What Nation Is the Most Moral Nation In the World

What nation in your opinion is the most moral nation in the world. This doesn’t count any historical events before 1950 so don’t say “Germany can’t be moral due to the Holocaust”.

I would choose the Republic of Ireland as it respects human rights, doesn’t have a death penalty, has low crime, is pro-life, and generally prosperous.

Well, I guess that we can strike Germany from the list… (I kid, I kid…)

My guess would be that it would be a ridiculously small nation. Sark comes to mind (though not for any overwhelmingly good reason; it just seems like a nice place.) Ultimately, all morality is personal and what seems like a just, fair and moral public policy to some could be oppressive to others. In the end, the most moral nation in the world may simply be one that is small enough that its people can care for each other on a person by person basis and where they do just that.

Well, I can think of one country that defeated slavery, communism, fascism, nazism and baathism. But some of that happened before 1950

Sark does seem really nice; it seems just like Summerisle.

Much depends on how morality is defined. The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has a Committee for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice, which many of us in the Western world feel does not promote the virtue of morality we wish. However, the IT folks I know from the Kingdom tell me they feel the Kingdom is a very moral place, much more than any Western country they have visited.

Similarly, some people would think a pro-life country would be very immoral.

Could you really say that it’s the most moral though, seeing as how they are just getting rid of feudalism?

Not what I’d call “moral.”

I honestly can’t think of one country that would qualify . . . or even what criteria I’d use. In certain respects it could be Canada or France, but I disagree with some of their positions on civil liberties.

Morality is a concern of individuals, not nations.

Nor does that describe America, which I assume you mean. America practiced slavery for a long time; it was behind the curve in stopping it. America stalemated communism; it didn’t defeat it. The Soviet Union did if anything more than the US to stop Nazism, and the US has never shied from supporting fascism. And it replaced Baathism with something worse, after helping support it for years.

Like me, for example.

Morality is a concern of both.

There are getting on for 30 countries in the European Union and to be a member your country has to have abolished the death penalty and accepted the EU requirements on human rights. So Ireland isn’t exactly singular in either regard.
As for Ireland being propsperous, it all depends what country you are comparing it to. It’s more or less teetering on the brink of bankruptcy at the moment.

I don’t think that entire countries can be defined as moral, because what’s moral to a person raised in one culture is immoral to someone raised in a different culture.
For instance, some people think abortion is immoral. Some don’t.
Some people think the death penalty is moral. Some don’t.
Some people think homosexuality is immoral. Some don’t.
The list goes on and on.

I’d nominate Japan for their adherence to the social contract. Whenever I’m there everyone is very nice and things like theft are not a concern. Everyone from the janitor to the executives thrive to do the best they can in their position.

Conveniently ignoring supporting the IRA, strict gun laws and institutional child abuse (or whatever doesn’t float your boat). It’s kind of ridiculous to pick a random subset of your own values, label that as morality, and then cherry pick a country that appears to support that abritrary list irregardless of the bigger picture.

I’ve been to Sark and I’d like to mention that it isn’t a nation, it’s part of the UK.

And we are far from moral :frowning:

It isn’t part of the UK: it’s a British Crown Dependency.

The premise of this thread is ridiculous. I nominate Sudan for its laissez-faire attitude.

Which is a nice place to visit unless there’s been a crop failure & it’s getting to the end of April…

(“The children do love their divinity lessons.”

“But they’re naked!”

“Of course! It’s far too dangerous to jump over a fire with your clothes on.”)

There’s nothing moral about our “pro-life” stance. We have just ignored the problem and debate with a typical “Irish Solution” we ship our women over to Britain where they have the abortions. Abortions till happen, we just make it harder, more expensive and more stigmatising than some other countries in order to placate the religious.

http://www.universityobserver.ie/2009/04/28/plight-flight-and-abortion-in-ireland/

While it is true that we are generally prosperous(our economy is in the shit now but most are at the moment) we don’t treat our homeless or very poor with much respect.

We have had a very bad problem with institutional discrimination against the Irish traveller community for a long time.

To our shame the state was actively involved in the mass rape and physical abuse of our children by priests and at the very least the population of the country ignored the signs of abuse that were right in front of our eyes.

There are many other reason I wouldn’t say Ireland is the most “moral” country in the world if indeed we could even agree on a actual definition of moral, which we won’t.

I love my country but it’s not a blind rose coloured glass love.

Vatican City

Heh.

Prosperity sure is nice. I like a prosperous country. But I’m not fooled into thinking it has anything to do with morality.