Is collecting bird feathers a crime?

That’s what I keep hearing, but I can’t find the statute anywhere. My guess is that there is a law that’s intended to keep people from killing endangered birds for their plumage, but I can’t imagine that would apply to someone picking up a stray feather in his front yard and keeping it as a knickknack.

I’ve actually seen people get quite distressed at someone - even a child - picking up a feather. It all just seems like an over-the-top interpretation of a well meaning law. Tell me I’m not a criminal for using this blue jay feather as a bookmark.

My layman understanding?

Oh heck yeah its illegal. If its the “wrong” kind of feather, no matter how you got it.

The reason being, how do you prove you got that eagle feather in your front yard vs the local eagle killer?

American Indians get some exemptions and probably some researcher/conservationist types.

If you KNOW its a random blue jay or crow feather, no sweat. Not sure ? leave that sucker alone :slight_smile:

On review, I dont actually know what feathers are legal and what arent !

It is technically federal violation under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. You cannot collect feathers from any endangered birds and most other birds no matter how you get them. It is an unusually severe law if followed to the letter. You can google it but here is one explanation. There are other state and federal laws on top of it.

http://www.fws.gov/pacific/migratorybirds/mbta.htm

I never knew that collecting bird feathers was illegal. I just figured that parents telling their kids not to were doing it because ew, who knows where it’s been.

My link below gives an answer to that. Almost all of them are illegal with just a few exceptions but good luck identifying those feathers on your own.

We’ve covered this before. Even ill eagle feathers are illegal.

The other thread doesn’t say: Anyone know how thoroughly this law is enforced? Are many people who pick up feathers as a hobby (as opposed to selling them) prosecuted?

Wait a minute. So I can hunt, kill and eat a mourning dove, but I can’t keep one of its feathers?

From what everyone has said in this thread, if you can’t hunt, kill and eat it, you can’t own one of it’s feathers for any reason.

I only remember hearing about one person who was convicted for that sort of thing. In 1994, a woman named Peg Bargon sent a dream catcher that included a feather from an endangered bird to Hillary Clinton. I’ve read conflicting reports of whether Clinton turned Bargon in or if wildlife officials began investigating when they read about the gift in the press. Bargon ended up pleading guilty and paying a fine of $1,200.

As an addendum: There are rules in national and some state parks that also prevent taking things like feathers. I looked into these rules on my visit to Yellowstone earlier this year, and they made it illegal to take any part of any animal, regardless of the species or the method of acquisition.

Every once in awhile you read about a seizure of a feather collection.

Well, I found a copy of the statue here. I’ve highlighted what seems to be the relevant parts:

The penalties are pretty severe:

Six months in jail for a feather?! How ridiculous! I mean, I understand that they are trying to protect these birds, but if picking up a stray feather makes you a criminal, then the law is an ass.

I can’t believe that they can’t tweak the language to allow for the casual possession of a few feathers. This is the kind of law that makes the government in general and environmentalists in particular look like a bunch of morons.

OK, OK, I’m well into GD territory by now, so I’ll stop.

But REALLY…

The laws came about because of the wholesale slaughter of birds for ladies fashion. It seems severe now, but the feather trade was like the the current elephant tusk or tiger penis trade of today.

If Clinton accepted the gift, I wonder why she wasn’t prosecuted?

What I think they’re trying to do is protect wild birds.

I don’t think anyone could care less if you pick up a feather off the ground and save it as long as you did not harm or kill a bird to get it.

The only other issue might be with the spread of disease, but don’t quote me on it.

Yeah that is what I read too , you can’t pick up an eagle feather b/c it’s illegal ,but I wonder how many people are even aware of this . I never seen any signs in parks telling you this , have you?

Since we ask that old threads be bumped only to contribute new factual information, I’m going to close this one.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator