specifically the "smallish" and "for an evening" portions - I have come to regret my wording.

Let me explain my logic here so that all involved are satisfied that I do not with to sacrifice, eat, or molest said goat.

The Lights Of Life Celebration is an annual, massive display of Christmas lights here in Marietta, Georgia. Put on by Life University, the nearby chiropractic college, it is an absolutely beautiful display of lighting, imagination, and holiday spirit. For some reason, there's also a guy that brings a bunch of goats that you can pet.

SoulMate likes the lights, but LOVES the goats. In September of each year she starts talking about the soon-to-arrive goats and how she'll pet the goats and nuzzle the goats and love the goats and - possibly - name the goats Edward (every goat she has ever seen, she has named Edward). This goes on until she is nearly bursting in December, when she can finally pet the goats.

We go, with her family, and pet the goats. She is absolutely enraptured by this.

About a month ago, we had a bit of extra cash (unusual for us in this economy, since we're both in sales) and thought we'd treat ourselves to something. She jokingly said she wanted a goat - she, of course, knows that we can't keep one long-term because our home and yard aren't set up well for pets, but she would like to have a pair someday.

Anyway, her family has gone to the Lights of Life ever since she was a wee child, and the whole thing is extra-special magical for her. Edward the Goats are her favorite part and have been for ages. Since it was shortly after the Lights of Life last year that I proposed to her, I thought she'd not only like to have a goat to play with for an evening in light of her love of the festival, but also because the timing would bring up happy memories of our becoming engaged.

The short version: I really, really, really do not want to have sex with, on, or around a goat. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:03 PM

Do you know exactly how she is going to feel when you take away "her goat" after just one evening?

Are you absolutely sure she will not fall in love with it and want to keep the poor goat "forever".

Last edited by Mangosteen; 07-05-2009 at 10:04 PM..
Old 07-05-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul View Post
I want to rent a goat. One goat, smallish, for an evening. I am 110% confident she will love this. However, I do not want a permanent goat . . .
Aren't there laws against these kinds of kinky shenanigans?

Will the goat respect you in the morning?

Oh, never mind. It's probably OK.

It's Georgia.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:20 PM

I need to rent a goat

Chronolicht? Is that you?
Old 07-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

I have never heard of a goat rental service but baby goats are cheap. Your only hope is to find someone that has one and borrow it. I posted in another goat thread (why are there so many?) that goats are like brain-damaged, drunken, and stoned frat brothers that are still great fun to hang out with. We had a few when I was growing up and there was this one goat, William, that loved to come in the house with us when my mother wasn't home, sit on the couch, watch TV, and eat popcorn. You could get her a pygmy goat. They are adorable and don't require much space but they do require some money.

Last edited by Shagnasty; 07-05-2009 at 10:39 PM..
Old 07-05-2009, 10:46 PM

Mangosteen: She would be devastated if we kept Mr. Goat - we can't financially support another mouth. As it is, she has a great head on her shoulders, and I think I know her well enough to predict that her reaction will be a delighted shriek, a glance for reassurance that "We...we're not keeping Mr. Goat, right?" and then quickly to the work of nuzzling a new bald spot.

Sailor: The goat will not be used for sex OR munitions.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:57 PM

A well-known producer of goat cheese here in TN offers tours of their farm by appt: Bonnie Blue Farm. Rather than rent a single goat, why not surprise her with a trip to a goat farm? I'm sure there has to be a few within a couple of hours of Marietta.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Chronolicht? Is that you?
Heh...first thing I thought of too. I can't believe that thread is that old! (Maybe time for a reunion tour of the band?)
Old 07-05-2009, 11:10 PM

I'm glad I'm working alone in this office -- the wild cackling could have made the co-workers look at me funny... errr.... funnier.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:19 AM

Ok, she can't pet them but you should take her to Goats On The Roof. http://www.tigergoats.com/

Also, The Dillard House has a petting zoo that has a billion goats. (which they will sell for $25).

