The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The Game Room

Old 09-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

In which sports do men and women compete equally?

I was just watching the Badminton Horse Trials and it struck me that the men and women were competing equally. Are there any other such sports?
Advertisements  
Old 09-06-2009, 10:35 AM

Archery and skeet shooting they could.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:39 AM

My guess would be that women and men compete equally in just about any sport that's not dependent on physical strength.

Hell, I've heard that if you take physical strength out of the mix, women may be superior in things like quickness, dexterity, etc...

IIRC, women and men are pretty much equal in shooting sports, archery, etc...
Old 09-06-2009, 10:47 AM

Not chess. And as far as I know, that doesn't require strength or dexterity.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Not billiards or pool, which only require a minimal amount of strength.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:49 AM

motor sports
Old 09-06-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessic Sense View Post
Not chess. And as far as I know, that doesn't require strength or dexterity.
I dunno, those pawns take a fair old bit of pushing...

I think the question was "In which sports do men and women compete as equals?", not "...could...". Are there mixed-sex shooting and archery contests?
Old 09-06-2009, 11:14 AM

horse racing , they have women jockeys and female horses.

Some college rifle teams are coed while others are not.

Last edited by Bijou Drains; 09-06-2009 at 11:15 AM..
Old 09-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotGrrrl View Post
motor sports
Not sure about that: women have a significant weight advantage there. But even in cerebral sports, I see a division. For instance, in Bridge and Chess, men and women play separately at the highest levels.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
For instance, in Bridge and Chess, men and women play separately at the highest levels.
They seem to play together in poker, if you're willing to allow that as a sport.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:07 PM

I think you need to define your question better.

What about video gaming? I don't know how many competitive female gamers there are, but I'm sure there are some.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
horse racing , they have women jockeys and female horses.
Female horses generally get a weight allowance when competing against male horses.

For example, a filly competing in the Kentucky Derby carries 121lb whereas colts are burdened with 126lb. The same rule applies in the Epsom Derby, and countless other stakes and maiden races across the sport globally.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Two women have won the Iditarod sled-dog race a total of five times between them. The race involves a lot endurance, of course, but the sledders must also push their own sled a fair amount, especially up steep rises.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Not sure about that: women have a significant weight advantage there. But even in cerebral sports, I see a division. For instance, in Bridge and Chess, men and women play separately at the highest levels.
In Bridge men and women can compete in single gender, mixed gender, or open events. The big tournaments generally offer a wide variety of events, so players can compete however they like. When I played, I usually played open events, often with a female partner.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:42 PM

Competitive eating. There's a female contestant that usually places within the top three at Nathan's Hot-Dog eating contest.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

I'm really after sports with a substantial physical element. Brain-powered games don't really count for my purposes
Old 09-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm really after sports with a substantial physical element.
In that case you probably have a fairly complete list. For physiological and anatomical reasons, women in general are just not going to be directly competitive with men at the very highest levels in any sport requiring more than a strictly limited exertion of physical strength.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 09-06-2009 at 02:04 PM..
Old 09-06-2009, 02:12 PM
BANNED

Hi friends.
According to me Chess, badminton are the games inwhich men and women can compete equally.
What you say?

Last edited by Marley23; 09-06-2009 at 04:35 PM..
Old 09-06-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alainmarsol View Post
Hi friends.
According to me Chess, badminton are the games inwhich men and women can compete equally.
What you say?
Do men and women play competitive singles in badminton? I lettered in badminton in high school (it's a big sport in some parts of California, at least) and it was always mens (singles and doubles), womens (singles and doubles) and mixed doubles. No mixed singles.

Olympic competition is the same IIRC. No mixed singles any more than you'd see it in tennis.

Car racing has women competing directly with men (Ashley Force, Danica Patrick). So does sailing (I think America True was the all-female team that competed in the America's Cup challenge, for example).

In some long-distance endurance events women beat men - for example Pam Reed won the Badwater Ultramarathon (135 mile run through Death Valley. In the summer) twice and in 2008 the top ten finishers were 5 men and 5 women.

