The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 07-13-2009, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Cigarette brands that used to be popular, but which are now rare or nonexistent

I'm not a smoker, except for the occasional cigar. Still, I was a child of the 1970s, who grew up in a family that was culturally rooted in the 1940s and 1950s, so I was one of those kids who had parents, relatives, and every other adult puffing away like chimneys around him. My house was filled with massive dinner-plate ashtrays, as were the homes of my friends and relatives.

A whle back, I saw some commercials on youtube for a brand of cigarettes called "Spud". Really. I thought that was such a stupid name for a cigarette, but apparently up until the 1960s it was one of the nation's most popular cigarette brands. Today, it's extinct.

What other brands were common until relatively recently, but which are now impossible to find or now extinct? Consider "until relatively recently" to mean the 1950s at the earliest; I don't think many still alive will remember "Colonel Thom. P. Hunter's Remember The Maine! Little Cigar-Ettes" or something like that to be recent.

Last edited by elmwood; 07-13-2009 at 09:36 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 07-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

I always think of Lucky Strike. They seem to be in a lot of old murder mysteries I've read.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:20 PM

Lucky strike and Pall Mall's are the two that come to mind. They're the cigs my grandparents smoked when I was little. You can still buy Pall Mall's, but they're not very popular.

Oh, Benson & Hedges are another I just remembered as typing this.

Last edited by Mr Buttons; 07-13-2009 at 10:21 PM..
Old 07-13-2009, 10:21 PM

A couple of years ago I was listening to a replay of an old radio episode of Dragnet from the 50's or early 60's, and the main sponsor was Fatima cigarettes. I've never heard of them anywhere else.

Last edited by Ponch8; 07-13-2009 at 10:22 PM..
Old 07-13-2009, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

The OP reminds me of Who owns the zebra?

1. There are five houses.
2. The Englishman lives in the red house.
3. The Spaniard owns the dog.
4. Coffee is drunk in the green house.
5. The Ukrainian drinks tea.
6. The green house is immediately to the right of the ivory house.
7. The Old Gold smoker owns snails.
8. Kools are smoked in the yellow house.
9. Milk is drunk in the middle house.
10. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
11. The man who smokes Chesterfields lives in the house next to the man with the fox.
12. Kools are smoked in the house next to the house where the horse is kept.
13. The Lucky Strike smoker drinks orange juice.
14. The Japanese smokes Parliaments.
15. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.

Now, who drinks water? Who owns the zebra?

Old Gold, Parliaments, Chesterfields, Kools, Lucky Strike. I'll have to see how many of those are at the mini-mart next time I go.

I've just re-read Bored Of The Rings for the first time in many years. The mounted soldiers (on sheep, not horses) were called the Roi-Tan -- after the cigars.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:31 PM

My mom smoked Barclay's in the 80's. I haven't seen them in years.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:39 PM

Both my folks smoked "Players". I think the ad used to say something like "Players if you please" - whatever that meant.

Also, because they were Irish, I remember them going a bit daft over "Sweet Aftons" when they could get them.

Further note, they used to look down on people who smoked "Woodbines" as these were
considered inferior.

This would have been 60's. in UK.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Oh, Lucky Strike for sure.

I'm surprised Double Happiness cigarettes never took off in America.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

Senior Service
Old 07-13-2009, 11:39 PM

Tareytons. They used to have ads with pictures of Tareyton smokers all beaten up, reading "I'd rather fight than switch!" I guess they finally got quashed.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:46 PM
Screwing the unscrutable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Bobo View Post
Both my folks smoked "Players".
I did too, but I think the USA Players were different from the UK Players. Black pack, flip top, gold lettering. ETA: Here's a scan of the pack: http://www.oklahoma-outlet.com/image...rs_100_box.jpg

I quit in 1999, and they were becoming rare then. I could only get them at a smoke shop by special order.

I don't think I've seen them in at least 8 years.

