Old 05-30-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
Ah, that moment when fond childhood memories are .... *sullied*
I remember watching Gunsmoke with my dad when I was around four years old. Even then I had a "thing" for Miss Kitty in her high heels. Mmmmmmmmmm...!

Last edited by terentii; 05-30-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
One more:

I'm editing an article on carbon nanotubes. Apparently, the favored abbreviation is CNTs.
Shakepeare's reference in Twelfth Night to "Her Cs, her Us, and her Ts, where she makes her great Ps" managed to escape my sister; I had the joy of explaining it to her.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I was born in 1955, but it wasn't until I was in, oh, maybe my late 30s when it finally dawned on me why Paladin had that chess piece (a freakin' KNIGHT) on his holster! DUH!
I always thought Paladin's first name was Wire.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinopus View Post
Shakepeare's reference in Twelfth Night to "Her Cs, her Us, and her Ts, where she makes her great Ps" managed to escape my sister; I had the joy of explaining it to her.
Catherine of Valois's French passage in "Henry V" in which she complains about how dirty the English language is ... "foot and gown", she pronounces like "foutre" (fuck) and "Coun" (cunt)
Old 05-30-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Catherine of Valois's French passage in "Henry V" in which she complains about how dirty the English language is ... "foot and gown", she pronounces like "foutre" (fuck) and "Coun" (cunt)
Keen! That one, I'd never heard of! I've seen the scene, but nobody explained the joke.

Jakesbeer was a dirty old man!
Old 05-31-2016, 12:38 AM

On YouTube, there's a WoF clip (I don't have time to look for it now) where the phrase was

C _ U N T _ _ M U S I C.

If Pat and Vanna noticed it, they didn't say anything, but I believe there was an, uhm, "titter" from the audience.

(I'm reminded of the joke in which "a nervous titter ran through the courtroom...." )
Old 06-01-2016, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Keen! That one, I'd never heard of! I've seen the scene, but nobody explained the joke.

Jakesbeer was a dirty old man!
There was also a line about standing under and understanding. Our high school English teacher was normally into Chaucer but thoroughly enjoyed Shakespeare also. Though he did let us read the unexpurgated version of Chaucer. We all loved the one about the monks dividing a fart equally =) Ah, highschool....
Old 06-04-2016, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Another "American Pie" one: Eight miles high and falling fast/It landed foul on the grass" followed by "The halftime air was sweet perfume"

I don't think McLean was referring to Channel No. 5.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Another "American Pie" one: Eight miles high and falling fast/It landed foul on the grass" followed by "The halftime air was sweet perfume"

I don't think McLean was referring to Channel No. 5.
Well, mebbe, but most folks I think see "Eight miles high and falling fast" as a reference to the Byrds' "Eight Miles High".
Old 06-05-2016, 10:51 PM

In the recent Geico ad with the check-dodging alligator, I missed the opening seconds where it establishes he's in a Chinese restaurant. Also, the fact he chows down on an entire duck at the end seems to be a shot at the spokesbird for Geico's competitor, AFLAC.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 06-06-2016, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
Well, mebbe, but most folks I think see "Eight miles high and falling fast" as a reference to the Byrds' "Eight Miles High".
"Eight Miles High" was banned by some radio stations for being about "drug use." The "sweet perfume" is obviously marijuana's distinctive odor.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
I thought it was a reference to Eminem.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
"Eight Miles High" was banned by some radio stations for being about "drug use." The "sweet perfume" is obviously marijuana's distinctive odor.
There are only a few thing in American Pie which are actually confirmed: Buddy Holly, Elvis, Dylan (The jester). The rest is just supposition and not obvious.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...-pie-all-about
Old 06-07-2016, 08:55 AM

In Brazil, Ian Holmes character injured his hand and had to get his underling to sign an authorization for him. I totally missed that he was faking the injury so that he could claim that Jonathan Pryce forged the authorization if necessary. I didn't spot this until one time I watched it and during Pryces arrest one of the charges recited against him was forging a supervisors signature.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

I'll add two from one of my favorite movies, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

I've seen it more than almost any movie. I've watched it in HD only 2-3 times, though. HD and a large television helped me notice:

1. When Indy's Dad reads the newspaper(and hides behind it) on the blimp, he is holding it upside down. It isn't as obvious as you might think, but the HD copy I watched is clear enough to notice.

