What did Jesus call himself?

It’s almost common knowledge that the name ‘Jesus’ is itself of Greek origin, and not how people at the time would have referred to Jesus of Nazareth. The Bible itself is not much use here, where references are of course to ‘Jesus’. So, how would Jesus have introduced himself? A Hebrew name? Aramaic? Professor Wikipedia postulates Jesus’ original name was Yeshua, but Dr. Google notes that ‘Eesa’, ‘Yahushua’, ‘Isa’ and ‘Jahshuwah’ are other possibilities (SDMB search pulls up 750 results, ‘name’ being too common a search term). What’s the straight dope?

The Master Speaks:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/33/what-was-jesus-real-name

:smack:

Should have searched for the Master’s opinion. So his real name was conclusively Joshua (or “Joshua bar-Joseph”/“Joshua, son of Joseph”)?

All those names in the OP are the same name. It’s pronounced something like “YEH-shoo-ah”. The variant spellings are just playing with how hard the Y is pronounced and how rounded the vowels are. It’s just accent, basically.

I’ve heard it suggested that his name would have been Yehoshua ben-Yosef, meaning Joshua, son of Joseph, and that such a name was often shortened in common speech to something like Yeshua, with the first ‘e’ pronounced like ‘neighbor’, and the ‘u’ pronounced almost like ‘uor’, so it would sound like ‘y-ay-shuohh-a’, for want of a simpler way of writing that pronunciation… :slight_smile:

But I can’t remember where I’ve heard this, it could well just have been from Prof. Wikipedia…

The name Yehoshua also apparently means ‘Yahweh is Salvation’, and refers to the prophet who led the Israelites into the promised land after Moses died:

Not to hijack, but why did he (appear to?) refer to himself as the “Son of Man”?

“Son of man” can be used in the bible just to refer to a man, but in the book of Daniel, there’s an apocalyptic verse referring to the messiah that the writers of the gospels are probably using as a messianic reference for Jesus. From the book of Daniel:

Yes, there are passages in the Bible where Jesus refers to himself as the Son of Man. Whether or not the historical Jesus actually spoke those words (and many others) is the topic of much debate and scholarship. Check out the Jesus Seminar.

Nothing to add, but I read the title as “Why did Jesus kill himself?” My first thought was, shouldn’t that be in GD?

Jesus’s homies called him J-Dog.

Or, more informally, Dude.

I thought the Son of Man guy was Ezekiel. Pretty much every second prophecy he has, God addresses him as “Son of Man”. I think some of the other prophets were called that, too, although not as often.

Or maybe (J)ese.

And I read your last question as “shouldn’t that be in G-D”? Not exactly sure what that’d mean, but likely opening up a whole other can of worms as well.

Me.

I asked this some time ago. here