Tell me about a time when you were bone-chillingly, teeth-chatteringly scared.

Scare me.
Tell me about a time you remember when you were scared and what made you so. I’m not talking about “I have a test in a few hours” scared or “My kid is a few minutes late coming home from school” scared…I’m talking about a time you were scared of the unknown, of monsters, of ghosts, of the dark, of things that might lurk under your bed and grab you. Moments where you felt the hair on the back of your neck rise.

Tell me moments in your life that were unexplainable. That sent chills down your spine. That made your blood run cold for a second. Tell me moments you’ve experienced that made you shiver. Moments where you were creeped or freaked out by strange phenomemon, converstations, dreams, hallucinations, or even just your own imagination

It’s dark here now.
I’m sitting here in a dark room other than the glow of the computer screen.
Tell me something that will make me have to turn the light on and make sure nothing is creeping up behind me.

I was a child, spending the night on my Gradmother’s screened in porch on the second floor.
The full moon was shining rightly, and I saw the shadow of a huge creature. Then the horrible crying began. I prayed, “Sweet Jesus, save me! I’ll never be bad again!”

It was my Grandmother’s cat in heat, sitting on the window sill attracting suitors. :slight_smile:

I was in Canada (Ahhh! Canada!) and was in a haunted house that was Frankenstein themed. And part of the house was a long hall that was only lit in the center. On either side were slots that would be a door in a normal house, but was only pitch black. They forced you to walk slowly by only lighting part of the hall at a time, and you had to step over objects, and either side of you all you heard was loud knocking that followed you (behind you is dark too mind you) and next to you. They sounds would randomly change direction and be loud, then soft, the loud.

I was maybe 10 or so, but I will never forget that because I was so goddamned scared.

I once worked myself up into a serious state alone in the house - I think, dear god I can’t believe I’m admitting this, that I’d just gotten talked into seeing Jason vs. Freddy, and let’s just say that even terrible horror movies are not a good idea for me. So, I was trying to sleep, and I knew it was stupid and completely unfounded and all, but I just couldn’t let it go. And then the goddamned lights went out. So I got the dog and put him in the bedroom with me, but then he kept making noise so I couldn’t sleep. I was afraid to sleep because I was afraid of nightmares, but I was equally afraid to not sleep, because if you’re trying to sleep you know how you can get in a dark room and work yourself into a state where you’re afraid to put your hand out to turn the lights on, right? I think I stayed up all night reading.

Camping in the Superstion Mountains and a huge brown bear came upon our campsite. Luckily it must have already eaten dinner…

Not horror, I bet. :smiley:

I used to get scared when I was younger (okay younger is pushing it, even at age 16 I’d be slightly afraid) at the Unsolved Mysteries specials about ghosts and hauntings. I’d always have a long time sleeping after those.

The old Willis Beaufort house sat outside my small hometown, on a mostly forgotten gravel road like so many in the Midwest, unknown to us until we were teenagers. Its existence, location and lore was handed down from someone’s older brother or sister, though the details were sketchy.

The story went that “Willie” had had big barn dances out there, back in the days after the second World War, spending up what he’d harvested on his acres and acres of corn. His wife Ada was the acknowledged great beauty of her day and presided over it all. Everyone envied Willie.

And then Ada disappeared. Some versions say that he caught her with another man and she had abandoned Willie to run off with him. Others said he murdered her and disposed of the body…out there in the middle of nowhere, it wouldn’t be hard to do.

Literally fifty feet, on the opposite side of the road, sat a tiny old cemetery. It was probably the cemetery for the generations that had lived there, and we found some Beaufort tombstones, but they stopped around 1900, so they didn’t have Willie’s or Ada’s certainly.

One thing was sure: the farm declined, withered, and died, as did Willie in the space of five years. They had no children, and both being only children themselves, the state now owned the land. “It’s haunted, of course…Willie comes back, looking for Ada,” or, “A little boy saw a ghost of Ada carrying her own head, and he died on the spot. He’s buried in the little cemetery over there, you know.”