Last edited by Rico; 07-13-2009 at 11:49 PM..
Old 07-13-2009, 11:58 PM

101's, "a silly millimeter longer"

BTW, Camels are not sold in the Middle East.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 07-14-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
I did too, but I think the USA Players were different from the UK Players. Black pack, flip top, gold lettering. ETA: Here's a scan of the pack: http://www.oklahoma-outlet.com/image...rs_100_box.jpg

I quit in 1999, and they were becoming rare then. I could only get them at a smoke shop by special order.

I don't think I've seen them in at least 8 years.
The Players my folks favoured were in a white packet with a somewhat naval theme with an anchor and ropes/lanyard and possibly a sailor figure. They were what was then called "untipped" which meant they had no filter (I think).

This was a very long time ago, my folks expired when I was young and my memories are a bit dim.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:56 AM
Go Tribe!

Lark?
Old 07-14-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmagirl View Post
Lark?
Yep.

Kent.

Viceroy.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Silva Thins
L&M
Old 07-14-2009, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Why are there only 24 letters in the new alphabet?
L & M got kicked out for smoking.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:46 AM

My dad smoked Vantages for years. When I smoked, I tried them a couple of times. They were weird because they had a hole through the filter.

I never see Vantages in gas stations or stores anymore.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:28 AM

Are "Sir Walter Raleigh" cigs still made? Aren't most cigarette brands like gasoline? (same stuff with different labels)?
Old 07-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

I went to the mini-mart for a cuppa joe and a breakfast burrito, and I noticed they carried Pall Mall, L & M, and Parliament in addition to the more popular brands.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:01 AM

Lucky Strike is not only still around, it's one of British American Tobacco Plc's four global "drive" brands. However, it's sold mainly outside the U.S. now -- Germany, Spain, Japan, France and Argentina are among key markets,according to BAT's website. By volume, Lucky Strike sales rose 9 percent to 25 billion cigarettes in 2008.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
My dad smoked Vantages for years. When I smoked, I tried them a couple of times. They were weird because they had a hole through the filter.

I never see Vantages in gas stations or stores anymore.
My wife is a very brand-loyal Vantage Menthol smoker, and is always on the look-out for a store that sells them.

Last edited by PoorYorick; 07-14-2009 at 10:08 AM..
Old 07-14-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph124c View Post
Are "Sir Walter Raleigh" cigs still made? Aren't most cigarette brands like gasoline? (same stuff with different labels)?
Most people can't tell the difference between their favorite brand and others in blind tests. Marlboro was a failed cigarette brand aimed at women until they branded it as a manly smoke for the rugged individual.

Odesio
Old 07-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers View Post
Tareytons. They used to have ads with pictures of Tareyton smokers all beaten up, reading "I'd rather fight than switch!" I guess they finally got quashed.
Tarrytons are still around. Tarryton Lights, which was my brand of choice in the 1970s, seems to have disappeared. I see Kent in large tobaco stores, but not your basic grocery store rack.

I remember a brand called True that seems to have faded away.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:23 AM
of the Gladiators

Phillip Morris Commanders.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

They probably were never popular in the US, but my aunt used to smoke du Mauriers (until she developed cancer).

There was a Spud cigarettes in the 1930s
Old 07-14-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Bobo View Post
The Players my folks favoured were in a white packet with a somewhat naval theme with an anchor and ropes/lanyard and possibly a sailor figure. They were what was then called "untipped" which meant they had no filter (I think).

This was a very long time ago, my folks expired when I was young and my memories are a bit dim.
Players with that theme are still sold today in Canada - they were my parents' choice. Then Mom quit and Dad got cheap and rolls his own.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
Tarrytons are still around. Tarryton Lights, which was my brand of choice in the 1970s, seems to have disappeared. I see Kent in large tobaco stores, but not your basic grocery store rack.