2. My wife pointed this out to me, though I missed it. Elsa intentionally sends Donovan to the wrong grail. As a kid and most of my adult life, I didn't realize that she intentionally picked a gold one because she knew it was wrong. You can see her nod "no" to Indy. This was likely cut off on all VHS pan-and-scan copies.

Yep, two things it took me forever to notice.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
2. My wife pointed this out to me, though I missed it. Elsa intentionally sends Donovan to the wrong grail. As a kid and most of my adult life, I didn't realize that she intentionally picked a gold one because she knew it was wrong. You can see her nod "no" to Indy. This was likely cut off on all VHS pan-and-scan copies.
Hm. I can't decide if I agree with this. Video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA7J0KkanzM starting at about :30 in. She definitely moves her head back and forth a little bit. It's also a bit of a continuity error, as after the cut to just her, she turns her head to look at Indy, again. I'm not sure if that was intended as a "no" or not. You'd think that if it was, we'd see something like that in her expression when she's the focal part of the shot, not just in the previous shot where she's barely seen at all.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
1. When Indy's Dad reads the newspaper(and hides behind it) on the blimp, he is holding it upside down.
[VOICE OF GRAHAM CHAPMAN (GERMAN ACCENT)]: A Zeppelin iss not a blimp!
Old 07-09-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSexton View Post
Hm. I can't decide if I agree with this. Video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA7J0KkanzM starting at about :30 in. She definitely moves her head back and forth a little bit. It's also a bit of a continuity error, as after the cut to just her, she turns her head to look at Indy, again. I'm not sure if that was intended as a "no" or not. You'd think that if it was, we'd see something like that in her expression when she's the focal part of the shot, not just in the previous shot where she's barely seen at all.
I never noticed the "no" head shake before either, but it certainly is consistent with her mannerisms and reactions in the rest of the scene. My guess would be that they wanted the following scene of Donovan drinking from the grail to be a surprise, and focusing on her head shaking would have been too much of a tip-off.

Last edited by JKilez; 07-09-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:49 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKilez View Post
I never noticed the "no" head shake before either, but it certainly is consistent with her mannerisms and reactions in the rest of the scene. My guess would be that they wanted the following scene of Donovan drinking from the grail to be a surprise, and focusing on her head shaking would have been too much of a tip-off.
Storywise, Elsa had to know that was the wrong chalice. She's a historian or archaeologist, and the Reich's leading authority on the grail, but anyone with just a passing familiarity with the story of Jesus and the Last Supper would realize that Jesus did not have tons and tons of gold just lying around when he was alive. Given her background, Ilsa picking that chalice had to be a set up for Donovan.

As filmed, I'd say that shot where Ilsa turns and looks at Indy, right after the "head shake," is meant to be significant. I think that's Ilsa letting Indy know that she's just doublecrossed Donovan. I wonder if, when they shot Donovan taking the cup, the idea had been for Ilsa to turn and shake her head at Indy, and that take made it to the final print, but when they did the medium shot of her, they decided it didn't look right, like maybe it read as her rejecting Indy, so they changed it to just a knowing glance.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

It looks to me like the exact same take of her turning her head towards Indy, from a different camera, when they go to the closeup of her. They just cut to Indy before the head shaking.

Personally, I never thought that look was anything other than her not giving Donovan the correct cup, looking at Indy, and Indy acknowledging that she didn't.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddypants View Post
Not something creative but... I have a habit of trying to figure out what the different letters on the back of cars mean. Only recently did I realize what the A in Audi A4, A6, and A8 stands for. Duh!

Uh, it doesn't stand for anything, it just a series designation. A, S, RS, and R series. Although people know it roughly means average, sporty, real sporty and race. Germans don't screw around with car names.

Just like BMW. 3, 5 and 7 are sedans, each larger. Even numbers are coupes, 4, 6, 8.

And the next numbers did indicate engine size, now some of them mean "equivalent" engine size.

My 535i was a medium sized sedan, 3.5 liter engine, injected.

Dennis
Old 07-10-2016, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixdenny View Post
Just like BMW. 3, 5 and 7 are sedans, each larger. Even numbers are coupes, 4, 6, 8.

