Old 10-13-2017, 08:20 AM

Great things to watch with a DVR

My current favorite DVR-friendly show is BattleBots - it's an hour long, and the meat of the show is 4 at most 3-minute showdowns between killer robots. So instead of spending an hour watching it live, I can spend less than 20 minutes watching it with the fast forward button.

I would imagine recording a football game and speeding through it might yield a similar payoff.

I guess only sporting events would lend themselves to this - although Big Bang Theory comes pretty close even if you just speed past the commercial breaks.
Advertisements  
Old 10-13-2017, 08:29 AM

An episode of Mythbusters is much better. No, wait. Oh, so muuucchh better, when you use the DVR to watch the Jamie/Adam task, fast-forwarding the Build Team, then re-watching the Tori/Grant/Kari experiment, and skip the Founders.

Maybe people sometimes prefer one group over the other, and want to say, "Oh, I just FF past those people and then leave it." And that's fine. But if you don't dislike one or another, its astounding how much better it is to just watch the story-lines not split up like that. Its so obvious to me, that I don't get why the producers never noticed.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

I watch just about everything from the DVR but Saturday Night Live is especially good to watch that way. Obviously, I fast forward through the commercials (although sometimes I accidentally skip through the parody commercials) but I usually fast forward through the musical guest.

And I can watch an episode of Jeopardy! in about 20-22 minutes, if I skip the commercials and even less if I skip the interview segment.

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 10-13-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:10 AM

Jeopardy is a good one. We never watch it live, as it appears there are about 5 minutes of commercials before the final question.

Also, as indicated above, football. Baseball too.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I watch just about everything from the DVR but Saturday Night Live is especially good to watch that way. Obviously, I fast forward through the commercials (although sometimes I accidentally skip through the parody commercials) but I usually fast forward through the musical guest.

And I can watch an episode of Jeopardy! in about 20-22 minutes, if I skip the commercials and even less if I skip the interview segment.
Wow, that's exactly what I was going to post. SNL can be really good, or really bad, but either way I can usually watch the whole thing in much less than an hour. The music is usually of such poor quality that I rarely even bother to sample it. Jeopardy is 20 minutes, max, and I do skip the interviews.

Another I would add is the Sunday AM talk shows, like Meet the Press. I like to watch a few, but I can't think of any time I actually watched the whole thing. Actually, I'll say the same thing about the evening news. I tape the local news, but often only watch the Weather. And I record PBS's New Hour, but sometimes a given segment (usually 10 - 15 minutes) generates no interest from me.

Last edited by John Mace; 10-13-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:41 PM

MTV Classic shows its version of 120 Minutes for 2 hours early Monday morning (when it was VH1 Classic, they'd do this four times a week). So, 1980s and 1990s alternative music videos. With the DVR it's refreshing to skip past the bands I didn't like, and it takes well under an hour to watch what I want from the whole programming block.

Also, I'm not getting up at 4am to watch music videos. Any more.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkcon View Post
An episode of Mythbusters is much better. No, wait. Oh, so muuucchh better, when you use the DVR to watch the Jamie/Adam task, fast-forwarding the Build Team, then re-watching the Tori/Grant/Kari experiment, and skip the Founders.

Maybe people sometimes prefer one group over the other, and want to say, "Oh, I just FF past those people and then leave it." And that's fine. But if you don't dislike one or another, its astounding how much better it is to just watch the story-lines not split up like that. Its so obvious to me, that I don't get why the producers never noticed.
Not to mention you can avoid the patented Mythbusters "OK, we're back from commercials. Let's recap for five minutes. Now five minutes of new stuff and whoops it's time for commercials again." I mean, great show, but more filler than a 25 cent hot dog...
Old 10-13-2017, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Like the OP and BattleBots, I can get through two hours of American Ninja Warrior in about a half hour. Just watch the runs and skip all the ads and human interest stories and interviews.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:33 PM

Anything not on PBS. I seriously couldn't sit through BattleBots without DVR. That looks like the most tedious program ever!

And yeah, it takes a whopping 15 minutes to get the whole hour behind me.

Also, movies on Sundance, IFC or TBS. Homes of the "9 minute commercial breaks".
Old 10-15-2017, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Turner Classic Movies. Sure, they might show an epic at 3 am in July. But, with the TiVO, I can watch it in the middle of winter when I've got plenty of time for long movies. Right around Christmas this is perfect when you just can't deal with another Christmas movie.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

That's a good one. I used to have TCM before I changed the cable subscription and I'd go through their schedule as far ahead as the program guide would go to mark interesting movies to record. Because TCM, unlike many other networks, doesn't repeat something later nor is anything available On Demand. And occasionally, they broadcast something really rare.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Turner Classic Movies.

Yeah. I've got the Allistar Sim version of "Scrooge" on the DVR, never to be deleted. I'll watch it two or three times a year. Keeps me sane (insane).

Who said that?
Old 10-16-2017, 09:52 AM

EVERYTHING is better when watched with a DVR! I have a hard time watching anything live anymore.

