How do you use concealer on a zit when it's scabbed over?

Just now my daughter asked me for help with this. Yesterday a zit on the bridge of her nose was smooth-surfaced, and easily concealed. But today it had an uneven scab surface. The concealer sank into the tiny crevices, so that the dark eminences stood out even more boldly. In other words, instead of helping, the concealer actually made it look worse. I used some foundational powder over that–Clinique Perfectly Real, which is some really good stuff, it’s a powder compact that covers like a foundation–and the result was pretty satisfactory, the zit became inconspicuous.

I was just wondering how everyone else deals with this problem. (I don’t get zits, so this is the first time I’ve needed to figure this out.)

I was just reading something similar in Good Houskeeping. (I know…but my Mother in law got me a subscription - how’s that for a hint?)

It says “Counter the drying effects of pimple medications by rubbing on a noncomedigenic, oil-free lotion or eye gel (which tends to be non-oily) before concealing. …Give the moisturizer about a minute to sink in, then apply concealer with a small brush or clean finger.”

Hope it works for her!

makes sense… I’ll have to try it next time it happens to me. (happens more often than I’d care for)

I’ve never had any success using a creamy concealer over that kind of blemish,* and only slightly more success with Bare Minerals. Mostly, I just leave it alone. I’m imperfect, I can live with that.

*Which, like Serenata67, happens way more often than I’d like. If I hadn’t already been an atheist, the fact that there exists an actual need for a product called “anti-wrinkle/anti-blemish moisturizer” would have dissuaded me from the idea of a benevolent God.