Yep. I smoked True Cigarettes for a couple years. They were very mild, heavily filtered.
My dad smoked Viceroys, and a little bitch called "Between the Acts." They came in a tin box of 10, I believe. When I tried one I gagged and coughed and almost barfed. STRONG is the word for these little monsters.
Never could finish one.
Oh yeah, dad died of a heart attack at 59 yrs old.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:39 PM

Hello, my name is _xiaowenti_ and I am a smoker. Who hasn't had a cigarette in nearly 13 years. I was hard core -- I smoked Pall Mall unfiltered. I think that it is nearly impossible now to find an unfiltered cig (but as I do not smoke, I do not know definitively). Father - Camels (un), mother Winstons, Grandparents, Chesterfields. Aunt (Pall Malls (un)).
Old 07-14-2009, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

There's a thread on the Urban Toronto forum showing pictures of a grittier and less cosmopolitan Toronto in the mid-twentieth century; the number of tobacco ads on buildings is remarkable.

Link.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:15 PM

This applies to the southern U.S.

Lucky Strike non-filtered are still available just about everywhere. The Filters are hard to find and I read that they recently stopped making Lucky Lights.

I have been an on and off Benson & Hedges smoker for 20 years and they're still available, but never on sale, so they're full premium price (about $45 a carton here).

Pall Mall redesigned their packs about 10 years ago and became a cheap brand and are available everywhere. The non-filters are still a premium, in their original pack, and harder to find.

Chesterfield non-filter used to be everywhere, but I haven't looked in years. I know they're still available, because I've seen people smoking them. There are Chesterfield filters and lights available in overseas markets. I haven't seen the 101's since I was a kid (although Camel's long cigarettes are now called 99's....one silly millimeter shorter?)

Parliaments are everywhere and even available in Menthol and Full Flavor, and were cheap for a while. Not so sure now. A good friend of mine smokes Parliament Lights.

There was a U.S. version of Players that I used to get sometimes when I was a teenager...they came in a black pack. I haven't seen those in years. When I go to Canada, I see them everywhere, but not in the black pack.

Raleighs and BelAires used to be at most stores, but hidden behind the counter, and then they redesigned the packs and they became a cheap brand sometime in the early 90s. I haven't seen Raleighs in years, but I'm pretty sure I saw BelAires in their classic pack in a tobacco shop recently.

I bought a pack of Tareytons sometime in the past two years, so I guess they're still around. Haven't seen them since though.

Kent is definitely still around, but they don't taste the same as they did years ago. Not sure about Viceroy.

L&M recently redesigned their pack and became a cheap brand. They taste like they're made with the loose tobacco swept up off the floor at the cigarette factory.

I saw True on display at a gas station a few months ago and picked up a pack. They still have that funny little plastic insert in the filter and still feel like you're smoking air.

I still remember the very distinctive smell of a Winston...they actually smelled good. When they switched over to their "no additives" blend about 10 years ago, they never tasted or smelled the same again.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

In San Francisco and Portland I see people smoking Parliament Lights more than any other brand other than Marlboro Lights.

They are extremely popular.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:27 PM

Haven't seen Picayune mentioned. Unfiltered, strong enough to use as a weapon.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar View Post
Camels are not sold in the Middle East.
You can buy them here.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:32 PM

English Ovals? (not impossible to find in central NJ in the early 1970s)
Old 07-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norvalnormal View Post
English Ovals? (not impossible to find in central NJ in the early 1970s)
And in New York as far back as the 1920's, which is about the provenance of this (now covered) wall sign.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:06 PM

My parents used to smoke Vantage, haven't seen those for awhile. Oh, fond childhood memories of being made to walk to the store to buy my mom cigarettes. I remember the pack had a blue target on it.

I hosted a visiting artist guy from Sweden in grad school 6 years ago, and he only smoked Lucky Strike. Easy to find in Sweden, hard to find in the US, apparently.

Now I smoke Swisher Sweets Little Cigars Milds, and those are getting really hard to find for some reason.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:19 PM

Virginia Slims

Slogan: "You've got your own cigarette now baby, you've come a long, long way!!"

