Old 08-18-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blistering Barnacle View Post
I think it refers to more vanilla teen rebellion (I.e. A stronger version of "You think your nobody's fool".
It would make a lot more sense if it were "you're nobody's fool."

Last edited by terentii; 08-18-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspartan View Post
"Instead of being my deliverance, she had a strange resemblance to a cat named Frankenstein."

Why is there a cat named Frankenstein? Did this girl look like a cat?
I think that's "cat" as in a slang word for "dude", "guy", "hip gent", "cool cat".

He's just saying she's ugly.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Wagner View Post
Can you link to both looks for this woman?
Sorry, missed this post before.

The women in question is Blaithin de Burca. Here she is with short hair and glasses. Here she is with long hair and no glasses.

Yes, obviously it's the same woman. But in my defense, the series has about eight different redheaded women in it.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
I think that's "cat" as in a slang word for "dude", "guy", "hip gent", "cool cat".

Far out, Daddy-O!
Old 08-19-2017, 01:34 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Thought of another one. In the ELO song "Livin' Thing," for some reason I used to hear "Ortega or die!" in place of "I'm taking a dive" and wondered if this was some Mexican revolutionary.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post

Sure. But for a long time I didn't know/recognize the reference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2017, 01:19 AM

I just realized that the Taj Mahal is a Muslim structure!

I had always assumed it was associated with a native Indian religion like Hinduism, if it wasn't just secular. I guess the minarets should have been a dead giveaway!
Old 08-20-2017, 05:40 PM

Watching Despicable Me again and I just noticed that in the control room full of minions one of them grabs another one and kisses it when they celebrate that Gru made it into space.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Weird Science, very end. Parents are coming home and house is magically coming back together. Gary and Wyatt have on their "cool" 80s clothes and haircuts upstairs as they watch the ICBM sink through the self-repairing flooring.

But when they walk down the stairs to greet Wyatts parents, they are back to their normal "dork" clothes and haircuts.

All this time, just noticed this now.

Last edited by JohnT; 08-20-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:17 PM

OK, not really discovered since I had to look it up, but until yesterday I never knew the meaning of the 80's pop rock song "Kyrie" by Mr. Mister.

Quote:
The lyrics to "Kyrie" were written by Arizona-born John Lang who co-wrote the songs on all of Mr. Mister's albums. The music was composed by Richard Page and Steve George while on tour with Adam Ant.

Kýrie, eléison means "Lord, have mercy" in Greek, and is a part of many liturgical rites in Eastern and Western Christianity. Kýrie, eléison; Christé, eléison; Kýrie, eléison is a prayer that asks "Lord, have mercy; Christ, have mercy; Lord, have mercy".[2] According to Page the entire song is, essentially, a prayer.[3]
Old 08-21-2017, 07:39 PM

Just reread a reprint of the first Batman comic with Alfred. He shows up at Wayne Manor, saying he promised his father, who had been Thomas Wayne's butler, to become Bruce's butler.

Bruce remembers the father, whose name was Jarvis.

Jarvis was the name of the Avengers' butler in the comic books for decades. I wonder if his name came from this source, inadvertently or on purpose.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
OK, not really discovered since I had to look it up, but until yesterday I never knew the meaning of the 80's pop rock song "Kyrie" by Mr. Mister.

And this song is doubly clever because each line also works if you hear it as Kyrie lays on... (through the darkness of the night, down the road I must travel))

Old 08-23-2017, 04:18 PM

Someone pointed out to me it could also be "Carry a laser down the road that I must travel...."

Works better for me.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:16 AM

I was watching the movie Stardust again tonight. It's a fun fantasy movie--I own the blu ray and have seen it several times. I caught a couple of things this time that I really should have noticed before.

The main character (played by Charlie 'Daredevil' Cox) is trying to woo local village girl Victoria (Sienna Miller), but he has a romantic rival--Humphrey. I realized tonight that Humphrey is played by Henry Cavill. When this movie first came out he was still several years away from being the Man of Steel, but I've watched Stardust in more recent years and still hadn't recognized him until now. The blond hair threw me off.

The other thing I noticed is a throwaway line by one of the late king's sons. He says his father (played by Peter O'Toole) used to ride a camel in his youth--an obvious reference to Lawrence of Arabia.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:35 AM

I never realized how Half-Life's setting and plot are a direct reference/counter to the setting and plot of Doom which had been released just five years earlier.

