Help me make a Beverly Hillbillies truck (well, improvise a seat in a van.)

I am driving my mom across country next year. She’s going to buy a new van (don’t know what kind yet) and I’m the driver, etc… So, there is a catch: It will be a three day drive, and she wants to have a chair installed in the vehicle. A real chair. LaZyBoy. Now, I, personally, have no pride when it comes to my mom’s comfort, and I will be happy to accomodate her anyway personally. But, how can I do it? Can I get seatbelt extensions and wrap it around her/the chair/both? I’d hate to hit the brakes and see her go sliding out the front window! How can one anchor a seat in a van? Can I do it legally? Can I get a store bought vehicle chair with leg extensions similar to a LaZyBoy? It sounds stupid, but this isn’t a joke. She can only sleep in the reclining chair position for health reasons, and I want her to be able to sleep on the drive, if she needs to.
Thanks,
hh

I would check out a custom van shop that specializes in RV van conversion and see if you can buy a certified seat that fully reclines. Something like this. It will be cheaper than trying to hobble something together. For traveling, you want a real chair because it’s designed for a vehicle. A Lazyboy is not going to be comfortable on the road.

If the head room is ok, I would just use some plumbers straps and anchor the chair base I would use several layers of strap for strength. Then snip some holes in the arm and fasten a seat belt to the deck. I think you could do it without a problem.
You may be able to anchor the restraints to the chair.

The restraints would have to be anchored to the floor in a similar manner as the factory mounts. Preferrably you would use the factory anchor bolts and mount. You can buy74" seat belts so that shouldn’t be a problem.

IIRC, seat belt effectiveness decreases when a seat is reclined, because of the danger that the person will slide right under it. Something to keep in mind.

A Lazyboy grafted to a van is going to be all kinds of trouble modification and safety wise. YOU would be far better off getting a reclining chair made for a vehicle like these

In thinking about it wouldn’t it make a lot more sense to arrange to rent an RV with recliners onboard just for this trip than jury rig a van?

I’m seconding this motion. I’d hate to see you compromise the structural integrity of your vehicle by drilling through the bottom to attach straps, chairs, etc. If renting the RV is not an option, by all means, get a professional customizer to add a vehicle-ready chair. It may not be as cozy as a LazyBoy, but it won’t damage the van to do that.

handsomeharry, the problems of a reclining passenger sliding under conventional seat belts is not tough to solve. Get a 5-point belt set from a racing equipment shop. There’s a between-the-legs belt, a pair at the waist, and a pair over the shoulders. One latch sets them all loose, quickly.

http://www.saferacer.com/harness/?tagarray=33&gclid=CNrm6pTk7psCFSEhDQod80z9-Q

Since you’re driving cross country, I suggest you do so in style. Why not purchase a Maybach 62, which features fully reclining rear seats. Of course, it costs $392,750. But it’s for your mother, and don’t you want the best for her? (Seriously, though, if the Maybach has it, other passenger cars may also have fully reclining rear seats, either as OEM equipment or aftermarket stuff.)

1. Why not just fly? The cost involved in modifying your van will be greater than simply buying two plane tickets

1a. Why not take a train? If mum can’t fly for whatever reason, Amtrak is pretty cozy, if slower.

1. Why is this LaZyBoy needed in the van at all? Why not skip the modifications and just take frequent rest stops and sleep in hotels at night?

2. Why not just rent an RV, that already has these kinds of luxuries instealled in them? (Like someone else said)

3. Welding a LaZyBoy into a van, Beverly Hillbillies style, is sure to break at least 16 manufacturing codes and the motor vehicle laws of probably every single state you will drive through. Not to mention the insurance liability mess that you will cause yourself and your dear mum if your dear mum is injured in the seat while you are operating the vehicle.

4. What will you do with the van afterwards? Surely making such gross modifications to the van will permanently impact the resale value of the van.

5. What happens when you get to your destination? How does mum get back home? Or is this a permanent move for her? If she is going back home after this trip is done, start at 1 and review my points again.