Ranking the US Presidents Week 1: George Washington

Inspired by this presidential rankings thread Rank and Rate the Presidents - In My Humble Opinion - Straight Dope Message Board

I thought it would be fun to be go more in depth with our armchair analysis of the 43 men who have occupied this endlessly fascinating office. We can do one a week in chronological order until we get to George W. Bush. We are looking to rank their performance as chief executive and to give our own take on each president.

We could use categories that look something like these, the most common areas ranked in historian polls.

Leadership Qualities
Accomplishments and Crisis Management
Political Skill
Character and Integrity
Foreign Policy
Domestic Policy

That’ll be my format, but feel free to do it however you chose. I’ll also being using a scale of ten, but feel free to avoid arbitrary numbers if you like.

George Washington

Leadership Qualities:
You really can’t find more of a natural leader than Washington in all of American history. He was the most trusted public man of his time. Even in his later years as PotUS when partisanship was running rampant with nastiness, few would criticize him even when they opposed his policies. He could have remained president as long as he chose to because most agreed that Washington was a unifying figure that the early republic desperately needed.
10/10

Accomplishments and Crisis Management:
Being the first chief executive of a government even the most optimistic feared could be just as fleeting and temporary as the system under the Articles of Confederation certainly qualifies as a crisis in my book. Washington had a very sensitive task in setting the standards and precedents for a job that people did not know what to expect from. Holding the fragile republic together with his trademark dignity is one of the greatest accomplishments in presidential history.
10/10

Political Skill:
Washington operated under a fledging political system where political factions, although alive and well, were mostly kept behind the scenes. He did remain well liked and his aims were given great weight. He also appointed arguably the best cabinet in US history. It’s possible that his position of political parties kept him somewhat naive of the backstage maneuvering and left he less equipped to keep some of his cabinet in line.
8/10

Character and Integrity:
This guy may be the picture of great character and integrity. It is often said that the political climate of the time would have allowed for Washington to have become a king if he wanted to, yet he played his role with utmost dignity and stepped down after two terms.

We can’t discuss his character though without hitting the nasty snag that is his ownership of slaves. In fact this will be an issue in rating the character of many of our early presidents. Some may be inclined to extract context and decry him as a terrible person, and on the other hand we have those who insist on applying the wishy washy “man of his times” standard that all but dismisses it. I say that slaveholders are morally accountable for that fact regardless of the time in which they lived, but we must consider the practicalities as well as whatever we can glean from what was in their heart. Washington sorta released his slaves in his will, and the bits and pieces that we have on his position suggest that he was morally opposed to slavery. So we was a hypocrite and a sinner probably by even his own standards. But…you know…“the times”.
7/10

Foreign Policy
A policy of neutrality was exactly what was necessary at that early point in US history. I feel like had any other of the bigwigs of the time had been president that line would have been a lot blurrier ( institutional preference toward England with federalists and toward France with Dem-Repubs). Europe was still at each other’s throats, we may have gotten into another war a lot sooner than 1812.
9/10

Domestic Policy:
He dealt with the Whiskey Rebellion very well, a strong federal force was necessary to demonstrate the nature of the new system. Hamilton’s economic policies were also very necessary.
9/10

Overall, we really couldn’t hope for a much better first president.I believe that we really have Washington to thank for just how much we respect the office. If I had any real criticism it is he naivety about the inevitability of factions in a government of this type. Then again, most of the founders were similarly naive. He is certainly one of our finest presidents.

Hope to see enough participants to make this a highlight of my week:)

This seems like a good idea. I’ll give it a try.
Leadership Qualities 10/10
He’s GW, nothing more needs to be said.

Accomplishments and Crisis Management 10/10

Political Skill 7/10
His refusal to dirty his hands with party politics causes problems in the succeeding years.

Character and Integrity 10/10
If he was any less than a 10, he would have been Emperor Washington and this thread would only last 1 week. Slavery was bad, but it was part of the times.

Foreign Policy 9/10
He kept us out of war.

Domestic Policy 8/10
Should have listened to Jefferson and maybe the feds today would be more restrained.

Leadership Qualities 10/10

Washington embodies the ideal of a great leader.

Accomplishments and Crisis Managements 10/10

See how he solved such crisis as the Whiskey Rebellion and the Continental Army mutinies.

Political Skill 8/10

Excellent and was non-partisan.

Character and Integrity 9/10

As others have said was honest and incorruptable without any lust for power.

Foreign Policy 9/10

Realized the wisdom of isolationism for such a weak and new country.

Domestic Policy 9/10

Managed very well and helped get the US running.

I’ll rate George 8 or 9 out of 10 in every category, by his own masterful and well deserved accord, rising to 9 or 10 out of 10, with the help of his most loyal comrade, Alexander Hamilton—wunderkind and genius par excellence. Together, they were sublime.

Agreed, after George Washington Alexander Hamilton was the greatest of our Founding Fathers.