And if you go as far as either of those, I'm not much further away and have two pygmy goats. And 11 chickens, 1 turkey, 2 box turtles, 10 trout, 6 snails, 1 bullfrog tadpole, 2 dogs and a possibly pregnant cat. Oh, and an adorable 3 year old. I don't charge admission.

FYI: Goats don't really need much room. Mine share a dog house and are doing a damned poor job of weed eating my acre. They are however, excellent grape vine fertilizers. Never get one goat. They are not loners. They are however, an excellent source of amusement. I understand her love of goats. When asked why I was moving, I would tell folks it was because I wanted goats.

http://s461.photobucket.com/albums/q...east/Critters/

Last edited by Auntbeast; 07-06-2009 at 12:20 AM..
Old 07-06-2009, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Seems to me if she loves goats that a visit to a goat farm would make more sense than renting a goat. Better yet, you might be able to take her back to said goat farm more than once so she can get a frequent goat fix.

If she REALLY loves goats she might be able to volunteer at an animal shelter that has goats, or at one when it gets goats. I've known a number of people who couldn't have a particular pet of their own who nonetheless get their critter fix this way.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntbeast View Post
Ok, she can't pet them but you should take her to Goats On The Roof. http://www.tigergoats.com/
So there's no kinky shenanigans. Just goat see.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:41 AM

Look for one of those "Children's Petting Zoo Party" places. They usually provide a variety of animals for an afternoon.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Too bad you don't live in the Seattle area:

http://www.rent-a-ruminant.com/
Old 07-06-2009, 09:58 AM

Might these guys be of service?
Old 07-06-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post
Too bad you don't live in the Seattle area:

http://www.rent-a-ruminant.com/
I wonder if they are related to Confuse-A-Cat, Ltd. (incorporating Amaze-a-Vole, Bewilderbeest, etc.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2Je1CEPkUM
Old 07-06-2009, 10:45 AM

Anyone else teetering on the brink of falling in love with SoulMate purely because she names all goats Edward?
Old 07-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
Anyone else teetering on the brink of falling in love with SoulMate purely because she names all goats Edward?

Earlier I was going to say, "When she dumps you due to the recent unhappiness you caused her, give her my number, 'cause she sounds cute as a bug" but I figured it would be disrespectful.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turek View Post
Earlier I was going to say, "When she dumps you due to the recent unhappiness you caused her, give her my number, 'cause she sounds cute as a bug" but I figured it would be disrespectful.
Cute as a bug is right - on top of naming all goats Edward, she's 4'11" and wears pearls everywhere.

Auntbeast, you nailed it! I have never head of this Goats on the Roof thing before, but she will LOVE IT! She's watching her niece and nephews right now, but if her brother gets off work early (IOW if it starts raining in Atlanta - he operates a crane) then she'll get home early and I will pop her into the car and drive her out there today. Have you been before?

And I love the pictures - but I think even SoulMate would agree that your daughter beats out Edward for cuteness.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:27 AM

My limited but varied experience of goats makes me think that there's goats, and then there's goats. Some goats is mean. Some goats is teh cute. Can you find out what kind, exactly, of goats the Lights of Life guy has?
Old 07-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The short version: I really, really, really do not want to have sex with, on, or around a goat. Sorry for the confusion.
Er, if SoulMate is pleased at your surprise, you might want to reconsider that... or at least the "around" part of it, as surely that just might be a logical result of her happiness

That said - see if there are any places near you that provide petting zoos for events. A friend of ours had such a place (complete with pony ride) set up in her backyard for a birthday party. One such, in Georgia:
http://www.pettingzoofarm.com/Georgia.html
Old 07-06-2009, 01:21 PM

Goats on the Roof! I drove by twice yesterday!

It's a bit of a drive from the city, though. From here in Gwinnett county, it's a good 80 miles. Perhaps a closer petting zoo is the answer.