Slight hijack - chess is not a sport. Neither is checkers, card games, Monopoly and crossword puzzles. If you can do the whole thing on a computer without altering the nature of the event it ain't a sport. It may be competitive but it's not an athletic event in any way.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgard View Post
Do men and women play competitive singles in badminton?

Heh, I think it's a bot. It picked up the word Badminton from the first post.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:11 PM

Equestrian events, badminton and sailing are the three Olympic examples. The PGA tour has had a couple of women competitors (Babe Zaharias and Annika Sorenstam). More obscure sports seem to be more equitable i.e. free-diving, dogsled racing, curling, etc. (or completely left-field examples such as swamp soccer, cheese-rolling, toe wrestling, bog snorkelling, etc.).
Old 09-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicio View Post
Heh, I think it's a bot. It picked up the word Badminton from the first post.
It seems so. What would be the purpose of such a bot? Luring people to the linked site? (I didn't click it)
Old 09-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

I've reported the probable-bot post anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catain Awesome
Equestrian events, badminton and sailing are the three Olympic examples.
Yes, I'd forgotten about sailing.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

OK, I just checked the link. It's all in French, so I'm not too sure exactly what it is, but it looks like it's about some sort of herbal something-or-other, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of the links were to buy some of whatever it was.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
IIRC, women and men are pretty much equal in shooting sports...
When I used to compete it was the case that women did reasonably well in rifle events, but not in pistol.

Famously, Margaret Murdock won a silver medal in rifle competition (which at that time included men and women) at the 1976 Olympics - the only time a woman has done that. She had the same score as the gold medal winner, but was second based on the tie-breaking scheme.

Here's a quote from the link above:
Quote:
Her first titles came as Margaret Thompson at the 1967 Pan-American Games, with two golds in smallbore shooting. Her 391 total that year in the kneeling position was a new world record – for men or women – the first time any woman had set an internationally recognized world record above the men’s mark – in any sport. Margaret Thompson Murdock continued to win titles and set records, but did not make an Olympic team until 1976. At the 1976 Olympics she tied for first place with Lanny Bassham in the smallbore, three position event. But on the examination of the targets, Bassham was awarded first place and Mrs. Murdock was relegated to the silver medal. Bassham gallantly asked Margaret Murdock to share the victory platform with him as the flag was raised and the anthem played – and rightly so.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:44 PM

Ten pin bowling, I'm sure I've seen women competing against men in that.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpayday View Post
Possibly - but Googling seems to suggest that professional bowling has separate men's and women's divisions, and that men dominate the top level of the sport.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:10 PM

There are two separate questions being answered here. One group of people is answering by noting sports in which women compete without a separate catagory. The other is answering by questioning if there are any sports in which women can compete with men at the highest levels.

The answer to the former question is that there are several. The answer to the latter question is that there are very few. Equestrian events may be the only ones easily brought to mind.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Actually, I think there are three questions here: There's a distinction between sports where women can compete, and ones where they actually do. Once upon a time, there was a question as to whether any other nationalities could compete with the Irish in boxing. Now, of course, it's clear that other nationalities have no trouble competing, but for cultural reasons, they didn't try before. It's possible that something of the same thing is true in some of the sports mentioned here. Is the relative shortage of women in the top ranks of shooting sports, for instance, because they're inferior at it, or simply because fewer women go into shooting sports?
Old 09-06-2009, 07:06 PM

Some drivers are not happy that Danica Patrick gets a break since she only weighs around 100 lbs, men average about 150 in the IRL. That 50 lbs can make a difference since the cars don't weigh that much.

In Formula 1 the cars must meet a minimum weight with the driver included so there Danica would not get a break.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpayday View Post
Where? It's separate in America, but I don't know about other countries.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
The answer to the former question is that there are several. The answer to the latter question is that there are very few. Equestrian events may be the only ones easily brought to mind.
Women compete at the highest level of yacht racing, and have broken several world records, including fastest solo circumnavigation.