Doom is the story of a top secret government research facility experimenting with teleportation technology, when suddenly something goes wrong and evil demonic creatures invade and murder everyone in the facility. Then the Space Marines are deployed but almost all are wiped out except the player character dubbed only as "The Doom Marine" who already being a badass (as elaborated on in the instruction manual when he punched his Commanding Officer after he issued an unlawful order) takes a bunch of kickass weapons and single-handedly kills all the demons and stops the invasion for good.

Half-Life is the story of a top secret government research facility experimenting with teleportation technology, when suddenly something goes wrong and evil alien creatures invade and murder everyone in the facility. Then the US Marines are deployed but almost all are wiped out except for one character (who isn't important to the discussion right now) Instead it's up to one of the brainy scientists Gordon Freeman who is most definitely NOT a badass (his biggest achievement pre-game is his Ph.D. in theoretical physics) but is forced to fend for his life anyway with initially only a crappy selection of weapons. Along the way he survives only because he's helped out by both the remaining scientist and security personnel but also by a mysterious benefactor. The game ends when he kills all the aliens and stops the invasion (though only temporarily as the games sequels point out).

It's a nice compare/contrast of how the differing ideas of protagonists in first-person shooters changed within the same decade, from all powerful badasses who don't need help to more human protagonists who heavily rely on others to win.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:25 AM

After 50+ years of watching 'Leave It To Beaver', something just dawned on me.

Eddie Haskell frequently makes cracks about 'the warden'. ("Hey, is the warden home?", "So the warden let you out tonight").

Today, out of the blue, it occurred to me that 'warden' was a play on Ward Cleaver's name.

Anyone else make (or miss) this connection?

mmm
Old 09-16-2017, 09:02 AM

I was watching the 1940 version of Pride and Prejudice the other day and burst out laughing, because the scene at the assembly ball where the camera moves between different couples reminded me so much of the Muppets ballroom sketches. Might not be related at all, but I can't unsee it now...
Old 09-16-2017, 09:13 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

I know I'm replying to posts that are a little old now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
I just got the brilliance of the title 'Forever War'. It's forever relative to the people on Earth and the reader sort of. It creates this dissonance as the reader identifies with the soldiers for whom only a few months or years pass, but the reader sees the words year: 3,011. And thinks that's forever.
The title is more brilliant than that when you consider the entire novel was an analogy of the VietnamWar and the authors feelings of alienation when he returned. At the time Vietnam was our longest war, our forever war. Now the current conflict is sometimes being described as the Forever War without many knowing where the term comes from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
Then you obviously aren't Catholic. As a teenager I understood it from hearing it in mass every week. It still seems to be a weird choice for a pop song.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:17 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueorn View Post
I was watching the 1940 version of Pride and Prejudice the other day and burst out laughing, because the scene at the assembly ball where the camera moves between different couples reminded me so much of the Muppets ballroom sketches. Might not be related at all, but I can't unsee it now...
I think the Muppets were just riffing on what was a standard camera move for those types of scenes, not paying homage to that or any other particular film.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:47 AM

OK, I've seen The Sting umpteen times, including in the theater during its initial run. Yesterday I saw it for the umpteenth plus one time and realized something that was pretty obvious.
  1. Hooker is eating in the diner
  2. He sees a suspicious character through the window
  3. He convinces Loretta the waitress to help him escape
  4. Hooker lures the hit man into the diner, Loretta helps hide Hooker in a bathroom stall
  5. Hooker runs away, but is spotted by the hit man and chased into a dead end alley
  6. The hit man runs into the dead end, but Hooker isn't there.
  7. Hit man turns around, sees someone, and a voice says "Salino".
  8. The hit man is shot dead
  9. (Skip ahead a bit)
  10. Loretta is shot be a bodyguard Gondorff hired to protect Hooker. He tells Hooker, "This is Loretta Salino, she was going to kill you." He shows Hooker her gun.

For over forty years I thought the hit man was Salino (the hit man Lonnegan ordered to kill Hooker), that Hooker's bodyguard followed them into the blind alley, called Salino's name, then shot him. Loretta was Salino's wife who was going to shoot Hooker in revenge for her husband's death.

Actually, the hit man was Cole (one of the two who botched an earlier hit attempt). He is the one who says "Salino" before he is shot. Loretta Salino was the top hit man that Lonnegan had hired. She shot Cole for muscling into her business (Lonnegan earlier mentioned that Cole was breaking the rules by continuing to go after Hooker, and Salino would be justified in taking care of him).

My interpretation has always had (at least) one big flaw: if Loretta was Salino's wife, why wouldn't she expose him to her husband when they were hiding in the bathroom?