I have a neighbor who has dozens of goats in Lilburn of all places. I could ask if they mind an occasional petting.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Cute as a bug is right - on top of naming all goats Edward, she's 4'11" and wears pearls everywhere.
Even in her...oh...you mean to all the places she travels. Never mind.

PS: Just kidding.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:48 PM

If you can't get a goat you may have to settle for the squid......it's around here someplace
Old 07-06-2009, 03:11 PM

We just arrived at Goats on the Roof. This is great - she is thrilled!
Old 07-06-2009, 04:24 PM

Update - we continued north to The Dillard House and she loved that, too. She is really excited! Thanks for all of your help, guys!
Old 07-06-2009, 04:39 PM

Dillard House ... yum!
Old 07-06-2009, 05:44 PM

Fine dining after a special surprise trip to see cute critters? Ur doin it rite.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:14 PM

(Note: if a passing mod sees this thread, I think we've gotten pretty well into MPSIMS territory now)

Well guys, I just wanted to report that we've just gotten back home from Goats on the Roof and the petting zoo at the Dillard House. SoulMate absolutely adored it and had a spectacular time. She started shrieking like crazy when we drove up to GotR - it was great!

Thank you all for helping me to make her ridiculously happy. She and her new stuffed goat (named - you won't believe it - Edward) are sitting across from me right now gleefully uploading pictures to Facebook. Once she's done, I'll host them somewhere you don't have to have a subscription or be her friend to view and share with you guys. Some of them are almost unbearably cute.

Thank you!! Especially you, Auntbeast - I propose your new nickname be The Goat Whisperer.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaliminal View Post
Fine dining after a special surprise trip to see cute critters? Ur doin it rite.
Unless you went to an Indian restaurant which serves mutton.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:19 PM
graphite is a great moderator

Moved at the (intelligent) request of the OP.

samclem Moderator, General Questions
Old 07-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

How about a sheep?
http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/...pg?w=500&h=332
Old 07-07-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjimm View Post
Might these guys be of service?
I have a sudden need for a llama now.

I blame you, jjimm!
Old 07-07-2009, 10:27 AM

I've been to Goats On The Roof several times. Yes, I have the T-shirt. It is pure, old fashioned, old 441 tourist trap goodness. Fantastic place.

I would love to see the pics. I like being an enabler.

Actually, I had a hard time locating goats when we moved here. Stalking GOTR didn't help. I bought a shirt that said "goat herder" on the back and told my husband to make me stop being a liar. I actually found my goats about a mile down the road, on a road called Booger Hollow. They really are great pets. I recently took them on a hike and they were perfect on the trail. I just need some saddle bags for them.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Nice ... um ... pearls.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:08 AM

I wanna go to a goat farm now!

What a great guy you are for feeding her goat-fetish.

That last line sounded wrong.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

My next door neighbor just borrowed a bale of hay for his fainting goats. They are very cute, and the two kids weren't happy when I helped him tag their ears a couple weeks ago.

StG
Old 07-07-2009, 11:52 AM

Love the expressions on their faces.

We've been thinking about getting a couple of goats. We have a goodly amount of poison ivy around the perimeter of the property. I seem to be immune, but my kids and wife aren't, as it turns out. I hear goats eat the stuff.

And we've already decided that they'd be named Larry.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:52 AM

I have a coworker who has a couple acres and has goats, donkeys and a mini horse. Another coworker and I will be visiting his farm and going with him to pick up his new baby llama! I'm excited, Llama day is Friday. I will suggest Edward for a name.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turek View Post
Nice ... um ... pearls.

One consequence of my being 6'1" and her being 4'11" is that nearly every picture I take of her contains massive boobage. It's a good problem to have, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:05 PM

I'm only asking since our attention has already been directed to her, um, chestal region, but I'm dying to know- what does she have stowed in there- money? a hankie? instructions on the care and feeding of a goat?
Old 07-07-2009, 03:10 PM

Good to see that Edward takes an interest in the driving and navigation responsibilities.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:20 PM

You guys make a great couple.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:45 PM

...and your fiancee's not bad either.