Survivor is a good example. FF through all of the mundane talking.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:56 AM

American Ninja Warrior is the poster child for why DVR is necessary. Fast forward through most of the dumb backstories and in fact you can probably watch the first 30 minutes at 2x since you know all of those contestants are going to fail.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:34 AM

I'll third American Ninja Warrior. Skip past all the "human interest stories" and get straight to the wipeouts.

I also usually watch Formula 1 races on the DVR. Of course most of them happen too early in the morning for me to watch live. I can skip past the follow the leader racing and stop when something interesting happens. Which in some races doesn't happen.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaguri View Post
American Ninja Warrior is the poster child for why DVR is necessary. Fast forward through most of the dumb backstories and in fact you can probably watch the first 30 minutes at 2x since you know all of those contestants are going to fail.
Great choice. It's actually a good show, but my god they have a lot of drivel, too. I just want to see the action!

How about The Olympics? Talk about a low signal to noise ratio.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Dancing With The Stars is a lot like American Ninja Warrior in that respect. Skip all the dull talky bits and the contestants you don't care about, and go right to the stuff you want to watch. A two-hour episode takes 30 minutes or less.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:29 PM

Funny, Max Torque, because as I was reading this thread I was thinking about So You Think You Can Dance. I love that show, but I rarely care about the pre-taped "getting to know the dancers" or "let's see some of the rehearsal" stuff. For that matter, I usually don't care about the judges' comments, either. I like being able to skip all of that and just watch the performances (and see who goes home at the end); it's worth possible internet spoilers to watch it a day late.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Kudos for mentioning TCM. I liked it last year when they were running Oscar-favorites in order from A to Z; they had their listing online so you can anticipate what was coming.

And I agree with TBS: once in a hotel I started watching a movie on TBS (ET) and eight minutes in, they cut away mid-sentence to a commercial that lasted over six minutes. I said "Nope!" and I switched to something else. Who watches that?

Anything with David Tennant is better with a DVR (like Broadchurch), so you can skip back seven seconds to try to figure out what he just said in his thick Scottish brogue.

Some commercials deserved to be watched and replayed. I like the Subaru's commercials: Oh You Brought Butch and You're Not Taking Those (when the girl with the clippers is stopped by the father before she approaches her sister). The expressions are worth hitting the pause button.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:15 AM

Food/Restaurant review shows such as Man Versus Food or Diners Driveins and Dives are extra special to watch on DRD, because then you can skip all the recaps and summaries at each break.

Mitchell and Web: The gift shop sketch
Old 10-17-2017, 08:19 AM

Recent Tivos have two features which make speed viewing a breeze - SkipMode and QuickMode. SkipMode skips past an entire block of commercials with a button press. QuickMode plays a show 30% faster than normal with pitch adjustment so that the sound is normal instead of sounding like Alvin and the Chipmunks. There's also a button to skip ahead 30 seconds. Jeopardy has about 14 minutes of actual game content. I can watch it in 10 minutes.

Tivo is also good for watching football. The 30-second skip exactly matches the amount of time between plays in most cases. I can watch games in about 30 minutes. It could be shorter but sometimes I listen to the commentary between plays if something interesting happened.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
I love that show, but I rarely care about the pre-taped "getting to know the dancers" or "let's see some of the rehearsal" stuff. For that matter, I usually don't care about the judges' comments, either. I like being able to skip all of that and just watch the performances...
I came here to say exactly the same thing about The Voice. The judges are the worst.

John Stossel is a fuckwaffle
Old 10-17-2017, 10:48 AM

I did a survey recently about a talent show. They really, really wanted to know a bunch of things about current and potential judges.

Judges? Doesn't everybody just skip over that stuff?
Old 10-17-2017, 11:32 AM

When my wife watched Glee she skipped the songs. I thought that the songs were the whole point of the thing, but less time watching that crap the better so I was happy that she was skipping something.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:23 PM

I like to DVR The Simpsons and other animated shows because they often have background jokes that flash by quickly.

My Name is Earl was a live action show that did that as well.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:01 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Anything that feels the need to recap what happened just before the commercial break. Lookin' at you, "Face Off".
Old 10-17-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
EVERYTHING is better when watched with a DVR! I have a hard time watching anything live anymore.

This, simply because I never want to see another ad ever again.* There are especially long ad breaks on Sportsnet shows like Tim and Sid and Prime Time with Bob McCown.

I watch a lot of footy and hockey, so it's nice to have to the option if I feel like skipping pre-game shit, along with intermissions and half-time.

Like someone mentioned there's some PBS Newshour segments I'll skip, like the "Brief But Spectacular" bio segment at the end of most newshours, or I'll hit the 30-second-skip button over the stock market readings.

Not much of a DVR "library": (heh - new thread topic?) a couple key John Oliver epi's, three presidential debates, a couple Kroll Shows, a Machu Piccu Decoded doc, and the Jay and Dan re-launch show from two months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Gusterson View Post
Recent Tivos have two features which make speed viewing a breeze - SkipMode and QuickMode. SkipMode skips past an entire block of commercials with a button press. QuickMode plays a show 30% faster than normal with pitch adjustment so that the sound is normal instead of sounding like Alvin and the Chipmunks.

huh.
cool.

*ok maybe if I spot what looks like a new Old Spice ad as I'm fast-forwarding.

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 10-17-2017 at 05:47 PM.