Which Californian city? (California Conservation Corps related)

I’m currently researching options for after my term in Americorps NCCC ends this November. I’ve decided there’s no way in hell that I’m moving home, and my first choice (Air Force Reserves) is looking less and less likely because of a mysterious thyroid problem which may end up disqualifying me. So I need something else to do. I’ve thought about California Conservation Corps before, and as I’m 24, next year would be my last chance to do it. The CCC offers both residential and non-residential centers; I want to apply for a residential center, as I don’t have the funds available to afford an apartment in a large city. My options are:

CCC Camarillo, in Oxnard, CA.
CCC Humboldt County, in Fortuna, CA.
CCC San Luis Obispo, in San Luis Obispo, CA.
CCC El Dorado County, in Greenwood, CA.
CCC Tahoe, in Meyers, CA.
CCC Ukiah, in Ukiah, CA.
CCC Placer, in Auburn, CA.

Although I lived in Los Angeles for a summer back in 2007, I’m not familiar with any of these towns. I’m trying to find a good place for me to live for about a year, with the option of staying in California permanently and going to school. I can handle the work. The work is not a problem. My goals are to escape my abusive family, find a nice place to live, work actively, and make lots of friends. I know about other programs like VISTA and so forth – that’s not what I’m hear to talk about. What I need to know is which of these towns will be the best fit for me.

I’m 24, female, no college degree (not for lack of trying), two years of Americorps under my belt, lived all over the country, flexible, open-minded, sort of hippie/punk/DIY/metalhead. I have no preference for either northern or southern California. I’m marginally more familiar with SoCal, as I lived in L.A., but outside of that the only places I’ve been were Bakersfield and Monterey. I enjoy traveling, cultural events like going to museums, hiking, swimming, going to metal concerts, that sort of thing. Generally I’m thrilled to have a bed, wifi, and a library. I’m a city girl. I’m trying to read through the CCC website’s entries about the residential centers, but my internet is being testy and I’m having to fight it even to write this post. Anyway, with what I’ve told you in mind, which of these towns do you think would be a good fit for me? Which have activities that would appeal to me? Friendly, warm people in my age range? The hottest guys? :wink:

SLO- San Luis Obispo. It’s a college town, close to the coast, a couple of hours from LA, (relatively) close to Santa Barbabra. Mild climate. Near enough to several places to travel to for anything you need that the town doesn’t provide.

SLO, followed by Tahoe and Placer. Camarillo is a pit, and Fortuna is behind the Redwood Curtain, where there be stoners and hippies and dragons.

Camarillo. Suburb of Ventura and L.A, striking distance of beaches. Kind of representative of California urban sprawl, but nicer than all SoCal inland counties.

Fortuna, CA. I’ve got a fond spot for Humboldt County. Arcata is cool and Eureka is interesting. I’m guessing Fortuna is less nice, but within striking distance of the former. That part of California is pretty gorgeous.

San Luis Obispo, in San Luis Obispo, CA. Killer college town. Close to nice beaches. Make sure you live on the SLO side of the mountains, meaning avoid Paso Robles. The weather difference is like night and day.

Greenwood, CA. Next to Redding, a hick town. Hotter than fuck, but close to beautiful stuff like Mount Shasta, Lassen and Redwood National Park.

Meyers, CA. Don’t mistake the term Tahoe. Hicksville USA, and a lifetime away from San Francisco (although a quick drive). This is in the heart of the central valley (Either hot or cold), and I think I’ve been through it.

Ukiah, in Ukiah. Not sure, close to Napa wine country.

Placer, CA. Sierra Nevada foothills. Extremely beautiful. Close to Tahoe. I’m guessing the roads around there are a bitch.

Sweet! I’m leaning towards SLO, as it seems like the biggest town with the most to do, and it’s conveniently sort of between my friends in L.A., my friend in Bakersfield, and my friends in Monterey.

SLO is probably one of the nicest places to live in California.

I live in Santa Barbara, which isn’t that far from SLO and I love it there. If I wasn’t a liberal arts guy I would love t go to Cal Poly, if only for the city.

Yeah, it is kinda halfway between a wine town like Sonoma and farm town. Also hot as fuck, but not as hicksville as Greenwood or Meyers. Also a bit more liberal. Kinda pleasant in its own way, but I think SLO sounds like a better fit - it’s substantially larger, has a more pleasant climate and more of those “college town”-type amenities.

Hmmm…Meyers is also known as Tahoe Paradise located on highway 50 between Echo summit and Lake Tahoe at 5,400 feet elevation, the only valley there is Christmas Valley. But hey, I only worked there for 8 years…

Dear Lord, those are awful, *awful *choices. The only place that could possibly be worse is Redding. SLO and Tahoe are the only tolerable options you’ve presented.

I’ll agree with others that San Luis Obispo is the best option. However, all of those towns are big enough to have at least a Community College. Is there anything you want to take at Cuesta College?

I don’t think Oxnard is so awful, being adjacent to Ventura and just over the hill from the San Fernando Valley. But I still agree that SLO is the #1 choice on your list.

I don’t know Fortuna specifically but it’s probably similar to Ukiah. Foggy and cool most of the year. Winter weather might be worse in Fortuna. Auburn seems pretty nice, I don’t remember it snowing much if at all there, but a bit east it comes down heavy.

If it’s this Meyers, not the one Darryl Lict is talking about, then it seems ok. Tahoe is pretty, but this location is a bit far from either North or South shore.

ETA: Here is the one Darryl Lict mentioned.

Another vote for SLO. I went to college there, and would gladly go back and live there again if it was feasible. Wonderful town.