Last edited by Marvin the Martian; 09-17-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Just noticed this today. The word Pokemon and Pikmin sound alike. Just a coincidence? Or do they do that intentionally?
Yes, I know Olimar is Mario spelled sideways with an L thrown in.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:21 PM

In David Lynch's Dune, I just noticed that Gurney Halleck (Patrick Stewart) charges into battle against the Harkonnans carrying what I assume is an Atreides war pug.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/48/58...81e65f3d89.jpg

As we eventually see Gurney again, but not the pug, I must also assume it was killed by a Harkonnen laser cat.

Last edited by msmith537; 09-20-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
In David Lynch's Dune, I just noticed that Gurney Halleck (Patrick Stewart) charges into battle against the Harkonnans carrying what I assume is an Atreides war pug.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/48/58...81e65f3d89.jpg

As we eventually see Gurney again, but not the pug, I must also assume it was killed by a Harkonnen laser cat.
The pug does show up again, near the end of the longer Smithee cut. One of Paul's adopted sons is holding it just before the "I will kill him!" duel with Sting.

So Gurney did look after the Duke's little doggie.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:33 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
My interpretation has always had (at least) one big flaw: if Loretta was Salino's wife, why wouldn't she expose him to her husband when they were hiding in the bathroom?
This is one of the reasons I've always found the "Loretta" plotline to be weak, but really enjoying the film (which I do) requires a lot of suspended disbelief.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mapp View Post
The pug does show up again, near the end of the longer Smithee cut. One of Paul's adopted sons is holding it just before the "I will kill him!" duel with Sting.

So Gurney did look after the Duke's little doggie.

This pug stuff reminds me of"Doon", the (Harvard Lampoon?) satire of "Dune".

In that one, the decadent Baron gives instructions to prepare his room. Paraphrasing from memory:

"And bring me a small boy and a schnauzer. Later I shall wish to be depraved. "
Old 09-21-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
I think most of the Colt .45 marksmanship, in all three of the Leone-Eastwood films, is preposterous. I still enjoy all three of them, though- the silliness was always part of their appeal for me.
I'm not an expert in this area, but it's my understanding that a Colt SAA can keep all the rounds in a 5" group at 25 yards. (I am not saying that Eastwood was using an SAA, just that the SAA is a very typical handgun for that general time period.) Some people claim a larger group and some smaller, depending on the condition of the weapon, the barrel length, and the type of ammunition. One problem with achieving these groups is that the sights were often deliberately made to shoot high at a certain range, but this would be irrelevant to someone shooting from the hip.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:02 PM

I've already mentioned this in another thread: Watching the first few minutes of Dark Star the other day, I noticed there's a signpost that someone (Commander Powell) has died. The crew's quarters are a complete mess, but there's still one bed neatly made up, with the Commander's hat and decorations neatly laid out on it in memoriam.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonexandScout View Post
I'm not an expert in this area, but it's my understanding that a Colt SAA can keep all the rounds in a 5" group at 25 yards. (I am not saying that Eastwood was using an SAA, just that the SAA is a very typical handgun for that general time period.) Some people claim a larger group and some smaller, depending on the condition of the weapon, the barrel length, and the type of ammunition. One problem with achieving these groups is that the sights were often deliberately made to shoot high at a certain range, but this would be irrelevant to someone shooting from the hip.
Maybe they were all using customized models, like the one Tuco made for himself at the general store/gun shop.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

For various values of "obvious", 2 of my favorite Paul Newman movies, "Slap Shot" and "The Verdict" featured riffs on the same character: a loser (for reasons) who is giving/holding a job precisely because the people in power expected him to suck at it.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:37 PM

In another Paul Newman film, the driver/sidekick character in “Twilight” is very similar to the one in “Die Hard.”
Old 10-17-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
For various values of "obvious", 2 of my favorite Paul Newman movies, "Slap Shot" and "The Verdict" featured riffs on the same character: a loser (for reasons) who is giving/holding a job precisely because the people in power expected him to suck at it.
Actually, most of the characters Newman played in his best-known movies were losers (e.g., Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, The Hustler, Cool Hand Luke). The films you mentioned were just a sub-category.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 10-23-2017, 01:18 PM

I watched the movie Hello, dolly! yesterday. Although I've seen the play onstage (ages ago, during its initial run on Broadway), and I've seen bits and pieces of the film, I've never watched it all the way through.

Irene Molloy, the milliner, and Minnie Fay, her young assistant, re walking down the street in New York. Irene looks over at Minnie, sees what she's doing, and chastises her. "Minnie! Stop eating that banana! Men are looking at us for the wrong reason!"

