NYC-style bakeries in Chicago?

My girlfriend recently relocated from NYC to live with me in Chicago. All in all, she seems to tolerate our little town, but she really misses the NYC bakeries. Especially those with fresh bread and rolls and bagels, cookies by the pound, fancy cakes and pies, etc.

Anyone know of a great place I can take her to fill that particular void? If it’s in Lincoln Park, we can walk to it, and that would be a huge bonus. But if it is anywhere within driving distance, it would still be a very welcome resource. Thanks, all!..TRM

I’m not familiar with Lincoln Park, but I can tell you about the two bakeries I know of from my time in Hyde Park. Medici Bakery has a good selection of breads (I’m particularly fond of their ciabatta), as well as a selection of sweet and savory pastries and cookies. Bonjour Cafe & Bakery is a wonderful French patisserie (owned & operated by a couple of French expats); I don’t believe they have breads, but if you’re looking for fancy cakes & pies, that’s where to go.

Dinkel’s Bakery is in Lakeview, so probably not walkable, but pretty close to you.

They have the. best. cinnamon rolls anywhere. Plus cookies, donuts, cakes, pies, various breads. I don’t think they have bagels, though.