Ad showing woman with a job, enjoying a smoke. Might be seen as a 'little' sexist now.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:59 PM

Both my parents smoked Camel “shorts.” The last time I was able to actually talk to my father he was in the sun room of the Cleveland Clinic with a Camel in one hand and a ventilator mouth piece in the other. Mother gave up smoking about 40 years ago. Of course, I smoked Camels as a youth and in the Army. A carton of cigs at the PX was $2.50. Two packs would fit nicely in an ammo pouch. Grandmother smoked Pall Malls – as far as I could tell they were just long Camels.

Half packs of cigarettes came with Army field rations. The Army gave us Green Circle Luckies and Chesterfields. You had to be careful of the Luckies because they had been packed before the Korean War and when lit tended to flair up enough to set fire to your nose hair.

After much brow-beating by Mrs G I switched to a pipe as a compromise that got her off my back and still allowed a nicotine fix. That was more than 35 years ago. I still yearn for a Camel every once in a while.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:59 PM
ComeToTheDarkSideWeHaveCookies ComeToTheDarkSideWeHaveCookies is offline

Both of my parents used to smoke True Blue 100s, which I have not seen in a long time, but my mom didn't smoke for most of my life until after my dad died in 2002. Now she smokes Marlboro Lights.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:05 PM

Anyone remember Eve cigarettes, with the psychedelic curly-ques.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

What happened to More cigarettes? They were the extra long cigarettes. I last saw them around 1990.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers View Post
We'll all smoke Tarryltons 500 years in the future. If you don't smoke Tarryltons, fuck you!
Old 07-15-2009, 07:29 AM

Winston tastes bad like the one I just had,
No filter, no taste, they're an eighty-cent waste!

You can tell pretty much how old someone is by the amount they use when they recall this schoolyard ditty. We sang "eighty-cent waste", but I once ran into a guy significantly older than me who instinctively recalled Winstons being a "20-cent waste"! Are kids up to four or five bucks yet? Or do they text each other about porn stars these days? And I guess snide comments like that are kind of an age marker too, right?
Old 07-15-2009, 08:10 AM

When I worked at a grocery store, there was one old guy, Mr. Jimmy, who came in for his Chesterfields. He was the only person I ever saw buy them. He was also a walking argument against smoking. Apart from the 5-yard aura of ashtray smell, he looked like he had been pickled in tobacco juice and then smoked in a tobacco barn. Imagine a cashew that has been stained brown with varnish. Now you know the appearance of his teeth and fingernails.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypno-Toad View Post
When I worked at a grocery store, there was one old guy, Mr. Jimmy, who came in for his Chesterfields. He was the only person I ever saw buy them. He was also a walking argument against smoking. Apart from the 5-yard aura of ashtray smell, he looked like he had been pickled in tobacco juice and then smoked in a tobacco barn. Imagine a cashew that has been stained brown with varnish. Now you know the appearance of his teeth and fingernails.
so you're saying Mr. Jimmy looked pretty ill
Old 07-15-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Saltlick View Post
Winston tastes bad like the one I just had,
No filter, no taste, they're an eighty-cent waste!

You can tell pretty much how old someone is by the amount they use when they recall this schoolyard ditty.
Kids in my home town (suburban Cleveland) must not have been as price-conscious as most. I learned the same first line, but it was followed by "No filter, no flavor, just a rolled-up piece of paper."
Old 07-15-2009, 11:46 PM

My dad smoked Bel-Airs for the decades, up until the doctor put a stent in his heart and ordered him to quit. He is the only person I've ever seen smoking Bel-Air cigarettes.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whole bean View Post
so you're saying Mr. Jimmy looked pretty ill
anyone?
Old 07-16-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post

Damn! You guys stole my thunder! I remember those Tareyton ads in magazines when I was a kid...I'm pretty sure the slogan was "We'd rather light than fight", and a married couple would be pictured, each with a black eye...and a cigarette.

Imagine if they tried to run an ad like that today, if they could.

And my Grandma smoked Trues. They had that weird mercedes benz-symbol shaped plastic filter piece in them.