And the next numbers did indicate engine size, now some of them mean "equivalent" engine size.
That may be their current lineup, but it's a recent development. There used to be coupe and sedan in the 3-series. My 323is is a coupe with a 2.5 liter engine. And the current 3-series lineup includes a sport wagon.

A few car companies have gone for technical naming schemes like that, but there usually seem to plenty of exceptions.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:18 AM

Much earlier in this thread, I mentioned These Happy Golden Years from the Little House series and Laura's troubles with the Brewster (Bouchie IRL) family. The wife was resentful of Laura's presence and depressed from her isolation on the prairie, and threatened suicide if her husband didn't take her back East.

Well, there was one wrinkle to the whole business that I hadn't considered until someone brought it up on a message board--one of the reasons that Mrs. Brewster/Bouchie resented having Laura around.

The couple was in their twenties IRL, and Mrs. Bouchie had just had a baby that wasn't mentioned in the story (only the toddler son--actually from Olive Bouchie's previous marriage, she was widowed and remarried in a short time). So here's the wife, straggly, depressed (possibly from PPD as well as isolation), and recovering from a birth. And into this house with her young husband comes a fresh-faced teenage girl, pretty and stylish. So is it so far-fetched to think that Mrs. B might have feared she'd take his eye? (Nothing like that happened, of course, but it might have been at the back of Mrs. B's mind.)

Last edited by Hermione; 07-10-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSexton View Post
The fade in her smile once Donovan isn't looking at her tells the story. Plus, look at her face as soon as he drinks and flinches from the ill effects of the wrong grail.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:38 PM

In Weird Science, it was really inappropriate for Wyatt and Gary to tell the head biker to take his "faggoty friends and get the hell out". It's pretty clear that the head biker is "Wez" from Mad Max 2 (same actor, same Mohawk, same goatee). And it was strongly implied that Wez was a homosexual. So Gary's comment was a bit inappropriate.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:45 AM
Charter Member

I don't blame myself for not noticing this one because it was foreshadowing of a future movie.

But when Agent Sitwell was first introduced in Thor, this shot appeared to be nothing other than an interesting camera angle. It would be three years and five movies later before the implication of Sitwell having two faces would be revealed.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:27 AM

Watching Star Wars as a kid, and repeatedly through my life, I never gave much thought to the extra shoulder armor on the stormtroopers on Tatooine in the "Look Sir! Droids" and "These aren't the droids you're looking for scenes"

It wasn't til The Force Awakens came out with troopers wearing different colored shoulder armor in the opening scene, and the trooper giving an order did I realize that those indicated a Trooper's rank.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:22 PM

Watching the remastered "Doomsday Machine" episode of Star Trek, I just realized how much the shark music in Jaws sounds like the theme for the Planet Killer!
Old 07-12-2016, 01:29 PM

Just rewatched The Sting.

I realized that plot would never have worked. Lonnegan would end up having them all killed.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Watching the remastered "Doomsday Machine" episode of Star Trek, I just realized how much the shark music in Jaws sounds like the theme for the Planet Killer!
Listen to Stravinsky's Rite of Spring sometime.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:16 PM

I never really gave it much thought until recently, but I realized that the Grissom in Star Trek III must have been named after Gus Grissom from Apollo I and I thought that was a nice touch. And at the time of the movie's making, he would have been the most famous fatality from the US space program.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Or the New World Symphony
Old 07-12-2016, 03:33 PM

Come to think of it, the Planet Killer itself bears a more than passing resemblance to a big ugly shark, though the episode was actually their version of the Ahab-vs-Whale story in Moby Dick.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post

I realized that plot would never have worked. Lonnegan would end up having them all killed.
Since spoilers are inevitable in this thread: don't they know that? Isn't that why they build the con around Robert Redford and Paul Newman getting gunned down with blood everywhere in a room full of cops, so that Lonnegan will let himself get hustled out of there instead of standing around the scene of a double homicide?
Old 07-12-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
Since spoilers are inevitable in this thread: don't they know that? Isn't that why they build the con around Robert Redford and Paul Newman getting gunned down with blood everywhere in a room full of cops, so that Lonnegan will let himself get hustled out of there instead of standing around the scene of a double homicide?
Yes, but it's also likely that Lonnegan will figure out he was conned. Maybe when he doesn't see anything about the homicides in the paper, or when Snyder (the cop who hustled him out) finds out that he's been conned, too. Newman even says that they have to break the place down and get out quickly, and that the heat is gonna be on him again.