I’d gone out there a few times in high school, during the day, to take photos. The chicken coop, wood the color of cigarette ashes, was slowly imploding, its sides falling to center, with no glass at all where the windows had been. The house was putting up more of a fight than the chicken coop. It had waist high weeds all around and its porch was starting to collapse on one corner, but it was otherwise fairly level and plumb. Seedlings in its gutters were trying to sprout into pine trees.

It was a marvelous place to park at night. Take a girl out there, tell her the story… We’d add a few comments, like “Did you hear that?” and “Is someone coming toward the car? I better go check!” and she’d be hanging on for dear life. I think we knew it was just so much nonsense. I liked 'Salem’s Lot a bit too much, the idea that a place can embody or store up some kind of evil or whatever. It was fun to think we had something special in our little world, though, so maybe we indulged each other that. Maybe even the girls. Not that any of us would actually venture INSIDE, of course.

When I was about 21, and soooo above all that, I mentioned the place to my sister. We were running errands and we had my nephews (ten and eleven years old) in the back seat. “Well let’s just run out there and have a look around.”

On the way out, I’m terrifying the boys with the legend. We get out there, park the car, look around, and my sister says, “Let’s go in.” Inside, there were all kinds of Life magazines and old newspapers all over the bare wood floor. An old chair and couch…and a curtain to other rooms, probably the kitchen. My sister and I were sort of drinking this in, but the boys were antsy.

If the above doesn’t already demonstrate it, my ability to tell a spooky story is lacking…the boys weren’t scared. Hell no, they were in “explorer” mode, wanting to go upstairs etc. Right, have a rotten floor board give way underneath them! “Stay on this floor,” my sister said. The boys went through the curtain and came back in…oh, about 30 seconds. “Hey, guess what! There’s a man back there!” Aw geez, that Willie Beaufort bullshit I’d been feeding them!

And then the curtain opened and a nickel-plated .45 caliber, pearl-handled gun (wearing a man) stepped out. “What are you doing here?” he asked angrily.

“Uh, we were…uh…just looking around. We were…” I said

“…just leaving!” my sister finished.

“This is private property…”

“Oh, we’re, we’re sorry…we thought the state owned it…” I said.

“Yeah, we’re sorry. C’mon, boys!” sis added.

“But we wanna go upstairs!” one of them whined.

We left. :eek:

Early June, 2000. Returning from motorcycle trip to west coast, my ex-girlfriend and I passed through Rocky Mountain National Park, maybe 100 miles north of Denver, Colorado. Somewhere near the highest point on Trail Ridge Road - at about 12,000 feet - we parked at a trailhead, and started hiking. The trail climbs steeply from the parking lot, but only for about 200 yards. after traversing about 1/2 mile of flat, open terrain, we arrived at a pile of massive boulders that was maybe 20 feet high. We scrambled up to the top, making us the highest thing for maybe 15 miles in any direction, and providing spectacular views of the surrounding mountains. It was pretty cloudy and windy, and my ex was complaining about her hair refusing to behave itself.

With pictures taken and the view enjoyed, we started climbing down off the rocks. It was at this point that my hair began to crackle. This was something I had never felt before, but the instant I felt it, I put it all together:

-clouds
-ex’s fluffy hair
-my crackling hair
-highest thing for miles around

Oh fuck, this place is about to get hit by lightning!!!

I finished scrambling down off the rocks and told her we had to leave NOW, and of course that’s when the dilemma came up. Do we haul ass across a half-mile of open, flat terrain, or hunker down here in lightning-safety position (squat, heels together, hands over ears)? Oh shit, what do we do!?!?

We started jogging back toward the bike. The trail was marked at regular intervals with snow poles, basically two-inch-thick wood posts about 8 feet high. As we passed by each one I could hear them crackling, too.

In the end we made it back to the bike without incident, but we had spent maybe ten minutes in mortal fear of being struck crispy-dead at any moment. I hope I never feel that kind of fear again.

Going down a darkened hallway I passed the open bathroom door. Some light filtered in and objects in the bathroom were dimly visible. I paid them no attention.

Immediately after passing the doorway, however, the hair on the back of my neck rose up like a cat stretching, and I felt like my spine was vibrating. Something was wrong, very wrong, but I had no idea what.

With difficulty, I forced myself to turn around and walk to the bathroom door. It was as if my muscles were rigid. I peered into the room…it took a moment for me to scan the dimly grayed features of the bathroom.

The mirror over the sink was directly in line with the door – the doorway I was standing in – but I wasn’t visible in the mirror. I cast no reflection!

Yeesh.

I rushed forward and touched the mirror (which formed the door to the medicine cabinet)…and it swung shut.

It had merely been open at a subtle angle, so that I had not been in a direct line to see my own reflection.

The oddest part about this experience was that apparently my subconscious recognized that my reflection should have been visible as I crossed the doorway, and alerted me big-time that something was wrong when my peripheral vision failed to report said reflection.

Also strange was how intensely physical, almost debilitating, my body’s response was to this sense that all was not as it should be.

I was in bed asleep in my basement bedroom in college. I woke up, glanced over at my alarm clock, and noted the time. I was just about to go back to sleep when the room got very cold, and I heard someone moving down the stairs. A woman with straight dark hair stood in front of my bed. I could not move or say anything. Then she vanished, and I could move. The room was no longer cold. The clock said the same time it did when I looked at it before, so I know I wasn’t asleep for this.

I later found out that one of our next-door-neighbors, a very sweet Chinese woman in her late 20s, had drowned while camping the previous night.

When I was 14 I was “baby sitting” my younger brothers and sisters. It was a Friday night and my parents had gone out for the evening. Late in the evening I’d gotten everyone in bed and got into bed myself. Like most teenage boys I instantly fell sound a sleep. I don’t know how long I was asleep before I was wakened by a yell, an almost in human howl of rage. I opened my eyes and in the dark of my room not a foot above my face was a large bearded man yelling down at me. One giant prolonged yell. He had me pinned to my bed. I couldn’t move and all I could do was yell back. (I think I still don’t quite remember what I did)

When he stopped yelling I was absolutely catatonic. I couldn’t move. I was frozen in fright.

But I wasn’t chopped up for bait and my sibling were all OK. Turns out I’d left the doors unlocked and my father thought I needed to be taught a lesson. So he walked into my room pinned me to my bed and gave me his best infantry yell.

I literally didn’t sleep for days. I couldn’t close my eyes.

You fared better than I. In the summer of 2000 I was camping in New Mexico when a bear (just a black bear, though) came into our campsite while we were asleep. It must have stepped on the corner of the tent where my foot was, because I woke up when something sharp stabbed my foot. I thought a small branch fell onto the tent at first, then I heard the rustling on grunting outside. I woke up my friend in the tent with me and told him I thought a bear was outside. We did what were we told to do for bears, which was make noise. But it decided that instead of running away, it should swat at the noise. The bear slashed through the tent and across my friend’s face. He described it like being hit with a 2x4 with nails in the end. Blood was pouring out of four slashes on his face. Eventually the bear did wander away, and my friend has only a small scar above his right eyebrow.

Honestly, I can’t remember a scary experience that made me feel as frightened as some of the panic attacks I had before I found an SSRI that worked. There’s something about the way the fears build on one another that’s worse - at least for me - than any single thing that actually happened (or threatened to happen) to my body. So, here’s an actual cold-sweating, bone-chillingly scary experience from my life:

I was working on an upgrade of some ERP software for a large institution. The upgrade process starts with taking a copy of the database that the software runs against. That part is easy - make a backup of the database and then restore the backup into a new database. I’d done a dozen or so dry runs of the upgrade, starting with this restore process, and I had a pretty good idea how long everything should take, what a normal upgrade looks like, what errors I might encounter, and how to recover from them.

