The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Shoeless Shoeless is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Sunflower State
Posts: 3,774
What does "microwave safe" mean?

Does the phrase "microwave safe" have a specific meaning? If so, what is it exactly?

A little background: my wife and I have a set of four small stoneware plates that, while labeled "dishwasher and microwave safe", get ridiculously hot when placed in the microwave. This weekend we had the family over to the house for my step-daughter's birthday. She had grabbed one of these plates to warm up a couple slices of pizza. The plate was in the microwave for less than a minute. When she went to take it out it was so hot that she burned her hand and just about dropped the plate on the floor. The pizza itself was barely warm. Five minutes later, the plate was still too hot to touch. This sparked a debate among family members of just what "microwave safe" really means. I always thought it meant that it wouldn't melt or spark or disintegrate if used in the microwave. Others agreed with my step-daughter that something "microwave safe" shouldn't get so friggin' hot in thirty seconds that you can't touch it without getting a blister.
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 08-05-2009, 08:30 PM
astorian astorian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Generally, it means only that there's no metallic trim that could lead to sparking in a microwave.

As you say, many dishes and cups marked as "microwave safe" are ill-suited for use in a microwave.

Last edited by astorian; 08-05-2009 at 08:30 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Bosstone Bosstone is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
I always took it to mean that, as said, there was no metal, and also that it was strong enough to withstand the microwave. I've had certain plastic utensils melt in the dishwasher, and I imagine certain things could easily turn to goo in the microwave.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-05-2009, 10:30 PM
Harmonious Discord Harmonious Discord is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
It's means the dish won't ruin the microwave, and the microwave won't destroy the dish. Some microwave safe dishes are made as a function to heat up hot in the microwave.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-05-2009, 10:31 PM
unclelem unclelem is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
The meaning of the phrase depends on the material used, but in general it means:
The object won't melt or explode, and won't leach toxic byproducts into the food.

Here's a good description for various materials: link
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-05-2009, 10:44 PM
unclelem unclelem is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
missed the edit window, sigh, wanted to add:

Note that an "oven-safe" pyrex casserole dish won't explode or melt if you take it out of a 450 degree oven - but there sure is no expectation at all that you could do so with your bare hands.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Dewey Finn Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 17,099
Here are the instructions from the Kenmore microwave oven that's in my apartment.

Quote:
Test dinnerware or cookware before using. To test a dish for safe use, put it into oven with a cup of water beside it. Cook at 100% cook power for one minute. If the dish gets hot, do not use it.
Some dishes (melamine, some ceramic dinnerware, etc.) absorb microwave energy, becoming too hot to handle and slowing cooking times. Cooking in metal containers not designed for microwave use could damage the oven, as could containers with hidden metal (twist-ties, foil lining, staples, metallic glaze or trim).
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-05-2009, 11:08 PM
Dallas Jones Dallas Jones is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Leaving the issue of metals aside, microwave ovens work because they excite the water molecule. Things with a high water/moisture content heat faster. That is why microwaves don't seem to really heat glassware very much. Glass has a very low or no moisture content. The food gets hot and the dish stays cool, except for the heat transfered from the cooking food to the glass.

With bakeware, clayware and ceramics, the moisture content of the actual plate or bowl may be enough to cause it to crack or explode if microwaved. So 'microwave safe' baking ware is just material that has a low enough moisture content to not crack. But it still may have enough moisture to cause the dish to get hot.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Baracus Baracus is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
It seems there are two different definitions of "microwave safe". You can find numerous references to DIY tests to determine the microwave safeness of an unmarked item by putting it in the microwave with a cup of water and zapping it for a minute. If the item gets warm, it is deemed not microwave safe. Apparently this is not the definition used by manufacturers, but I am with Shoeless in that I assumed that it was.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Derleth Derleth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Apparently, in the case of one kind of bowl I owned, 'microwave safe' means 'will seriously crack if used to hold a potato being cooked in the microwave.'
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.