So this first week is going to be quite the love-fest:p

George Washington is my favorite president, just edging out Lincoln. His service as CINC of the Continental Army, presiding officer of the Constitutional Convention and as the first President of the United States were of surpassing importance. He willingly gave up power, which made even King George III declare, when told of Washington’s intentions, “If he does that, he will be the greatest man in the world!” We would not have the country we have today had he not been where he was, when he was.

*Leadership Qualities *
Unquestionably one of the finest in U.S. history. Although he didn’t have the sheer brainpower of Jefferson or the political skills of Hamilton, both acknowledged him as the irreplaceable leader of the early republic.
10/10

He practically invented the Presidency, filled the Cabinet with very skillful men while keeping an eye on geographic diversity to help draw the nation together, and adroitly kept the U.S. out of war with either France or Britain.
9/10

Political Skill
He didn’t consider himself a politician, despite having served in the Virginia House of Burgesses and, briefly, in the Continental Congress, but he was deeply respected and trusted by his colleagues, and usually got his way. On the other hand, he was unable to keep Jefferson and Hamilton from sniping at each other, nor to prevent the (inevitable) rise of political parties here.
8/10

Character and Integrity
Washington had absolutely bedrock character and integrity. Yes, he owned slaves, but so did the other Southern plantation owners of the day. His sentiments against slavery grew with time, so that by the end of his life he refused to break up slave families, would not buy new slaves, punished his slaves only rarely, provided what amounted to pensions for elderly slaves who could not work anymore, and in his will freed all his slaves - something no other slaveholding President did.
9/10

Foreign Policy
Had some problems with Britain and the Jay Treaty, and paid off the Barbary Pirates due to the weakness of the U.S. Navy, but kept the peace and let the young country find its footing. Also began a naval buildup that included six excellent frigates, such as the USS Constitution.
9/10

Domestic Policy
Gave Hamilton authority to do what was necessary in settling Revolutionary War debts, setting the country on a firm financial footing. Approved the prohibition of slavery in the Northwest Territory. Tried to pursue an enlightened policy with regard to the Indians. Suppressed the Whiskey Rebellion very effectively, but then pardoned its leaders. Toured the country, despite the difficulties of travel at the time, to draw the disparate states together. Appointed the entire Federal judiciary.
10/10

For more on Washington, and his political graverobbing by the Confederacy, here’s an article I wrote a few years ago for American History magazine: George Washington: Hero of the Confederacy

I’m not sure I’d give Washington a perfect 10 in leadership. Maybe my standards are too critical, but I’d reserve a 10/10 for someone who pleased nearly “all the people all the time.” Washington did have several notable challenges to his generalship of the Continental Army. Namely, Horatio gates and someone else whose name escapes me. If he had not scraped out some of the victories he did, I think it possible that he would have been superseded by one of his challengers.
Still, I give him a 9 for leadership.

This is true. If we want to see a flawed Washington we needn’t look further than his military career.

For leadership qualities though I’m only considering their leadership in the political context as president. By that standard I think he’s probably the closest to perfect of all the presidents just by the force of his gravitas alone. I seriously doubt it will ever be possible for a president to maintain something that close to universal popularity for so long. I guess you could argue Monroe during the so called ‘era of good feelings’, but those were very different circumstances. Thus the 10.

But hey, when we’re differing between a 9 or a 10 we kinda see eye to eye. Glowing reviews all around for George!

To contradict this lovefest a bit:

On the Character and Integrity issue: He was the richest man in the country at this time. Frankly, almost all of the really rich people I have heard of don’t rank too high on the Character/Integrity scale. Of course, George Washington came by much of his money legitimately – he married a rich woman much older than himself – you could say he worked for that. The money he earned himself mostly came from real estate speculation. As a surveyor, he had a lot of opportunity to buy up land that would become valuable in the future.

There was also an incident where he declined a salary from Congress for running the Army – just asked that they cover his expenses. But when that bill was turned in, it was several times larger than the salary they were going to offer him. Probably legitimate – those were likely real expenses – but certainly a better deal than most of the men in his Army got. Sharp bargaining there.

But I’d still rank him far, far above most Presidents. Compared to the last one, he’s just incredible.

Fashion sense: 0/10. Powdered wigs so gauche.

Leadership Qualities
The fact that the founding fathers – several of whom were pretty good leaders themselves – chose him to be the first president (and he was elected unanimously) says it all. 10/10

Setting up the government and many of the presidential traditions was a major accomplishment. The Whiskey Rebellion showed how he could be decisive in a crisis (if it was already obvious during the Revolution). 10/10

Political Skill
Was able to stay above politics and keep factions under control. 9/10

Character and Integrity
No one higher. Left the room when they started talking about naming a president so they could talk about him without him there. Created the long-lost (and missed) ideal that the office must seek the man. 10/10

Foreign Policy
Good job keeping the young republic afloat, but this was not a major role. 8/10

Domestic Policy
8/10

I’m not positive, but I do not believe it is true that he was the richest man in America. I know this appeared in Howard Zinn’s book, but there is plenty of debate as to its accuracy.

Of course, even if he were, there’s nothing really wrong with that. As you point out, some rich people do not come by their money entirely honestly (while many others do), but there is no indication that is the case with Washington.
For my rankings for Washington:
Leadership Qualities: 10/10. There’s no question in my mind that his ability to create and lead the Continental Army (yes, I know he wasn’t President at this time), serve as the nation’s first president while keeping our fragile union together, and stepping down at the end was superior to almost all subsequent presidents.

Accomplishments and Crisis Management: 10/10. We face crises today, but I shudder to think of having the responsibility to deal with the crises of a new nation. He laid the foundation and set the tone of the presidency which allowed his followers to be (mostly) successful.

Political Skill: 8/10. He was perhaps a bit naive or idealistic in his dismissal of parties, but it’s also hard to judge from our times what it must have been like.

Character and Integrity: 10/10. He worked through the most trying times of any president, with the possible exception of Lincoln, and kept the highest honor and respect for the office he held and the people he served. As RealityChuck said, no one better.

Foreign Policy: 9/10. There wasn’t much to be done here except maintain peace just long enough to get the country going.

Domestic Policy: 10/10. His handling of the Whiskey Rebellion was just what was needed at the time, and he relied on his extremely competent advisors and cabinet to get the ball rolling. Not much more he could have done.
Overall, I agree with CyclopticXander’s assessment. Washington was certainly the right man to take on the job of being the first president. He handled it superbly and is, in my mind, our greatest president (although let’s see how I feel when we get to Lincoln… ;))

Nice thread. I’ve nothing to add, other than I found it interesting that Washington may have been bulletproof. Supposedly, there’s multiple accounts of him surviving being sniped numerous times and later finding bullet holes in his coat. Might be up there with wooden teeth and the cherry tree, though…

Since you bring up the mythic qualities of Washington, I simply must supply this somewhat immature video thats probably NSFW. Only God knows why I find this so amusing.

Alright sorry. My hand was forced, we may return to substance.

Washington is unique among presidents in the degree to which it’s impossible to separate his earlier career from an evaluation of his presidency. He presided over the constitutional convention, after all, at which the presidency was created. His availability to serve as the first president was an important consideration in allowing the convention to make the office as powerful as it was.

The surest endorsement of Washington’s integrity in making the transition from commander-in-chief to president is the behavior of other similary situated military leaders: Cromwell, Bolivar, Bonaparte. None were content to serve as elected civilian leaders with limited power. Even the Princes of Orange, who led the Dutch rebellion against Spain, sought to aggrandize their mostly hereditary “stadtholdership” at the expense of the Dutch States-General, which caused no end of grief for the Dutch Republic.

Against this background, it seems almost nitpicky to evaluate Washington’s policies. His first term was dominated by the controversy over funding the national debt and the national bank. Hamilton’s policies with respect to funding (including assumption of state debts) were surely praiseworthy, and Washington exhibited the necessary steel in suppressing the Whiskey Rebellion to ensure that the taxes which funded the debt would be collected.

The Bank of the United States was more dubious; it was a private corporation, managed for profit, but granted monoppoly power not unlike that held by the Federal Reserve today. It would have been better to charter competing national banks, as we did after the Civil War.

Washington’s second term was dominated by foreign policy, as Britain and France went to war (1793) and sought our aid. Washington sided with Britain and negotiated the Jay Treaty (1795), which antagonized France and led to the Quasi-War during the Adams administation. This was surely the right call, as France was a more tractable opponent and Britain a more valuable ally. However, the Jay Treaty failed to address the issue of impressment, which led to problems 15 years later.

The Jay Treaty and the suppression of the Whiskey Rebellion were hugely controversial. If there were public opinion polling in the 1790’s, Washington’s rating would have dropped precipitously during his second term. History has mostly (not completely) vindicated his choices.

Despite these nitpicks, Washington must be rated 10 out of 10 in evaluating his presidency as a whole. His stature and integrity allowed the office to be created in its present form. He was the model whom others sought to emulate.

Actually, that was when John Adams nominated him to serve as commander-in-chief of the Continental Army in 1775.

As to his fortune… yes, he married Martha, a wealthy widow, but it was by all accounts a very close and loving relationship. He also worked very hard to make money at Mount Vernon, devising a smart method of crop rotation, carefully supervising the work of the field hands, diversifying into whiskey distilling and fishing, etc.

As to his bulletproof status… there are plenty of documented accounts of his amazing luck in battles. My favorite is from the Battle of Princeton, when he rode between the British and Continental lines, encouraging his troops. One of his aides actually covered his face with his hat, sure that he was about to see Washington shot from the saddle. Both lines of troops fired at each other, and as the gunsmoke cleared the aide dropped his hat to see Washington miraculously untouched, waving his sword and leading the charge.

Quite a guy.