We started the for-real upgrade on a Wednesday. End of the business day, we kicked everyone off the system, shut out the end users, did some housekeeping, and ran a backup of the database. Backup finished around 11PM, and I started the process of restoring the backup to a new database, the one where we’d perform the actual upgrade process. I knew from experience that the restore process takes about 3 hours, and the software shows a nice little progress message while it’s restoring (“1% complete,” “2% complete”, etc.), so you know something’s really happening.

About a half hour into the restore, I realized that the progress message wasn’t progressing. In fact, the progress messages weren’t being displayed at all. I gave it another half hour (sometimes it takes a while if the system has to allocate space first). No progress messages. OK, I thought - I’ll kill this restore job. This kind of thing had happened before, and the solution was always to kill the restore process and restart it. Which I did. With the same result as before.

At this point, it’s 1 AM Thursday morning. I’d passed through mild consternation and puzzlement to serious nervousness, and I was becoming concerned that this was the first of many delays in the upgrade. I was beginning to wonder if by backup was just bad (this had happened before, too). I started another backup.

At 3AM Thursday morning I started another restore from my shiny new backup. No progress. I left a couple of voice mail messages for the appropriate people explaining that things were running a little behind schedule. By now, I was a basket case. Here’s roughly what I was thinking:

This restore is never going to run.
I must have broken the database server.
My god, I’m going to have to rebuild the production database server before we restore and start the upgrade.
What the hell machine am I going to build it on?
It’s not like the clients have spare servers lying around.
They’re going to fire me, I know it.
I’m going to be fired
and no one will ever hire me again
and I won’t be able to make my house payments
oh my god did I send in the last house payment on time
maybe I’m already behind on my house payments
I’m going to be evicted
and my credit is going to destroyed for the rest of my life
and I’m going to have live in a cardboard box under a bridge…

**I can always hang myself in the garage.

I was so bent out of shape that the most comforting thing I could come up with was the notion that I could kill myself. Imagine that. I spent the rest of the night huddled under a blanket, not really sleeping. The restore was complete by the time we were scheduled to start the next part of the upgrade at 7:30 Thursday morning.

And that, folks, was one really scary night.

When I was quite young I went to a haunted house that was put on by my church (strange, yes, I know) that freaked the everloving snot out of me. Granted, I believe it was meant for the teenagers and I was 8 or 9, but I went ballistic and forced my way outside, through an artificial wall that had been set up to create the path through the house. There was crying.

More recently…

I’ve always had something of a fear of water. Not like, “eek! a faucet!”, more like the thought of being out in the water and not being able to see what’s beneath me scares me pretty well. When I was 16 or so I was in Jamaica, where the beaches are crystal clear, and I had myself a snorkel and goggles and flippers, and I had set out to finally enjoy some water for once. With the snorkel, I figured, I’d be able to see all the way down to the ocean floor, so that feeling of the unknown shouldn’t be there.

And that was true. For the first time, I was in semi-deep water and not even a little concerned. My friends said I was like a shark the way I was swimming around face-down. Then I got a few hundred feet from the beach and entered an area where the floor was covered in coral. Nice, pretty coral that I’d been told will slice your foot to shreds if you try to walk over it. That triggered something in my brain. Even though I could see the bottom of the ocean, there was no way that I could put my feet down or rest if I needed to. The seafloor was off limits for me, even though it was just a few feet down.

I had a bit of a panic attack, I think. My GTFOutOfHere reflex was triggered and I started flapping my arms through the water to get back to the beach. I was gasping and swallowing a lot of water. I started to worry I’d drown, or just sink and get all cut up on the coral. When I’d finally gotten to where the water was a foot or less I crawled through the sand like a seal until I could finally plop myself on my back and breathe again.

Didn’t do much swimming after that.