It took a moment before that sunk in. It's a surprising double entendre for a Gene Kelly-directed movie* from 1969. (I had a friend who was brought up in a "proper" New York girl's school. They were taught to eat bananas using spoon from a plate, to avoid any suggestive impressions)

*Ernest Lehman both produced and wrote the screenplay. Lehman, who wrote the scripts for the screen versions of several other noted musicals, also wrote the scripts for North by Northwest and Family Plot for Hitchcock. He definitely wasn't above the double entendre. I don't know if he put the line in, or if it was in the original stage version by Michael Stewart , it being so long since I saw the play, but my money's on it only being in the film.
After he finished his work on conditioning dogs, Ivan Petrovich Pavlov ambitiously tried his theories on angels, eventually training a flock of them to go and get their wings from a rack when signaled with a bell.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:50 PM
BANNED

The Battle of Wits in Princess Bride: Vizzini isn't trying to reason logically about where the poison is. He's gauging the Man in Black's reaction whenever he says it's in one or the other. Whenever he says the poison is in front of the Man in Black, he tenses up, and whenever he says that it's in front of himself, he relaxes. From there, he just had to figure out whether the Man in Black was bluffing or not, something that Vizzini is very good at.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlutEngel View Post
The Battle of Wits in Princess Bride: Vizzini isn't trying to reason logically about where the poison is. He's gauging the Man in Black's reaction whenever he says it's in one or the other. Whenever he says the poison is in front of the Man in Black, he tenses up, and whenever he says that it's in front of himself, he relaxes. From there, he just had to figure out whether the Man in Black was bluffing or not, something that Vizzini is very good at.
I've always viewed it mainly as he's stalling for time while trying to come up with a better plan. Which he does, when he comes up with the quite clever plan of switching the cups and seeing if the Man in Black drinks willingly, which he does... except of course he's been outsmarted.

(Of course, stalling for time and trying to gauge reactions are not mutually exclusive.)
Old 10-25-2017, 05:09 PM

I took it as appearing to plot logically to allow the distraction to work so he could swap the cups.

Last edited by Irishman; 10-25-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

And I took it exactly the way that BlutEngel did, way back on Page 1.

Buh-bye.

Last edited by Chronos; 10-25-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Watching Corpse Bride last night as Halloween-appropriate, I finally noticed the bookending.

In the opening scene, Victor is sketching a butterfly in a bell jar. When he's finished, he releases it and it flutters about town as the credits continue. Then at the end...
SPOILER:
when Emily sacrifices her happiness so she won't steal Victoria's, she is released from her purgatory as a whole flock of butterflies.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

In the cartoon Chowder the chef character was named Mung Dahl. I found out recently that there is an actual Oriental dish called Mung Dahl.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
This is one of the reasons I've always found the "Loretta" plotline to be weak, but really enjoying the film (which I do) requires a lot of suspended disbelief.
What ruins the whole "Loretta" thing for me is, "Yeah, let's run a diner for a month just so I can kill a guy" thing.

How did she get that job? Who owns that place? Where is the regular staff?

Still a good movie, right?
Old 11-16-2017, 12:54 AM

In listening to the audiobook of Stranger in a Strange Land, I realized Heinlein’s characters seem to do what a lot of characters do in extended dialogue scenes, which is restate the name of the person they’re speaking directly to, as a point of emphasis.

“Jubal, Do you really think she’ll go for that?”

“Michael, I don’t think that’s such a great idea.”

But in reality, how often are you going to say the name OF the person you’ve been having a one-on-one conversation with for the last ten minutes? Even as emphasis? It would be weird to be sitting with a friend and switch back to “Mario, it’s cold outside.”

Old 11-16-2017, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
What ruins the whole "Loretta" thing for me is, "Yeah, let's run a diner for a month just so I can kill a guy" thing.

How did she get that job? Who owns that place? Where is the regular staff?
The owner and staff were probably made an offer they couldn't refuse.

"Tell you what. You're gonna take a few weeks off, with pay. Don't worry, we'll call you back when we need you. So go on, disappear."
Old 11-16-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
And going even further down this side track, in the Coen’s Hudsucker Proxy Newman gives Tim Robbins a job because he expects Robbins to suck at it. (I like Hudsucker Proxy.)
Old 11-16-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baal Houtham View Post
Quote:
And going even further down this side track, in the Coen’s Hudsucker Proxy Newman gives Tim Robbins a job because he expects Robbins to suck at it. (I like Hudsucker Proxy.)
Further, he finally won the Oscar for THE COLOR OF MONEY, where -- spoilers are inevitable here, right? -- it turns out that he only beats Tom Cruise in the climactic match because, hey, a young hotshot like Cruise can only make a ton of money by throwing the thing after secretly betting on the aging has-been, see.