Last edited by Captain_Awesome; 09-06-2009 at 07:55 PM..
Old 09-06-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Awesome View Post
Women compete at the highest level of yacht racing, and have broken several world records, including fastest solo circumnavigation.
I'll have to take your word on that; my fuzzy recollections of the America's Cup races don't bring to mind either female crew or female captains...
Old 09-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Curling in the United States: most clubs will have men's, women's and mixed leagues. For inter-club bonspiels, there's usually men's events, women's events, and mixed couples (two men, two women). Inter-club "friendlies" are usually mixed. In the Olympics and international competition, competition is single-sex.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmwood View Post
Curling in the United States: most clubs will have men's, women's and mixed leagues. For inter-club bonspiels, there's usually men's events, women's events, and mixed couples (two men, two women). Inter-club "friendlies" are usually mixed. In the Olympics and international competition, competition is single-sex.
Is there an American pro-league of curling that is coed?
Old 09-06-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotGrrrl View Post
motor sports
At the top level, motorsports require great endurance and strength, which might be a consideration.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
I'll have to take your word on that; my fuzzy recollections of the America's Cup races don't bring to mind either female crew or female captains...
America3 was an all female crewed boat that very nearly represented the US in the America's Cup in 1995.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:53 PM

As a one time event, Billie Jean King beat Bobby Riggs in tennis:

The Battle of the Sexes
Old 09-07-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Not sure about that: women have a significant weight advantage there.
I don't think women compete in European Formula One races, but over the pond there have been a few women competing in NASCAR events as well as dragster racing.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:11 AM

Just to be clear, badminton is not a sport where men and women compete against each other (except in mixed doubles). And it requires a lot of power and athleticism for smashes and jumps so women would definitely not be able to compete with men.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:50 AM

Shirley Muldowney won a lot of drag races in the 70s and 80s, she won the top fuel title 3 times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirley_Muldowney
Old 09-07-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
As a one time event, Billie Jean King beat Bobby Riggs in tennis
As your link makes clear, that was much more of a stunt than a valid match. No one seriously views men and women as even close to equal in tennis.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:

The Battle of the Sexes
Old 09-07-2009, 08:47 AM

Ultimate Frisbee, while not a seriously professional sport, is often played coed.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:57 AM

OP: Do you mean sports where men and women do compete against each other, or where they could?
Old 09-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombatminipig View Post
OP: Do you mean sports where men and women do compete against each other, or where they could?
The former. Horse trials, sailing, and sledding seem to be the three sports so far.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

The Battle of the Sexes
Uh, what?

No women on the tour, even the top 5 women, could consistently beat any man in the top 50 at tennis.

And Riggs was 55 when he played Billy Jean King. You know that whole thing was just a publicity stunt, right?
Old 09-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Is there an American pro-league of curling that is coed?
There's really not professional curling. There are "cashspiels" in Canada, but nothing like ... oh, games between something like the Saskatoon Sliders and the Edmonton Eight-Enders.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:14 PM

Does anybody know, could the world's no.1 female snooker player actually beat the world's no.32 male most of the time? If so, why aren't there women in the world snooker championship? Getting to 32 seed garners more prestige than being the women's no.1.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Shine View Post
Does anybody know, could the world's no.1 female snooker player actually beat the world's no.32 male most of the time? If so, why aren't there women in the world snooker championship? Getting to 32 seed garners more prestige than being the women's no.1.
Allison Fisher was top banana in women's snooker between 1983-1995, winning seven individual world championships during this period. She entered the male ranking system in 1994/1995 at #202, but failed to penetrate the sport's upper levels.

In 1995 Fisher moved to the US, where her record as a pool player is totally top class. Her bio page states that:

'Her tournament record compiled in the 13 years since coming to the US is unmatched in the history of professional cue-sports among men or women. She has won more 9-Ball tournaments than the total wins of all her pro competitors combined, and over 3 times as many titles as the player with the 2nd most wins in that span.'

Allison Fisher (aka the Duchess of Doom).