My extended family (siblings, cousins) were boating on Lake Cumberland, KY. We docked and spent a few hours swimming, then everyone got on the boat for lunch. My kids were sitting on the back, with their feet dangling in the water, munching on their sandwiches. As we were eating, someone pointed out something swimming near the shore. Oddly, it made a beeline for our boats. As it approached, we quickly realized it was a snake (!), with 1/3 of its body erect and out of the water. Then we saw white of its mouth. A freaking cottonmouth! Everyone kind of froze but I had enough presence of mind to grab the kids’ life preservers and haul them back into the boat. Then I grabbed a swim noodle, which is ridiculous in hindsight, but it was all I had! I really thought that that stupid snake was going to board our boat – he was tall enough to just climb in if he wanted.

He didn’t board the boat, thank God. But he did let us know how unhappy he was to see us. I’ve never seen such an aggressive, menacing stare as I saw on that animal. I don’t even want to think of what would have happened had he entered the water five minutes earlier, with all our kids in the water.

Brrr!

A brief scene from a cyber-novel called John Dies At the End.

Main character is investigating a creepy house with his loyal dog. He finds a freezer with packages and packages of body parts in it. Realizes they are the remains of a deer killed by hunter who owns the house, and wrapped and frozen for later dining. Oh.

Later he lies down on a bed in a darkened room with his hand hanging over the side. He feels his loyal dog licking his hand. Soothing; comforting. This goes on for a few minutes until…his dog enters the room.

Hm. Dog has just arrived…so…what is licking my hand?

It turns out to be a deer’s tongue, unwrapped and thawed, and not attached to any other part of a deer. Just a tongue, licking, licking…

Then things turn weird.

Can’t remember if I’ve told this one here but it was the one time I’ve had the cold sweats of terror.

On one of of my first nights at my old place of work (a nursing home) I was in a low lit area. I heard an odd whispering, sighing noise which made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. I gathered my wits and decided to investigate. The sunroom near me was in darkness and I thought the mystery was solved when I spotted a woman sitting at the table inside. I headed toward the room to guide the wanderer out and back to bed but as I put my hand out to turn the light on she simply disappeared. That’s when I went cold and started to shake all at the same time as getting as far away from there as possible, really quickly.

Seeing as I was new to the place I kept the story to myself but I was seriously freaked. Until a few months later when staff were chatting about the ghost lady who sits in the sunroom, eeeek. I worked there for four years and I never hung about down there even in the daytime and I always, always closed the door when on an afternoon shift.

Being sucked under by an undercurrent of a fast moving river when I was about nine. Yeah, I had been told I wasn’t allowed to swim in it. Yeah, I ignored my parents. My dad jumped in and saved me.

Most things that I am associated with get destroyed. My high-school burned downed in horrific flames my senior year in a fire that literally lit up the sky for miles and my mother and I saw it in the middle of the night and drove to see what what going on as did hundreds of other people. It smoldered for over a month. My childhood church (a brick building), had a tornado drop straight down on it and completely imploded it and it had to be rebuilt from scratch. I started going a 200 year old church here in Massachusetts a few weeks before this happened:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2009/07/lightning_strik_1.html

Our 250 year old house got partially destroyed by a microburst and took over a year to restore. I lost a daughter from one of the rarest genetic diseases in the world and I got nailed by one myself. There are many, many more examples but you get the idea. If there is a God, I think that bitch is trying to kill me or at least make a statement. I am starting to get paranoid about being associated with anything or anyone because they are going to get whacked. That is certain.

I should add that if you want an acute sense of being scared, that happened a few weeks ago. The motion detector lights kept going on and off for over half an hour in the middle of the night and there were noises right outside the door. I tried to ignore it at first but then I started to get paranoid. After they went off multiple times and I heard something bumping against the door, I couldn’t take it anymore. I went into the kitchen and got my biggest butcher knife. The door in question was a glass door covered by a curtain. I finally got up the nerve to rip open the curtain with butcher knife in hand and there was a man standing not two feet in front of me! I screamed like a little girl before I realized that it was my own reflection. I still didn’t sleep for the rest of the night though.