"The odds were a joke!"
Old 11-16-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
In listening to the audiobook of Stranger in a Strange Land, I realized Heinlein’s characters seem to do what a lot of characters do in extended dialogue scenes, which is restate the name of the person they’re speaking directly to, as a point of emphasis.

But in reality, how often are you going to say the name OF the person you’ve been having a one-on-one conversation with for the last ten minutes? Even as emphasis? It would be weird to be sitting with a friend and switch back to “Mario, it’s cold outside.”

I've listened to the audiobook of SIASL countless times (and read the book numerous times, as well), and have to admit that I never noticed this. I'll have to listen to it again sometime soon and verify this. The habit, though, clearly isn't annoying or intrusive to me, at least.

One thing I DID find annoying that shows up in the audiobook readings of Heinlein's novels (I own three -- SIASL, Starship Troopers, and Rocketship Galileo, and have listened to several others) is his habit of having characters say "So?" pretty frequently. And not in circumstances where I or people I know would use that response. It starts to get annoying.

Much as I love Heinlein's writing, this one is really starting to show its age. It's not just the image of Mars he has, which was woefully out of date when he wrote the thing*, or the social attitudes** , but the very different path that technology has taken. I don't mind the huge gap between his imagined future and reality in, say Rocketship Galileo, and he's so far ahead of the time in [Starship Troopers that I don't know if he'll ever be seen as behind the times, but it rankles in SIASL -- e-mail has completely replaced the messaging system he imagines and describes in such loving detail, his spring-wound recording "bug" is obsolete with modern digital technology, and multiple other examples of The Tech Not Taken obtrude to take your mind away from the philosophical novel within.

*I figured he had a soft spot for "Classic" SF Mars. He kept hoping in his periodic updates of his speculative piece "Where to?" that life would still be found on Mars.

** Not just towards women, but towards gays, as well. Someone wrote an internet essay on it years back "You're not shaping up too angelically, youngster."
After he finished his work on conditioning dogs, Ivan Petrovich Pavlov ambitiously tried his theories on angels, eventually training a flock of them to go and get their wings from a rack when signaled with a bell.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I realized a while back that this is a writer's favorite shortcut and it doesn't really bother me that much when I read it. What annoys me is when they do it in movies and TV shows.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
I realized a while back that this is a writer's favorite shortcut and it doesn't really bother me that much when I read it. What annoys me is when they do it in movies and TV shows.
"Look, furryman, you're my brother. I know how you felt when dad died. I know how you struggled when your daughter, Cynthia, whosename we both know, got sick. But that doesn't mean you can avoid this meeting with Mr Anderson, who we both know is dad's lawyer. My wife Michelle agrees, and so does Carol, who is the person who is married to you. Also, you have a dog named Archibald. "

Last edited by Lemur866; 11-16-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:01 PM

In the Twilight Zone episode "The 7th Is Made Up of Phantoms," the crew of the Stuart charges into the Battle of the Little Bighorn on foot, with small arms. If they wanted to help Custer, why the hell didn't they walk back over the hill and get their tank?

Last edited by terentii; 11-16-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post
"Look, furryman, you're my brother. I know how you felt when dad died. I know how you struggled when your daughter, Cynthia, whosename we both know, got sick. But that doesn't mean you can avoid this meeting with Mr Anderson, who we both know is dad's lawyer. My wife Michelle agrees, and so does Carol, who is the person who is married to you. Also, you have a dog named Archibald. "
Heh. That was exposition-a-licious!
Old 11-16-2017, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
In the Twilight Zone episode "The 7th Is Made Up of Phantoms," the crew of the Stuart charges into the Battle of the Little Bighorn on foot, with small arms. If they wanted to help Custer, why the hell didn't they walk back over the hill and get their tank?
Exactly what their CO said.

But yes, three guys, even with modern carbines and .45 arent going to change that battle. A tank would, and so in the universe they took the tank, the past changed so much they never existed.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:28 PM

I thought of this thread over the past weekend while I was listening to some Billy Joel tunes.

In New York State of Mind he sang...

It comes down to reality
and it's fine with me
'cause I've let it slide

I thought, Excuse me? You've let reality slide? You're going crazy?

And then he confirmed...

I don't have any reasons
I left them all behind.
I'm in a New York state of mind.

Wait, what? You've left reason behind?

I thought, Nah, this is just confirmation bias or something just because the randomizer put this song right after You May Be Right (I May be Crazy).

But then the instrumental break ended and he repeated the lyrics again -- exactly the same, of course.

So what's he saying?
"Yeah, I've lost my senses; I actually like New York city."?

--G!