Patch on uniform of some professional tennis players

In the US Open Series some, but not all, players, have a small rectangular patch on the uniform.

[It looks temporary. Perhaps a minority of the players are wearing it. Too small to mean anything to the TV viewer. Once this week one play got upset because her patch was coming off.]

What is the story? What, when, where, why?

Can you find a photo?

Could it be that it’s covering up a logo? Maybe the logo on their uniform is different than the one sponsoring the tournament and has to be covered. Just a guess.

I have not found an online image of the patch. I am reasonably sure that Flavia Pennetta was the one having some difficulty with it on Friday or Saturday. The patch was high on her right shoulder. I would not expect it to be covering a logo that high up on her uniform but that as good a conjecture as I have found. In older images on line she has a logo on the left side. Also, all the patches I have seen are rectangular with the horizontal dimension about three times the vertical whilst the logo in older images is more nearly square-ish.

I finally paused on a close up of the patch. It says:

SONY ERICSSON
WTA TOUR

Again this time it was high on the shoulder and did not appear to be professionally attached i.e it was not positioned well or aligned will with the seams on the uniform. And, both players in the match, a final in Torento, did not wear the patch. Dementieva was wearing the patch Sharapova was not.

So it still at least *seems *curious.

A meta-sports-forum question, perhaps.

Does no one here follow WTA closely enough to know why the amateurish display of a patch on some players or does the forums mechanisms kick it off the first page and no one notices the thread?

Thursday, Aug 28, 2009, Kuznetsova displayed the patch, attached vertically to her shoulder strap. Insofar as I could tell Razzano, Wozniacki and Mauresmo did not display the patch.

I follow it, but I have no idea what the symbol was.