The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 07-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Print large image on multiple pages?

I have a BMP file that is set up as 45" x 30". I am trying to figure out how to print it on multiple pages (so I can tape it back together again). To do this in Word I would have to copy the image onto each page and manually set the crop to get the right section on each page. Otherwise it just shows the scaled-down image or a section of it on a single page. If I create a PDF with Acrobat, it creates a single page using the 45 x 30 paper size.

Is there a simple way to do this without digitally cutting the picture up manually into page-size pieces?
Advertisements  
Old 07-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Check your print driver. Some will do stuff like this. From File > Print, choose Properties, then look through the tabs for multi-page scaling options.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:21 PM

Ha! Found it! I stumbled upon this a few days ago:

http://www.blockposters.com/
Old 07-09-2009, 12:20 AM

Try this

http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/

Warning this program is not printer ink friendly :-)
Old 07-09-2009, 12:56 AM

I use to use a poster program but you can do this with Excel just as easily. simply expand the picture to multiple pages and print it out. Change your margins to suit your gluing needs (I would use .5 inch margins). you'll want to cut some pages at the edge of the picture and leave some margins so you can glue them up. If you use Excel start by pasting the picture into it and then reducing the zoom to 25%. If your picture already takes more than one page when you paste the image in then hit print preview and then close out of print preview. You do this to establish where the page edges are which will show up as a grid. You can now size your picture to match up with the number of pages you want it to fill. To maximize paper use, you can change the print to landscape as well as use 8 1/2 x 14 paper size.

Tip of the day. Use glue sticks and after you've glued up all the pages flip it over and use wide clear tape to bind the glued areas. This will make the poster easy to handle and the glued joints won't come apart.

Last edited by Magiver; 07-09-2009 at 12:59 AM..
Old 07-09-2009, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

I looked at blockposter, and I'd already heard of rasterbator. Those programs take a small image and blow it up on multiple pages. I don't think they'll help me, although it's possible they will be able to print multiple pages 1:1. I didn't take the time to try, because Excel was at my fingertips and does exactly what I need completely automatically. Thanks Magiver!
Old 07-09-2009, 09:54 AM

A bit late to the party, but MSPaint will do it also.

Go to Page Setup and set up your poster size in the scaling section. n pages by n pages.