Still, it's a fantastic movie.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Been watching a lot of Friends lately and just noticed this one (or maybe I saw it before, but really took notice of it this time). It was in the episode The One Without The Ski Trip. Ross shows up at Carol's house. She mentions that it's late and he asks if he woke her, as she says no, she has a bit of a smirk on her face and she's got some pretty obvious 'sex hair' going on. They've made mention to sex hair on the show in other episodes (and even commented on it further), but that's the only time you've seen it that I can think of. But what not only caught me off guard but also seemed really over the top for this show as that she then also picked a (implied) pubic hair off her tongue.

Can't find it on youtube, but I found it at the 22 minute mark here.

Coupla thinks of note:
1)It's in the outro if you're trying to find it quickly.
2)The 'audience' noticed since they 'laughed' at it.
3)There's a variation of the clip on youtube that didn't contain those jokes, so there must be multiple endings. Don't know why, don't know if they both aired or if one is in the box set. Either way that fullepisodes . biz was the only one I could find, as it aired, within the past few days.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:22 PM

I love the movie Who Framed Roger Rabbit. But it recently occurred to me that the ending doesn't really work, because it violates its own one basic rule.

There is only one way to kill a toon, and that's "Dip." But the ending is entirely contingent upon Eddie Valiant figuring out that you can kill the weasels by making them laugh themselves to death. When there are other toons that do nothing but laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspartan View Post
I love the movie Who Framed Roger Rabbit. But it recently occurred to me that the ending doesn't really work, because it violates its own one basic rule.
The book Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine has a similar problem. The whole point of the book is that Ella is cursed to be obedient; she must do whatever someone tells her, no matter how much she hates it. How does it end?

SPOILER:
She grits her teeth, tries really hard, and is able to disobey someone.

The movie might have a different ending, but I haven't seen it.

Last edited by Dendarii Dame; 08-17-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspartan View Post

There is only one way to kill a toon, and that's "Dip." But the ending is entirely contingent upon Eddie Valiant figuring out that you can kill the weasels by making them laugh themselves to death. When there are other toons that do nothing but laugh. . . .
Well, not exactly a contradiction, but a discovery. It isn't an unreliable-narrator problem, because the people telling you the rule, didn't actually know there was another answer.

Also, it's properly presaged, when the Sergeant tells his guys, "One of these days, you're gonna laugh yourselves to death." That gives the audience fair warning that, yes, there's another way to kill a Toon.

Lots of movies have twist endings where the hero figures out a new and unexpected answer to a problem. I'm thinking of 2001: A Space Odyssey, where Dave figures out how to get from the Pod to the Discovery. Does this "contradict the rules?" Or is it a clever example of thinking outside the [strikeout]Pod[/strikeout] box?

ETA: phoomph, I thought strikeout was the code

Last edited by Trinopus; 08-17-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Well, not exactly a contradiction, but a discovery. It isn't an unreliable-narrator problem, because the people telling you the rule, didn't actually know there was another answer.

Also, it's properly presaged, when the Sergeant tells his guys, "One of these days, you're gonna laugh yourselves to death." That gives the audience fair warning that, yes, there's another way to kill a Toon.
I never really noticed the contradiction, but I suppose I would chalk it up to the rules of being a Toon. You can walk off a cliff and not fall as long as you haven't noticed. Roger can take his hand out of the handcuffs only when it's funny to do so. When a weasel laughs too much it turns into a spectral form of itself holding a lily and floats up through the ceiling. They're not really and truly dead, they're just doing what Toon weasels do, and it was brilliant of Eddie to use their own logic against them.

Dip is different; that shit ain't no joke, take a bath in that and you're gone.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post

Maybe, or maybe not.
Lonnegan was a huge crime pin, and one thing that keeps men like them on top, that keeps his underlings in line is the belief that he's infallible. That combination of fear and belief that he can't be taken or beat (even if he has to cheat to prove that fact). There's even a line in the film where Lonnegan warns one of his men not to get the idea to even think about turning against him, like he thinks Hooker's doing to Gondorff.

The LAST think Lonnegan would want to get out, is the fact he was taken down in a con. Over the years he might still eventually go after people he thinks were involved, but he'd never make a big deal out of it.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard John Marcej View Post
Maybe, or maybe not.

