What are these square "barcode" type things showing up everywhere?

Recently on quite a few products - notably toiletries - I’ve noticed a small square code like a barcode only made up of square “pixels” of black and white. Are these going to replace barcodes or do they do something else entirely?

I’ve come across QR Codes which can link to websites etc, but they look bigger and more complex than the codes I’ve seen.

Here is a page with a whole bunch of different 2D barcode designs. I started noticing them a few years ago on UPS shipping labels; they are more common now.

A regular barcode can only encode information linearly. A 2D one gets you a lot more bang for the buck.

The small 2D square barcodes also appear on newer McCormick spice bottles. I emailed them asking what they were for, and they responded saying they were for internal tracking processes.

Which is a shame, because they could be using them to their advantage. You can take pictures of the barcodes with a camera phone while at the store that could read them and take you to a webpage with recipes listed. How much cooler would that be?

The last time I travelled by air I was able to check-in online. The boarding pass I printed off from my computer contained one of these new bar codes which was then scanned at the airport gate.

I also print off my own postage labels when selling books on Ebay and Amazon. There again these labels have the same square bar code.

That’s pretty standard now. On Southwest you can get your number on line, on the boarding pass with the 2D barcode.

They also go on top of microprocessors, so when they go and and when they get returned they can be scanned and entered in a database. That lets you know where everyone is, and if the ones coming back have been manufactured close together.

A news article claimed these 2D barcodes hold tons more info than the conventional bar codes. And, newer cell phones will have a 2D barcode reader. The only purpose the article could suggest was that these 2D codes can be added to gravestones to store pictures and all kinds of info on a person’s life…to be read by the cell phone reader. Other than that…and price checks…I can’t see why we all need 2D readers on our future cell phones!

Well it’s not like it’s another part. It’s just a piece of software that uses an image from the camera.

The 2D barcodes, as noted, can code a lot more information. The downside is that they’re not as easy to read. 1D barcodes can be read with a light source (laser or LED) and a single detector, and many barcode readers don’t have much more than that. 2-D code readers have to be cameras, usually CCDs. And they need enough intelligence to be able to internally rotate and interpret the image. The last company I worked for specialized in the hardware and software of machine vision for precisely these applications. Naturally, they were gung-ho for these new 2D codes.

A recent publicity campaign (of the kind where you can get free stuff via codes in the packaging) in Spain used them instead of alphanumeric codes. Instead of “enter the alphanumeric code into our webpage or send it via SMS,” you had to take a pic with your cellphone and SMS the pic.

I don’t know how well it worked.

Seems like bad ideas never die.

There’s an app for it. I downloaded one of these soon after I got my iPhone and it didn’t work all that well. I see now that there are a lot of them.

The CueCat was a horrible idea because it required everyone to get that specific piece of hardware. This only requires people to use the cell phone they already have. (Yes, there are people who will never get a cell phone. Nobody in the marketing world cares about them.)

My wife’s MyTouch phone can read barcodes. Scanning them brings up the product’s entry in the Weight Watcher’s database on her phone so she immediately knows how many points something is worth per serving. Kind of cool.

See? This is another reason the CueCat was a horrible idea: The only intended use* for the damn thing was Digital Convergence’s business model, which consisted of scanning ads to take you to the relevant corporate website. The modern cell phone barcode scanners can do useful things like this.

*(In this case, ‘intended use’ means ‘do anything else with it and Digital Convergence would sue you’. This was a genuine thing back when the CueCats were being given away free at Radio Shack.)

In the UK you can buy train tickets via a mobile phone. The phone receives a barcode which is used as a virtual ticket:-
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1050085/buy-your-train-tickets-using-your-mobile-phone

Presuming that cell phone has a camera and the ability to use the app linked above, right?

There’s one of these new-fangled “barred code” thingamabobs on a billboard downtown here. I believe it’s on a real estate sign. The code-box easily takes up a quarter of the sign.

They’re pretty spiffy. I was giving someone a mutual friend’s contact info. Instead of me reading everything and him typing everything in, I just went to the contact in my G1, clicked “create barcode” and my friend scanned it with his G1. Phone numbers, email, addresses, all instantly read & added.

Similarly, there’s a website taking advantage of these. If you find a place you like on BeerMapping.com, you can scan the barcode with your phone, and presto, you have the mobile URL for that place on your phone.

I use a G1 (Android), but there’s really no reason any cameraphone couldn’t use the technology.

Cool, I didn’t know my G1 could do that. (Though it seems to be a functionality added by the “Barcode Scanner” app and not built into Android)

I also know some people who put 2D barcodes on their business cards, which seems like a very good application. I can point my phone at the business card and import all the info.

It appears UPS uses MaxiCode, although I can’t say I’ve ever noticed it. Wikipedia has a list.