Lonnegan was a huge crime pin, and one thing that keeps men like them on top, that keeps his underlings in line is the belief that he's infallible. That combination of fear and belief that he can't be taken or beat (even if he has to cheat to prove that fact). There's even a line in the film where Lonnegan warns one of his men not to get the idea to even think about turning against him, like he thinks Hooker's doing to Gondorff.

The LAST think Lonnegan would want to get out, is the fact he was taken down in a con. Over the years he might still eventually go after people he thinks were involved, but he'd never make a big deal out of it.

Theres also a general sense, at least in those sorts of films, that there's bootlegger kinda gangsters who are a "menace to society" and then there's mass-murdering gotta be stop evildoers... Wiping out everyone and their brother wouldn't have the same impunity as occasionally gambling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2016, 02:24 PM

Watched Star Trek: Search For Spock dozens of times, but recently noticed something. Why did Kirk want to go back to Genesis? He did not know until he got there that Spocks body was alive again. He just should have taken McCoy straight to Vulcan to have Spocks Katra or whatever removed from him. They never should have broken Starfleet laws and stole the Enterprise.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicsage View Post
Watched Star Trek: Search For Spock dozens of times, but recently noticed something. Why did Kirk want to go back to Genesis? He did not know until he got there that Spocks body was alive again. He just should have taken McCoy straight to Vulcan to have Spocks Katra or whatever removed from him. They never should have broken Starfleet laws and stole the Enterprise.
He needed to take both Spock's body and Katra to Vulcan:
Quote:
SAREK: One alive, one not. Yet both in pain.
KIRK: What must I do?
SAREK: You must bring them to Mount Seleya, ...on Vulcan. Only there can both find peace.
KIRK: What you ask ...is difficult.
SAREK: You will find a way, Kirk. ...If you honour them both, you must.
KIRK: I will. I swear.
He wasn't expecting Spock to be alive, but he knew he needed the body.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:59 PM

When Sarek said one alive, I take it he meant McCoy. The one dead, I took to mean Spock's Katra. Both the Katra and McCoy were in pain. Dead body couldn't be in pain. Plus Sarek seemed concerned about losing the Katra when he mind-melded with Kirk and didn't mention the body. My impression is that it was the Katra that was important.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicsage View Post
When Sarek said one alive, I take it he meant McCoy. The one dead, I took to mean Spock's Katra. Both the Katra and McCoy were in pain. Dead body couldn't be in pain. Plus Sarek seemed concerned about losing the Katra when he mind-melded with Kirk and didn't mention the body. My impression is that it was the Katra that was important.
You can take it that way, I suppose, but Kirk certainly seems to be under the impression that Sarek wants Spock's body, and I must say, that's the way I understood it too.
When Sarek first meets Kirk, under the impression that Kirk has Spock's Katra, he says:
Quote:
SAREK: Why did you leave him on Genesis! Spock trusted you -- and you denied him his future!
Which means to me that Spock's body is important to Sarek, and that he wants it.

Later in the coversation he says:
Quote:
SAREK: He asked you to bring him to us -- and to bring that which he gave you: his Katra. His living spirit.
I can only interpret the "and" there as meaning Spock's body in addition to his Katra.

Plus, he's clearly very agitated (very agitated for a Vulcan) about Kirk's leaving Spock's body behind. If the body was unimportant, surely he believing Kirk had the Katra would have said something like "Come with me, I have a ship ready to take us to Vulcan".

As I say, you're entitled to interpret the dialogue differently, but since it makes the actions of both Sarek and Kirk inexplicable, I don't quite see the benefit.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:57 PM

I only just a few minutes realized that "The Katzenjammer Kids" is a play-on-words on "Cat's Pajamas."

(Is that actually something they intended?)
Old 09-04-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I only just a few minutes realized that "The Katzenjammer Kids" is a play-on-words on "Cat's Pajamas."

Close. It was German for "yowling of cats".

Last FM Library Thing
Old 09-04-2016, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Probably not. The comic strip debuted in 1897. The phrase doesn't appear until the 1920s.

Katzenjammer, or cat's wail, a sound of distress, is from about 1849.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:36 PM

Okay; I'm disappointed, but somewhat relieved.